Apple releases iPhone 2.0.1 Software Update

Comments

• Reply 81 of 158
    norennoren Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Dude,

I had this a while back. Delete your email accounts and set them up manually. Do not sync them from iTunes. Try this and see if it works.

The same here. Turned of the syncing of e-mails. Set it up manually.

The authorisation settings and the port were wrong during syncing.
  • Reply 82 of 158
    Remember that it was a x.0 release. I was the first in line to get an iPhone, fully aware there would be bugs since it is a .0 release.

If you do not want to deal with bugs, wait until a x.1 release and let the rest of the world beta test it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

I hope this fixes the terrible interface lags, the numerous daily crashes, and the numerous bugs.

The new 2.0 OS has built a pretty negative opinion of Apple and its quality in my head. I hope this changes that opinion.

• Reply 83 of 158
    i think people put too much emphasis on bars.

screw cingular and now at&t and their whole "bar" marketing ploy.

sometimes i get dropped calls or no calls (people say it goes straight to voicemail) when it says i have 5 bars, and vice-versa. (on previous phones)

i don't trust the bars on anything including the iphone. i wouldn't be surprised if apple just helped at&t's reputation out by making the bars display higher without real true signal amplification
  • Reply 84 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

A year later, and we still don't have CUT, COPY AND PASTE!!!!! That's a HUGE SHORTCOMING, and thus a perfect point of ridicule for Apple's competitors who say that iPhone is not an Email Device, and is mostly Read Only!

One of the Apple execs stated that CUT, COPY AND PASTE! were not the top priorities... I wonder what planet that guy is on?!

Here is my iPhone WISH LIST, but I'd settle with the top 5 items!!!

* Copy and Paste

* Editing of Documents (Word, Pages, PDF etc.)

* Memo-Notes 2 Way Syncing

* Spotlight Search

* Adobe Flash Support

* Removable Battery

* Card Slot for External Storage

* Wireless Bluetooth (in Ear Headphones, with Noice Cancellation!)

* Video Recording (natively)

* Audio Recording (natively)

* Flash on the Photo Camera

* Skype or some Voice over IP

* Solar Charging

* SMS and Phone Call Log Syncing (natively)

* Voice and Internet at the same time while on 3G, not just on WiFi

Memo-Notes 2 Way Syncing + Spotlight Search is what holding me and my friends from buying iPhone, since we are coming from Palm Treo's and have a ton of Notes and Memos, that we can't sync to iPhone, and even if we could, without Spotlight, or some kind of Search, how would we find those on iPhone?

iPhone is a PLATFORM, PORTABLE COMPUTER -- nice buzz words, but how can anyone call it that without CUT, COPY AND PASTE!?????????

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW, APPLE????????????: !!!!

Jailbreak it.
  • Reply 85 of 158
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

You need to chill. This is not a hate forum. Write these feedbacks to Apple, not here. All the things you stated are of a non-importance to user. Solar Charging? WTF? You want Razor with that too?

Nope, they just want a Baa Baa and a Panky Poo!
  • Reply 86 of 158
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudtamer View Post

6) Removeable Battery - LMAO!!! When has apple ever had a removable battery in any Ipod product?

But they are selling it as a phone, all phones have a removable battery

Quote:

7) Card Slot for External Storage - Apple won't do this.. promotes illegal music sharing. Thank you RIAA

Why would it? Every smart phone has a card slot in it

Quote:

12) Skype or some Voice over IP - I bet AT&T won't let them, hopefully At&T will release something.

Remembering that they selling the device outside the US as well, and some networks sell a Skype phone to make calls over their 3G network.
  • Reply 87 of 158
    >>>You can now drag an app icon across multiple pages in one motion, rather than having to drag it, drop it, pick it up again and drag it over to next page, and repeat.

Dragging across multiple pages has always worked, just practice your technique!
  • Reply 88 of 158
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

* Copy and Paste

* Editing of Documents (Word, Pages, PDF etc.)

* Memo-Notes 2 Way Syncing

* Spotlight Search

* Adobe Flash Support

* Removable Battery

* Card Slot for External Storage

* Wireless Bluetooth (in Ear Headphones, with Noice Cancellation!)

* Video Recording (natively)

* Audio Recording (natively)

* Flash on the Photo Camera

* Solar Charging

* SMS and Phone Call Log Syncing (natively)

* Voice and Internet at the same time while on 3G, not just on WiFi

* Copy and Paste : will be on its way, but done properly, no point in bodging something up temporarily because people get used to it, then its tricky to detrain people. Just leave it out until the 'ideal' way of implementing the feature is possible. i think apple have an elegant solution, but its simply not possible with current hardware /software.

* Adobe Flash Support : the longer this is kept off the iphone the better it is for the whole world in the long run.

* Removable Battery : people need to get over that one, i have had more mobile devices than hot dinners, and have never had to change a battery. if your the type of bloke who inherits uncle bobs 2 year old hand-me-downs then it could be a problem. But phones are effectively 'disposable' devices.

* Card Slot for External Storage, as someone else said, this could pose a problem with file sharing, there is a complex relationship with the content providers, apple often gets blamed for the hoops they are forced into . Also, physical storage is a bit oldskool now, you have a fast 3g connection with unlimited supply of online storage, thats the way to go, the way of the future, not silly little cards.

* Skype or some Voice over IP : see above
  • Reply 89 of 158
    +1 for MMS

External storage means you have the ability to upgrade your phone. Apple wants you to buy their next new product. Ditto for 2 Mpixel camera and any other hardware issues you may have.

Back on topic, seems the consensus is "it's better"?
  • Reply 90 of 158
    I've been waiting for this update to correct the infuriating problem where the keyboard responsiveness slows down while writing an SMS.

This bug is widely reported - I know two other iPhone users who have the same problem. It can be corrected with a 'hard reset'

This is the first thing I tried when the update was complete - and it's still there.

I know that unlike the rest of the world, Americans don't generally use the SMS feature, but in Europe it is essential.

I simply cannot believe I still have this issue following the update. My first gen iPhone was great - the 3G is almost unusable because of the constant crashes. I've decided after this update enough is enough and am looking for a new phone.
  • Reply 91 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhatz768 View Post

Remember that it was a x.0 release. I was the first in line to get an iPhone, fully aware there would be bugs since it is a .0 release.

If you do not want to deal with bugs, wait until a x.1 release and let the rest of the world beta test it.

I think it's wholly justified to expect the thing to work, no matter what release it is. The phone isn't called the iPhone 3G Beta, it is an expensive piece of equipment from a respectable company that prides itself on making quality products that are easy to use. The 2.0 software is not some shareware app made by a kid in his bedroom. They'll always be some bugs of course, but the new iPhone is bearly usable.

I'm a fan of Apple, but suggesting that consumers should expect serious problems until an update is ridiculous. Personally I think the iPhone 3G will do Apple's repuatation a lot of damage. As my all-Windows friend whose first experience of Apple is his iPhone said - I thought Apples crashed less often than Windows? Think again.
  • Reply 92 of 158
    Regarding the change in backup speed, I suspect that the recent iTunes update (7.7.1) had some of the architecture needed to support incremental/differential backups to work with whatever was done in OS 2.0.1 to speed up the backup procedure. Of course, I'm sure anyone who is getting the new OS has already updated iTunes.
  • Reply 93 of 158
    Quote:

I think Apple's position on that is pretty clear: They have no intention of doing that themselves at the moment, but 3rd party developers are free to offer it via the App store.

Jobs has gone on record as saying that Apple would not block a 3rd party VoIP application from the App Store, provided the application only attempted to communicate via a WiFi connection. If it attempted to communicate via the cellular network's data connection, it would be banned.
  • Reply 94 of 158
    maybe it's too early to say it, but I think the battery has a better life than before 2.0.1.

Usually since the 2.0 firmware, my iphone 3G is battery full at the beginning of the day and between 50 to 75% at 2pm.

I updated the iphone this morning, with battery full, and the battery was nearly 90-95% full at 2pm, with the same global use.

Do you have a similar feedback about the battery life ?
  • Reply 95 of 158
    Don't feed the trolls.

This is a thread about the 2.0.1 update, a minor bug fix update. Somebody sprouting off about the device in general is in the wrong place. With sales of the iPhone where they are, it seems that plenty of people don't really care about some of the issues listed. There will always be some frustrated people who will complain for whatever reason. Just recall what happened when the MacBook Air was released; the negative feedback was overwhelming. For those of us who actually have MBA's, we know very well how powerful the machine actually really is and what you can actually get done with it. The same goes for the current iPhone; though not perfect, it still has some amazing capabilities that, if used well, are very powerful. With apps coming out every day, it will only get better.

Going out in a few minutes and will test the GPS a little to see if 2.0.1's speed effects it.
  • Reply 96 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aymeric View Post

maybe it's too early to say it, but I think the battery has a better life than before 2.0.1.

Usually since the 2.0 firmware, my iphone 3G is battery full at the beginning of the day and between 50 to 75% at 2pm.

I updated the iphone this morning, with battery full, and the battery was nearly 90-95% full at 2pm, with the same global use.

Do you have a similar feedback about the battery life ?

When you say its between 50 -75% by the afternoon, what kind of usage is happening in between the morning and afternoon?
  • Reply 97 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

When you say its between 50 -75% by the afternoon, what kind of usage is happening in between the morning and afternoon?

Passively, it's push emails, contacts and agendas with mobileme.

Actively, I use the following apps in a reasonable way:

- phone of course

- mail

- safary

- meteo

- sms

- stock exchange

- maps

- todo (sync with toodledo)

- facebook
  • Reply 98 of 158
    garv1egarv1e Posts: 2member
    I tried updating the software this morning but eventually got a 'Fatal Error' message saying the upgrade could not be completed. I detached the iPhone and then re-attached it to my Mac and clicked on the check for upgrade button in iTunesonly to be told it was the 2.0.1 version. Checked the iPhone itself and that says 2.0.1 too.

I feel that some functions are slower and the touch facility less responsive. Should I go for a complete reset?
  • Reply 99 of 158
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Actually, that's your problem, not Apple's. You should have waited to buy the new iPhone (or update the old one) until you got an 'all clear' signal.

• Reply 100 of 158
    scowlsscowls Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

Alright, mine's finally finished. The first thing I did was go to the phone features. Contact performance was abysmal and the lag loading the keypad was aggravating as hell. Both of these things have been fixed and the iPhone behaves as it did before 2.0. Thank you. We are now back at 1st base.

iPod lags are much improved as well.

Email loads appear to be quicker.

I'll mess with the apps for a few hours and see how stable Safari is. I would say that is the largest issue next to the phone and address book performance. Lots of crashes with 2.0

Correction....

lags are BETTER than improved. Browsing names in the address book, switching between the keypad, addressbook, voicemail is instantaneous. Thank God!

There's definitely an improvement, but I wouldn't go as far as to say we're back at v 1 performance. I'm still getting some significant lags when I try to move the alphabet bar on the right. Granted I have a very large address book (2,800 entries) and I've been told by Apple customer support that they haven't really tested Address book (or iCal) for large volume usage. Still I'm happy for the improvement since now it periodically responds quickly (versus always having a long lag) and eventually it comes around and behaves if I hold my finger in place for about 5 seconds.

The text message application seems a fair bit more responsive and the Camera application seems much improved as best I can tell on first try.