Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 961 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

We all KNOW it is now Blu-ray vs. DVD. If you want to talk about the REAL war, go make a Blu-ray vs. DVD (2008) thread.

Ohh, please don't.
  • Reply 962 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

If there is a winner at this point, it is clearly SD DVD. By a long, looooooong margin.

also don't forget to factor into your obvious sillyness the loooooooong ten years head start DVD has
  • Reply 963 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Failure to see the obvious is myopia.

So THATS what you had, has it cleared up now?
  • Reply 964 of 2639
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

I think the salesman needs to do a better job educated the customer on HD players when they get a TV.

Amen. I don't understand why they don't do this with a section of their walls of HDTVs. Have the same movie on 3 TVs of the same size and spec. Here's a DVD, here's an up-converted DVD, and here's a Blu-ray.

Then the consumer can actually pick what they really want, and they can do it quickly.
  • Reply 965 of 2639
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

We all KNOW it is now Blu-ray vs. DVD. If you want to talk about the REAL war, go make a Blu-ray vs. DVD (2008) thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

also don't forget to factor into your obvious sillyness the loooooooong ten years head start DVD has

Hmmm, it seems that I have struck a nerve.

Sorry, but I'll keep posting my analysis here, including how DVDs play into the adoption of HD-DVD and/or blu-ray. Go ahead and bully all you want, but DVDs are absolutely pertinent to the topic.
  • Reply 966 of 2639
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    The original point of this thread was more directed to which format will Apple support (being that it is in Future Hardware for Macs). I think it is safe to say that Apple will go Blu-Ray. Now.....close this thread quick, hurry before anyone can argue some more and this is left 3 pages behind. I kid I kid, but in all seriousness, now that this is simply a general type topic based on the future of hi-def video, shouldn't it go into general??
  • Reply 967 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

The original point of this thread was more directed to which format will Apple support (being that it is in Future Hardware for Macs). I think it is safe to say that Apple will go Blu-Ray. Now.....close this thread quick, hurry before anyone can argue some more and this is left 3 pages behind. I kid I kid, but in all seriousness, now that this is simply a general type topic based on the future of hi-def video, shouldn't it go into general??

From an Apple perspective, I don't think this thread can be "current hardware" until Apple actually has a hardware product that supports something other than SD DVD. I really have to wonder what the holdup is; waiting for Blu-Ray to finish their format perhaps? Having trouble getting all of their hardware and software to abide by the DRM restrictions? Or do they just want everyone to rent their movies from an Apple TV?
  • Reply 968 of 2639
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Yeah, you're right.

If you mean "mass" acceptance as in, the majority of the people in the niche category, maybe.

But mass overall consumers? Way too many people don't even know anything about Bluray. I'll agree that they've won, but there's still a lot to do before it's considered "mass" acceptance.

The irony is that the current HDM market is being supported by the niche enthusiast community, as you have pointed out, and the HDM optical format war still continues among enthusiasts.

However, the HDM war is over in AppleInsider? Is blu-ray optical disc being backed by Steve Jobs?
  • Reply 969 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

This thread isn't about THAT war. Leave that out of this.

Yes, the Blurayers never want to talk about that elephant in the room. Won't make it go away though.
  • Reply 970 of 2639
    Quote:

Hmmm, it seems that I have struck a nerve.

Sorry, but I'll keep posting my analysis here, including how DVDs play into the adoption of HD-DVD and/or blu-ray. Go ahead and bully all you want, but DVDs are absolutely pertinent to the topic.

The Topic they may be, the thread title they are not.
  • Reply 971 of 2639
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Woo hoo hoo hoo... So certain are you? Our own council will we keep on who is to be on topic. This one, a long time have I watched; All these threads as he looked away.. to the future. Never his mind on where the format war was! Hmmm? What he was postin? Don't underestimate the powers of the DVD. Mind what you have learned. Save your format it can, or suffer UMD's fate Blu-ray will.
  • Reply 972 of 2639
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Yes, the Blurayers never want to talk about that elephant in the room. Won't make it go away though.

It is funny that when HD-DVD was still in the game, its supporters never seemed to mention said 'elephant'. But now that Blu-ray has a strong lead, they need to find some other way to marginalize the victory.

Get over it, guys. This is a hurdle that both formats faced, and it doesn't change the fact that HD-DVD just faceplanted.
  • Reply 973 of 2639
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

It is funny that when HD-DVD was still in the game, its supporters never seemed to mention said 'elephant'. But now that Blu-ray has a strong lead, they need to find some other way to marginalize the victory.

Get over it, guys. This is a hurdle that both formats faced, and it doesn't change the fact that HD-DVD just faceplanted.

So true.
  • Reply 974 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

SPOT....ON!
  • Reply 975 of 2639
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I couldn't disagree more. This thread is precisely about "THAT" war because it's all one big battle.

It is impossible, or at least futile, to look at the future of next-gen formats without consideration of the current standard. When consumers are in the store figuring out which player to buy, they aren't just choosing between HD-DVD and blu-ray.

The title of the thread and the thread contents disagrees with you.

Very few folks argued for downloads or DVD vs Blu-Ray. I know because I was one of the download proponents. I recall quite a few of the HD-DVD proponents poo-pooing that as not ready for prime time.

The context of THIS thread was always the FORMAT WAR BETWEEN HD-DVD and BLU-RAY. That war is largely over but that WAS what this discussion was about.
  • Reply 976 of 2639
    Or put another way. This thread is at least partially about which will succeed or prevail. It is impossible to have an intelligent discussion on that topic without consideration of DVDs.

But really, why all the lambasting for a single-line comment about DVDs? After all, the complaints have been many times more lengthy than the original comment. If people truely wanted what they claimed to want, to keep the thread more focused, than their rebuttals are counterproductive to that claimed purpose.

The complaints seem more like emotional, knee-jerk responses to a simple assertion. That assertion was: It is more accurate to say that HD-DVD has "lost" than to say that blu-ray has "won". Simply because, if any format has "won", it is DVD.

Laser disk generally isn't considered a "winner" even though it beat other competining / "losing" formats of the day. That's what I was trying to get at... Blu-ray isn't yet a "winner". There simply isn't a way to make that point without mentioning DVDs.

Note: none of the above is meant as an insult to blu-ray
  • Reply 977 of 2639
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Laser disk generally isn't considered a "winner" even though it beat other competining / "losing" formats of the day.

Like what? DiscoVision and Laserdisc were different names for the same thing, I don't think that Laserdisc had any competition other than VHS and Beta, and they were a released a few years later than Laserdisc.
  • Reply 978 of 2639
    Numbers are in, and yet another week of Blu-domination...

Nielsen/VideoScan Numbers ending January 27th

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...0308/index.php

WE: BD-82% HDD-18% YTD: BD-77% HDD-23% SI: BD-64% HDD-36%

• Reply 979 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I don't think that Laserdisc had any competition other than VHS and Beta, and they were a released a few years later than Laserdisc.

Admittedly, I'm not an expert on all the obscure, failed formats. But I think MovieCD and D-VHS fit the bill.
  • Reply 980 of 2639
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

I'm not an expert on all the obscure, failed formats... but off the top of my head, i think MovieCD and D-VHS fit the bill.

Laserdisc was introduced 20 years before D-VHS (1978 vs 1998). MovieCD was also mid to late 1990s.