The Grammar Rant Thread!

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 148
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Shouldn't there be a comma after asked. I was taught there was a comma after the speaker and punctuation to the left of the end quote.

When writing dialogue, yeah, that's the convention. But in non-dialogue situations, you could just write something like "Hamlet asks 'Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,' which is a really good question because I have heard arrows hurt."
  • Reply 142 of 148
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

"Hamlet asks 'Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,' which is a really good question because I have heard arrows hurt."

Only if you get hit by the end with the pointy thingy; otherwise, the other end with the feathers just tickles. BTW, I saw a commercial the other night that had a Border Collie named Molly. Have you seen it?
  • Reply 143 of 148
    Quote:

Only if you get hit by the end with the pointy thingy; otherwise, the other end with the feathers just tickles. BTW, I saw a commercial the other night that had a Border Collie named Molly. Have you seen it?

I have not! But I have an excuse. We got a Wii and have been doing lots of golfing.
  • Reply 144 of 148
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Reading this whole thread was worth it just for rocket surgery. My own grammar is less than exceptional so I hate to throw stones, but I really can't stand the improper conjugation of verbs.
  • Reply 145 of 148
    I flinch when someone on this forum uses subjects and verbs that don't agree. For example, "Apple make."

Apple is SINGULAR, people: "Apple makes." PLEASE. The world has 6 billion people, but the word world is SINGULAR.

Furthermore, the words everybody, everyone, everything, and neither are SINGULAR.

Some words are both singular and plural. For example, the word audience. "The audience is mesmerized." Singular. "The audience took their seats." Plural.

Whew, I'm glad to get that off my chest. I can go back to sleep, now.
  • Reply 146 of 148
    Quote:

I flinch when someone on this forum uses subjects and verbs that don't agree. For example, "Apple make."

Apple is SINGULAR, people: "Apple makes." PLEASE. The world has 6 billion people, but the word world is SINGULAR.

Furthermore, the words everybody, everyone, everything, and neither are SINGULAR.

Some words are both singular and plural. For example, the word audience. "The audience is mesmerized." Singular. "The audience took their seats." Plural.

Whew, I'm glad to get that off my chest. I can go back to sleep, now.

"Apple make" is a British thing. Has to do with differences in how Americans and Brits approach collective nouns, I believe.
  • Reply 147 of 148
    Thanks for the info. I won't flinch any more. There are many lists of collective words pertaining to animals. My favorite is: http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/kennel/collectives.htm

My favorite collective word is a 'murder' of ravens.

BTH, the commercial with the Collie Mollie is ADT Home Security System.
  • Reply 148 of 148
    Quote:

Thanks for the info. I won't flinch any more. There are many lists of collective words pertaining to animals. My favorite is: http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/kennel/collectives.htm

My favorite collective word is a 'murder' of ravens.

BTH, the commercial with the Collie Mollie is ADT Home Security System.

Here's the best way to think about how weird this is:

"Apple [it] makes good stuff"

"Apple [they] make good stuff"

"The Counting Crows [they] are my favorite band"

"The Decemberists [they] are my favorite band"

"Vampire Weekend [they] is my favorite band"

Have fun.