Apple introduces 16GB iPhone, 32GB iPod touch models

Comments

• Reply 101 of 225
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Post from 'aiolos': [QOUTE]Gah, why did they have to raise the price 100 bucks, faaaaaaaaaaaack.

Some of it is!

Quote:

For 100 bucks, iPod touch with the 32GB model, gets a memory increase of 16GB versus the 8GB memory increase for the iPhone for that same 100 dollars.

in otherwords, 8GB FREE memory for the iPod Touch

What Apple is likely doing, is to some extent, averaging the price increases.

Companies almost always do that. They are also likely accepting a slightly lower margin on the iTouch when compared to the iPhone.
  • Reply 102 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The iPhone and iTouch is what we talking about here and neither got cheaper. If the 32GB SSD is cheaper than why is the 16GB and 8 GB the same price? You can't say the 32 iTouch is cheaper if it never existed before. Your reasoning once again makes no sense.

The lower priced chips drop in price much less than the higher priced chips do.

Look at older RAM. You will notice that the older chips, per capacity, can actuslly cost more than the newer higher capacity chips.

I suspect that Apple will either lower the price on the older models later, or discontinue them when the price on the larger memory drops enough.

By not trying to drop the price on the lower cap models now, they also partly subsidize the price of the newer models, encouraging people to buy them instead, which will happen in a good number of instances.

This is all standard business practice.
  • Reply 103 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why would you object to it?

It implies intention. We don't know that.
  • Reply 104 of 225
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The lower priced chips drop in price much less than the higher priced chips do...

I suspect he knows that. If you look at his posting history you'll see that he often tries to goad me in on these forums. Something about me not agreeing with his desire for AppleTV to play DVDs remotely, I think.
  • Reply 105 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I wasn't bitching about VAT or the price difference. I quite like VAT. VAT pays for my free healthcare.

You have no free healthcare. You pay for every penny. VAT and (much) higher taxes.

We don't have that, so we don't all have "free" healthcare, but we might get it if a Democrat is elected.
  • Reply 106 of 225
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

It implies intention. We don't know that.

I don't think it necessarily has to mean that they had intent or even a choice. If the chips aren't available to Apple, they have nothing to announce.
  • Reply 107 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I suspect he knows that. If you look at his posting history you'll see that he often tries to goad me in on these forums. Something about me not agreeing with his desire for AppleTV to play DVDs remotely, I think.

I know, we had a big argument about the price (and manufacturing methodology) for a 64GB SSD before the Air came out.
  • Reply 108 of 225
    Quote:

I know, we had a big argument about the price (and manufacturing methodology) for a 64GB SSD before the Air came out.

Fluck that! I'm holding out for a 64GB SSD iPod Shuffle
  • Reply 109 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why would you object to it?

Because "delay" and, in particular, "seems to delay" has such a nefarious undertone to it.

Your immediate question, i.e., "Are there Penryn-based notebooks in mass production?" was perfect.

Having said that, a better follow-up might have been, "Undoubtedly, Apple wouldn't purposely delay an update if there were enough chips to supply the demand. That is, if that was what you, or at least I hope you, were implying.

P.S., I hope that you understand that I didn't want your response to be misunderstood. I personally like your most recent posting, i.e., "If the chips aren't available to Apple, they have nothing to announce," is better than what I offered above.

Have a good day. Mine might have gotten off rather poorly.
  • Reply 110 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Because "delay" and, in particular, "seems to delay" has such a nefarious undertone to it.

Your immediate question, i.e., "Are there Penryn-based notebooks in mass production?" was perfect.

Having said that, a better follow-up might have been, "Undoubtedly, Apple wouldn't purposely delay an update if there were enough chips to supply the demand. That is, if that was what you, or at least I hope you, were implying

Yes, that's what I mean as well. The way it was worded implied that Apple was deliberately delaying the introductions.

Now, truthfully, they do that at times. They do it to hold some event, where they announce them. I've objected to it myself. But, we don't know if that's the reason here.
  • Reply 111 of 225
    Quote:

You have no free healthcare. You pay for every penny. VAT and (much) higher taxes.

We also have tax credits for those that are on low incomes. Last year I spent 6 months working on personal projects so my income was pretty low. I've not added it up but I suspect the tax man paid me more back in tax credits than I did in tax to him.

So yes, we pay higher taxes, but if you're not up shit creek without a paddle if you're going through a lean patch and fall ill.

And that's why we're more used to subsidised phones. Er....

Quote:

We don't have that, so we don't all have "free" healthcare, but we might get it if a Democrat is elected.

Well, I hope so. It does strike me as particularly stupid that one of the world's richest countries doesn't look after it's poor and sick well. I wouldn't bet on it changing though. I'm always underwhelmed by politicians and their promises.
  • Reply 112 of 225
    Quote:

We also have tax credits for those that are on low incomes. Last year I spent 6 months working on personal projects so my income was pretty low. I've not added it up but I suspect the tax man paid me more back in tax credits than I did in tax to him.

So yes, we pay higher taxes, but if you're not up shit creek without a paddle if you're going through a lean patch and fall ill.

And that's why we're more used to subsidised phones. Er....

Well, I hope so. It does strike me as particularly stupid that one of the world's richest countries doesn't look after it's poor and sick well. I wouldn't bet on it changing though. I'm always underwhelmed by politicians and their promises.

For the most part, people here DON"T want the government to provide them with the "cradle to the grave" services demanded in Europe.

If you've been following the election process here, you will see that a very large part of the public would prefer even MORE tax cuts instead.

I can give a good example from my own company.

We had a healthcare plan that even included dental services, and eyeglasses. For a small company (75 people at the highest), that was pretty good, and I was proud of it.

But I used to have employees regularly come to me to ask if I could drop their healthcare in exchange for some more money in their paycheck. If they insisted, I had no choice but to do that, but it was a foolish thing to do. Very shortsighted. But, people are like that.
  • Reply 113 of 225
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You are not very observant are you?

I'm just as observant as you are, thanks. I just wanted them the increase the size and keep the price the same, like they tend to do with some updates.
  • Reply 114 of 225
    Quote:

For the most part, people here DON"T want the government to provide them with the "cradle to the grave" services demanded in Europe.

That's maybe true for the middle classes but I suspect that the however many people without healthcare in the USA think otherwise.

Quote:

If you've been following the election process here, you will see that a very large part of the public would prefer even MORE tax cuts instead.

Yes, and I find it saddening. It's a pity the US is heading into a downturn when you've got such huge domestic problems to sort out. People seem to be thinking about their own backs not everyone's. If only you could elect out of paying such high taxes on your stupidly large defence budget eh?

Quote:

I can give a good example from my own company.

We had a healthcare plan that even included dental services, and eyeglasses. For a small company (75 people at the highest), that was pretty good, and I was proud of it.

But I used to have employees regularly come to me to ask if I could drop their healthcare in exchange for some more money in their paycheck. If they insisted, I had no choice but to do that, but it was a foolish thing to do. Very shortsighted. But, people are like that.

So perhaps the answer is you each stop paying taxes to the gov for defence and you take out personal defence insurance and just hope that enough rich people in the USA pay enough to keep an army going? It's worked well for healthcare hasn't it?
  • Reply 115 of 225
    Quote:

That's maybe true for the middle classes but I suspect that the however many people without healthcare in the USA think otherwise.

You'd be surprised. It was the lowest paid employees who were the most vocal in refusing my healthcare package.

Quote:

Yes, and I find it saddening. It's a pity the US is heading into a downturn when you've got such huge domestic problems to sort out. People seem to be thinking about their own backs not everyone's. If only you could elect out of paying such high taxes on your stupidly large defence budget eh?

We have such a large defense budget so that you don't. Sad, eh?

Quote:

So perhaps the answer is you each stop paying taxes to the gov for defence and you take out personal defence insurance and just hope that enough rich people in the USA pay enough to keep an army going? It's worked well for healthcare hasn't it?

Funny.
  • Reply 116 of 225
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I know some people are already complaining about the price(figures). But I remember the first ipod was like $500 too. And it was only 5 gigs and B&W with no video or internet!

So...in a way, the ipod touch is worth it to me.

My 60gig ipod recently broke, and I've been without music for nearly 3 weeks now. I didn't buy a new 60 gig ipod because I prefer the touch, but 16 gigs was just not enough(I have 21 gigs of audio so far).

I was HOPING a 32gig ipod touch would be released....and now my wish is answered! Thank you Apple!

Seriously. I am about to travel, and I was going to buy a new macbook(for surfing the web and email) AND an ipod...but now thanks to the touch update, I can put off my macbook purchase for now and just get the 32gig ipod touch. That way I can pretty much have a wifi laptop that fits in my pocket for my travels....which to me is so worth $500. Otherwise I'd be spending close to 2 grand for a new macbook and ipod.

For others it may not be a good deal right now. But for my situation it's perfect. :-)

Having said that, I look forward to when Apple puts a camera in this baby. Imagine being able to take pics on the fly and do video conferencing? :-) That'd be sooooo sweet.

I know the iphone has some of that now...but I travel so much, and don't like to be locked into ANY phone contract. If the iphone had a pay as you go plan, I'd be all over it. Until then, it's the ipod touch for me. :-)
  • Reply 117 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Doesn't it usually work that after a long period of time the price of storage goes down? The increased model then sells for the same as the high end previous version? What gives this time? The 8 &16 GB flash drive hasn't decreased in cost since last September- 6 months? Wouldn't these drop in another 3 months at most? Who would buy now at these prices?

I think Apple probably dropped the price more than they wanted to last time, but wanted a nice even number - which is why the same lower price wasn't reflected in Europe. So although the prices for memory are going down, we won't see that in the product just yet (but yes... I would've thought European iPhone/iTouch prices would drop slightly today, but they haven't eh?? hmmm).

The 32GB is probably set reasonably correctly in price. I suppose when the 3G iPhone comes out the 2.5G models will drop in price - I wonder if the iPod Touch will drop too?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Why only 32GB for he iPod touch?

Weird isn't it. I haven't studied the product tear downs - does an iPod touch have 2 sockets while the iPhone only has 1? Or is it just Apple's way of differentiating the products and giving the iTouch a boost?
  • Reply 118 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YTV View Post

Not related to the iPhone since its ATT. But if your on Sprint or Verizon 3G is available in most areas.

Yes and a iPhone with 2.5g and a different smartphone with 3G is not all that faster. Therefore I dont understand why everyone is all upset that there is no 3G.
  • Reply 119 of 225
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btitusjr View Post

Yes and a iPhone with 2.5g and a different smartphone with 3G is not all that faster. Therefore I dont understand why everyone is all upset that there is no 3G.

The tests do show a very comparable display between the 2.75G iPhone and a 3G non-iPhone, but I would think a 3G iPhone would easily best other 3G smartphones. If it's great enough, Apple may use such a comparison in the keynote.
  • Reply 120 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

Apple is getting there for me. When the iPhone came out I looked at that 8 gigs and the use of OS X, thought about the potential of developers jumping on an SDK and figured 8 gigs wouldn't make it. 16 gigs now look like the minimum with the SDK arriving this month. When you think of potential apps that will arrive this year along with the other stuff that will now be in a fully used iPhone memory is going to be the key.

Exactly what I was going to say. Memory upped just in time for the SDK to be released.

I believe that there are already major developers ready with finished or almost finished apps for your iPhone/iTouch. You're going to want as much memory on your iPhone/iTouch as possible once you can put applications on it.