Symbian reports slow growth in the wake of the iPhone 3G launch

Comments

• Reply 141 of 233
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here is a recent article with Nokia saying it's a tactile decision. While this might be a case of Nokia trying to remain prideful by saying that they meant to lose this money this quarter there is also a definite rationale for the long term behind the move. Long term Mac users should be familiar with the concept since Apple has spent many years choosing not to get into the budget computer market.

If Nokia lowered its prices now to shore up some profit from additional sales this quarter, they would have an even bigger fight the next quarter with a lower profit margin or having to use cheap products or construction. They could raise the prices again, but that just introduces more issues that can hurt a company.

Nokia's primary problem isn't the phone or even it's price. But it's software and development platform. Which are more difficult to change.
  • Reply 142 of 233
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I wasn't. Someone implied that Americans didn't like the pokey phones that Europe has. I said their love of large things was proof of that.

Europeans have no problem driving across Europe, proof of that is the number of Polish, Latvian, German registered cars you see in Ireland.

Also, the price of petrol is not all taxes here, only around 50% of it.

In some places, it's 75%.
  • Reply 143 of 233
    Quote:

What?

Simple. Lot's of buttone, several levels of menus, etc. no wonder people have to be shown how to use them. I've seen the manual for the N95, and it;s confusing. Sure, it's not going to be much of a problem for most of us here, but for the general public, it is.

Quote:

The problem being is, a lot of these 'non' smartphones support MMS

I'm convinced it's a dying technology. As better mail services take over, MMS will go away.

Quote:

No, the iPhone doesn't support it. It is not a contractual issue in a lot of countries

Keep up. Yes, it does.

We had, for a brief time, an app on the app store that was designed to enavble the iPhone to tether. It worked very well, and easily. It was taken down. Guess why?

You don't know what the contracts between Apple and the various providers around the world are, but we do know that it works just fine.

Because it doesn't worry some people that they don't have the latest and greatest of everything[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 144 of 233
    Quote:

Music may have been in the hands of the providers in the US, but not other places.

Really, which companies, and which countries?

And I don't mean the ones that saw they had to open up AFTER the iPhone with iTunes support came out, but before.
  • Reply 145 of 233
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Nokia's primary problem isn't the phone or even it's price. But it's software and development platform. Which are more difficult to change.

They are working on just that, too. I can't say how successful I think they will be but I was impressed that they publicly acknowledged this as a major issue. This year they have purchased Symbian outright, TrollTech and are working with Mozilla to get FF to Symbian.

PS: Mozilla needs Nokia more than Nokia need Mozilla. Nokia could do just fine with WebKit at the core of their browser. In fact they could do even better, at least in the short run. It's Mozilla that is late to the mobile web browser platform and needs desperately to get a foothold. With WebKit reigning as king right now and Opera popular on WinMo phones, they aren't going to be able to step in and make headway like they did with IE. They need to be on every Symbian smartphone, if not every Symbian phone.
  • Reply 146 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Is this the same report, or something new?

http://www.electronista.com/articles...share.outlook/

C.

No, that's a different one, but it's good, as it adds to the evidence.
  • Reply 147 of 233
    Quote:

It is just a word, shall I say they released a feature limited product internationally because AT&T didn't want tethering.

No phone anywhere can tether without the express consent of the carrier. It usually involves software that the carrier approves, plus a monthly fee, though I believe that Sprint (through desperation) allows my now not used Treo 700p to tether without a fee, if one already has the data service.
  • Reply 148 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

YOu can not disable what you never had my friend. That is why I contend that the iPhone is nothing more than an iPod with minimal telephony features.

That's absurd.
  • Reply 149 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here is a recent article with Nokia saying it's a tactile decision.

You mean like in rubber rather than smooth metal?

Quote:

While this might be a case of Nokia trying to remain prideful by saying that they meant to lose this money this quarter there is also a definite rationale for the long term behind the move. Long term Mac users should be familiar with the concept since Apple has spent many years choosing not to get into the budget computer market.

Nokia was not heavily challanged on its own turf for years, if ever, with competitors such as Apple and RIM.

Even though a few here like to pretend that the iPhone and Blackberry aren't good phones in comparison, sales will tell the story.

It doesn't matter that a few think that the more features, the better the device, it;s the customers, in large numbers that make that decision, not the few electronistas here.
  • Reply 150 of 233
    Quote:

YOu can not disable what you never had my friend. That is why I contend that the iPhone is nothing more than an iPod with minimal telephony features.

Certainly seems that Apple 'fanbois' have nothing on Nokia 'fanbois'
  • Reply 151 of 233
    Quote:

Great post.

It is as though people think Nokia will not produce another phone and just cede the market to Apple. In the future, Nokia will release some seriously competitive phones aimed squarely at the iPhone. Right now the phones Nokia is releasing are more in line with the markets before the iPhone was released. Nokia will respond.

Nokia was right not to dilute its brand by having a fire sale on its phones.

He didn't mention the part of where they did just that in Canada with Rogers.

Quote:

Nokia has also partly contradicted its claims of firm pricing in Canada, where the phone maker worked with Rogers to cut the N95 8GB's price in half to match that of the iPhone 3G. Apple's phone had launched just before the cut with nearly all of the same features.

As already posted by someone else:

• Reply 152 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You mean like in rubber rather than smooth metal?

A smarter spell checker would be great! I'm certainly not going to learn any new tricks at this point.
  • Reply 153 of 233
    Quote:

I wasn't aware of that.
  • Reply 154 of 233
    Quote:

No phone anywhere can tether without the express consent of the carrier. It usually involves software that the carrier approves, plus a monthly fee, though I believe that Sprint (through desperation) allows my now not used Treo 700p to tether without a fee, if one already has the data service.

You are talking ONLY about the US right? Outside of the US, I have not heard of any operator blocking the phone from being tethered. If you have a BT phone and BT on your computer you have a tether. No software involved. Windows supports it via DUN, while the ability it built into the Mac already.
  • Reply 155 of 233
    Quote:

Simple. Lot's of buttone, several levels of menus, etc. no wonder people have to be shown how to use them. I've seen the manual for the N95, and it;s confusing. Sure, it's not going to be much of a problem for most of us here, but for the general public, it is.

I'm convinced it's a dying technology. As better mail services take over, MMS will go away.

Keep up. Yes, it does.

We had, for a brief time, an app on the app store that was designed to enavble the iPhone to tether. It worked very well, and easily. It was taken down. Guess why?

You don't know what the contracts between Apple and the various providers around the world are, but we do know that it works just fine.

Because it doesn't worry some people that they don't have the latest and greatest of everything

[/QUOTE]

The problem with the iPhone is that Apple put in a crappy, less functional BT stack. It only supports Headset while every phone I have had for the last 5 or 6 years has supported a complete BT stack. So the problem resides at Apple and the way they implemented BT on the iPhone.
  • Reply 156 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I haven't seen much complaint about it. iPod sales have shown around 8GB is what most people use in portable devices.

What is there to continue. Others have said this is possible, but also notes that it can cause complication.

Just because Nokia provides the slot doesn't necessarily mean people will use them. As I said we will see what the market decides.

You just proved that you have very little experience. Nokia's phones come with the cards in the slots. The camera's usually default to saving the pictures and videos (iPhone-nope) on the card. People use them.
  • Reply 157 of 233
    Quote:

That's absurd.

We can go round and round on this. You can not convince me otherwise nor can I convince you, so we agree to disagree. To me, my opinion, as I see it, the iPhone is simply an iPod that can make calls.
  • Reply 158 of 233
    Quote:

Nokia was not heavily challanged on its own turf for years, if ever, with competitors such as Apple and RIM.

True. I am hopeful that Nokia will release the Tube and that it will be a competitor to the iPhone. If it does, my daughter just inherited an iPhone.

Quote:

Even though a few here like to pretend that the iPhone and Blackberry aren't good phones in comparison, sales will tell the story.

I think the iPhone is an okay device. As a piece of hardware, it is about 2 or 3 years behind, especially if you drop the UI. 3G was a nice touch to "modernize" the iPhone but it still lacks even some of the more basic features that mid-priced phones are packing. Don't know to much about RIM so I can not comment on it.

Quote:

It doesn't matter that a few think that the more features, the better the device, it;s the customers, in large numbers that make that decision, not the few electronistas here.

I do not necessarily need a million features to make me happy but the basic ones are required. OBEX, A2DP, a real BT stack, the ability to install what I want. These are what make a great phone for me. Not a promise to have more and more apps possibly available.
  • Reply 159 of 233
    Quote:

As already posted by someone else:

Why just this market? This is only one market. I would be willing to see what they do globally.
  • Reply 160 of 233
    Quote:

You are talking ONLY about the US right? Outside of the US, I have not heard of any operator blocking the phone from being tethered. If you have a BT phone and BT on your computer you have a tether. No software involved. Windows supports it via DUN, while the ability it built into the Mac already.

You have not HEARD?

Since we know it can easily be done, what would the advantage to Apple be for not allowing it?

They would sell more phones, there would be more iPhone data usage.

There would be nothing I can think of that would be a detriment.

Are you privy to the contracts Apple has signed with these carriers?