Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday

1679111229

Comments

  • Reply 161 of 564
    They're going to announce the discontinuation of the Mac Mini.



    However the recently leaked photos of the thin keyboard are not for the iMac but for a new Mac Pro Cube, basically a Mac Pro but without the expandability and inside a small six-inch cube, powerful enough for gaming and just in time for back-to-school, with a $699 pricetag.
  • Reply 162 of 564
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by killerapp View Post


    They're going to announce the discontinuation of the Mac Mini.



    However the recently leaked photos of the thin keyboard are not for the iMac but for a new Mac Pro Cube, basically a Mac Pro but without the expandability and inside a small six-inch cube, powerful enough for gaming and just in time for back-to-school, with a $699 pricetag.



    Wishful thinking.



    A GPU 'powerful enough for gaming' wouldn't even fit in a six inch cube.
  • Reply 163 of 564
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Make it an 8 inch cube and I'll believe you.
  • Reply 164 of 564
    ipeteipete Posts: 27member
    What if the whole mac is in the keyboard? Take it with you plug in anywhere.



    Just my two cents but I thinks the key is in the keyboard.
  • Reply 165 of 564
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacWannaBe View Post


    I think that the above is irrelevant. Fact is, the picture is just plain ugly. Not a hope that the iMac is going to look like that.



    The point was to show that how one couldn't make such judgements as Clive At Five did based on, yes, a "truly ugly picture," no matter how unreal it may be. Nothing more.
  • Reply 166 of 564
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipete View Post


    What if the whole mac is in the keyboard? Take it with you plug in anywhere.



    Just my two cents but I thinks the key is in the keyboard.



    10 to 15 years YES!, not now!
  • Reply 167 of 564
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by killerapp View Post


    They're going to announce the discontinuation of the Mac Mini.



    However the recently leaked photos of the thin keyboard are not for the iMac but for a new Mac Pro Cube, basically a Mac Pro but without the expandability and inside a small six-inch cube, powerful enough for gaming and just in time for back-to-school, with a $699 pricetag.



    $699? are you missing the 1 before?
  • Reply 168 of 564
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post


    10 to 15 years YES!, not now!



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_1200

  • Reply 169 of 564
    I'm amazed no one has jumped on the "It's a new iMac and a Tablet!" bandwagon yet. We've got most of the other bandwagons covered, so far, it seems.
  • Reply 170 of 564
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChevalierMalFet View Post


    I'm amazed no one has jumped on the "It's a new iMac and a Tablet!" bandwagon yet.



    Are there still people that expect Apple to bring out a tablet some time soon? Oh dear



    A Mac tablet, the ModBook, has been available since January and I haven't heard anything about it setting the world on fire.
  • Reply 171 of 564
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post


    not if new imac buyers are granted a discount on the leopard upgrade!



    Or it is free.
  • Reply 172 of 564
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    Are there still people that expect Apple to bring out a tablet some time soon? Oh dear



    A Mac tablet, the ModBook, has been available since January and I haven't heard anything about it setting the world on fire.



    That's because the ModBook is a slate, they are useless, and Apple announced the iPhone within a short timeframe of it, but If it were a slim convertible tablet I would have one.
  • Reply 173 of 564
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipete View Post


    What if the whole mac is in the keyboard? Take it with you plug in anywhere.



    Just my two cents but I thinks the key is in the keyboard.



    That was my old Atari ST's. You did need an external floppy, HD, and CD though. There is no way these would fit into a keyboard, unless a 1.8" HD is used, and they are too slow.



    The machine could be a bit smaller today, but not by much.



    http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=24
  • Reply 174 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipete View Post


    What if the whole mac is in the keyboard? Take it with you plug in anywhere.



    Just my two cents but I thinks the key is in the keyboard.



    My Commodore 64 just gasped.



    I really hope Apple announces an update for the mini. I think it's essential to have an affordable entry level machine for potential switchers.



    I don't see a Pro Cube coming, but I'd love it. Five years ago, I was bummed when Macs went from four empty PCI slots down to three. I had my Mac maxed out and was considering buying an expansion chassis. Today, I'm not using a single PCI slot. Everything is going USB and firewire (ok, I WISH everything was going firewire!, but that's another rant) I'm not saying that nobody needs PCI slots anymore, but fewer and fewer of us seem to.



    In time, I see the Pro tower becoming a specialty item, similar to the xserve. The iMac is a great machine... but I don't need a new monitor, so why should I buy one?
  • Reply 175 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idoaudio View Post


    My Commodore 64 just gasped.



    I really hope Apple announces an update for the mini. I think it's essential to have an affordable entry level machine for potential switchers.



    I don't see a Pro Cube coming, but I'd love it. Five years ago, I was bummed when Macs went from four empty PCI slots down to three. I had my Mac maxed out and was considering buying an expansion chassis. Today, I'm not using a single PCI slot. Everything is going USB and firewire (ok, I WISH everything was going firewire!, but that's another rant) I'm not saying that nobody needs PCI slots anymore, but fewer and fewer of us seem to.



    In time, I see the Pro tower becoming a specialty item, similar to the xserve. The iMac is a great machine... but I don't need a new monitor, so why should I buy one?



    you need pci-e slots for video cards and raid cards.

    Also sounds cards are still pci based now days.
  • Reply 176 of 564
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post


    you need pci-e slots for video cards and raid cards.

    Also sounds cards are still pci based now days.



    There are loads of PCI TV tuner cards as well.
  • Reply 177 of 564
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    This event is for new iMacs, so let's not get ahead of ourselves and even think we'll be getting anything else. If we do then great, but keep a leash on those hopes.



    If that's true then the journalists are gonna groan just as much if not more than they did at the Hi-Fi event. I really hope apple learned their lesson and doens't invite a bunch of people to come and stand around one product unless it's iPhone level revolutionary.



    No matter how nice or strong the new imac is, wthout something crazy like a replacable GPU(maybe not even then), the imac just isn't enough to warrant a press event all to itself.





    Count me in for a new Mac Cube with replacable GPU. I will buy one if it happens, but it will never happen. Count me in for the apple home server thing someone else mentioned. I will buy one if it happens, but it will never happen.
  • Reply 178 of 564
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Mac Mini with an independent GPU...

    Mac Mini with an independent GPU...

    Mac Mini with an independent GPU...

    Mac Mini with an independent GPU...



    *Crosses fingers*



    I know, very unlikely, but I'd buy one in a heartbeat with an X1300 or X1600...
  • Reply 179 of 564
    Apple had the 3 GHz Quad Xeon Clovertown 4 months before PCs. They got special treatment, maybe as payment for moving everything to Intel chips. So now picture this: On Aug. 7th Apple could announce that the top of the line Mac Pro will now carry the new 3.16 Harpertown Xeons, 4 months before expected release. Now THat I would buy. (Ok, so actually I'd get the 2.9 version because the very top would probably be crazy expensive, and the slower Harpertown would still be faster than the current 3.0 Clovertowns.)
  • Reply 180 of 564
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_1200





    CPU: Motorola 68EC020 (14.32 MHz NTSC, 14.18 MHz PAL unless you want to run this CPU now



    CPU fans are bigger than CPU nowadays - me



    CPU prices are cheaper than CPU fans - some AMD executive
Sign In or Register to comment.