Apple introduces 16GB iPhone, 32GB iPod touch models

Comments

• Reply 41 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iextreme View Post

I'm kinda surprised by this and worried what it means for the launch of the new MacBook Pros and MacBooks.

While I'm no expert on Apple launch dates, this seems sort of unlike Apple to do, usually they upgrade their iPods all at once during the autumn...

Personally, I think 500 for the 32G is way to much, but if u keep in mind what they are charging for the SSD of 64Gb, it kinda makes since, but would still have been nice if the line would have seen a 50-100 price drop or if they just removed the 8G all together and replaced the 8G-16G, 16-32G at the same price points.

For me, now comes the question, do I really wanna fork out 500 for 32G, nothing lesser will do...

That is the question, isn't it? I've been stomping around saying I'll get the Touch when it's 32GB. Now I'm a tad sheepish, asking myself the old standard poor-man Mac Fan questions like, "Maybe I should wait until they put [name your feature]" so I can justify plunking down a cool half-grand.

Having said that, I'm still glad they responded to the apparently strong voice of the consumers who've asked for this (me included).
  • Reply 42 of 225
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I don't know, but it seems like Sony has to go through FCC revision for even a simple colour update. Also, I was under the impression that motherboards have to pass (self testing admittedly) FCC regulations, so it's not impossible that there are some regulations for memory, right? There was a Gigabyte motherboard that failed to meet the regulations, but still went to market.

I have to admit I'm not very familiar with the FCC though.

/Adrian

I think the breakdown shows the RF chips on a seperate chip. This would be smart if the FCC only requires the board with the RF chips on it.

I don't recall if the SSD was soldered to the MoBo or not, but it may just be a plug like with most HDDs and large SSDs. I'll check on that later...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reaperducer View Post

But then you're stuck with an N95 instead of an iPhone. The two certainly aren't equivalent.

There's a reason they're free.

I recall people who were going to get the contract with the N95 and then sell it on eBay o shore up the cost of the iPhone. The new contract with O2 for the iPhone would cancel the previous one, not extend the current one. I'm not sure if that ever worked.
  • Reply 43 of 225
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leppo View Post

And so the wait for a Macbook Pro update/refresh continues. I'm full of sadness.

Are there Penryn-based notebooks in mass production? Apple seems to delay updates until they have enough chips to supply their demand.
  • Reply 44 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

I'm still glad they responded to the apparently strong voice of the consumers who've asked for this (me included).

This has nothing to do with an initial oversight or listening to customers demands. It is merely the natural projection of technology getting cheaper and small over time.
  • Reply 45 of 225
    I'll be skipping this version of the iPhone hoping that the next will have some new features. I'll be patient with them and hope that their next model will persuade me to part with my hard earned cash. 16GB is nice to have, but it's still not close to my iPod storage needs. \
  • Reply 46 of 225
    I have to say I am surprised to get into work this morning and find this in my RSS feed. I didn't believe Jobs when he said "We have done all this and are only 2 weeks in to the year!" or whatever. I hope this means we will see a lot of great updates to the products (new MBP) and some more new ones (Newton tablet thing).
  • Reply 47 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Are there Penryn-based notebooks in mass production? Apple seems to delay updates until they have enough chips to supply their demand.

I'd like to see the dispersal of these high-end chips. Apple may not be the top dog with unit sales of notebooks but they are probably at or near the top of purchasers of new chips produced by Intel.
  • Reply 48 of 225
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This has nothing to do with an initial oversight or listening to customers demands. It is merely the natural projection of technology getting cheaper and small over time.

Excuse me, but what got cheaper? or smaller?
  • Reply 49 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Excuse me, but what got cheaper? or smaller?

32GB SSD from just 6 months prior. Please, try to keep up.
  • Reply 50 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday added new models of the iPhone and iPod touch which have double the memory, doubling the amount of music, photos and videos that customers can carry with them wherever they go.

The company's iPhone now comes in a new 16GB model for $499, joining the 8GB model for $399. Meanwhile, iPod touch now comes in a 32GB model for $499, joining the 16GB model for $399 and the 8GB model for $299.

?For some users, there?s never enough memory,? said Greg Joswiak, Apple?s vice president of Worldwide iPod and iPhone Product Marketing. ?Now people can enjoy even more of their music, photos and videos on the most revolutionary mobile phone and best Wi-Fi mobile device in the world.?

If there is never enough memory Apple, why not add a 32GB iPhone model and bypass the 16GB altogether. Why only 32GB for he iPod touch? I guess I will have to wait for another six months to see if the next generation (not just a memory bump) will produce an iPhone truely worth a 100 dollar increase. This one, for me, is sadly not it!
  • Reply 51 of 225
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

It could be that the higher density chips came down to a price level that's good enough for inclusion. The Touch is an extremely slim device, it's not as if they can just double the number of chips, they have to use more expensive chips, the highest density chips come at a premium.
  • Reply 52 of 225
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

solipsism

I have 1TB of media so I'm not getting one until they have a 1TB SSDs for the iPhone. Seriously, if you want 64GB you'll be waiting awhile. Besides the enormous cost, they don't even that quantity of SSD that will fit in the iPhone.

That was my point. I am not so interested in buying new iPhone since I just got mine last August and 8 GB more won't make a difference to me right now
  • Reply 53 of 225
    Post from 'aiolos': [QOUTE]Gah, why did they have to raise the price 100 bucks, faaaaaaaaaaaack.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Because memory is not free?

Some of it is!

For 100 bucks, iPod touch with the 32GB model, gets a memory increase of 16GB versus the 8GB memory increase for the iPhone for that same 100 dollars.

in otherwords, 8GB FREE memory for the iPod Touch
  • Reply 54 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

This is an important statement as most people do not realize that although you may have a 3G capable phone that does not mean that you will receive 3G if you are not in an area that has it. Even in Southern California there are many pockets where you cannot receive 3G, and your phone will simply default to Edge. It is even worse when you happen to live in an area where you can only get Edge and a mile or so away your friend can get 3G. Having a capable 3G phone is no guarantee you will receive 3G.

Who cares about the US? In Europe you have everywhere 3G. A few hours ago I said to a friend that Apple should release an 16gb iPhone with 3G soon so it would be worth to buy one. I come home and see this 16gb iPhone without 3G??? This doesn't look good for european countries who still don't have iPhones for sale. Looking at the sales in UK, Ger and FR it doesn't look like a lot of carriers will be rolling out an EDGE network only to support a few iPhones that will be sold.
  • Reply 55 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It could be that the higher density chips came down to a price level that's good enough for inclusion. The Touch is an extremely slim device, it's not as if they can just double the number of chips, they have to use more expensive chips.

I never did check out sizes on the chips used in the iPhone/iPod Touch, but I do suspect that these chips weren't even available 6 months ago regardless of price.
  • Reply 56 of 225
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

The iPhone and iTouch is what we talking about here and neither got cheaper. If the 32GB SSD is cheaper than why is the 16GB and 8 GB the same price? You can't say the 32 iTouch is cheaper if it never existed before. Your reasoning once again makes no sense.
  • Reply 57 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

That was my point. I am not so interested in buying new iPhone since I just got mine last August and 8 GB more won't make a difference to me right now

I agree with you. While I got my iPhone the day it was released, I've already bit the bullet and pared down my media to meet the capacity limitations. 8GB more isn't enough for me to go through that process again. Had they given us the 32GB in the iPod Touch, I may have been swayed. As it is, though, this gives Apple even more time to slow-walk it and eventually release the iPhone with 32GB further on down the road without other changes.
  • Reply 58 of 225
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bobo Decosta View Post

Who cares about the US? In Europe you have everywhere 3G. A few hours ago I said to a friend that Apple should release an 16gb iPhone with 3G soon so it would be worth to buy one. I come home and see this 16gb iPhone without 3G??? This doesn't look good for european countries who still don't have iPhones for sale. Looking at the sales in UK, Ger and FR it doesn't look like a lot of carriers will be rolling out an EDGE network only to support a few iPhones that will be sold.

Well, 270,000 iPhone in the first weekend in the US alone makes Apple care.
  • Reply 59 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reaperducer View Post

But then you're stuck with an N95 instead of an iPhone. The two certainly aren't equivalent.

There's a reason they're free.

There's certainly worse things to be 'stuck' with than a free N95. They're free because they're heavily subsidised, unlike the iPhone.

Quote:

I recall people who were going to get the contract with the N95 and then sell it on eBay o shore up the cost of the iPhone. The new contract with O2 for the iPhone would cancel the previous one, not extend the current one. I'm not sure if that ever worked.

Yep, I think it was me that suggested it as at the time O2 were supposedly going to offer the same iPhone tariffs to users of other phones on their network. My thinking was that you get the N95 (or whatever is going well on eBay) for free with an iPhone tariff, buy an iPhone without the attached contract and register it with the first phone's SIM. Then sell the first phone on eBay for a few hundred quid. Since unlocking any phone other than an iPhone is as easy as bunging the bloke on the market a fiver, even a locked phone is an easy sale.

I'm not sure if that all worked out though and I've not looked since the iPhone's hardware is so weak and the software updates have been absent. Anyone done it ? I'll maybe have a look once the SDK is out a few weeks and the holes in the software are fixed. It's also a pity O2 aren't doing business tariffs till later this year as I'd possibly buy 2-3 iphones if I they had the usual O2 business terms of free calls between colleagues.
  • Reply 60 of 225
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    I'm familiar with the FCC. It's called "family testing". Apple may have tested a 16GB model to begin with even though it may have been VERY expensive for the chips, they knew the price would come down.

Second, they probably have been testing a 16GB model since the 8BG launch but no one bothered to notice since the phone itself is "the same".