France's Orange may be next to cut iPhone price, eat losses - reports

Comments

• Reply 21 of 304
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Some phones went back to China. China is not the majority of iPhone sales. You are uninformed.

Are you saying that T-Mobile USA is connecting the other missing million iphones onto their networks unofficially every quarter?

It doesn't matter where those missing iphones end up --- in China, or in Russia or in India --- it only matters that they are not truly American sales or American demand.
  • Reply 22 of 304
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Wow just wow.
  • Reply 23 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slicedbread View Post

Don't know why you'd celebrate the so-called "failing" of the iPhone in Europe. How exactly does that benefit you, as a consumer?

More of the same baseless complaints about Apple and the iPhone: "it's too expensive!" "they're greedy!" "it's overhyped!" Simple solution for all the complainers: don't buy it. It's a choice, remember?

Obviously, for a lot of consumers, the iPhone represents a strong value. Even in France, 100,000 users have bought the dang thing.

Any way you slice it, the iPhone has been a success. In some places it's been a more spectacular success than in others--but everywhere it's been a success, in that it's one of the hottest selling new phones ever introduced in each respective market.

So the iphone is a failure.

I can't believe some people, wanting a gadget to fail, you must have a real pitiful life.
  • Reply 24 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Schadenfreude old bean, pure schadenfreude!

No seriously, it benefits me as a consumer because if it bombs over here, Apple have three choices:

- Price it realistically, in which case I might get one.

- Take their ball and go home, in which case I lose nothing as I am not remotely interested at the current price.

- Continue as they have been, in the hope the 3G iPhone is a hit (it won't be). Again, I lose nothing and will continue to ignore the device.

So, I have nothing to gain from the staus quo, but might if Apple are forced to change their pricing.

For many users in Europe, phones are FREE. The iPhone may be great value in the US, but it isn't in the context of the European market.

We haven' been buying it! Tens of millions of us haven't - we know it is our choice and have been exercising it accordingly.

Those numbers indicate it has tanked big time. The population of France is 64 million - 100,000 is a joke!

Rubbish. The Nokia N95 is probably out selling the iPhone 100:1 in Europe. Sales of the iPhone in Europe have been weak and slow, not record setting.

Prove your stats young man..
  • Reply 25 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

I can't believe some people, wanting a gadget to fail, you must have a real pitiful life.

Do you want Nokia to start selling a full priced, crippled mobile phone with a long contract (with revenue sharing) --- with a brand new BB6 simlock that would take 3 years to crack?
  • Reply 26 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Do you want Nokia to start selling a full priced, crippled mobile phone with a long contract (with revenue sharing) --- with a brand new BB6 simlock that would take 3 years to crack?

Why do I care about Nokia, I care about Apple and it's products which is why I'm on an Apple forum. I wouldn't want any Apple to fail with any of their products, same as I wouldn't want none of Nokia, RIM or any other company to fail. It helps to drive the market, the iphone doing good is good for the market, same as with Nokia doing good. Any way you want to look at it Apple with their iphone have brought something new to the game and has made a lot of companies think different, this is good for the overall market, it means we get better products. Apple may not be perfect, they choose a model with which to sell the iphone, if you don't like what Apple is doing, don't buy their products, go buy your Nokia phones, but don't come here saying you want the iphone to fail, what does the iphone failing do for you. I sure don't want it to fail, I want it to succeed, just like I want other companies to succeed so that it helps to drive the market. Apple came with a good product and the market notice which is why the iphone has a lot of buzz around, they may not sell 50 million phones or 400 million like Nokia sells but they brought a broduct people noticed. It certainly has its shortcomings but it's nowhere near a failure. How many ipods does Apple sell in France, Germany, or even in the UK. Compare that to the number of iphones they have sold over there and there won't be that much difference, could Apple be doing better, sure they would but they are doing alright. You guys would still find a way to complain even if Apple had sold 50 million iphones but it's all good.

Why is the Nokia you here praising not doing so well in the States but you don't hear them being branded a failure, their marketshare even slipped but they aren't being called a failure, this is someone who has been in the game long before Apple even stepped in. Everyone has improvements but that doesn't make them a failure:

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...ceo_disse.html

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...1-24592004.htm

Also Apple may use different models in different countries, this is their first phone, they needed to get their foot in the door and see how it is, they will evolve and improve their products. They seem to do be doing a pretty good job and have a good understanding ot the market.

"Now, are we married to this model? Will we do that everywhere? We’re not married to any business model. What we’re married to is shipping the best phone in the world […] You might find [a country] where being exclusive might not be in our best interests…we’re going to intelligently think about each one and decide what’s best for the company to do. "
  • Reply 27 of 304
    Quote:

Why do I care about Nokia, I care about Apple and it's products which is why I'm on an Apple forum. I wouldn't want any Apple to fail with any of their products, same as I wouldn't want none of Nokia, RIM or any other company to fail. It helps to drive the market, the iphone doing good is good for the market, same as with Nokia doing good. Any way you want to look at it Apple with their iphone have brought something new to the game and has made a lot of companies think different, this is good for the overall market, it means we get better products. Apple may not be perfect, they choose a model with which to sell the iphone, if you don't like what Apple is doing, don't buy their products, go buy your Nokia phones, but don't come here saying you want the iphone to fail, what does the iphone failing do for you. I sure don't want it to fail, I want it to succeed, just like I want other companies to succeed so that it helps to drive the market. Apple came with a good product and the market notice which is why the iphone has a lot of buzz around, they may not sell 50 million phones or 400 million like Nokia sells but they brought a broduct people noticed. It certainly has its shortcomings but it's nowhere near a failure. How many ipods does Apple sell in France, Germany, or even in the UK. Compare that to the number of iphones they have sold over there and there won't be that much difference, could Apple be doing better, sure they would but they are doing alright. You guys would still find a way to complain even if Apple had sold 50 million iphones but it's all good.

Why is the Nokia you here praising not doing so well in the States but you don't hear them being branded a failure, their marketshare even slipped but they aren't being called a failure, this is someone who has been in the game long before Apple even stepped in. Everyone has improvements but that doesn't make them a failure:

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...ceo_disse.html

Don't really care about how Nokia is doing or not doing well.

But even the most diehard Apple fan have reservations on how the world would look like in the future if all the cell phone manufacturers (SE, Samsung, LG, Motorola....) ask for revenue sharing and how a monthly plan would look like.

The only good thing that came out of the iphone launch --- is teaching Americans that all those arguments about how good all those European simlocking laws are all garbage. Can't get unlocking codes from O2 or from T-Mobile Germany for the iphone. So-called "must also sell an unlocked version" law in France --- defeated by a $1200 price tag.
  • Reply 28 of 304
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Hey cnocbui-totally off topic...

I'm coming to Ireland for my first time in 2 weeks! Any must-see things that most tourists don't know about as well as must-avoid things where 1,000s of tourists go? I'm staying in a small town in the Southwest. Any info is appreciated!

Fáilte !

I really think the obvious tourist highlights are a must. A leisurely drive along the coast just to the west of Cork should be on the agenda. On the South west coast, the village of Kilkee is worth a visit. Obviously the cliffs of Moher, Ring of Kerry, the Burren and lakes of Kerry should be on the itinerary. They are all tourist highlights, but for very good reasons!

If you are going to venture a bit further, the Rock of Cashel in Tipperary is impressive. Connemara, north of Galway is well worth a visit. If you make it that far, the village of Cong is a lesser known jewel. Once saw a paraplegic German tourist in his wheelchair holding up a salmon he had just caught for his friend to photograph. Had a huge grin on him, he did. His arm was more muscled than my leg, I think, and it was quivering under the strain ;-)

Try not to 'do' the whole of Ireland in one trip, better to stick to one area so you don't spend all your time just getting from A to B. See the rest on subsequent trips!

Visit the pubs and ask if and when any have a 'session' on (local musicians performing traditional music) The south west is strong on traditional music.

I wouldn't worry too much about huge crowds of tourists, two weeks is well off the peak tourist season. Bring wet weather gear and warm clothes, it's spring and it IS going to rain.

Stay in B&B's, they're great. Ask those running the B&B's advice, it will be far better than mine.

We were tourists here a couple times, the third time we stayed.

I reckon the best tourist info these days is Flickr.com Grab a map and type in place names, sights, anything. What others have seen will give you a good idea of things you might want to also.

Have a great trip.
  • Reply 29 of 304
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

If O2 managed to activate 200K iphones in about 3 months --- for a population of 60 million people in England. Then it has done a little better than AT&T activating 900K iphones in the christmas quarter --- for population of 300 million people in US.

The iphone is not even a success in the US.

It's not that simple. It's not just simply sales / population. The markets are entirely different.

Quote:

It's not really the gadget failing, but more the business model of an expensive phone, restrictive contract and expensive tariff with kickbacks to Apple. That's for the most part what Apple got wrong. The lack of 3G and certain software features is certainly part of the issue but it's more the business model.

Their strategy in the USA seems pretty good but it just doesn't translate well to Europe.
  • Reply 30 of 304
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:

If O2 managed to activate 200K iphones in about 3 months --- for a population of 60 million people in England. Then it has done a little better than AT&T activating 900K iphones in the christmas quarter --- for population of 300 million people in US.

The iphone is not even a success in the US.

I have no idea why you're insisting that the iPhone is not a success. Since when is 'per head of population' a measure of success?

More to the point they've gone from selling no phones to selling 3 or 4 million in 6 months. They've rattled the existing players. They have huge hype and good reviews. The iPhone is now considered state of the art in phone software. The iPhone is a huge success. And people who own the phone are very satisfied with it.

By your measure, any phone in the same market segment made by Nokia, Sony or whoever is a miserable failure.
  • Reply 31 of 304
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Only when the gadget is as overhyped and overrated as the iPhone.

It's also called competition. Why did blu-ray fans want HD DVD to fail and vice\\versa?
  • Reply 32 of 304
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I have no idea why you're insisting that the iPhone is not a success.

This thread is just about European sales, where it's sold about a tenth of the US into a market that is already used to smartphones and generally has greater than 100% penetration of mobile phones.

If you're myopic enough to not see past the Statue of Liberty, then yes, the iPhone is a raging success.
  • Reply 33 of 304
    Quote:

I

And people who own the phone are very satisfied with it.

Especially those that paid $600 for them less than a year ago.
  • Reply 34 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Er, no we don't.

I know you don't - I was being sarcastic because many koolaid victims here have made that insinuation left and right for months!!! Can you believe it- they actually thought all the missing iPhones were for that very reason ( the French/Europeans plan their vacations specifically around NYC to buy iPhones)! And then when the Chinese version of the missing iPhones came in, they still denied it.
  • Reply 35 of 304
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

It's not that simple. It's not just simply sales / population. The markets are entirely different.

It's not really the gadget failing, but more the business model of an expensive phone, restrictive contract and expensive tariff with kickbacks to Apple. That's for the most part what Apple got wrong. The lack of 3G and certain software features is certainly part of the issue but it's more the business model.

Their strategy in the USA seems pretty good but it just doesn't translate well to Europe.

The lack of staggering sales of the iPhone in Europe is evidence that Apple can not simply come to Europe and proclaim that they are the saviors of mobile telephony. I use the Finnish operators again as an example. They know that between Sweden, and Finland, some of the most phone savvy customers exist. The iPhone with its 3 year old technology (minus the nice UI and OS) simply did not translate into high-tech. My friends there that have the iPhone still carry another phone for "real" telephony while using the iPhone as a back up simply because as a so-called "Smartphone" it fails miserably.
  • Reply 36 of 304
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I know you don't - I was being sarcastic because many koolaid victims here have made that insinuation left and right for months!!! Can you believe it- they actually thought all the missing iPhones were for that very reason! And then when the Chinese version of the missing iPhones came in, they still denied it.

You just beat me to it. I missed your humorous intent, mea culpa. Actually a very nice subtle jibe that, when I have re-engaged the humour circuits

Carry on!
  • Reply 37 of 304
    Quote:

I have no idea why you're insisting that the iPhone is not a success. Since when is 'per head of population' a measure of success?

More to the point they've gone from selling no phones to selling 3 or 4 million in 6 months. They've rattled the existing players. They have huge hype and good reviews. The iPhone is now considered state of the art in phone software. The iPhone is a huge success. And people who own the phone are very satisfied with it.

By your measure, any phone in the same market segment made by Nokia, Sony or whoever is a miserable failure.

The iphone cannot be regarded as a success in the US for 3 reasons:

1) AT&T's activation numbers stalled in the christmas quarter

2) American sales numbers are not really American when 1/2 of them are shipped overseas

3) Verizon Wireless did absolulely nothing to counter the iphone and still gets better postpaid net adds than AT&T since the iphone was launched.

The only meaningful success is that the initial hype of people lining up to buy the iphone --- got 3 carriers in Europe to sign these idiotic revenue sharing deals with Apple.

You said existing players were rattled --- yet the first carrier (Verizon) Apple talked to --- refused Apple outright. Verizon did nothing to counter the iphone, no price cuts on monthly plans --- nothing. Verizon still beat the crap out of AT&T on postpaid net adds.
  • Reply 38 of 304
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:

The iphone cannot be regarded as a success in the US for 3 reasons:

1) AT&T's activation numbers stalled in the christmas quarter

2) American sales numbers are not really American when 1/2 of them are shipped overseas

3) Verizon Wireless did absolulely nothing to counter the iphone and still gets better postpaid net adds than AT&T since the iphone was launched.

The only meaningful success is that the initial hype of people lining up to buy the iphone --- got 3 carriers in Europe to sign these idiotic revenue sharing deals with Apple.

You said existing players were rattled --- yet the first carrier (Verizon) Apple talked to --- refused Apple outright. Verizon did nothing to counter the iphone, no price cuts on monthly plans --- nothing. Verizon still beat the crap out of AT&T on postpaid net adds.

That's all totally irrelevant. One quarter is hardly important, especially one in which sales were poor for everyone. And what has Verizons sales versus AT&T sales got to do with anything? They sell many more phones than iPhones.

Really if you want to say the phone is a failure go ahead. But all these meaningless reasons are pretty pointless in the face of it's overwhelming stature in the market place and millions of sales. What's your problem, did an iPhone cause the death of a loved one, or are you an sad, angry loner looking for an outlet?
  • Reply 39 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Only when the gadget is as overhyped and overrated as the iPhone.

It's also called competition. Why did blu-ray fans want HD DVD to fail and vice\\versa?

So let me get it, you're here on Apple site to tell people that the iphone is a failure, i hope that helps you sleep at night.
  • Reply 40 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

The lack of staggering sales of the iPhone in Europe is evidence that Apple can not simply come to Europe and proclaim that they are the saviors of mobile telephony. I use the Finnish operators again as an example. They know that between Sweden, and Finland, some of the most phone savvy customers exist. The iPhone with its 3 year old technology (minus the nice UI and OS) simply did not translate into high-tech. My friends there that have the iPhone still carry another phone for "real" telephony while using the iPhone as a back up simply because as a so-called "Smartphone" it fails miserably.

When did Apple come to Europe and proclaim they are the "saviours of mobile telephony"..