So Whos holding out for NEW hardware?

Comments

• Reply 161 of 201
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    this rumour of seriously redesigned imacs coming in october kinda sucks since i'd really like to get a desktop asap.... HOWEVER, comments like ibuzz's remind me that if the new imacs are revolutionary (this whole touch screen thing...) it might pay to be a bit patient and sit out the first models

so as it stands, i hope they update the imacs in the next month or so and if they do i'll get a 24" or 20"
  • Reply 162 of 201
    mlondonmlondon Posts: 26member
    I need to make a MacPro purchase NOW, (already ordered 8GB of RAM yesterday) but am still not sure of the best way to proceed.

I am trying to choose between the MacPro Quad-Core 3.0 or the Eight-Core 3.0. Frankly, I dont need the 8-core right now. The performance increase is negligible at best for my uses (Aperture, Photoshop, occasional FCP work).

The real issue comes down to resale-ability. I plan to eBay MacPro later this year when the "2nd generation" MacPros are shipping. I know that the value will drop as soon as new machines are announced/shipping, but I need to keep on working.

Will the 8-core will retain its value any better, or be any easier to sell than the Quad-core?

Or might the market for the highest end machines be smaller than one step down?

I know there are very few apps that can use the 8-core now, but at the end of the year, that might change....
  • Reply 163 of 201
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlondon View Post

The real issue comes down to resale-ability. I plan to eBay MacPro later this year when the "2nd generation" MacPros are shipping. I know that the value will drop as soon as new machines are announced/shipping, but I need to keep on working.

So basically, you want to buy a product based on how well the unannounced successor of the product, which is a result of your speculation and imagination, will perform compared to it.

Your investment advisor's name doesn't happen to be Crysta L. Ball?
  • Reply 164 of 201
    mlondonmlondon Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

So basically, you want to buy a product based on how well the unannounced successor of the product, which is a result of your speculation and imagination, will perform compared to it.

Your investment advisor's name doesn't happen to be Crysta L. Ball?

(Actually her name is Crystal Ballz.... )

No, I dont want to buy based on how well the successor will perform. That was not my point.

I want to buy based on:

1) Best use of $/performance ratio for my current needs. (ie Quad-Core is probably fine, 8-Core is overkill...)

2) Resell value down the road when eventually a 2nd generation MacPro hits the shelves.
  • Reply 165 of 201
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlondon View Post

1) Best use of $/performance ratio for my current needs. (ie Quad-Core is probably fine, 8-Core is overkill...)

That's fine.

Quote:

2) Resell value down the road when eventually a 2nd generation MacPro hits the shelves.

That's not. It's utterly unpredictable. Don't waste your time trying to optimize for good resale value. Buy what you require right now, based on needs and preferences, not based on what might or might not one day happen.
  • Reply 166 of 201
    i am looking really for Apple to bring out better base specs for the 24inch iMAC.

Namely a better graphics card, more ram and more HD space standard would be a killer.

I would love the option of a glossy or matt screen but i know that will not happen.

Chris
  • Reply 167 of 201
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Glossy screens are for laptops so they appear brighter while using less power. I hope we won't see them in desktop displays since it would make no sense.

It really is time now for Apple to get off its collective butt and release some new Mac hardware. Something, anything!
  • Reply 168 of 201
    i meant it more as an option but i see your point.

I would also like the viewable screen to lower on the 20/24inch so i can run dual screen with the 20inch screen without having to put it onto a stand.
  • Reply 169 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Glossy screens are for laptops so they appear brighter while using less power. I hope we won't see them in desktop displays since it would make no sense.

It really is time now for Apple to get off its collective butt and release some new Mac hardware. Something, anything!

i disagree. glossy screens quite clearly also look nicer than matt screens when used inside and the only reservations i've heard are with regard to reflections, ostensibly caused by sunlight. a gloss screen used indoors appears to be a win-win situation, whereas on a laptop it's a difficult choice.

i certainly want glossy on my upcoming imac purchase
  • Reply 170 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

i disagree. glossy screens quite clearly also look nicer than matt screens when used inside and the only reservations i've heard are with regard to reflections, ostensibly caused by sunlight. a gloss screen used indoors appears to be a win-win situation, whereas on a laptop it's a difficult choice.

i certainly want glossy on my upcoming imac purchase

Well, I don't understand. I think matte screens look just great when they have good contrast and I don't want to see reflections of lamps or windows around the room, or my own face. I find it strange how people seem to actually like glossy screens. Oh well, different strokes...
  • Reply 171 of 201
    prismprism Posts: 75member
    I am not so much interested in Leopard as I am for new hardware.

Especially videocards.

I want to buy a Mac Pro, since a normal desktop model doesn't exist and I don't want a iMac, but the 1900XTX won't do it for me anymore.

So, I am waiting for the new videocard to be used. And I do hope it won't be the R600 seeing the current benchmarks. They suck way too hard.

Really hope Apple will see this too and choose the 8800GTX instead.

Anyways, still got some money to save before I can buy anyway, but I do hope that the next conference show will show new stuff.

After the Mac Pro I want a 30"screen. The HP L3065 atm, but that depends on what the new Cinema screens will bring.
  • Reply 172 of 201
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prism View Post

... that depends on what the new Cinema screens will bring.

What is the consensus on when and what we might expect from the new displays?
  • Reply 173 of 201
    prismprism Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

For me it's that I am still saving money for firstly the Mac Pro and then the monitor.

The monitor of choice at the moment if the HP L3065, but since I read new Apple displays will be released too soonish I will wait for those too, and then compare it to the L3065 and decide which one I want.

At the moment the HP wins because of the screen used, 3 DVI ports, 4 USB ports.

And mostly the price. The HP for me in Holland is about 400 Euro's cheaper then the Apple 30" screen.
  • Reply 174 of 201
    walter slocombewalter slocombe Posts: 1,568member
    Having already waited for announcements at Macworld in Jan, the next six weeks feel like they are going to stretch out forever I have very little belief that Apple will release an xMac, but such a thing is starting to look very tempting.

I just want dual screen capability/more screen real estate

I cant really stretch to a MacPro (its possible, but realistically doesnt make sense for me) I could get by on a core2Duo Mini if it had dual screen capability (but thats not going to happen), which leaves me looking at an iMac, which I have almost bought about 6 times in the last few days. Why hold off? well with all the leopard multi touch screen rumours going round, it would be inviting sods law for me to buy one this close to a possible release of new hardware.

The frustration is starting to get to me, COME ON APPLE! HURRY UP! use the damn Time Machine to zap us all forward 6 weeks!
  • Reply 175 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Having already waited for announcements at Macworld in Jan, the next six weeks feel like they are going to stretch out forever I have very little belief that Apple will release an xMac, but such a thing is starting to look very tempting.

I just want dual screen capability/more screen real estate

I cant really stretch to a MacPro (its possible, but realistically doesnt make sense for me) I could get by on a core2Duo Mini if it had dual screen capability (but thats not going to happen), which leaves me looking at an iMac, which I have almost bought about 6 times in the last few days. Why hold off? well with all the leopard multi touch screen rumours going round, it would be inviting sods law for me to buy one this close to a possible release of new hardware.

The frustration is starting to get to me, COME ON APPLE! HURRY UP! use the damn Time Machine to zap us all forward 6 weeks!

as lots of people point out, the first revision of any radically new technology is probably best avoided. as such, i'll be getting the next revision of the 24" imac (unless i chicken out and get the 20"!)
  • Reply 176 of 201
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

as lots of people point out, the first revision of any radically new technology is probably best avoided. as such, i'll be getting the next revision of the 24" imac (unless i chicken out and get the 20"!)

There's a reason why you buy Apple Care.
  • Reply 177 of 201
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Not soon enough as they're close to 3 years old now.
  • Reply 178 of 201
    My laptop is sort of on its last legs*, and my warranty refuses to cover it (pretty ticked), but with the student discount, a low-end Macbook Pro is really tempting. If I make enough money this summer, I might want to pull the trigger.

* = random shutdowns while on battery, cracked case, power adapter cord frayed slightly, power adapter doesn't fit into power connector very well, display not very bright, etc.
  • Reply 179 of 201
    eroseros Posts: 23member
    I cannot wait any longer. So, I am going to buy a g5 of ebay and a dell 24" to get me by until the Octo''s have new graphics card, leopard, and the new cinema displays are out. Too much waiting!!!
  • Reply 180 of 201
    One can only wait so long when planning an upgrade without going crazy. With Steve Jobs' open letter today hinting about upcoming LED displays, I now wonder if it will be a lot LONGER until the Cinemas are updated. (He made it sound like the technology isn't ready yet for large LED models.) Have been planning a 30" display purchase, possibly of the HP LP3065 after I see what Apple does with theirs. If there are no new Cinemas by the first day of summer I'm definitely going for the HP. Apple needs to get on the ball, with all of their hardware.