Apple says Steve Jobs feeling a little under the weather recently

1246712

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post


    In my days of simply lurking on this forum, I read any number of ouragan's tirades about how Steve Jobs didn't deserve his success because he was "the illegitimate child of an unwed mother and a Syrian father," and because he "didn't have the persistence or moral fiber to complete a university education." (Like Bill Gates did, for example?) I've almost been motivated to reply on several occasions, if only to say how offended I am by these arguments, but I usually just say to myself: "Well, everybody's entitled to their opinion."



    However: saying that kind of thing on this particular thread is at least bad taste....



    Steve Jobs is Hank Rearden and he deserves every bit of profit from his company he's earned. Maybe ouragan should go out and start a company that is the embodiment of his ideals and see if it works or sells. I think Microsoft, IBM and Dell have already done what he suggests and they're getting their ass handed to them as far as I'm concerned.



    Now, I just did a little research and found out that Steve had a neuroendocrine islet cell tumor removed from his pancreas. It's the exocrine pancreas cancers that are uniformly fatal. So this is reassuring to me. They are indolent in nature and can be cured by surgical resection. They can metastasize to the liver but can be treated there as well with good survival rates.
  • Reply 62 of 224
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    It's the leaders with university degrees that almost capsized Apple. Why go back to that?



    i couldn't agree more!
  • Reply 63 of 224
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Oh come on, it's not like Apple will die out and go bankrupt if Steve has to leave for health reasons. He's been there for what, 10 years now? I'm sure Forestall, Schiller and others have caught up enough of the "Steveism" to continue his work after he leaves, and run Apple like he would do. Besides, it's not like Steve designs the new MacBook Pro, codes half of Snow Leopard and then goes out to settle yet another iPhone carrier contract. Sure, he takes some major decisions, but I'm pretty confident that if whoever follows him comes from the current top at Apple, there will be a big "WWSD" mentality.
  • Reply 64 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    Maybe he just wants to live forever. The best way to live a long life is to be the skinniest guy on the block, everyone knows that. Just as people who keep their weight under control can expect to live ten years longer than the rest, those who actually reduce their calorie intake further can add even more years. If anyone would be focussed on stuff like that it's Steve Jobs.



    This is a very good point. Steve Jobs seems like a very likely convert to Ray Kurzweil's Live Long Enough to Live Forever cult.
  • Reply 65 of 224
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post


    Oh come on, it's not like Apple will die out and go bankrupt if Steve has to leave for health reasons. He's been there for what, 10 years now? I'm sure Forestall, Schiller and others have caught up enough of the "Steveism" to continue his work after he leaves, and run Apple like he would do. Besides, it's not like Steve designs the new MacBook Pro, codes half of Snow Leopard and then goes out to settle yet another iPhone carrier contract. Sure, he takes some major decisions, but I'm pretty confident that if whoever follows him comes from the current top at Apple, there will be a big "WWSD" mentality.



    Those who have not gone through the process of starting their own company just don't get it. One might think the founder of a company can easily be replaced with any old MBA... dead wrong. A company literally is a living entity to the entrepreneur. Something to be shaped and grown.
  • Reply 66 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post


    Oh come on, it's not like Apple will die out and go bankrupt if Steve has to leave for health reasons.



    Yea it is like that.
  • Reply 67 of 224
    the pics of DestructoTex are notable....re weight, and stunningly, apparently the same clothes, quite miserly, eh?
  • Reply 68 of 224
    bwikbwik Posts: 564member
    Apple did not deny that Steve is gravely ill. Can't you people see that "Steve had a cold recently" does not contradict "Steve's gravely ill with cancer." I hope not, but he could be.
  • Reply 69 of 224
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DestructoTex View Post


    Take a look at him just over a year ago at MacWorld 2007:





    And earlier this year at MacWorld 2008 in January:





    And then yesterday at WWDC:





    The man is clearly wasting away- and quickly.





    Oh, come on, that's all because of the lighting and focal length of the lens. Look, I dragged the third one into PS, lightened it a little and saturated the reds, and then shortened it to match the proportions of the first photo from 2007. Now, doesn't he look just fine?





    I think this is a little sensational. But, just in case, I hope they've got some engineers working on a way to keep his brain alive inside a Mac. haha.
  • Reply 70 of 224
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Those who have not gone through the process of starting their own company just don't get it. One might think the founder of a company can easily be replaced with any old MBA... dead wrong. A company literally is a living entity to the entrepreneur. Something to be shaped and grown.



    yes!



    good companies depend on a good team leading and having a VISION! just like politics....!!!



    no vision, no goal, no growth...



    and don't forget experience, taste and all those things... one of the most important things about apple is it's design and to be able to bring products to life that are ahead of the market... most of the apple products were copied somehow for years to come...



    just look @ the iphone and how it has been copied by almost any phone manufacturer... but what most people don;t get is that the iphones most important strength is iphone osX! the ability to do everything other phones do, but with ease. apple always has tried to make difficult, tedious things, easy and to bring them to the masses.... they're back on track... that's also wht mobileme is so important, to make all those features easy to use... most people don;t even try to master those things since just spelling the names of the features is almost impossible for the non-geek...
  • Reply 71 of 224
    bwikbwik Posts: 564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluesplayer View Post


    Yea it is like that.



    Agreed. Apple, like any company, is bound to be run by idiots. Steve ran Apple in the 1980s, things were great. Other people ran Apple in the 90s, everything went straight to hell.



    Steve is the ONLY thing keeping Apple on track. A WWSD mentality is great -- possibly our best hope -- but the dangers of Steve leaving are extreme.



    Steve's leadership is not just a philosophy. It's making calls on new ideas. You either make the wrong call or the right call. Nobody has made as many right calls as Steve. Probably no one could. Steve is not a "leadership team." He is one man. His word is final. This has been the key to Apple's success. Integration, singular focus, singular ideas. It's all Steve. IMO
  • Reply 72 of 224
    jimerljimerl Posts: 53member
    he's looked better. i noticed his face, he looked gaunt.



    perhaps he is .... aging?





    or from the looks of him, maybe schillers been swiping steve's salmon sprout pita wrap from the executive fridge.
  • Reply 73 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post


    Oh, come on, that's all because of the lighting and focal length of the lens. Look, I dragged the third one into PS, lightened it a little and saturated the reds, and then shortened it to match the proportions of the first photo from 2007. Now, doesn't he look just fine?





    I think this is a little sensational. But, just in case, I hope they've got some engineers working on a way to keep his brain alive inside a Mac. haha.



    Here's a comparison clockwise: March 6 SDK event, WWDC 2008, Special Event Sept. 2007, Macworld 2008.







    I noticed this too. It seemed like the aspect ratio of the keynote was off compared to previous keynotes.



    I don't think he looks that bad to be honest with you, to me he always looks thinner at WWDC keynotes compared to Macworld keynotes.
  • Reply 74 of 224
    red_kolared_kola Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KimKapSol


    I am making coffin right now!



    Seriously, this whole article shows Appleinsider in a really poor light. I've always preferred this place to Mac Rumors but I notice they have seen fit not to enter into this idle and, frankly, rather shameful speculation.



    Poor show AI.
  • Reply 75 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimerl View Post


    perhaps he is .... aging?.



    I think you've nailed it. People still think he's the same man he was in the 80's, but look and Bush's pix from 2000 vs now. Age does catch up to people in stressful situations.



    Jobs is getting older, and it's starting to show. Someday he will retire. I wouldn't think that would come as a shock to people.
  • Reply 76 of 224
    I went to my dentist Monday (about four hours before the keynote). My dentist has been battling some type of abdominal cancer for about a year. I couldn't get over how gaunt my dentist appeared since I last saw him six months ago. Jobs looked much like he did. When I first saw Jobs at the keynote, the first word to come to my mind was "cancer."



    I think if Jobs was battling some type of flu they would have prefaced it before the show. Anyway, Jobs is entitled to his privacy concerning health. I do wish him well and I hope I am wrong.
  • Reply 77 of 224
    jcsegenmdjcsegenmd Posts: 105member
    I didn't see anyone else notice the the profit margin on a £$200 iPhone is pretty slim



    observe, mes amis, a comment by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld July 03, 2007



    Apple's iPhone profit margin greater than 50 percent

    Tear-down analysis by iSuppli finds that $333 out of the $599 price for the 8GB iPhone is profit for Apple, a margin of nearly 56 percent



    Even if they sell 20 million that drastic a drop in price is an oddity, as the profit margin is pretty thin; $299 I could see, even $249, but $199? They'll be selling out at that price and not making a lot of money



    why?
  • Reply 78 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post


    It's time for another leader, this time with a university education, to emerge and do so much better than Steve Jobs could ever do



    This comment is so stupid, I almost fell over laughing. Yeah, like George Bush, maybe--he's got a degree, right? What an idiotic thing to say. And on this particular thread, totally without a shred of class.



    (I have a university education, by the way--a graduate degree from a fairly prestigious university. While the process was worthwhile for me, it sure wasn't necessary for achieving success in business--which I did years *before* I went to university, managing lots of people who had degrees from fancy institutions while I had none.)
  • Reply 79 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by red_kola View Post


    That's a fairly common weight loss from a Norovirus (commonly known as Winter Vomiting Bug) or a number of other gastric bugs.



    He was a skinny runt to start with. These things seriously reduce your weight over a shocking quick period of time.



    Those things are seriously bad, and I've had it dozens of times, the one thing I really hate about xmas/new year. over the last ten years I've been almost guaranteed to get a bout of it, some times 2 or three.



    Ive actually lost about 14lbs in 30 mins, so, you know, Steve has a way to go IMO.



    Calorie Restriction is what I'm thinking now I've had time to mull it over, its like something he'd be into, all about control all about being better, but it can leave you with less energy.
  • Reply 80 of 224
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post


    I didn't see anyone else notice the the profit margin on a £$200 iPhone is pretty slim



    observe, mes amis, a comment by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld July 03, 2007



    Apple's iPhone profit margin greater than 50 percent

    Tear-down analysis by iSuppli finds that $333 out of the $599 price for the 8GB iPhone is profit for Apple, a margin of nearly 56 percent



    Even if they sell 20 million that drastic a drop in price is an oddity, as the profit margin is pretty thin; $299 I could see, even $249, but $199? They'll be selling out at that price and not making a lot of money



    why?



    They'll be giving away the shavers and charging for the blades (old business axiom)... they can afford to take less of a profit on every iPhone because now they'll be taking a little piece of every software sale... Guess what? This is the same model that made them the biggest seller of music in the world! That seems pretty smart to me.
Sign In or Register to comment.