Apple stuns Macworld crowd with multi-function iPhone device

1141517192022

Comments

  • Reply 321 of 439
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post


    but do not announce it on WWDC! we like to some new Macs atleast @ WWDC 07 (too early for discussion hehehe)



    Fear not. Apple will release new Macs long before that.



    I'm guessing that in 2 to 4 weeks they will hold an event to announce Q1 2007 earning, updated Macs, and introduce more features & a release date with Leopard.
  • Reply 322 of 439
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering


    I expect that Apple and 3rd party developers will create a LOT of widgets for the iPhone.



    So far, the official word is that NO 3rd-party apps allowed. I think this will change as soon as they have a version of Xcode that is optimized for creating and compiling (non-PPC or Intel CPU) programs for the iPhone's advanced interface.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering


    Office, or an Office clone (similar to Documents 2 Go on Palm)

    Video recording.



    You can always use Google Docs and Spreadsheets, assuming you are connected to the internet. TextEdit should come standard, hopefully.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering


    Can you get it inscribed when you order from the Apple Store?



    I hadn't thought of that. For $500 - $600 I expect Jobs to do the actuall encoding.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering


    Someone brought up lack of IR, so it cannot be used as a remote.



    I'm glad they didn't add this feature. It already has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth so i hope I can eventually use my iPhone to control my AppleTV.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering


    Why do so many people want 2 batteries?



    One for phone functionality and one for other non-essential stuff like video and music. This way, even if you deplete your media battery, you still have juice left to power the phone. I think the logic here is that if the phone battery dies first it would then pull from the media battery.



    Delving even deeper, Apple doesn't have to go to that much trouble. Instead, all it has to do is use its power management too disallow the media functions when the battery gets to a certain percentage.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering


    The iPhone will change the world.



    I think it already has. The one feature I think is sweet is the Random Access Voicemail. SMS and eMail have had these features for years. It seems so obvoious in retrospect. I wonder how long it'll before the other carriers and manufactures can get together to implement this system. I imagine that this was definitely something they want to include. Will they be able to pull if off?
  • Reply 323 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The current 4GB ($199) and 8GB ($249) NAND based, iPod Nanos have only a $50 difference, while the 4GB ($499) and 8GB ($599) iPhone a $100 apart.



    - Are there $50 worth of extra features for the 8GB model?

    - Is this the result of less subsidization percentage by Cingular?

    - Something else?



    thats not exactly how retail works. you don't just tack on the extra $50 cos the part cost $50 more, there is a % mark up for everything at retail, like 30% so something. its how they make money.
  • Reply 324 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kesh View Post


    GPS is built-in, as Steve demoed.



    I think you're wrong on this one. Steve demoed maps, but I didn't see anything that suggested GPS.
  • Reply 325 of 439
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    I think you're wrong on this one. Steve demoed maps, but I didn't see anything that suggested GPS.



    You are correct. He clicked on the Moscone Center from a list of favorites and it went to that location.
  • Reply 326 of 439
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent View Post






    My thoughts, exactly.







    Not if they have to make changes.



    And Both jobs and Pogue said that it wasn't finished, with placeholders for icons (For what? They didn't say.).
  • Reply 327 of 439
    He did say it knows where you are. Maybe it's some kind of triangulation
  • Reply 328 of 439
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post


    how much is the price difference (for the handset) on the market and from service providers like Cingular and t-mobile? $50 to $150???



    I will get one without contract and used in my t-mobile, 2 contracts are useless and tied with one service provider ...



    i think only in US wireless providers are so difficult, in other countries you can get service (phone line) without contract and of course no phone...



    i took a one year (minimum) for no reason with t-mobile (i did not wanted the cheapo phone they are giving for 2 year contract) ... and used my previous Moto Slvr GSM phone



    cingular "MAY" invested in the project "iPhone" so may be preferred partner



    wireless providers they have any connection with senators???



    i hope i will get the iPhone from apple store and service from apple store sooner or later



    time to give up that CDMA, CDMA is it not old technology?



    On average, the difference is $60 to $80. But high end phones are given much more.
  • Reply 329 of 439
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    So far, the official word is that NO 3rd-party apps allowed. I think this will change as soon as they have a version of Xcode that is optimized for creating and compiling (non-PPC or Intel CPU) programs for the iPhone's advanced interface.



    Official word? From whom?
  • Reply 330 of 439
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jp_flashman View Post


    thats not exactly how retail works. you don't just tack on the extra $50 cos the part cost $50 more, there is a % mark up for everything at retail, like 30% so something. its how they make money.



    If the part costs $10, then the increase to the device will be between $20 and $40.



    It depends on what it is, and how it will be installed.
  • Reply 331 of 439
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    I think you're wrong on this one. Steve demoed maps, but I didn't see anything that suggested GPS.



    He SAID it had GPS. All cellphones have AGPS in the US, at least.



    But, so far, we don't know what it refers to exactly. We've been having discussions about this all over the threads here.
  • Reply 332 of 439
    iTunes is also a great place to buy extra services/Cool Mini Apps. I want iWork/iLife Lite, WiFi or Bluetooth Remote Control App for my Mac and Apple TV and some kind of Optical Charcater Recognition app for document scanning and automatic output as PDF etc... That should just about keep me oocupied for the next 5 years!
  • Reply 333 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post


    still no comments on appleworks or text edit? Does no one else want this



    Sorry, I thought you were joking.
  • Reply 334 of 439
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    He SAID it had GPS. All cellphones have AGPS in the US, at least.



    You know Mel, saying those two things over and over aren't going to make them true. So far you have provided no evidence that either of these things are true.



    For the first point, if Jobs said it, please provide the time stamp for the time at which he said it during the keynote.



    For the second, you seem to assume that because of the E-911 regs, all phones have AGPS. But as others have pointed out several times, a mobile can triangulate its position using network basestations to an accuracy that meets the E-911 regs. Triangulation using basestations is not AGPS. If you've got some concrete evidence that all US phones have AGPS, please provide it.
  • Reply 335 of 439
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dazabrit View Post


    He did say it knows where you are. Maybe it's some kind of triangulation



    Maybe it's another pairing that they are doing with Cingular, like with RAV.

    Fact: Each cell tower is in a fixed location (obviously).

    Fact: Each call transmits the tower ID that is picking up your signal.

    Fact: This is already available to 911 Emergency





    I imagine this is how it could be done:
    1. Access Google Maps

    2. Choose the "Find Current Location" option

    3. iPhone sends request to Cingular's servers (like checking your VM)

    4. Cingular grabs the originating Tower ID from the metadata

    5. Server looks up address of Tower ID in database

    6. Server respond with coordinates

    7. iPhone auto-inputs data into Google Maps

    8. Google Maps loads location

  • Reply 336 of 439
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    THis may have already been discussed but does anybody know if you can add apps to the iPhone? Like for instance, a PDA app,
  • Reply 337 of 439
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Official word? From whom?



    Apple employees int he sit down that happened today. Sure, I have no proof they know what they are talking about and that the people relaying the info are being truthful, but for me it's god enough. Especially since Jobs didn't tout it as a feature to the 4000 geekanoids yesterday.
  • Reply 338 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Maybe it's another pairing that they are doing with Cingular, like with RAV.

    Fact: Each cell tower is in a fixed location (obviously).

    Fact: Each call transmits the tower ID that is picking up your signal.

    Fact: This is already available to 911 Emergency





    I imagine this is how it could be done:
    1. Access Google Maps

    2. Choose the "Find Current Location" option

    3. iPhone sends request to Cingular's servers (like checking your VM)

    4. Cingular grabs the originating Tower ID from the metadata

    5. Server looks up address of Tower ID in database

    6. Server respond with coordinates

    7. iPhone auto-inputs data into Google Maps

    8. Google Maps loads location




    Yeah that definately sounds like a possibility. I'd also like to say at this point that I think Cingular deserve a little more credit for their involvement. People keep complaining about their service but It sounds lie they've really pushed their teams for this project and adapted their infrastructure to allow Apple to realize their vision. It will never suit everyones taste but there you go
  • Reply 339 of 439
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

    I came across this interesting read on the developement of the iPhone.



    http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/10/comm...ion=2007011009



    Secrecy with this project was paramount and cingular played ball so to speak. Perhaps T Mobile was unwilling to do so. Cingular bought into the iPhone without ever seeing a demo of it till the very end. I think it was a couple of weeks before the keynote.



    That is an interesting article.



    I'm sure now T-Mobile would be more than cooperative to get in on this one.

    Apple should bring them on board.
  • Reply 340 of 439
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I think now that the new iPhone is out and many aspects of it are patented there may not be as great a need for secrecy going forward. Also companies may now see that it's ok to trust Apple on some things and give them leaway.
Sign In or Register to comment.