Apple releases iPhone Software v2.1

Comments

• Reply 241 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Not at all we here on this side of the pond just don't run with the up skirt crowd and other pervs. For the most part that is the demgraphic that MMS appeals that and the drunken crowd.

The other issue is that and SMS cost money, money better spent else where. Especially when you have better alternatives.

Dave

What a ridiculous comment. My 61 year old mother and 68 year old father both regularly MMS family and friends from their travels and in day to day life. Are they part of the 'up skirt crowd'? Just because you dont use it doesnt mean it isnt worth using.

Theres a snobbishness about MMS. i think people see it as beneath them an not worthy of their fantastic iPhone. iPhone is for everybody.
  • Reply 242 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

MMS is not big in the UK, it is used but compared to SMS it is tiny.

In May 2008 the UK sent :-

6.8 Billion SMS and only 46 Million MMS.

Thats a silly comparison though really. Of course people arent going to use MMS on a daily basis in the way the do SMS, just like people dont attach files to every email they send.

Id call 46 million MMS send in the UK a good reason to have an MMS facility.
  • Reply 243 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john_howells View Post

Thats really interesting, in the UK it is HUGE and literally everyone uses it

Not me. Across previous phones that I've had that were MMS capable I must have used it about three or four times in total. My GF's phone (a cheap Nokia, no camera) doesn't support it either.

One time when I tried it completely failed to work, but (so the intended recipient told me) kept failing to send to his phone.

In the early days I think the UK networks were bundling in a small allowance of MMS messages to get their customers to use it (in the hope that they'd use it more, like SMS, and it would make them more money.) But the cost they charge per message, compared to the actual amount of data required to send a picture, is such a rip-off.

So, sure, it could be a nice 'tick-box' feature to have on the phone (and it would mean the whiners need to find something else to complain about), but it's really no huge loss. I don't miss push-WAP messages either - they just seem to be used by phone spam fraudsters.

What I would really like is the ability to highlight/select text in an email, reply, and only get that included text though! (Or, to be able to select text and delete it in one go.) I dislike having to include the entire previous text of an email when I reply.
  • Reply 244 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrg_uk View Post

So, sure, it could be a nice 'tick-box' feature to have on the phone

I agree. It would be a nice feature to have, but even without out the iPhone is still the best phone Ive ever had.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrg_uk View Post

What I would really like is the ability to highlight/select text in an email, reply, and only get that included text though! (Or, to be able to select text and delete it in one go.) I dislike having to include the entire previous text of an email when I reply.

In terms of email Id like to be able to create one from scratch and then attach a picture. Is it me, or is this still not possible?
  • Reply 245 of 314
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    It is astounding that attitude that some people take toward MMS...

Some feel that simply because they don't use it, it must not be very popular. Others are waging a dogmatic and political smear campaign because they feel the business model is unjust. Then there is the crowd that offers up hopelessly cumbersome workarounds. Finally there are the theoretical arguments which take the long term view, wanting to replace MMS with something better.

None of that addresses the fact that MMS is the most convenient and popular way to send pictures to other phones. While apple may eventually replace it with something just as easy to use and superior in other ways as well, that doesn't help in the here and now. It doesn't help people who actually want to send and receive pictures to their friends and coworkers... today.

Please don't reply by suggesting workarounds involving email and gateways and etc... While I have degrees in CS and manage server rooms, none of the people I'm communicating with have those credentials. Their expertise is elsewhere. If I were to send any of them a MMS, they'd receive and view it with no training or difficulty. It is unfortunate that is impossible without wasting a bunch of time. If I were to email a picture, they wouldn't see it until later in the day or even later in the week. If they were to send me an MMS, i'd have to use a pencil and paper to view it.

Lack of MMS is a huge shortcoming. It may pay off in the long run if apple succeeds in switching the industry over to something better. That is a quite debatable subject. But what can't be argued is that the lack of this functionality is preventing iPhone users from joining the rest of mobile phone users in conveniently sharing pictures with each other. This isn't a theoretical assertion. It is the way things are today, not tomorrow, but today. iPhone users are not sending pictures to other phones. iPhone users aren't jumping through the hoops to receive pictures from other phones.

I still love my iPhone. But let's be honest about this shortcoming.
  • Reply 246 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Please don't reply by suggesting workarounds involving email and gateways and etc... While I have degrees in CS and manage server rooms, none of the people I'm communicating with have those credentials. Their expertise is elsewhere. If I were to send any of them a MMS, they'd receive and view it with no training or difficulty. It is unfortunate that is impossible without wasting a bunch of time. If I were to email a picture, they wouldn't see it until later in the day or even later in the week. If they were to send me an MMS, i'd have to use a pencil and paper to view it.

Lack of MMS is a huge shortcoming. It may pay off in the long run if apple succeeds in switching the industry over to something better. That is a quite debatable subject. But what can't be argued is that the lack of this functionality is preventing iPhone users from joining the rest of mobile phone users in conveniently sharing pictures with each other. This isn't a theoretical assertion. It is the way things are today, not tomorrow, but today. iPhone users are not sending pictures to other phones. iPhone users aren't jumping through the hoops to receive pictures from other phones.

Brilliant post. Fair and accurate. Its what I wanted to say but wasnt eloquent enough to manage.
  • Reply 247 of 314
    Quote:

Some feel that simply because they don't use it, it must not be very popular. Others are waging a dogmatic and political smear campaign because they feel the business model is unjust. Then there is the crowd that offers up hopelessly cumbersome workarounds. Finally there are the theoretical arguments which take the long term view, wanting to replace MMS with something better.

None of that addresses the fact that MMS is the most convenient and popular way to send pictures to other phones. While apple may eventually replace it with something just as easy to use and superior in other ways as well, that doesn't help in the here and now. It doesn't help people who actually want to send and receive pictures to their friends and coworkers... today.

HERE HERE!!

It really bugs me how apple devotes defend FLAWS in apple products. Thats not how we evolve and improve people... Nothing is perfect, but we have to try to get it perfect. Defending a products obvious shortcomings isn't helping anyone
  • Reply 248 of 314
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iandean1980 View Post

Get over yourself or Perish like snapper boy!

Get over myself? It's not my fault many of your posts had the wrong context.
  • Reply 249 of 314
    Did anyone notice how Apple actually bothers to describe several of the things they fixed in this update? Much better than "general bug fixes".
  • Reply 250 of 314
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Did anyone notice how Apple actually bothers to describe several of the things they fixed in this update? Much better than "general bug fixes".

Yeah, this is better.
  • Reply 251 of 314
    Quote:

Get over myself? It's not my fault many of your posts had the wrong context.

Admittedly... But still get over yourself.

Its quite frustrating getting HEADMASTER like comments from anyone... It's been quite a while since I was at school. I mean I dont know what you do, and you may indeed be special. But in here your anybody, so I will never answer to you or anyone else moaning about the misplacement of content several people seem to find useful. Its hardly like I was advertising designs of a bomb.
  • Reply 252 of 314
    Quote:

I wasnt aware of that.. Thanks.

This was posted however specifically for a windows user. And before people complain, windows people use iPhones too. And mac's aren't perfect, there are some benefits of having windows, don't be so naive. I just prefer to deal with apples faults, than windows.

you need the latest Garageband though. My Santa Rosa MBP came with GarageBand but doesn't have the "Send as Ringtone" feature.
  • Reply 253 of 314
    Quote:

Totally agree and whatever anyone says in terms of statistics I have to agree it is a shortcoming! Not really sure why they didnt but I do really think Apple should have upgraded the camera too though (although maybe why this is why MMS is not included??). I guess as much as I say MMS would be nice (and it would) what would be NICER is a camera that actually has an autofocus system and flash which would increase me using it to send photos AND to have MMS! Interesting to see that BlackBerry are increasing the camera to 3.2mp and adding Auto Focus to the Curve replacement. Would just be nice to have MMS in this update!

I work for a camera manufacturer so before anyone says "you need to learn how to take photos, mine are great"...yes I know, in certain circumstances outside with lots of light its OK but try and take a picture inside or somewhere remotely dark and it's a nightmare!

I guess we can't have it all and don't get me wrong I have had LOADS of phones and none are perfect, just would be nice to have all the iPhone 3G is now with a decent camera (3.2MP/5MP, AF and Flash), MMS capability, Bluetooth for something other than Audio and also COPY AND PASTE!

Guess some things Apple want to focus on and others they dont and the next gen iPhone may address some of these things but as has been commented many times before the iPhone is percieved as THE phone to have and whilst I wouldnt go back to any of my other phones and love it to bits, its suprising some of these things that certainly I took for granted are missing!
  • Reply 254 of 314
    I saw some people talking about ringtones and how you can make your own by renaming or something. Could someone let me know how you done that?

Thanks
  • Reply 255 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

I saw some people talking about ringtones and how you can make your own by renaming or something. Could someone let me know how you done that?

Thanks

I'm very sorry but JeffDM tells me I'm not allowed to tell you this...
  • Reply 256 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Thanks

bavlondon you have a PM!

Quote:

I'm very sorry but JeffDM tells me I'm not allowed to tell you this...

LOL
  • Reply 257 of 314
    Quote:

Admittedly... But still get over yourself.

Its quite frustrating getting HEADMASTER like comments from anyone... It's been quite a while since I was at school. I mean I dont know what you do, and you may indeed be special. But in here your anybody, so I will never answer to you or anyone else moaning about the misplacement of content several people seem to find useful. Its hardly like I was advertising designs of a bomb.

I really don't get this, you've completely misread me. I know you were helping people, but some bits looked to me that you were pulling people's chains. I certainly never said couldn't help people. I was only pointing out that you quoted someone asking about Bluetooth and you reply to that post a tutorial about how to unhide extensions. You don't see how that's confusing? I think it's a bit much to get angry about someone pointing that out.
  • Reply 258 of 314
    Quote:

I really don't get this, you've completely misread me. I know you were helping people, but some bits looked to me that you were pulling people's chains. I certainly never said couldn't help people. I was only pointing out that you quoted someone asking about Bluetooth and you reply to that post a tutorial about how to unhide extensions. You don't see how that's confusing?

Oh now i feel sheepish. Apologies.

But a little more tact in future would be better. An ORDER for a simple mistake is a tiny bit rude.
  • Reply 259 of 314
    Quote:

Oh now i feel sheepish. Apologies.

But a little more tact in future would be better. An ORDER for a simple mistake is a tiny bit rude.

I'm sorry you read it that way, but it was a suggestion, not an order. "should" is not a "must".
  • Reply 260 of 314
    Quote:

I'm sorry you read it that way, but it was a suggestion. "should" is not a "must".

Arrhhh.. thats why. The word should. Quite a useless word, that I've never really liked. People should do this, people should do that. But should doesnt matter.. Because people WILL do what they want. It's almost like the word can't.

And yes i "should" have posted to the correct reply. But i think it's fairly obvious it was a mistake. So as I say.. Should doesnt matter, as the same mistake could happen in future, no matter what I "should" do.

Should is such a Box word. I like to think out the box, which makes me slightly scatty.