Symbian reports slow growth in the wake of the iPhone 3G launch

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 233
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Did anyone listen to the first GDGT podcast?

Near the end, there was a summary of the smartphone business which I think was very accurate.

On the beginning... Palm owned the handheld platform, but just did not do enough to keep that ownership.

The Window Mobile has frustrated users and partners by advancing too slowly. And Symbian is in a very similar position.

Three relatively lackluster players. Slow progress. But no surprises.

Because all three were equally weak, the opportunity was there for someone to come in and do it better. All of a sudden Rim, Apple and Android have entered the market with much more interesting devices.

It's going to be fun to see how the old guard respond.

C.

I tend to agree with that concept. Companies get comfortable with the competition they've had. They know their place in the order of things. When new competition comes along, they get confused, and for a while at least, are in denial. I've seen it happen many times.

I'm just not sure if we can put Andriod up there yet. It's not a product at this point, and we really don't know how it will do.

I'm looking to a bit of a longer term, say a year from now. That's when we'll see where things are going.
  • Reply 222 of 233
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Sales of smartphones in the USA grew 79% in the same period and now accounts for 25% of the world market.

The growth area in smartphones is the USA catching up.

The irony in this is last year, Euros were deriding the US for being behind in smartphone use. The truth is that smartphone use in the US had been growing exponentially for some years.

I argued that once the carriers got the pricing right the market would explode. That is what is happening now.

The US has also caught up to Europe in percentage of 3G use with the iPhone in the lead.
  • Reply 223 of 233
    Here is a graph showing recent smartphone marketshare year over year. RIM has doubled its marketshare to overtake WM for the number two spot after Symbian. Those sales cannot be totally from the US. Everyone gained marketshare at Symbian's loss. Symbian and Linux were the only two to loose marketshare.

http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/09/smartphone-mark.html
  • Reply 224 of 233
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Here is a graph showing recent smartphone marketshare year over year. RIM has doubled its marketshare to overtake WM for the number two spot after Symbian. Those sales cannot be totally from the US. Everyone gained marketshare at Symbian's loss. Symbian and Linux were the only two to loose marketshare.

http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/09/smartphone-mark.html

Those are international stats if Symbian is that high. Good for Palm for selling 2M units, I hope they can get back into the game. The iPhone for Q2 2007 is interesting since the iPhone only sold for 3 days in the 2nd quarter. I didn't realize it tool 1% of smartphone sales for the quarter in that time.

We have an idea as to how many iPhones have been sold this quarter, do we know how many smartphones should be sold in general, so we can figure out what percentage Apple will get in Q3 2008?
  • Reply 225 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Those are international stats if Symbian is that high. Good for Palm for selling 2M units, I hope they can get back into the game. The iPhone for Q2 2007 is interesting since the iPhone only sold for 3 days in the 2nd quarter. I didn't realize it tool 1% of smartphone sales for the quarter in that time.

We have an idea as to how many iPhones have been sold this quarter, do we know how many smartphones should be sold in general, so we can figure out what percentage Apple will get in Q3 2008?

Of course, those numbers are from 2nd quarter 2008. One current estimate is saying that Symbian is now at 48%.

But look at this article. The numbers are different, and much worse for Nokia.

Big difference. I wonder which is correct.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...tphone-vendors
  • Reply 226 of 233
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Of course, those numbers are from 2nd quarter 2008. One current estimate is saying that Symbian is now at 48%.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...tphone-vendors

Now I'm really curious to see how Q3 shapes up.
  • Reply 227 of 233
    Symbian is going down.
  • Reply 228 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by captaincore View Post

Symbian is going down.

Only if going down means, will not dominate the market in the same way it has in the past. Symbian isn't going out of business anytime soon.
  • Reply 229 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I see the difference.

The chart in the Ars article is comparing the marketshare of manufacturers. The other chart I posted is measuring operating systems. So that Nokia holds 48% of the smartphone market while all Symbian phones have 57%.
  • Reply 230 of 233
    Quote:

Only if going down means, will not dominate the market in the same way it has in the past. Symbian isn't going out of business anytime soon.

yes that's what i meant
  • Reply 231 of 233
    Quote:

I see the difference.

The chart in the Ars article is comparing the marketshare of manufacturers. The other chart I posted is measuring operating systems. So that Nokia holds 48% of the smartphone market while all Symbian phones have 57%.

Yes, that's true.
  • Reply 232 of 233
    However the numbers read, Apple has garnered significant mind-share and justifiably so! Anyone I know that has an iPhone loves it, anyone I show it to thinks it's pretty cool. Phones have supposedly had email and internet for ages but the truth is they either just didn't work or were so clunky and unusable that no-one actually used them. It took Apple to make things, simple, easy, and cool such that the average Joe can see the benefit of the technology.

The real problem for Symbian and phone manufacturers is not just market share but the fact that it's forced them to raise their game and invest in R&D. So many companies get so lazy and just take consumers for granted as being clueless. It takes real entrepreneurial companies like Apple to put them in their place. Thank goodness.
  • Reply 233 of 233
    duplicate