Comments

• Reply 421 of 2639
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Paramount/Dreamworks - No New Title Announcements for CES

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...;UPDATED]/1345

Telling perhaps? Uh-oh HD DVD...uh-oh.

They had not announced it in CES 2007, either. It was FOX who announce bunch of title list and then were put on the MIA list. CES is a CE show for hardware. \
  • Reply 422 of 2639
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

While I agree that RENTALS are heading into the on-demand digital video download format, I think sales, unlike with music will remain on a physical media for a long time. Computer storage isn't to the point where people can store tons of HD movies on their computer. Very quickly they will run out of space. But more importantly, portable storage, i.e. an iPod, is nowhere NEAR the capacity required for that to work. With hard drive MP3 players, you can stored (virtually) unlimited music. I mean, who has 60,000 songs? But when one dual layer blu-ray disc can store 100 GB of HD video or music, is very thin and portable, and very durable/scratch resistant, it's common sense. For rentals where the movie will only be around for a limited time anyways, digital download/on-demand is perfect.

Yep. That and the only way you can lose your entire movie collection with physical media is a housefire, act of god or theft; not very common. But with digital downloads, a hard drive failure means you lose your entire collection instantly. I'd bet nearly everyone has been the victim of a hard drive failure or seven in their lifetime. I think we need massive solid-state storage before we can seriously think about putting thousands of dollars of movies in a box the size of your hand.
  • Reply 423 of 2639
    paramount is next out the door hahaha!
  • Reply 424 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Yep. That and the only way you can lose your entire movie collection with physical media is a housefire, act of god or theft; not very common. But with digital downloads, a hard drive failure means you lose your entire collection instantly. I'd bet nearly everyone has been the victim of a hard drive failure or seven in their lifetime. I think we need massive solid-state storage before we can seriously think about putting thousands of dollars of movies in a box the size of your hand.

It all depends. If the companies providing digital downloads allowed for, 5 downloads of your file (or unlimited downloads) you don't have to worry about "losing" your song/video/game etc.

Plus, I trust my server to stand up better to my (future) kids than some optical disk. Plus which is easier:

- scroll through a graphical list of movies

- click play

or:

- Navigate through the rack of DVDs

- put it in the player (hoping it isn't dusty, scratched, etc)

- wait for the FBI/CIA/DEA/DRM warning (and thankfully in multiple languages)

- wait through the forced "enhanced" movie ads

- hit play

Personal VoD is the future! It is hear now, in very rudimentary form (AppleTV plus external USB hard drive, server, etc). Optical disks are a dieing breed, and in 5 years we will be either legally/illegally (depending on your view) "ripping" our HDMs or downloading HD content from someone. Hell, I'm so sick of the studios at this point (with the whole writers strike, plus the crap that has been churned out as of late) i'm more interested in seeing what some independents can do and distribute via the internet.
  • Reply 425 of 2639
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

It all depends. If the companies providing digital downloads allowed for, 5 downloads of your file (or unlimited downloads) you don't have to worry about "losing" your song/video/game etc.

Plus, I trust my server to stand up better to my (future) kids than some optical disk. Plus which is easier:

- click play

or:

- hit play

Personal VoD is the future! It is hear now, in very rudimentary form (AppleTV plus external USB hard drive, server, etc). Optical disks are a dieing breed, and in 5 years we will be either legally/illegally (depending on your view) "ripping" our HDMs or downloading HD content from someone. Hell, I'm so sick of the studios at this point (with the whole writers strike, plus the crap that has been churned out as of late) i'm more interested in seeing what some independents can do and distribute via the internet.

I don't doubt for a second that internet-based media is the wave of the future, I'm just saying there's some major obstacles that have to be resolved before a media server of sorts becomes more than nerdwank. The bandwidth isn't there, massive reliable storage isn't there, and even if it were few people trust having thousands of dollars of media tied to a single corporation's device (or family of devices). The ability to redownload lost media would certainly go a long way, but how about the ability to redownload it from any online media store, be it the Microsoft Zune Store or the iTunes Music Store? That way, your purchases and playback possibilities aren't tied to a single device through via a single file with a proprietary DRM. I think digital media purchasing needs to reach a point where, when you buy a movie, you're buying a license to download that movie in any format from any cooperating online store. Otherwise, it's going to remain a niche market in favor of play-in-all-my-things physical media.

Anyone who thinks we can't go without at least one more generation of physical discs for games and movies after standard-definition DVD is crazy.
  • Reply 426 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104 View Post

paramount is next out the door hahaha!

Daring Fireball linked to a Financial Times article that Paramount has decided to switch to Blu-Ray:

FT: Paramount in HD DVD blow

The format war may be coming to an end. As I don't have a horse in the race, it doesn't feel like a victory. I just hope we will have a method to put the video onto the computer...

EDIT: Poor phrasing.
  • Reply 427 of 2639
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

- click play

or:

- hit play

• You can bet your bottom dollar that digital copies will have FBI warnings as well.

• Current cost of storage is prohibative of any mass collection of movies on hard disk right now and probably for the next few years at least.

• Hard drives will always be liable for failure. You'll have to back up, and that requires 2x storage.

• Blu-Ray discs are said to be EXTREMLY scratch resistant.

• Dust only matters if it's on the players sensor. Newer DVD players could be easily and cheaply equipt with sensor cleaners.

• Physical media allows for maximum portability and is more universal. Bring it on the road with you. Pop it in someone else's DVD player or computer.

• DVD data cannot be corrupted like digital media files on hard drive can.

• Standard media allows for special features.

• HD-DVD and Blu-Ray offer great HD quality at 1080p, not just 720p as would probably be the best case senario with on-demand.

• Internet speeds are not to the point where downloads are more convienient than netflixing, using cable on-demand, or just driving to blockbuster.

• Studios could create a system where it's very easy to create digital files from a DVD with an added DRM.

• Unlike with music where you may just buy a single track from an album, you always buy the whole movie. This means there is no significant advantage to digital download over physical media as there is with music.

• Reply 428 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

They had not announced it in CES 2007, either. It was FOX who announce bunch of title list and then were put on the MIA list. CES is a CE show for hardware. \

Well, maybe this will help you get out of that funky HD DVD haze and realize that the end of this war is here...

http://www.tvpredictions.com/paramount010708.htm

Quote:

Paramount is "poised" to drop its exclusive support of HD DVD and back Blu-ray instead.

That's according to an article by The Financial Times.

Paramount announced last August that it would endorse HD DVD exclusively in the high-def DVD format war. The studio's agreement with the HD DVD group reportedly was set for 18 months.

However, the Financial Times reports that the agreement has a clause that would allow Paramount to drop its support of HD DVD if Warner Bros. backed Blu-ray.

Warner last Friday dropped its neutral stance in the war and announced it was supporting Blu-ray exclusively.

The newspaper cites "people familiar with the situation" in reporting the out clause.

If Paramount endorses Blu-ray, the move would leave HD DVD with only one major studio (Universal) while Blu-ray would have the support of six major studios. It would be difficult for HD DVD to continue with those odds.

Financial Times says it's not clear if DreamWorks, which has also endorsed HD DVD, has the same out clause as Paramount.

I said it before, and I'll go ahead and say it again...

if this is true this definately serves Universal right. They had more than ample time to make a GREAT deal with the BDA for royalties, incentives, etc. but decided to listen to the likes of Graffeo, who obviously steered the HD division right into the crapper. I stated that at last year's CES that Univeral shoud have opted for neutrality since they had the most clout being the only exclusive studio for HD DVD, but if they waited too long the BDA would simply give them the finger and leave them nothing but crumbs...that is exactly what they're going to get if this report comes to fruition.
  • Reply 429 of 2639
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Moreover, I think you seriously have some sort of pirating issues you need to sort out, as you are the individual giving the biggest stink about DRM

Come on. That's crap and you know it.

Haven't you ever ripped a CD (or a hundred) in iTunes for you own personal use?

Have you not caught on to the fact that being able to rip video as well would be kind of useful? It's got nothing to do with piracy.

Quote:

when most people can honestly care less what DRM is on the disc, as long as it plays, and plays beautifully.

can honestly not care less
  • Reply 430 of 2639
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

can honestly not care less

honestly care less, while perhaps grammatically strange, is the phrase that's used in the U.S.
  • Reply 431 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

honestly care less, while perhaps grammatically strange, is the phrase that's used in the U.S.

Not by all Americans.

When using "I could care less", the tone should be sarcastic. Sarcasm is hard to imply in writing so "like I could care less" would work, but "I could not care less" would be preferable.

The phrase "can honestly care less" is not sarcastic and therefore does not mean what marzetta7 wanted it to mean.
  • Reply 432 of 2639
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    I could honesty NOT care less how it is said.
  • Reply 433 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Not by all Americans.

When using "I could care less", the tone should be sarcastic. Sarcasm is hard to imply in writing so "like I could care less" would work, but "I could not care less" would be preferable.

The phrase "can honestly care less" is not sarcastic and therefore does not mean what marzetta7 wanted it to mean.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU..

EVERY time I read "I could care less" when they actually mean "Couldn't" I go to a state of near self implosion .. It's gotten less annoying over the years, but Joseph wept, it's.. staggeringly stupid.

don't start me on the idiots who wish Apple would "sale" a new iPod, or the spammers one occasionally see posting Nokia xyz phones for "sell"

UGH.

[rant off]

Funny how one can tolerate it in person when its broken english due to it not being a speakers first language.
  • Reply 434 of 2639
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post
    • You can bet your bottom dollar that digital copies will have FBI warnings as well.

• Current cost of storage is prohibative of any mass collection of movies on hard disk right now and probably for the next few years at least.

• Hard drives will always be liable for failure. You'll have to back up, and that requires 2x storage.

• Physical media allows for maximum portability and is more universal. Bring it on the road with you. Pop it in someone else's DVD player or computer.

• DVD data cannot be corrupted like digital media files on hard drive can.

• Standard media allows for special features.

• HD-DVD and Blu-Ray offer great HD quality at 1080p, not just 720p as would probably be the best case senario with on-demand.

• Internet speeds are not to the point where downloads are more convienient than netflixing, using cable on-demand, or just driving to blockbuster.

• While I haven't downloaded an iTunes movie yet, the TV Shows have no such warning. I would be willing to bet movies don't either.

• I'd argue the opposite. Cost is cheap! You can buy a 500 GB drive for $95/$120 (internal/external). People have done the math in other threads, but that should be able to hold 25+ 1080p movies. Slap four in a machine, and you have the storage capacity for 100+ movies at the cost of a Blu-Ray player.

• You wont HAVE to backup, if the place you download from allows for new downloads of purchased material.

• You want to bring your copy, sync it to the internal drive of the AppleTV and carry that with you. Still portable, and you don't have to worry if the person you are going to has a Blu-Ray or HD DVD player (or none for that matter). The AppleTV is extremely light, easy to carry, not much bigger than 2 DVD cases.

• DVD data can be corrupted, its called a scratched disk. And in all my years of owning and operating a computer, I've never just had data "go bad" while sitting on a drive.

• Why wouldn't special features be possible on a digital download?

• On-demand could support whatever you want, there is no limit unlike HD DVD and Blu-Ray. Why do you feel On-demand is limited to 720p?

• This has been discussed in other threads before. The time to download a full 1080p movie is not long (6 hours I think it was calculated at todays speeds). Sure, a trip to blockbuster is faster, but people wait a day or two for movies from Netflix. How would a 6 hour download differ?

Edit: for formatting purposes only
  • Reply 435 of 2639
    Paramount dropping back to BD would be a killer blow, and they would get to sell the Star Trek TOS season 1 HiDef boxset all over again, thats what they do (not unlike Lucas and starwars) so I'd almost say its a given based on that alone

It feels slightly odd that the Mac Pro has been updated and there isn't even a BTO option for HD drives, but then if the driveless MacBookMini is true, then I guess they will pull a "floppy is dead" and be looking at driveless macs from this point on.

Interesting times indeed
  • Reply 436 of 2639
    There seems to be some question about the accuracy of the Financial Times' report that Paramount will be dropping HD. There's one report that Paramount has denied the claim, calling it speculative.

Just another day in the wacky world of HDM.
  • Reply 437 of 2639
    Quote:

You can buy a 500 GB drive for $95/$120 (internal/external). People have done the math in other threads, but that should be able to hold 25+ 1080p movies.

That's allowing 20 GB per movie, which is actually rather generous. HD-DVD and Blu-ray both tend to use higher bit rates than are strictly necessary with the latest generation codecs. If you use High-Profile H.264 (which Apple doesn't support yet), you could get away with about 12 GB for an average-length (100 - 110 mins) 1080p movie. That's 40 movies / 500 GB disc.
  • Reply 438 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

There seems to be some question about the accuracy of the Financial Times' report that Paramount will be dropping HD. There's one report that Paramount has denied the claim, calling it speculative.

They are. Give it a couple days. They can't announce it yet.
  • Reply 439 of 2639
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Business as usual for Paramount. Exclusive to HD-DVD/DVD.

http://trekmovie.com/2008/01/08/para...rack-for-2008/
  • Reply 440 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

They are. Give it a couple days. They can't announce it yet.

From the AI report

Quote:

Update: According to Bloomberg, Paramount has denied the report by the Financial Times.

"Paramount's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format,'' Brenda Ciccone, a spokeswoman for Paramount, said in an e-mail.

Meanwhile, Keisuke Ohmori, a spokesman for Tokyo-based Toshiba, called the Financial Times' report "speculative."

yeah current plan as in "until the next board meeting" emergency or otherwise.

and as for "speculative" of course it is, but pretty accurate too.