Apple releases iPhone 2.0.1 Software Update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 158
    Still can't get my POP e-mail account to work.

Oh, well.
  • Reply 22 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What's you point?

We'll see how this progresses and I'll let you know...
  • Reply 23 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriendInMyPants View Post

does NOT fix non-working sleep/wake button

Pretty hard for software to fix a mechanical problem. Call U.S. iPhone technical support: 1-800-MY-IPHONE (1-800-694-7466).
  • Reply 24 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

And you really think Apple puts out useless upgrades?? I'm sure it won't fix everything you expect it to, but I doubt it "isn't any different".

Mine's downloading now. If I develop the same opinion, I'll be the first to admit it. It's not my experience however with Apple.

I've been playing with it and as I was opening a new email window my phone went black. Just shut off. I had to hold both buttons in until I got to the apple and now i am 5 minutes into the apple with nothing happening.

Ever since 2.0 came out my phone has been useless.

Update: as I was typing the phone came back on, took about 6 minutes.
  • Reply 25 of 158
    Do they post changelogs for anything?

Or does anyone have link(s) to articles identifying the specific changes? Or are we just supposed to hope and see if we believe certain things have been fixed or not based on our own experience.

Because my phone periodically crashes, no apps will run and my iPod music collection appears zero'ed out. I have to use restore, or reset all settings and resync, and then I get another couple days out of it. But it's unstable as hell, and it's weird that it corrupts the iPod database internally too, out of all things...
  • Reply 26 of 158
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Ok, it is up and running. Seems stable so far, and snappier (brief test with SMS typing).
  • Reply 27 of 158
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrunchinJelly View Post

Still can't get my POP e-mail account to work.

Oh, well.

I think some people expect software updates to be a brain transplant.

Sometimes the problem is not with the device...
  • Reply 28 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike503 View Post

Do they post changelogs for anything?

Or does anyone have link(s) to articles identifying the specific changes? Or are we just supposed to hope and see if we believe certain things have been fixed or not based on our own experience.

Because my phone periodically crashes, no apps will run and my iPod music collection appears zero'ed out. I have to use restore, or reset all settings and resync, and then I get another couple days out of it. But it's unstable as hell, and it's weird that it corrupts the iPod database internally too, out of all things...

Typically, the documentation on fixes is compiled by people on sites like this. I've had many of the same problems, most of which I attribute to apps and memory issues. Apple will get things cleaned up (probably not all in this release). Developers are creating many of the problems and Apple is supposed to be keeping them off of the device by having the App Store. It's an interesting experiment.
  • Reply 29 of 158
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    few things I can notice immediately are the reception bars have gained a bar or two and now it's more responsive to my fingers for sure than 2.0.
  • Reply 30 of 158
    phlakephlake Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

few things I can notice immediately are the reception bars have gained a bar or two and now it's more responsive to my fingers for sure than 2.0.

I feel obliged to say that in my brief testing, it certainly feels Snappier©.
  • Reply 31 of 158
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    It is snappier for sure.

2.1 should really get things moving.
  • Reply 32 of 158
    i defintely noticed another bar too1 at first, now its gone. but theres less lag.

PS im on hold, prolly forever, with tech support about my non-working sleep button. im 99.9% sure ill have to return it. damnit. damnit. son of a bitch.
  • Reply 33 of 158
    Still, when I was playing Texas Hold'em, its impossible to write SMS after that for example. So no fix for that problem.
  • Reply 34 of 158
    Software AND firmware update....

I'm hoping for battery life improvements and changes to how push services impact power consumption.
  • Reply 35 of 158
    No cut & paste ..... still no way to add invitees to calendar appointments in calendar with exchange....
  • Reply 36 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

I think some people expect software updates to be a brain transplant.

Sometimes the problem is not with the device...

Is this supposed to be clever, Mr Cool Factor?

I have owned countless mobile phones and have not had a problem connecting to my POP e-mail with any. Along comes the iPhone and it won't connect at all.

This is not and end user problem, it's a problem with the way the iPhone handles Mail.

No need to be so hostile.
  • Reply 37 of 158
    Alright, mine's finally finished. The first thing I did was go to the phone features. Contact performance was abysmal and the lag loading the keypad was aggravating as hell. Both of these things have been fixed and the iPhone behaves as it did before 2.0. Thank you. We are now back at 1st base.

iPod lags are much improved as well.

Email loads appear to be quicker.

I'll mess with the apps for a few hours and see how stable Safari is. I would say that is the largest issue next to the phone and address book performance. Lots of crashes with 2.0

Correction....

lags are BETTER than improved. Browsing names in the address book, switching between the keypad, addressbook, voicemail is instantaneous. Thank God!
  • Reply 38 of 158
    To refute one of the 'fixes': you could drag icons across multiple pages before, although it meant you had to stop at the edge of the next page to get it to flip to the page beyond. I'm hoping it's a little more intuitive now.
  • Reply 39 of 158
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:

I have owned countless mobile phones and have not had a problem connecting to my POP e-mail with any. Along comes the iPhone and it won't connect at all.

This is not and end user problem, it's a problem with the way the iPhone handles Mail.

Dude,

I had this a while back. Delete your email accounts and set them up manually. Do not sync them from iTunes. Try this and see if it works.
  • Reply 40 of 158
    Quote:

PM me some info maybe I can help you out. I had problems with optonline, and I fixed it. I posted it to my blog, and have gotten quite a few hits off of it.

What I did was be sure my username and password were entered into the login fields (without the trailing @optonline.net). At home (or the office for that matter) I use optimum, and you do not log in, you must leave those fields blank for outgoing mails. On the iPhone, you must enter them in, and be sure for the outgoing SMTP to use password as authentication. I left SSL off, and use port 587. Then you can send off of any account you wish. Logging in is only necessary for retrieving.

As I said, if you tell me your service we can brainstorm it.