Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 401 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Blu-ray Olive Branch...?

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Musta missed that earlier, interesting, and there is a few ways that might work out.

Warner has been a pretty deadening bomb dropped hard, but another one even if "only" from Apple might be a final straw.

The Toshiba sound bite of "we have been called dead before" MY thoughts on it were "yeah, but you only get resuscitated so many times"

From another blog I read and the owner was trying to wring the LAST possible bit of optimism out of HD-DVD even he had to admit "The fat lady isn't singing YET.. but she IS warming up back stage"
  • Reply 402 of 2639
    Oh yeah, Kingdom of Heaven arrived today so I might take a look at that later
  • Reply 403 of 2639
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Sony should just make this quick and painless for Toshiba:

For customers who previously bought HD-DVD players and movies wants to convert their purchase to a Blu-Ray, Sony should:
    • Offer free Blu-Ray titles in exchange for the customer's HD-DVD titles. Titles available exclusivly to HD-DVD can be exchanged for any other Blu-Ray title.

• Offer 50% off Sony Blu-Ray players in exchange for returning their current HD-DVD player to Sony. Sony can take the HD-DVD player and recycle it for parts.

• Reply 404 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Sony should just make this quick and painless for Toshiba:

? If customer who previously bought HD-DVD player and HD-DVD movies buys a Blu-Ray system, Sony will send them free Blu-Ray editions of titles available in Blu-Ray, up to 25 discs maximum, in exchange for returning the HD-DVD discs to Sony.

That is absurd. Nuff said. It speaks for itself.
  • Reply 405 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

That is absurd. Nuff said. It speaks for itself.

I edited the post for clarity and added something, but it's still pretty much the same in content.

Sony might loose money initially on those few early HD-DVD player adopters who want to convert, but it strengths and speeds adoption of Blu-Ray. Additionally, those "converted" customers will now be plunking money down in the future for new Blu-Ray titles, not unlike the way gaming counsels themselves sell at a loss because the games and royalties make all of the money.
  • Reply 406 of 2639
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Toshiba should just make this quick and painful for Sony:

For customers who previously bought HD-DVD players and movies wants to convert their purchase to a Blu-Ray, Sony should:
    • Offer free Blu-Ray titles in exchange for the customer's HD-DVD titles. Titles available exclusivly to HD-DVD can be exchanged for any other Blu-Ray title.

• Offer 50% off Sony Blu-Ray players in exchange for returning their current HD-DVD player to Sony. Sony can take the HD-DVD player and recycle it for parts.

Fixed that for you.

Perhaps the studios that sold the HD DVD exclusive movies could initiate some sort of trade-in. They should really reconsider their positions now anyhow. Regardless if the HD DVD camp has any fight left in it or not, perceptions will have changed in the last few days.

Joking aside, why should all these concessions come from the BR side? Does this mean that Toshiba sits back and says "Sorry, my bad!" and washes their hands of all of it?
  • Reply 407 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Joking aside, why should all these concessions come from the BR side? Does this mean that Toshiba sits back and says "Sorry, my bad!" and washes their hands of all of it?

In many ways, I agree with you. If you're winning, why make concessions? Except that Sony could potentially save money and dodge a few bullets by speeding up the conversion process.
  • Reply 408 of 2639
    Quote:

In many ways, I agree with you. If you're winning, why make concessions? Except that Sony could potentially save money and dodge a few bullets by speeding up the conversion process.

I don't see this as sonys responsibility to replace all these peoples HD-DVD's. I'm sure they are going to make a generous offer. Maybe a 5 title trade in, but 25? That's crossing the line of sanity.
  • Reply 409 of 2639
    Quote:

The thing is though, the players those people bought still do what they were sold to do. The movies they purchased still work in that hardware. If HD DVD had won, would you expect Toshiba to pony up for movies and players that the BR supporters bought? I find that unlikely at best. So many people hate Sony so much that they'd be laughing and deriding them mercilessly.

Perhaps Sony (or why not expand that to all companies producing BR players to help ease the pain to Sony haters?) could offer to soften the blow somewhat to those who bought an HD DVD player, but the studios should have a hand in it too. Ending this is every bit as much in their interest as it is in the hardware manufacturers.

As for people worrying about some sort of Orwellian takeover of the media and people's minds by Sony and the "evil" BR camp, remember that online media will be their competition and they'll be compelled to ease up or lose out to downloadable media. In a way, this is great because it's incentive to improve infrastructures to handle "on demand" content.
  • Reply 410 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Bill Gates reveals Microsoft's strategy (CONFIRMATION!)

http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2...tes-unplugged/

Quote:

Warner Brothers said last week it was backing Blu-ray exclusively. Will Microsoft remain committed to the HD DVD format even if it appears that the media companies are backing Blu-ray?

Certainly we supported both Blu-ray and HD DVD as Windows peripherals. The last announcement was Paramount opting for HD DVD and now this one is going the other way. I still think a format battle is going on there. Our contribution is the HDi Interactive format piece has been really well received. We hope to see that used broadly. I think the real competitor in the long run is digital (video) download. Just like in music, it is going to be the biggest of the three.

You kind of sound agnostic about the formats.

No, not really. We have definitely worked with HD DVD in a very strong fashion. Our codecs and HDi are available on the other format and we are a leader in digital download so we have some involvement in all three approaches. In the long run, people don?t want physical media. You don?t say to yourself, what?s the format battle after CD. If someone tried to introduce a new music format, you?d laugh and say ?well isn?t that my phone, my iPod and my Zune?? And you?d be right.

Confirmation to those HD DVD proponents who were telling everyone how crazy they were for thinking Microsoft was in it--HD DVD--simply to confuse the consumer and get them to downloads.

Also, I think Bill is also wrong on the music front. As I would be totally interested in a high-end music format from Blu-ray with 7.1 surround sound, amped up sampling, etc.

As a matter of fact, I'm expecting to see it soon...and then I'll convert these into iTunes if I need to.
  • Reply 411 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Really?

Then what are you doing in this thread huffing and blowing?

Just keep on squeezing your eyes tight and repeating as you are "I don't believe it, I don't believe it!" I don't think it will do you any good though, Warner have gone Blu-ray. so thats about ?? 75% of the market is Blu-ray now. It doesn't matter if you don't believe it, its a fact.

What are you talking about?

When have I said "I don't believe" Blu-Ray has prevailed with the Warner move?

All I've said is that I have no problems with upscaling DVDs quality-wise, and I'm not buying into BR until the DRM is completely broken. I have no idea what you're ranting about now.
  • Reply 412 of 2639
    While I agree that RENTALS are heading into the on-demand digital video download format, I think sales, unlike with music will remain on a physical media for a long time. Computer storage isn't to the point where people can store tons of HD movies on their computer. Very quickly they will run out of space. But more importantly, portable storage, i.e. an iPod, is nowhere NEAR the capacity required for that to work. With hard drive MP3 players, you can stored (virtually) unlimited music. I mean, who has 60,000 songs? But when one dual layer blu-ray disc can store 100 GB of HD video or music, is very thin and portable, and very durable/scratch resistant, it's common sense. For rentals where the movie will only be around for a limited time anyways, digital download/on-demand is perfect.
  • Reply 413 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Bill Gates reveals Microsoft's strategy (CONFIRMATION!)

http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2...tes-unplugged/

Confirmation to those HD DVD proponents who were telling everyone how crazy they were for thinking Microsoft was in it--HD DVD--simply to confuse the consumer and get them to downloads.

That's only "confirmation" to BluRayers who like to spout FUD. Microsoft, like every other software company, sees the move to downloads as inevitable. They are no different in this regard to Apple. Their support of HD-DVD was meant to thwart Sony's PS3 and not have to pay Windows licensing fees to a rival.

The idea that Microsoft embraced HD-DVD to "confuse" the HDM market is still ridiculous, and only promoted by people with little understanding of business strategies.

Quote:

Also, I think Bill is also wrong on the music front. As I would be totally interested in a high-end music format from Blu-ray with 7.1 surround sound, amped up sampling, etc.

Oh help us. Now he wants to use Blu-Ray to bring back DRM music sales, when even SonyBMG has thrown in the towel on that.
  • Reply 414 of 2639
    Ok, seriously now, BR and HD DVD are so totally overkill for audio only presentation it's really pretty silly.

Have peope really even bought into music only DVDs?
  • Reply 415 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

That's only "confirmation" to BluRayers who like to spout FUD. Microsoft, like every other software company, sees the move to downloads as inevitable. They are no different in this regard to Apple. Their support of HD-DVD was meant to thwart Sony's PS3 and not have to pay Windows licensing fees to a rival.

The idea that Microsoft embraced HD-DVD to "confuse" the HDM market is still ridiculous, and only promoted by people with little understanding of business strategies.

Oh help us. Now he wants to use Blu-Ray to bring back DRM music sales, when even SonyBMG has thrown in the towel on that.

The majority of Bill Gates speech yesterday was supposed to be about HD-DVD. It's his last ditch effort to go out with hope rather than the truth. He bet the wrong horse and fell flat on his face yesterday. Confirmed!
  • Reply 416 of 2639
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Ok, seriously now, BR and HD DVD are so totally overkill for audio only presentation it's really pretty silly.

Some of the the concert DVD has audio files as big as 2GB just on stereo LPCM. Also multichannel DTS mix is about 1.5 GB as well on some concert DVD's.

However, it's more to do with bandwidth, because multichannel lossless tracks would require higher bandwidth than the DVD technology can offer. Also, some of the advanced audio codec would not be compatible with all DVD players.

But, most people do not have the system that enjoy such high end audio presentation. I'm sure it will be welcomed in the elite enthusiast market.
  • Reply 417 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Some of the the concert DVD has audio files as big as 2GB just on stereo LPCM. Also multichannel DTS mix is about 1.5 GB as well on some concert DVD's.

However, it's more to do with bandwidth once multichannel lossless tracks would require higher bandwidth than the DVD technology can offer.

But, most people do not have the system that enjoy such high end audio presentation. I'm sure it will be welcomed in the elite enthusiast market.

Ok, I can buy that.
  • Reply 418 of 2639
    Quote:

Nope because there was a format war there as well. That is what happens when two different audio formats are on the market for too long.
  • Reply 419 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

You never know, since it is "Sony's" Blu-ray to you, all the music they sell on a BA (Blu-ray Audio) disc may be DRM free.

Moreover, I think you seriously have some sort of pirating issues you need to sort out, as you are the individual giving the biggest stink about DRM, when most people can honestly care less what DRM is on the disc, as long as it plays, and plays beautifully.
  • Reply 420 of 2639
    Paramount/Dreamworks - No New Title Announcements for CES

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...;UPDATED]/1345

Quote:

UPDATE: We have received word from Paramount/DreamWorks that although they continue to support HD DVD, they will not be making any new high-def title announcements at CES 2008.

Telling perhaps? Uh-oh HD DVD...uh-oh.