Apple introduces 16GB iPhone, 32GB iPod touch models

Comments

• Reply 81 of 225
    So they release a 32 GB iTouch but only release a 16 GB iPhone??? Come on! I would be buying a new iPhone today if they had released a 32 GB model. I don't know about most of you, but my 80 GB video iPod is 80% full. I want one device to do it all. I want to combine my iPod, Phone and my Palm into one device. 16 GB just wont cut it.
  • Reply 82 of 225
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Why would you use the term delay?

Why would you object to it?
  • Reply 83 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bigfatdummy View Post

So they release a 32 GB iTouch but only release a 16 GB iPhone??? Come on! I would be buying a new iPhone today if they had released a 32 GB model. I don't know about most of you, but my 80 GB video iPod is 80% full. I want one device to do it all. I want to combine my iPod, Phone and my Palm into one device. 16 GB just wont cut it.

I think it's probably a demand issue. Apple is always careful about maintaining price-points, and seems to know what the market will support. Clearly, they feel the market will support a 32 GB iPod Touch at $499, but not an iPhone with the same storage for what may have been $100 more.

I am surprised they added a "high-end" iPod Touch for a $100 premium, but apparently they are figuring it will increase in popularity once the SDK comes out. Space will certainly be an issue with so much new software being released over the coming months, so it makes sense. But it still surprises me that they chose to expand the line so quickly. I'm swaying toward buying one myself. I find myself adding the total space of my iTunes files on a weekly basis nowadays!
  • Reply 84 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why would you object to it?

He didn't object! He merely asked you a question.

I truly find it amazing how easy it is for us all to misunderstand each other.
  • Reply 85 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Hey, it's not our fault you live in a country with 17.5% VAT. Without VAT, it's a little over $550, so it's not that far off from the US price, only 10% higher. Talk to your government if you feel ripped off. Or buy it on eBay, where you can probably get it for about US retail price and there's no VAT.

I wasn't bitching about VAT or the price difference. I quite like VAT. VAT pays for my free healthcare.

I was saying 'Ouch' because it's a very expensive locked phone when everybody else and their dog are giving away theirs here.

You may be used to low taxes and paying top whack for phones. I prefer free and slightly higher taxes.
  • Reply 86 of 225
    CoolHandPete may have a point. Specifically, that these updates are done in preparation for the SDK which will take up more space on the devices.
  • Reply 87 of 225
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Going to the store to buy one today!

8gig was the only thing holding me back. 16 is here, cool

Now version 2.0 might come later in the year with 3g. But I am not holding my breath. I would think at least 5 to 6 months to see a new iPhone.

Even if comes earlier, ebay is always here to sell my old one.
  • Reply 88 of 225
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bigfatdummy View Post

If you are 80% filled then you are using 59.6GiB. You'd need a 64GiB version, which is close to a grand and not yet dense enough to fit in the space provided. As nice as it would be, a $1,300 iPhone is too rich for me.

80 Gigabytes (GB) = 74.5 Gibibytes (GiB) x .8 = 59.6
  • Reply 89 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

CoolHandPete may have a point. Specifically, that these updates are done in preparation for the SDK which will take up more space on the devices.

Perhaps, but applications don't take up much space compared to content. I think it's just a stopgap until a 3G arrives. A way to bolster sales for a couple more months before there is a sharp decline after it is announced. Perhaps then we will see lowered prices on the 1st generation iPhone line.
  • Reply 90 of 225
    ytvytv Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I don't care about 3G. In US 3G is not available in all areas. I don't want to pay more for feature that is not available in my area. I like the added memory more. I will probably replace my iphone when I they release 64 GB iPhone

Not related to the iPhone since its ATT. But if your on Sprint or Verizon 3G is available in most areas.
  • Reply 91 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iextreme View Post

He didn't object! He merely asked you a question.

I truly find it amazing how easy it is for us all to misunderstand each other.

I think I understood why that question was asked though. I can be wrong.
  • Reply 92 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps, but applications don't take up much space compared to content. I think it's just a stopgap until a 3G arrives. A way to bolster sales for a couple more months before there is a sharp decline after it is announced. Perhaps then we will see lowered prices on the 1st generation iPhone line.

Depends on the application. I've got TomTom Mobile on my now 4 year old p910i and it takes up about 400MB of one of my cards. I've also got more MAME games and SCUMMVM games than I can possibly play taking up another 800MB.

The SDK is going to increase the demand on space significantly I reckon.
  • Reply 93 of 225
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you are 80% filled then you are using 59.6GiB. You'd need a 64GiB version, which is close to a grand and not yet dense enough to fit in the space provided. As nice as it would be, a $1,300 iPhone is too rich for me.

80 Gigabytes (GB) = 74.5 Gibibytes (GiB) x .8 = 59.6

So the soothsayer is now saying that a 64GB version would cost $1K! Dude- where did you learn to read and how do you know it would be priced as such by Apple?
  • Reply 94 of 225
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

I think it's probably a demand issue. Apple is always careful about maintaining price-points, and seems to know what the market will support. Clearly, they feel the market will support a 32 GB iPod Touch at $499, but not an iPhone with the same storage for what may have been $100 more.

I am surprised they added a "high-end" iPod Touch for a $100 premium, but apparently they are figuring it will increase in popularity once the SDK comes out. Space will certainly be an issue with so much new software being released over the coming months, so it makes sense. But it still surprises me that they chose to expand the line so quickly. I'm swaying toward buying one myself. I find myself adding the total space of my iTunes files on a weekly basis nowadays!

So what you are saying is, and I am being humorous here, by the time you add all that "new software over the coming months" that you will still be stucks with a 8GB iPhone but have paid Apple's 100 dollar registration fee to the world of SDK apps???
  • Reply 95 of 225
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YTV View Post

Not related to the iPhone since its ATT. But if your on Sprint or Verizon 3G is available in most areas.

But I guess they are getting there... \

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverage.../popUp_3g.html
  • Reply 96 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Depends on the application. I've got TomTom Mobile on my now 4 year old p910i and it takes up about 400MB of one of my cards. I've also got more MAME games and SCUMMVM games than I can possibly play taking up another 800MB.

That's quite a bit of data, but I think that may be an exception. Most of my apps for my Palm are about 100k or so in size, some a bit more, some a lot less. The iPhone apps I looked at generally weren't much bigger than that.
  • Reply 97 of 225
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Excuse me, but what got cheaper? or smaller?

The memory has come down in price somewhat.

Recently, Flash price drops haven't kept pace with the drop in price of RAM, which has dropped precipitously. But, if Apple had put this much Flash into the devices three months ago, they would have had to raise the price by $150, or more.

I suppose, $100 was the price point they considered to be viable. Larger capacity chips(one reason for the price drop), with their lower power draw also helps.
  • Reply 98 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I agree, but I most productivity apps are fairly small. How big is are the apps without the maps or game content loaded? Most productivity apps for other smartphones and the ones loaded on the iPhone are less than a few MB.

I still feel it's a more for marketing reasons to boost flattening sales after the holidays than making way for the SDK. After all there are over 4M people with iPhones that are only 4 or 8GB right now. They can't leave them without these apps.

I wonder if they will be lowering the prices of the current capacity iPhone when 3G arrives?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So the soothsayer is now saying that a 64GB version would cost $1K! Dude- where did you learn to read and how do you know it would be priced as such by Apple?

? http://www.google.com/products?q=64+...=next&start=10
  • Reply 99 of 225
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YTV View Post

If you didn't notice we are talking about the iPhone here and using it on the official network (AT&T) in the US is part of the iPhone package.
  • Reply 100 of 225
    My disappointment was that Apple didn't release a 16 GB 3G iPod nano. That would have been a hot seller and at 16 GB of memory, that's more than enough to hold quite a lot of music and even music videos.