The Grammar Rant Thread!

Comments

• Reply 121 of 148
    Quick question...

Is it "in regard" or "in regards"?

i.e. This letter is "in regard(s)" to blah...blah...blah...
  • Reply 122 of 148
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Quick question...

If you're using OS X check it in the dictionary -- pretty handy for a stock app.

PHRASES

as regards concerning; with respect to : as regards content, the program will cover important current issues.

in this (or that) regard in connection with the point previously mentioned : there was little incentive for them to be active in this regard.

with (or in) regard to as concerns; with respect to : he made inquiries with regard to Beth.

ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French regarder ?to watch,? from re- ?back? (also expressing intensive force) + garder ?to guard.?
  • Reply 123 of 148
    Well I could have googled as well it but I knew you or midwinter would answer it within 15 minutes...
  • Reply 124 of 148
    Quote:

Well I could have googled as well it but I knew you or midwinter would answer it within 15 minutes...

Actually I had to look it up yesterday and found it by accident!
  • Reply 125 of 148
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Quick question...

"in regard to"
  • Reply 126 of 148
    Quote:

If you could try to ask questions between 11-12 on MW or 10-12:30 on T/Th, that's when I have office hours.

• Reply 127 of 148
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Moot point, moot point, moot point, not mute point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 128 of 148
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

"Wives'" tale.

There's no such word as "wive". "Wives" is the plural, and the possessive form gets the apostrophe after the 's'.

Honors English, huh?

Actually, wive is a word. It means to take a wife. Otherwise, you are quite correct.

BTW, I started another post in this thread, and half way through it, it vanished. Is there a limbo where these posts go or did it just go pouf? I am nonplussed. When is someone 'plussed"?
  • Reply 129 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Moot point, moot point, moot point, not mute point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joey: "It's a moo point. It's like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter."
  • Reply 130 of 148
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

... I am nonplussed. When is someone 'plussed"?

Inebriated... when is someone "ebriated"?

Oh, and does the question mark go inside the quotes or outside?
  • Reply 131 of 148
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

English doesn't have a gender neutral pronoun for the third person singular besides the uber-pretentious "one."

Rant part: ENGLISH, YOU BASTARDIZED TONGUE!

Actually, in 1989, the American Language Association approved the use of the word "they" to refer to a singular pronoun in the third person.
  • Reply 132 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Inebriated... when is someone "ebriated"?

Oh, and does the question mark go inside the quotes or outside?

It goes inside if it's a quote, but I don't know if it's just a word in a sentence. It's not a quote; it's just emphasizing the word. Ask the grammar police.
  • Reply 133 of 148
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

It goes inside if it's a quote, but I don't know if it's just a word in a sentence. It's not a quote; it's just emphasizing the word. Ask the grammar police.

It depends what you are asking. In this case it would go outside the quotation marks. You could put a question mark inside the quotes, but then you'd be asking when someone was "ebriated?", i.e. "ebriated with a (possibly ironic) rising intonation", and would need another question mark outside the quotes as well:

When is someone "ebriated?"?

Of course, that would be a stupid question, but at least it'd be punctuated properly.
  • Reply 134 of 148
    Quote:

If a question mark or exclamation point is contained within quotation marks, it is assumed that the punctuation is a part of the material being quoted. Otherwise, they should be placed outside the quotation marks.

Periods are different. They are always contained within the quotation marks. Unless you are English, and then all rules of grammar are thrown out the window and everything taught in America about punctuation is completely wrong. Including the names of some of the marks.
  • Reply 135 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

It depends what you are asking. In this case it would go outside the quotation marks. You could put a question mark inside the quotes, but then you'd be asking when someone was "ebriated?", i.e. "ebriated with a (possibly ironic) rising intonation", and would need another question mark outside the quotes as well:

When is someone "ebriated?"?

Of course, that would be a stupid question, but at least it'd be punctuated properly.

Actually, there are examples like that. In the MLA citation method, this oddity happens:

So and so asked "blah blah blah?" (Smith 71).

Bizarre.
  • Reply 136 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Periods are different. They are always contained within the quotation marks. Unless you are English, and then all rules of grammar are thrown out the window and everything taught in America about punctuation is completely wrong. Including the names of some of the marks.

Yeah, it's actually called a "full-stop", don't you know?

I'm not sure that there are that many differences between British and American punctuation. I'm pretty sure the full-stop should go inside the quotes even if you're British.

Having said that, it depends what you mean. I think if you are quoting a complete sentence, and the quote forms the end of your sentence, the full-stop goes inside the quotes (i.e., you don't have another full-stop outside the quotes). If you are not quoting a sentence and the quote comes at the end of your sentence, there's no full-stop inside the quotes, but there is one outside them.
  • Reply 137 of 148
    Proofreading stuff:

"The products were extremely popular with men after their launch."

"Police subdue man with a machette."

"Police help dog bite victim."

There was also a answering machine manual: "after taking a message the machine will rewind and resent itself."

I'll have to remember some more...
  • Reply 138 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz View Post

"Police help dog bite victim."

There was also a answering machine manual: "after taking a message the machine will rewind and resent itself."

These two are . I heartily recommend Anguished English for more of the same.
  • Reply 139 of 148
    Here we go -- email database pays off! From a crime scene dynamics book -- how not to write your report:

When completely plastered, officers who volunteer will paint the locker room.

Miami police kill a man with a machete.

Three cars were reported stolen by the Los Angeles police yesterday.

Police begin campaign to run down jaywalkers.

Squad helps dog bite victim.
  • Reply 140 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Actually, there are examples like that. In the MLA citation method, this oddity happens:

So and so asked "blah blah blah?" (Smith 71).

Bizarre.

Shouldn't there be a comma after asked. I was taught there was a comma after the speaker and punctuation to the left of the end quote.