The Grammar Rant Thread!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 148
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I hate when people quote Mickey Mantle (I mean, seriously, he was clinically retarded).

Quote:

"I made a wrong mistake." - Yogi Berra

• Reply 22 of 148
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    English is a horrible language.

Quote:

The bandage was wound around the wound.

The farm was used to produce produce.

The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.

We must polish the Polish furniture.

He could lead if he would get the lead out.

The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert..

A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

I did not object to the object.

The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.

There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.

They were too close to the door to close it.

The buck does funny things when the does are present.

A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.

To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.

The wind was too strong to wind the sail.

After a number of injections my jaw got number.

Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.

I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

Even more
  • Reply 23 of 148
    "Lose" and "loose". I am truly fearful that the word "lose" will soon be all but lost to us. Frankly, I think it's a travesty.

Please note midwinter my dog is also an expert in the use of the apostrophe.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adda

I mean, clearly, head and shoulders above such ungainly constructs as "youse guys", "you-uns" and "all you".

The local territory minister I've been doing battle with for what seems like forever has been known to refer to the opposition as "you guys" at sittings of the Legislative Assembly. It beautifully sums up her intelligence level and really raises the tone of the place.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hassan

you illiterate knobcheese

I am an illiterate knobcheese. I was taught to use them where one would pause if speaking. So I would write:

Chester's dog, Bob, is smarter than midwinter's dog, Molly.

And we are not ashamed to use the pretentious "one". We are quite partial to the even more pretentious royal "we" as well.
  • Reply 24 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I hate when people quote Mickey Mantle (I mean, seriously, he was clinically retarded).

Touché, Outie.

Touché.
  • Reply 25 of 148
    I hate when cry babies get all upset about grammar on the internet.

Does it hinder me from making a living? No.

Does it cause me to loose friends? No.

Besides in my line of work the scripts make no sense anyway. What do I care?
  • Reply 26 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

Does it cause me to loose...

Credibility. See Chester's post.

• Reply 27 of 148
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    There's nothing better than the creative use of the apostrophe. Some people just stick 'em in there whenever there's an 's,' just in case. Back home there's a door with a big sign that says "Employee's only."

Here's a good one I saw just today: "Do we really wan't Baucus coming up with a stimulus plan?"

"Wan't."

That's better than any mixed metaphor or Yogi Berra saying that I've ever seen.
  • Reply 28 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Credibility. See Chester's post.

So let me get this straight....typing on my laptop and putting two "o" causes me to loose credibility? to who you? big whoopie...

Do you pay me? The day that you do and it matter's then i will give a rat's ass.
  • Reply 29 of 148
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

So let me get this straight....typing on my laptop and putting two "o" causes me to loose credibility? to who you? big whoopie...

Do you pay me? The day that you do and it matter's then i will give a rat's ass.

I GAVE A FUCKING LESSON ON HOW TO USE THE APOSTROPHE AT THE TOP OF THIS GOD FORSAKEN THREAD AND YOU STILL FUCKED IT UP!!!!

FAIL.

• Reply 30 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

There's nothing better than the creative use of the apostrophe. Some people just stick 'em in there whenever there's an 's,' just in case. Back home there's a door with a big sign that says "Employee's only."

Here's a good one I saw just today: "Do we really wan't Baucus coming up with a stimulus plan?"

"Wan't."

That's better than any mixed metaphor or Yogi Berra saying that I've ever seen.

Yeah. I've seen that one before. Of course, I also once had a 20 year old college student write "I had runned to the store."

Had. Runned.

But it's OK. She wasn't being paid to write, so it didn't really matter.
  • Reply 31 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I GAVE A FUCKING LESSON ON HOW TO USE THE APOSTROPHE AT THE TOP OF THIS GOD FORSAKEN THREAD AND YOU STILL FUCKED IT UP!!!!

FAIL.

WTF is this a 5th grade test? Let me guess you are a teacher?

Again, I think i am doing just fine being a horrible speller.
  • Reply 32 of 148
    Quote:

WTF is this a 5th grade test? Let me guess you are a teacher?

Again, I think i am doing just fine being a horrible speller.

MISSING A HYPHEN, A COMMA, AND A COLON IN THE FIRST LINE AND THERE'S A CAPITALIZATION ERROR IN THE SECOND LINE.

Additionally, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that if you have such anxieties about your grammatical and spelling deficiencies, you need not express them by being hostile to a thread that makes you uncomfortable. Here. Go look at some LOLcats.
  • Reply 33 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

MISSING A HYPHEN, A COMMA, AND A COLON IN THE FIRST LINE AND THERE'S A CAPITALIZATION ERROR IN THE SECOND LINE.

Additionally, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that if you have such anxieties about your grammatical and spelling deficiencies, you need not express them by being hostile to a thread that makes you uncomfortable. Here. Go look at some LOLcats.

how am i hostile? you're the one screaming at me in all caps.
  • Reply 34 of 148
    I'm amused by the kids making excuses for their stupidity. Just because you're not being paid makes it OK to be stupid?
  • Reply 35 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I'm amused by the kids making excuses for their stupidity. Just because you're not being paid makes it OK to be stupid?

It really sums up contemporary culture, doesn't it?
  • Reply 36 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

kids? im 31 own my house, two cars, one motorcycle, my childs college is already paid for (she's 11months old) and i can retire now if i choose to do so.

man i hope i make it
  • Reply 37 of 148
    Quote:

kids? im 31 own my house, two cars, one motorcycle, my childs college is already paid for (she's 11months old) and i can retire now if i choose to do so.

man i hope i make it

If you have a motorcycle, you're a kid.
  • Reply 38 of 148
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

man i hope i make it

Have mom correct that spelling and grammar homework.

• Reply 39 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Have mom correct that spelling and grammar homework.

Maybe his shift and apostrophe keys are broken.
  • Reply 40 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter

Maybe his shift and apostrophe keys are broken.

I thought he was just being an intentionally annoying, tongue-in-cheek smart arse but it starting to look like he's serious.

But then Hassan has already told me I am something that comes out the end of a penis so I guess the hate was there already.