Symbian reports slow growth in the wake of the iPhone 3G launch

Comments

• Reply 101 of 233
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,580member
    [QUOTE=aegisdesign;1302591]Or 16% according to Gartner.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...to_slow_1.html[/uote]

In almost everything, Gartner's numbers always seem to be low.

Quote:

Nokia haven't had a new smartphone out in almost a year now. The N96 is just launching now.

I know, we've said that. They question is why. I think they've had projects going, as all manufacturers have, and ditched them after the iPhone came out.

Quote:

I think there's many reasons peculiar to the US market that meant Nokia didn't sell phones there, not entirely of their own making. Your carriers are luddites in general for example and you had this strange affliction called flip phones.

That's partly true, but the phones are also tikitacky.

Quote:

I don't think so. Apple are taking market share away from non-smartphones, not from smartphone manufacturers. Other manufacturers are taking share away from non-smartphones too. It's not just the simple smartphones that are gaining from the more feature rich smartphones.

I don't agree with that at all, and you would have to provide some really good evidence for that. ALL smartphones are taking sales away from non-smartphones, and that will only increase. But Apple's phone is also taking sales away from other smartphones, or at least impeding their growth, which is another way of saying it.

Win Mobile was supposed to sell over 20 million licenses last 12 months, they barely made 18 million. Partly due to RIM, and partly due to Apple. I would imagine RIM took most of the business sales, and Apple the consumer sales. Nokia's smartphone marketshare is still dropping. It's at 45 to 48% depending on where you read the numbers.

Quote:

Plus I think it's a matter of perception. In the USA you've had really fucking stupidly complicated smartphones from Palm, WinMo and Blackberry as a whole. I don't find Nokias or SEs as complicated as those. You have to remember that Symbian accounts for over half the smartphone sales worldwide and probably 70% here even if they're like 5% in the USA.

While a Windows product is a Windows product, even when its totally different, I totally disagree about Palms product. Having owned a Palm OS series of smartphones for a number of years, I can say that they are anything but complicated. That was their beauty. Certainly less complicated to use than the Symbian phones I've seen in friends possession. I don't find RIM's phones to be complex either. Fairly simple actually.

Quote:

I don't think so there either. The N96 has been leaked for almost a year now and is just coming out. They demod a touch screen phone about a year ago too.

Back to my earlier comments.

Quote:

It'll take them a year to 18 months to open source Symbian.

You might say that's the last gasp of desperation but I think it's more that they're confident they have the time.

They need to update their toolchain for developers and I wonder what they'll do with QT and Trolltech.

This would all be easier, and more timely if they just kept it themselves. But their moves show that they are concerned for it's continued validity. Otherwise there was no reason for them to do this at all.

Quote:

You couldn't be further wrong. I really can't stand the N95 or Nokia's Symbian S60 interface. It's a very poor relative to UIQ.

You were praising it up to the hilt previously, what's changed?

Quote:

In one word it sums up blind faith and the iPhone's perceived role as the messiah, saving the world from cruddy smartphones. I think it's apt.

Again, that's also a silly word. You're just trying to depreciate the device by using a deriding word. It dosn't add to the discourse, and just makes it seem that you have some other overriding reason to dislike it that isn't based in logic. Since I 'm sure that isn't so, why bother?

It certainly is different, and as practically everyone in the industry who doesn't have some economic reason for denying it has agreed that it is a game changer, where are you having problems?

The original Palmphone was also a game changer in its day, just like the first Mac.

Sometimes it takes a while before it filters out, but I believe that smartphones will look quite different from what they've been, in a few years.

Quote:

I agree though they sometimes have a very USA-centric idea of what people want - eg. no MMS, shit camera and no Bluetooth transfer or tethering.

MMS will be going down the old chute before too long. Don't be surprised when it happens. These old technologies often disappear when newer ones supersede them, which will happen, like it or not.

And I really don't get your facination with phone cameras. I just bought my daughter a Canon ELPH 1100, which takes better pictures than any phone camera will. It's also pretty small, and has a good number of features.

Phone cameras are fine for quick pics to send here and there. I would hate to use it for a vacation, no matter which phone it was.

Bluetooth transfer would be nice, but it's not a big deal, though I would like stereo headphones (though I don't use digital players)

Tethering is a contractual situation, as as we've seen, can be done very easily, if the carrier will allow it.

Quote:

Taking the analogy further, with the iPhone you get past the pretty face, find the insides great too but discover someone's installed a chastity belt.

My experience with the iPhone is I get most of the way there on what I'm trying to do only to find it's missing a feature. This is normal for Apple software though. It's like iPhoto v2 currently. It wasn't till v4 that I really felt that it'd do what I wanted. I'm sure they'll get there but at the moment I'm sticking with more mature feature rich phones even if the underlying OS is a bit creaky. Back to the analogy, cheerleaders are great but old prostitutes do more for your money. You might feel dirty about it later.

It's still fairly new. Better to get the major attributes correct than to lay on features most people don't use, and mess up the important things.

Quote:

They all are, it's just the phone manufacturers move on to new models and in reality so do the users. Who keeps a phone for more than their contract length when you get a free upgrade at the end of it?

No they don't. Needing a new phone to upgrade the OS is one area in which they get you. It's interesting that the old iPhones are selling so well in a secondary market. That's because it's upgradable to the new OS, programs, etc. Who wants an old phone with an old OS?

Quote:

And I'd have liked to have seen them. Seemed silly posting old graphs.

Maybe they aren't out yet.

Quote:

It certainly is looking meteoric. I think it's fantastic as it has stirred up the market. I do hope we don't get lots of iPhone clones though.

They won't be clones because they will just LOOK like an iPhone, like the Sprint Instinct.

Quote:

I was complaining about the uncalled for Symbian gloom really.

Time will tell just how gloomy it should be.
  • Reply 102 of 233
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Welcome to the Nokia Store and 9,834 applications...

http://www.download.nokia.com/

SELECT : Country

SELECT : Operator

SELECT : Device

How many apps left now?
  • Reply 103 of 233
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

In almost everything, Gartner's numbers always seem to be low.

Some more smart phone stats from another source.

"64 million smart phones shipped worldwide in 2006"

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2007/r2007024.htm

"Smart mobile device shipments hit 118 million in 2007, up 53% on 2006"

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2008/r2008021.htm

"Almost 40% of smart phones shipping in EMEA have GPS integrated"

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2008/r2008082.htm

(Smart phone growth rate from that page. 28%. Piot)
  • Reply 104 of 233
    Quote:

Welcome to the Nokia Store and 9,834 applications...

http://www.download.nokia.com/

Hmm... you make it sound a lot easier than Nokia does.

I clicked on something and this lot popped up....

-----------------------------------

What is Nokia Download Store?

Nokia Download Store is a Web shop for trying and buying content for your Nokia device. From Nokia Download Store you can find, preview and buy a wide variety of content, applications and services from a range of different providers. Previewing and downloading applications doesn't cost you anything, but if you want to buy something, you may have to pay for that item.What are the supported handsets?Currently we are supporting the following Nokia handsets: N73, N76, N77, N80, N81, N82, N81_8GB, N93, N93i, N95, N95 8GB, 6110 Navigator, 6120 Classic, E51, E61i, E65, E90.

How do I download applications and what does it cost?

You can download applications to your PC by clicking the 'Accept and continue download' button next to the application you want to download. You will need to accept a disclaimer that is associated with the application in order to proceed with the download. The application will be downloaded on to your PC. No data is downloaded over the phone's data connection and no charges are put on your phone bill. Regular ISP (Internet Service Provider) costs will apply.

How do I install applications?

The applications you download are provided as .SIS (Symbian Application Installer) files. You can install applications using Nokia PC Suite Application Installer. The installation process is as follows.

Connect your phone to your PC using Bluetooth, USB, or infrared.

Download the application by clicking 'Download' next to the application and then accepting the disclaimer by clicking 'Accept and continue download'.

When prompted to open or save the file, you can choose 'open' to automatically start the installation process.

The installation process will start, and the Nokia Application Installer will prompt you if you want to install the application on the phone. Choose 'Yes', and the installation will start. You will need to complete the installation on the phone UI.

For further instructions, please refer to http://www.nokia.com/pcsuite

Do the applications cost me anything?

How do I pay for the applications?

The applications may come with a charge. If so, the price of the application is marked as 'Try for free'. We use Openbit License Key Manager for handling payment. It is a secure end-to-end solution that works from the phone application.Is my country / operator / phone supported?If you cannot find your country / operator or phone in the selection drop down lists, then it is not supported. We will be expanding the Download Store continuously, so please check back soon.

What are the supported browsers?

Currently we support the following browsers: Internet Explorer 6 and 7 and Firefox 2. This means that we have tested the service on these browsers. The service may work on other browsers too, so you can give it a try.

Do I need to enable Javascript / Flash to use the site?The service requires that you enable JavaScript. Flash is not required, but recommended.

How do I install applications if I'm using Firefox via Mac?

You can download S60 applications for your Nokia device using your Mac, then transfer then to your Nokia device with Nokia Multimedia Transfer. The installation files for S60 applications are downloaded as an SIS file format. S60 SIS installation files can be transferred in the same manner as other files with Nokia Multimedia Transfer's device browser. See the How to section for file transfer with the device browser for instructions.

------------------------------------------------

I think they have some catching-up to do.

As someone interested in developing games for mobile, I honestly can't see *any possibility* of making money on Symbian.

The combination of a nasty looking development environment, a divided platform with hundreds of device types and a confusing barrier to software purchases leads to one conclusion: Don't step off the train on this platform.

I have no statistical proof whatsoever, but guess is that SuperMonkeyBall made more money on its first day than the best selling Symbian App of all time.

C.
  • Reply 105 of 233
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Hmm... you make it sound a lot easier than Nokia.

I clicked on something and this lot popped up....

[...]

I think they have some catching up to do.

They do, but it shouldn't be that tough to get the basics down. Instead of having you choose your country, operator and device to get a list of applicable software they can have the Nokia App Store on the phone automatically tell the DB what that info is so you'll only see the apps that work for your phone in your country and on your operator.

Since Nokia has bought Symbian the App Store program seems to be obvious. The hard part will be the logistics and the developers end of things. Does a rating for an app carry over between devices, and operators and countries? I hope they get a store and FF up and running soon, but I'm thinking that it'll be closer to a year before any of this happens for any of their devices.
  • Reply 106 of 233
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I will agree with your last statement 10000%. I still think that features unexplained are features viewed as not needed. I showed a co-worker that they could have Skype on their N78 but not on their iPhone and they say the ability to have VoIP via 3G or WiFI as a valuable feature that they did not know about. While Symbian may be clunky, I see it as being in the position to expand now that it has gone Open Source and Nokia will have controlling authority.

My question is, as unlimited data plans are generally no problem overseas, I do not see why Apple did not look regional and allow things that other phones are allowed to do. I think this is short sighted on their part and very provincial in their planning

Nokia is taking VoIP out of their new N-series phones.

http://gigaom.com/2008/08/23/no-voip...-back-on-voip/

I think that you are using the word "generally" too loosely. Look at the iphone data plans around the world --- most of them are all 250 MB, 500 MB and 1 GB. Not many iphone data plans have 5 GB (AT&T) or 6 GB (Canada's Rogers).
  • Reply 107 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Hmm... you make it sound a lot easier than Nokia does.

Hint: try it from a Nokia phone.
  • Reply 108 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Nokia is taking VoIP out of their new N-series phones.

http://gigaom.com/2008/08/23/no-voip...-back-on-voip/

I think that you are using the word "generally" too loosely. Look at the iphone data plans around the world --- most of them are all 250 MB, 500 MB and 1 GB. Not many iphone data plans have 5 GB (AT&T) or 6 GB (Canada's Rogers).

I think you missed this:

http://conversations.nokia.com/home/...port-of-t.html
  • Reply 109 of 233
    Quote:

Nice one.

While the installation process is different on Nokia phones as opposes to the iPhone. I have no problems with picking an app, sending it via BT (can you do this with the iPhone? Hmmm.....) to the phone and then clicking on it to install. The install process even asks where you want to install it. The iPhone doesn't have this option.
  • Reply 110 of 233
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

There should be some clear and simple explination of how it works on a Nokia phone. Most people aren't going to go through pages of documents to figure it out.
  • Reply 111 of 233
    Quote:

Nice one.

While the installation process is different on Nokia phones as opposes to the iPhone. I have no problems with picking an app, sending it via BT (can you do this with the iPhone? Hmmm.....) to the phone and then clicking on it to install. The install process even asks where you want to install it. The iPhone doesn't have this option.

Why do you need to load an app through BT. When it loads over the data network?

Why do you need multiple options of where to keep an app on the phone? You don't get this option on the Mac. All apps are kept in the apps folder.
  • Reply 112 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Why do you need to load an app through BT. When it loads over the data network?

Why do you need multiple options of where to keep an app on the phone? You don't get this option on the Mac. All apps are kept in the apps folder.

I know you are in a hurry to defend and cheerlead. No problem there but you need to rethink this.

I send the app that I purchased on my computer to the phone via BT. I can pick to install it on the phone's memory or to a memory card. The N82 has an SDHC micro slot.

As for not getting the option to install in different locations on the Mac, I will let you rethink that before I respond because your statement is so obviously false that maybe you started hitting keys without really concentrating.
  • Reply 113 of 233
    Quote:

There should be some clear and simple explination of how it works on a Nokia phone. Most people aren't going to go through pages of documents to figure it out.

The install instructions are click. You have to do one massive "click" and the installer processor begins installing. It asks where would you like to install the app. Mem card or phone memory. Some apps must be installed to the phone mem but for the most part about 95% can be installed anywhere on the phone.

This is hand when there is a f/w upgrade and the original OS is changed. The apps are on the mem card and are installed immediately once the phone reboots after the f/w upgrade.
  • Reply 114 of 233
    Quote:

I know you are in a hurry to defend and cheerlead. No problem there but you need to rethink this.

I send the app that I purchased on my computer to the phone via BT. I can pick to install it on the phone's memory or to a memory card. The N82 has an SDHC micro slot.

All you describe is the ability. You give no reason for it's necesity.

Quote:

As for not getting the option to install in different locations on the Mac, I will let you rethink that before I respond because your statement is so obviously false that maybe you started hitting keys without really concentrating.

OS X is designed to run apps from the app folder, and appropriate app plug-ins from their appropriate library folder. It is indeed possible to move files around From what I understand you risk the software not behaving the way it's designed. Is their something you know differently?
  • Reply 115 of 233
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

All you describe is the ability. You give no reason for it's necesity.

OS X is designed to run apps from the app folder, and appropriate app plug-ins from their appropriate library folder. It is indeed possible to move files around From what I understand you risk the software not behaving the way it's designed. Is their something you know differently?

The iPhone has only one storage area so the point is moot. Since most other higher-end phones now are offering substantial internal storage and a SDHC slot it does make sense that the program asks you where you wish to store the app.

I will usually run untested, new apps from the DMG. If I decide to keep them I tehn put them into a /Application/3rd Party Apps if they aren't ones from Apple. In there they sit unless they fall into other specific categories that put them into another folder, like /iPhone, /Browsers, or /Utilities, etc. I would over 250 items in my /Applications if I kept them all together and sometimes I do forget the name but never whether it is made by Apple or what purpose it is for.

There are very few apps that won't work right in /Applications or don't give you an option to change the install location. Adobe and MS are the only two I have in the root of /Appications right now.
  • Reply 116 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The iPhone has only one storage area so the point is moot. Since most other higher-end phones now are offering substantial internal storage and a SDHC slot it does make sense that the program asks you where you wish to store the app.

I will usually run untested, new apps from the DMG. If I decide to keep them I tehn put them into a /Application/3rd Party Apps if they aren't ones from Apple. In there they sit unless they fall into other specific categories that put them into another folder, like /iPhone, /Browsers, or /Utilities, etc. I would over 250 items in my /Applications if I kept them all together and sometimes I do forget the name but never whether it is made by Apple or what purpose it is for.

There are very few apps that won't work right in /Applications or don't give you an option to change the install location. Adobe and MS are the only two I have in the root of /Appications right now.

Thank you solipsism.

I have 3 partitions on my MBR. One for System (self explanatory), one for Apps and Data, one for iTunes lib and Aperture lib.

I create symbolic links back to System.

The Apple apps stay in the root while everything else resides where I want to put them. Even MS and Adobe are in other partitions. I have not had one app that refuses to run or runs unstable. The only problem that I get is if there is an upgrade that looks for the app in a certain place. Apple apps come to mind. I simply move them back to the root, upgrade, then put them back where they were and delete the previous moved file.
  • Reply 117 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yes I know others phones have other means of storage. But Sappor posted as though this is some advantage that the iPhone is missing. I'm asking what necessity or advantage does the iPhone miss.

Quote:

I've seen some people accidentally run apps from DMG because they did not properly install. But I don't know anyone who runs apps outside of the application root.

I read somewhere that suggested that you shouldn't.
  • Reply 118 of 233
    Quote:

Yes I know others phones have other means of storage. But Sappor posted as though this is some advantage that the iPhone is missing. I'm asking what necessity or advantage does the iPhone miss.

I just posted the advantage. If I do a software upgrade, and have my apps on the memory card, the moment the upgrade is complete and restarted, the apps appear. No need to reinstall them as they are already installed.

Quote:

I've seen some people accidentally run apps from DMG because they did not properly install. But I don't know anyone who runs apps outside of the application root.

I read somewhere that suggested that you shouldn't.

Then you might not know any that has their hd partitioned this is one great advantage of Mac OS. I NEVER do upgrades of OS's. I tend to do fresh installs. When Leopard came out, I simply formatted my Systems partition via installing Leopard. The apps and my iTunes lib were already on different partitions and waiting for me to click them to run them. How long have you been using Mac's or computers in general. This is basic stuff that many Mac users I know have been doing.
  • Reply 119 of 233
    Quote:

Then you might not know any that has their hd partitioned this is one great advantage of Mac OS. I NEVER do upgrades of OS's. I tend to do fresh installs. When Leopard came out, I simply formatted my Systems partition via installing Leopard. The apps and my iTunes lib were already on different partitions and waiting for me to click them to run them. How long have you been using Mac's or computers in general. This is basic stuff that many Mac users I know have been doing.

Ok I got you. No I didn't know about that. I guess I'm not into partitioning my HD and spreading apps around. I think the advantage of the Mac is not needing to worry about all of that.

I see you had to get a last dig in at the end didn't you.
  • Reply 120 of 233
    Quote:

Ok I got you. No I didn't know about that. I guess I'm not into partitioning my HD and spreading apps around. I think the advantage of the Mac is not needing to worry about all of that.

I see you had to get a last dig in at the end didn't you.

Check this out.

http://www.coriolis-systems.com/

As for the dig, I meant it in all seriousness. I did not know these things until someone who had been a long time Mac user pointed them out. Believe me, you will know if I am taking a shot at you. Besides, you are one of the few that I do not mind discussing with here.