Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday

17810121329

Comments

  • Reply 181 of 564
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post


    Seconded.



    How many of us really know anything? I found the riddles accurate in some aspects, and even when they weren't it was pretty entertaining trying to figure them out. Surely you can see some redeeming quality in a ill-founded rumor if its entertaining.



    Sometimes it's the path, not the destination.



    We're all here to have fun right?
  • Reply 182 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post


    If that's true then the journalists are gonna groan just as much if not more than they did at the Hi-Fi event. I really hope apple learned their lesson and doens't invite a bunch of people to come and stand around one product unless it's iPhone level revolutionary.



    No matter how nice or strong the new imac is, wthout something crazy like a replacable GPU(maybe not even then), the imac just isn't enough to warrant a press event all to itself.



    Heh. I think your intuition is way off here. You seriously believe that Apple will not hold a launch event ever again until they have another iPhone-like new-segment product on their hands?



    And... a replaceable GPU would probably be the LEAST impressive thing they could show. Least impressive to the general press and their readership, anyway.



    A super-slim, super-sexy new iMac with an unexpected feature or two - I won't even try to guess, that's why they're unexpected! - is going to get them a nice bit of coverage and some hot sales. Add a demo of iLife and iWork, and another, smaller announcement, and that's a nice little event.



    This board is teeming with people who are extremely excited about a new iMac. It's not unreasonable to expect that it will surprise (and delight) us all when we actually see it. Let's not get into a mind frame where Apple must announce a 13", 8 oz tablet Mac for $199 or else not bother making a keynote out of it.
  • Reply 183 of 564
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Whatever they announce on Tuesday will be big and push up the price ,,,,here we go again ,,,,,yes.
  • Reply 184 of 564
    Crap I'm going to be in Florida. Well I guess I'm going to be bringing my iBook.



    This is going to be a great week. "Hot Rod" Friday, Florida, The Mac Event and "SuperBad" Next Friday.
  • Reply 185 of 564
    My thoughts:



    Whatever it is will probably not involve a laptop update during education iPod promotion. Since MB and MBP sales are strong during the mid-June to mid-September timeframe, there's little incentive to update them pre-Paris. However, the release of a new laptop (whether it's a 15.4 inch Macbook or a small MBP) could be in the cards.



    Although everyone is bashing the Mac Mini, I really don't think that Apple is prepared to be without a single sub-$1000 computer. While Apple is obviously a pricey brand, I don't see them abandoning the $600 - $900 market completely. I don't think anyone expects Apple to act in the $300- $600 market with the mega-crap Dells with Vista Basic, but the $600 - $900 market is not one Apple can ignore.



    What I really want to see is some use of Intel's desktop processors. The best values on the market right now are dual and quad core desktop C2D chips. You can get a 2.4 GHz quad core chip for $266. That probably won't happen unless Apple intros a single-socket Mac Pro.



    EDIT - Checked the Apple Store again. The low-end iMac is $999. My point stands anyways.
  • Reply 186 of 564
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,334member
    Whatever happens, Apple must raise its desktop sales.
  • Reply 187 of 564
    Quote:

    Whatever happens, Apple must raise its desktop sales.



    Not necessarily. Apple's laptop sales growth is more than making up for slower desktop sales, and the desktop -> laptop transition is happening across the industry. If Apple's desktop sales only grow at the industry average, Apple won't suffer.



    Fundamentally, I think that Apple's desktop sales will suffer as long as they don't use desktop chips. The Q6600 and the Q6700 as well as the Q4 Barcelona/Phenom launch will mean that by Jan of 2008, every desktop over about $1000 will be a quad-core or a high-speed (>=2.8 GHz) dual-core. If Apple's still using laptop chips in the Mac Mini and the iMac, then they'll be selling $1200 - $1600 computers with 2.4-2.6 GHz dual-core processors that'll simply get crushed by the competition.
  • Reply 188 of 564
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post


    Not necessarily. Apple's laptop sales growth is more than making up for slower desktop sales, and the desktop -> laptop transition is happening across the industry. If Apple's desktop sales only grow at the industry average, Apple won't suffer.



    Fundamentally, I think that Apple's desktop sales will suffer as long as they don't use desktop chips. The Q6600 and the Q6700 as well as the Q4 Barcelona/Phenom launch will mean that by Jan of 2008, every desktop over about $1000 will be a quad-core or a high-speed (>=2.8 GHz) dual-core. If Apple's still using laptop chips in the Mac Mini and the iMac, then they'll be selling $1200 - $1600 computers with 2.4-2.6 GHz dual-core processors that'll simply get crushed by the competition.



    Apple can't become a laptop company. To be taken seriously, they must have both.



    If sales of desktops doesn't rise, the costs for the R&D, as well as the production costs, will prevent them from having a reasonable price structure.



    When you consider just how many lines, and models, Apple has that amount to the low level of sales they comprise, you will see that none of them sells very well.
  • Reply 189 of 564
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post


    If that's true then the journalists are gonna groan just as much if not more than they did at the Hi-Fi event. I really hope apple learned their lesson and doens't invite a bunch of people to come and stand around one product unless it's iPhone level revolutionary.



    No matter how nice or strong the new imac is, wthout something crazy like a replacable GPU(maybe not even then), the imac just isn't enough to warrant a press event all to itself.





    Count me in for a new Mac Cube with replacable GPU. I will buy one if it happens, but it will never happen. Count me in for the apple home server thing someone else mentioned. I will buy one if it happens, but it will never happen.



    ecking your way off. Apple has had two products that have changed the way the world looks at something in their entire history:



    • 1 The Macintosh,

    • 2 The iPod.



    The iPhone has yet to qualify.



    If Apple waited for another industry changing idea before holding an event we would never see shit.

    Apple holds these product events now because it became clockwork with their product cycles, and people started holding off on buying until MacWorld, NAAB, and WWDC. Now when a product is ready they announce it; it's that simple. If the press wants to cover an Apple product they will, if they don't, they don't have to come but the invitation is there.
  • Reply 190 of 564
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Whatever happens, Apple must raise its desktop sales.



    If they would produce a (Pro) Mac Pro that was on par with the PC side it would help their image, and consumer perception exponentially. Until they offer equality on a Mac it will always be perceived as the little engine that couldn't to most PC users and potential workstation switchers.
  • Reply 191 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Apple can't become a laptop company. To be taken seriously, they must have both.



    If sales of desktops doesn't rise, the costs for the R&D, as well as the production costs, will prevent them from having a reasonable price structure.



    When you consider just how many lines, and models, Apple has that amount to the low level of sales they comprise, you will see that none of them sells very well.



    All computer companies are going to become laptop companies. Many users that would have bought desktops in 2004 are buying laptops now. I'm not saying that the desktop is dead, but rather that the ratio of laptops to desktops is rising industry-wide, and Apple is no exception.
  • Reply 192 of 564
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post


    OH MY GOD YOU'RE KIDDING RIGHT?



    Mostly the screen part, they may have to cut off the large tumor on the back.

    I would buy the screen by itself, if it were a good resolution that is. Maybe a good Uhdv screen.
  • Reply 193 of 564
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post


    dude, not to understate your efforts, thats not so good!



    not to reinvent the well designed working model



    Alu LCD + iMac internal = new iMac



    only thing can be done with existing Alu LCD height adjustment, other than that it ROCKS!



    Did you think i made it? Its just a google search. I liked some things about it. Why would i make somthing the i dont like half of including the fact you cant tilt the screen downwards or for that matter even have it eye level, the base is too square (more triangular would be nice, bad blending/center of gravity for the computer part, and many other items not listed. From the front, base not included, it looks pretty good (now where to put that computer)







    Here is the real next gen imac :



  • Reply 194 of 564
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by killerapp View Post


    They're going to announce the discontinuation of the Mac Mini.



    However the recently leaked photos of the thin keyboard are not for the iMac but for a new Mac Pro Cube, basically a Mac Pro but without the expandability and inside a small six-inch cube, powerful enough for gaming and just in time for back-to-school, with a $699 pricetag.



    I saw this at the Macwold forums



    Quote:

    The new iMac will definitely appease those who have been clamoring for a headless iMac. The new iMac is going to replace the Mac mini as well, which will be EOL'd. The new iMac still won't be easily user upgradeable (aside from RAM), but at least it will let you use your own display if you choose. But Apple is going to offer a really neat way to integrate the iMac with a new Cinema Display design that will make you want to buy Apple's display. But at least you'll have a choice now.



    There will be no multi-touch on the new iMac. And desktop variants of the Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quads will be used instead of the mobile versions used in the MacBooks.



    The new iMac and Cinema Display will be sold separately and bundled together with a slight discount. Expect the cheapest bundle to start around $1200 (iMac + 20" Cinema Display).



    And there may be a "one more thing..." on Tuesday.



    Corroboration? Coincidation? Price points are similar.
  • Reply 195 of 564
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post


    Did you think i made it? Its just a google search. I liked some things about it. Why would i make somthing the i dont like half of including the fact you cant tilt the screen downwards or for that matter even have it eye level, the base is too square (more triangular would be nice, bad blending/center of gravity for the computer part, and many other items not listed. From the front, base not included, it looks pretty good (now where to put that computer)







    Here is the real next gen imac :




    ok, i thought you created the mock up.



    5 more days!
  • Reply 196 of 564
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post


    All computer companies are going to become laptop companies. Many users that would have bought desktops in 2004 are buying laptops now. I'm not saying that the desktop is dead, but rather that the ratio of laptops to desktops is rising industry-wide, and Apple is no exception.



    With everyone I know It's because of economics not need or want. The fact that people can not afford what they could in the 80's & 90's is affecting their decisions. I don't know anyone that would buy a second laptop because all they do is bitch about it. Which leads me to believe there will be a strong resurgence of desktop sales once again.
  • Reply 197 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    It isn't a teeny keyboard, it's a huge monitor.



    Besides the plastic foot would be unstable, all plastic bends, so it would cause the computer to shake back and forth every time you touched it to put in a DVd, etc.







    No. Pb and Clive are right. It is a Mac Pro with the top cut off, in a hideous red.



    It would also be rather distracting having a transparent design like that, it is lovely to look at tho.



    Anything behind it would be visible, books on book shelves, moths fluttering by, flies landing in the way.
  • Reply 198 of 564
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post


    If they would produce a (Pro) Mac Pro that was on par with the PC side it would help their image, and consumer perception exponentially. Until they offer equality on a Mac it will always be perceived as the little engine that couldn't to most PC users and potential workstation switchers.



    I'm not quite sure what that means. A Pro Mac Pro?



    The Mac Pro is at least equal with anything comparable pricewise in the PC world. Those comparisons have already been made.
  • Reply 199 of 564
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post


    All computer companies are going to become laptop companies. Many users that would have bought desktops in 2004 are buying laptops now. I'm not saying that the desktop is dead, but rather that the ratio of laptops to desktops is rising industry-wide, and Apple is no exception.



    No, they aren't. There are vast numbers of desktop machines in every educational facility, business office, and governmental office as well. They arte not going to be replaced with laptops



    At some point, which might be closer than you think, the percentage of swing towards laptops will slow, then stop.



    The reason why Apple has a greater ratio of laptop to desktop sales than most other companies isn't because there is just a swing to laptops, but also because Apple's desktop lines aren't as desirable.



    It's easy to say, as Jobs did a year or two back, that it's the year of the portable, if your desktops simply aren't selling.
  • Reply 200 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bayaryaan View Post


    I realize that many of you Mac nutjobs feel that Apple can do no wrong, but the iPhone was released way too early, and it shows. It crashed my Vista machine due to a KNOWN problem with syncing photos)

    the Safari browser crashes constantly, and the email application is a useless piece of garbage.

    I've been debating whether to buy the new iMac immediately, or wait until the new O/S arrives. After my experience with the iPhone, I'm thinking I'll wait, but not until the new O/S comes out; I'm going to wait 6 months until the bugs are truly worked out of the O/S. Apple bit a little too much off to get all this done at once, and it shows. You little wankers, wearing your 7 for all mankind jeans and mock turtlenecks, dialing away on your iphones and waiting for the new brushed aluminum iMacs need to GET A LIFE. Apple is just like Microsoft, just with better marketing.



    In comparison to what, Outlook?



    Which particular known photo syncing bug do you refer to?



    I am interested to know also, which particular rev 1. touchscreen phone you might be comparing this to, so as we can all add to our inferior knowledge base.
Sign In or Register to comment.