So Whos holding out for NEW hardware?

Comments

• Reply 181 of 201
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eros View Post

I cannot wait any longer. So, I am going to buy a g5 of ebay and a dell 24" to get me by until the Octo''s have new graphics card, leopard, and the new cinema displays are out. Too much waiting!!!

Why not just buy the Mac Pro, put the new graphics card in when it comes out. I guarantee it would be a lot cheaper.
  • Reply 182 of 201
    prismprism Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganT View Post

Why not just buy the Mac Pro, put the new graphics card in when it comes out. I guarantee it would be a lot cheaper.

I read somewhere a while a go that the Mac Pro with the R600 will be a bit different internally? Something to do with the dual power supply on the videocard, even though the current Mac Pro has support for it.
  • Reply 183 of 201
    is the upcoming notebook generation (santa rosa) expected within the next couple months going to be solely for mbp's, or will it also encompass regular macbooks? if it does include mb's, will the new mb's bus speeds be on par with those of the mbp's, as they are now, thus leaving the only major, non-customizable differences between the two at just video cards and screens?

also, on that note, how important are video cards for a user if they're not going to run hardcore design programs?

thanks
  • Reply 184 of 201
    walter slocombewalter slocombe Posts: 1,568member
    I need some help!

Would someone like to help me NOT buy a new mac just yet, help convince me please, I really need to hold off, but I keep looking at the 17" iMac and thinking "but it would tide me over"

The strain is starting to show
  • Reply 185 of 201
    hiddenwolfhiddenwolf Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I need some help!

Would someone like to help me NOT buy a new mac just yet, help convince me please, I really need to hold off, but I keep looking at the 17" iMac and thinking "but it would tide me over"

The strain is starting to show

imacs are a waste, why pay for a small screen that you'll have to toss out with the computer when you can buy a seperate one for probably less.
  • Reply 186 of 201
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiddenWolf View Post

imacs are a waste, why pay for a small screen that you'll have to toss out with the computer when you can buy a seperate one for probably less.

And what would you suggest he buy to go with the monitor? Mac Pro, Mac Mini, or ???.
  • Reply 187 of 201
    mmcgann11mmcgann11 Posts: 66member
    Delete me from the waiting list.

A 1.83 gHz Mini with 2GB of RAM is enroute.

So, undoubtedly, Apple will introduce something next week that will even make your children behave.
  • Reply 188 of 201
    gazfocusgazfocus Posts: 4member
    Hmm...

I'm currently itching to buy a Mac. Not sure whether I want a Mac Book Pro or a 24" iMac but I want a Mac BADLY!

I currently use a PC as I am studying IT at university but I have all the software for a Mac (as I used to own one, and miss it terribly).

I'm really tempted however, to wait for Leapoard and a hardware upgrade and just buy a cheap G4 iBook or something for now.

Any thoughts?
  • Reply 189 of 201
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gazfocus View Post

I'm really tempted however, to wait for Leapoard and a hardware upgrade and just buy a cheap G4 iBook or something for now.

Any thoughts?

That's a good idea. I've never bought new hardware that hasn't been updated for six months. In another six months a used iBook would be worth nearly what you'd pay for it now. You could make a better decision after the whole iPhone, Leopard thing has passed and Macs have been upgraded.
  • Reply 190 of 201
    onawaveonawave Posts: 4member
    ive been thinking about making the switch from pc to mac for sometime. im currently using a shuttle pc, and thinking about converting to a macbook pro just for ease of use.

however im seriously considering waiting until the new os gets released, and hopefully new hardware as well...
  • Reply 191 of 201
    walter slocombewalter slocombe Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmcgann11 View Post

Delete me from the waiting list.

A 1.83 gHz Mini with 2GB of RAM is enroute.

So, undoubtedly, Apple will introduce something next week that will even make your children behave.

Congratulations

And I hope you are right
  • Reply 192 of 201
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiddenWolf View Post

You probably won't buy a MacBook (Pro) either, why pay for a small screen that you'll have to toss out with the computer.

• Reply 193 of 201
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar View Post

You probably won't buy a MacBook (Pro) either, why pay for a small screen that you'll have to toss out with the computer.

Now I see the connection between an IMac and a laptop (MacBook). They are both portable computers, but the "portable" part is absence from the IMac.
  • Reply 194 of 201
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Now I see the connection between an IMac and a laptop (MacBook). They are both portable computers, but the "portable" part is absence from the IMac.

problem solved!
  • Reply 195 of 201
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

problem solved!

Where's the bag for the battery?
  • Reply 196 of 201
    gazfocusgazfocus Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

That's a good idea. I've never bought new hardware that hasn't been updated for six months. In another six months a used iBook would be worth nearly what you'd pay for it now. You could make a better decision after the whole iPhone, Leopard thing has passed and Macs have been upgraded.

Thanks for your reply...Think I'll do that
  • Reply 197 of 201
    kfdankfdan Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rageous View Post

*sigh

Every new product has it's bugs. If you're really concerned about not getting a buggy coputer, buy one now. It's not like the current lineup is going to be useless anytime soon. And OS upgrades are cheap.

What's the point of suffering with a crap computer you hate when there's perfectly good ones available right now?

I agree fully! I waited for the MacBook Pro C2D because it was second generation and works perfectly. I once bought the G3 B/W 350 only to have a G4 come out 6 months later with altivec and AGP! That taught me a lesson ~ don't buy the first off the line!
  • Reply 198 of 201
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

It really is time now for Apple to get off its collective butt and release some new Mac hardware. Something, anything!

Apple had to delay the new OSX to work on the iPhone. Wouldn't they have delayed new hardware resources before they delayed the OSX release? Especially after dogging MS for the delayed Vista?
  • Reply 199 of 201
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganT View Post

There's a reason why you buy Apple Care.

For a desktop?

Cause you like spending $?
  • Reply 200 of 201
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corey View Post

For a desktop?

Cause you like spending $?

No, I like peace of mind. I've been waiting this long for a new iMac, I'm not going to not get it just because some first gen Apple products have some problems.