Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 241 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Ohhhh, it's official

Warner Goes Blu-ray...

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...700383,00.html

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...-blu-ray_N.htm

What a fantastic day. Now we can all rejoice in having ONE true format and start enjoying what really matters--high-def movies!

• Reply 242 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

LOL...I'm actually watching Knocked Up w/a friend tonight. Well what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I knew when the Paramount deal went through that there'd be some blowback. All in all the studios screwed consumers.

So, honestly Murch, buddy, do you think this marks the end of the format war?
  • Reply 243 of 2639
  • Reply 244 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    So how much do you think Warner got paid Marz?
  • Reply 245 of 2639
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

So, honestly Murch, buddy, do you think this marks the end of the format war?

Yup

HD DVD could have lost Paramount and not felt the effects as bad as losing Warner who's delivered more movies than anyone I believe.

CES 08 is going to be "really" interesting. I can't see anything that could happen to the HD DVD camp that that would offset this loss.

Sony and the BDA ante upped when they had to and made it happen.
  • Reply 246 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    All I can say is OMG!!!! I had no idea this was coming so quickly.

So what exactly is the deal with paramount? Do they have to back HD-DVD exclusively for the remainder of their one year deal, or something?
  • Reply 247 of 2639
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

So how much do you think Warner got paid...

I'm sure they walked away pretty satisfied with themselves. On the other hand, if this can hasten the day when someone can just buy a new player for movies and not worry if that disc they're buying will play in it then it's money well spent.
  • Reply 248 of 2639
    Finally.
  • Reply 249 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

So how much do you think Warner got paid Marz?

a staggering amount is my guess. Probably 3x-4x what Paramount got.
  • Reply 250 of 2639
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

HD DVD could have lost Paramount and not felt the effects as bad as losing Warner who's delivered more movies than anyone I believe

Hopefully Paramount and Dreamworks will be forced to remain HD-DVD exclusive due to their earlier bribe action, and hopefully they will lose all that bribe money and more due to lost sales.

In fact, I hope they spent a mint on HD-DVD production equipment...
  • Reply 251 of 2639
    Quote:

I think you are probably right Murch and Frank777. They most likely had "incentives" for going Blu. I'm seriously just glad, like Bancho said, that now consumers can go buy Blu-ray and not have to worry about a format war.

Now we can all be assured in enjoying high-def goodness and the real battle can begin between Blu-ray and DVD.
  • Reply 252 of 2639
    Quote:

Can you express that in quantities of booze and hookers?

• Reply 253 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I wonder what the Blu Ray vs. HD-DVD weekly Numbers will be looking like in two months from now?

This is actually a big blow to Paramount. Their sales have no where to go but down. It's a major blow to paramount. If I had stocks in paramount I'd be getting the heck out right about now.

I wouldn't doubt it if they buy their way back out of their one year contractual obligation with HD-DVD and went dual format. Real quick like. Whatever they got paid probably isn't going to equal what a years worth of good Blu Ray sales is., and I doubt it's going to cover the loss they'll see from lack of HD-DVD sales.
  • Reply 254 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

All I can say is OMG!!!! I had no idea this was coming so quickly.

So what exactly is the deal with paramount? Do they have to back HD-DVD exclusively for the remainder of their one year deal, or something?

I would imagine that Parmount had clauses in their agreement with HD DVD that gave them an out for an event just like this.
  • Reply 255 of 2639
    Quote:

I think you are probably right Murch and Frank777. They most likely had "incentives" for going Blu. I'm seriously just glad, like Bancho said, that now consumers can go buy Blu-ray and not have to worry about a format war.

Now we can all be assured in enjoying high-def goodness and the real battle can begin between Blu-ray and DVD.

How long until typical consumers are aware of this news? A lot of people aren't with the times.
  • Reply 256 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Can you express that in quantities of booze and hookers?

Sure

In America- a lot of booze and hookers.

In Malaysia- an absolutely UNGODLY amount of booze ..hookers and freaky stuff...for your village!

Truthfully I've grown weary of the format war. In the end it came down to who wanted it more and Sony and the BDA dug in and did what they had to do. I'll keep my HD DVD player and pick up movies on firesale from craigslist but it looks like Blu will be in my home sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 257 of 2639
    It was my understanding that Paramount's deal was for 18 months, not 12.
  • Reply 258 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

It was my understanding that Paramount's deal was for 18 months, not 12.

You are correct. However, no one knows what clauses were in the contract for both sides.
  • Reply 259 of 2639
    Okay, I'm about to post some humor...some humor...I think we all could use some...I just felt this clip summed up HD DVD predicament given the Warner announcement...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs

...please take the above video with comedic connotation that is intended. If you listen closely, they say, "bring out your DUD..."
  • Reply 260 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

You see, this is precisely the kind of hypocrisy the Sonytards are known for.

You spent half your posts railing against the Paramount "bribe" once the news came out and ridiculed anyone who said $150 million in marketing incentives was peanuts and not even the budget for one movie.

But when your format is in the exact same position, you call the payments "incentives" without a trace of remorse.

The end justifies the means. Just like Sony's approach to DRMed media over the years.