The Grammar Rant Thread!

Comments

• Reply 41 of 148
    k going to the gym now where i can be stupid.

you adults have fun.
  • Reply 42 of 148
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Maybe his shift and apostrophe keys are broken.

grammarmaster308 owns his house, 2 cars, a motorcycle, and a kid. surely he can afford a functioning keyboard!

• Reply 43 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazychester View Post

I thought he was just being an intentionally annoying, tongue-in-cheek smart arse but it starting to look like he's serious.

But then Hassan has already told me I am something that comes out the end of a penis so I guess the hate was there already.

No, my love, you're not something that comes out of the end of a penis.

You're something that accrues around the end of a penis if you don't pay attention to your personal hygiene. Knobcheese can have many sources: semen must be one of the most significant components, granted, but urine, sweat, lint and chip fat can all play a part too.

So I'm told (circumcised.)

And yeah, it's OK to use two commas, I'm being a knobcheese. I'm objecting to

"Chester's dog, Bob is smarter than midwinter's dog, Molly."

I hate that.

"Chester's dog, Bob, is smarter than midwinter's dog, Molly."

That's fine.

Poor Molly.

Hey, trailmaster, reading is fun and impresses girls!
  • Reply 44 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hassan

You're something that accrues around the end of a penis if you don't pay attention to your personal hygiene. Knobcheese can have many sources: semen must be one of the most significant components, granted, but urine, sweat, lint and chip fat can all play a part too.

I thought you were going to say I was like a freshly bloomed rose, bespattered with diamond dewdrops sparkling in the warm light of dawn.

I guess I had my hopes raised a little high.
  • Reply 45 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

grammarmaster308 owns his house, 2 cars, a motorcycle, and a kid. surely he can afford a functioning keyboard!

i'll go find one.

collecting IP addresses is fun...
  • Reply 46 of 148
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

And yeah, it's OK to use two commas, I'm being a knobcheese.

GAH! A COMMA SPLICE!!! ". . . it's OK to use two commas; I'm being a knobcheese." is correct. Now Hassan, I know y'all Brits talk funny and all, but I know you have semicolons over there. Maybe look inside one of your castles.

Quote:

I'm objecting to

"Chester's dog, Bob is smarter than midwinter's dog, Molly."

I hate that.

"Chester's dog, Bob, is smarter than midwinter's dog, Molly."

That's fine.

The first is an error. The second is a correctly constructed appositive.
  • Reply 47 of 148
    So there, Hassan.

I wonder what the fuck an apositive is.
  • Reply 48 of 148
    An appositive is a blood type.
  • Reply 49 of 148
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

i'll go find one.

collecting IP addresses is fun...

Careful laddy. Fun's fun, but there are places you don't want to go.
  • Reply 50 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Careful laddy. Fun's fun, but there are places you don't want to go.

Like CC's bedroom.

Black hole of disorganization in which nothing, including Bob, can escape-- or temporal nexus where all your dreams become reality?
  • Reply 51 of 148
    Quote:

Like CC's bedroom.

Black hole of disorganization in which nothing, including Bob, can escape-- or temporal nexus where all your dreams become reality?

It has to be one or the other?
  • Reply 52 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shawn

ike CC's bedroom.

Black hole of disorganization in which nothing, including Bob, can escape

"From" which nothing, including Bob, can escape

Quote:

or temporal nexus where all your dreams become reality?

Depends whether you're offering to wash my undies for me or not.
  • Reply 53 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It has to be one or the other?

Unless Bob is part of your dreams!

Which, uh, I didn't know about you, but I suppose that's par for the course for left-coasters.
  • Reply 54 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shawn

Which, uh, I didn't know about you, but I suppose that's par for the course for left-coasters.

Remember, adda, he's all man. All man, I say!
  • Reply 55 of 148
    Quote:

Myself, I swing Doodle-wards, which has less to do with left-coastedness than an unfortunate incident with an ottoman during my formative years.

Don't tell Bob or Molly.
  • Reply 56 of 148
    Hmmmmm.......
  • Reply 57 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazychester View Post

Remember, adda, he's all man. All man, I say!

So you say, but have we ever seen documentary evidence?

At this time I'd like to formally apologize to the entirety of AppleInsider, if not the internet at large, for encouraging Chester to post pictures of her dog's penis.

I would also like to personally apologize to Midwinter, for having at his grammar thread, doggie style.
  • Reply 58 of 148
    Quote:

GAH! A COMMA SPLICE!!! ". . . it's OK to use two commas; I'm being a knobcheese." is correct. Now Hassan, I know y'all Brits talk funny and all, but I know you have semicolons over there. Maybe look inside one of your castles.

Ah. Yes. Well. That was intentional, actually. I was attempting to convey a sort of conversational tone, employing a deliberately insouciant grammatical caprice, if you will, la de da.

Quote:

The first is an error. The second is a correctly constructed appositive.

Yes.

Crazychester is as fragrant as a morning dozing in the shade of the catalpa tree, jasmine blossom drifting on the west wind like etc.
  • Reply 59 of 148
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    So midwinter, since you're using your Saturdays to freelance on the internet, I've got two questions for you.

1. I've seen newspapers omit the last comma before the 'and' in a list, like "crazychester is a scoundrel, a cretin and a knobcheese." It drives me crazy. Am I wrong to be driven by crazy by this?

2. I was corrected recently when someone asked "how are you doing?" and I responded "good." They said "well" is the only appropriate answer. Needless to say, I pulled his tongue out with a pair of pliers. But was he right?
  • Reply 60 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

So midwinter, since you're using your Saturdays to freelance on the internet, I've got two questions for you.

1. I've seen newspapers omit the last comma before the 'and' in a list, like "crazychester is a scoundrel, a cretin and a knobcheese." It drives me crazy. Am I wrong to be driven by crazy by this?

That is called the "serial comma." To put it shortly, the usage pattern, which leads to the rule, is changing. I retain it, but I'm old school. In other words, you are not wrong to be driven crazy by this.

Quote:

2. I was corrected recently when someone asked "how are you doing?" and I responded "good." They said "well" is the only appropriate answer. Needless to say, I pulled his tongue out with a pair of pliers. But was he right?

He was, in fact, correct. "Good" is an adjective, which is used to describe nouns. "Well" is an adverb, which is used to modify verbs. And since the question is "how are you doing?" the answer is "well," since you are describing how you "do," which is a verb.

That'll be $5 or an answer to this question:

Assuming that there is such a thing as the Oedipal phase, would a child in a same-sex family (say, two men) go through it? I've asked three psychologists and gotten three different answers.

And lastly, shouldn't you be in bed by now?