Apple releases iPhone Software v2.1

Comments

• Reply 201 of 314
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Installed on my 867mHz 12" powerbook with Leopard. It is not teh snappy. It is teh crappy.

Time for a new MacBook Pro. When do the new ones come out?
  • Reply 202 of 314
    i'm in the wrong thread:-)
  • Reply 203 of 314
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by russco View Post

Each update, I hope and pray that youtube will be fixed!! no. If i switch wifi off youtube flies...I know youtube is sending a reduced size but hey...wifi should be usable.

Anyone else have this issue?

I haven't noticed YouTube slower on WiFi. It also depends on your WiFi signal and data speed.
  • Reply 204 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iandean1980 View Post

You can make them easy enough on the PC. Below is how. Garage band doesn't actually take and shorten MP3's so unless your writing your own song.. it would be useless to you.

1. Choose the song you want to make a ringtone. (it will need to be DRM free).

2. Now you need to shorten this song to less that 40 seconds. It will recognize it in iTunes if not, but will not allow you to sync it to your phone. Trust me i just tried. You can find all sorts of bits of software out there for the PC that can do this.

3. Save it it.

4. It needs to be in apples .acc format (also known as .m4a). If its an MP3 you can convert this in iTunes. In iTunes 8 its easier, just select the file, go the the advanced menu and click create ACC version.

5. Locate that file in your music folder.

6. Change the extension that it has (either .acc or m4a) to m4r

M4A = Audio

M4V = Video

M4R = RIngtone

7. Drag it into itunes and it'll suck it up

Done

This works great! Is there a way to make this work for custom text message sounds?
  • Reply 205 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitro View Post

thank you...i wish my internet speed was fast enough to attempt the download at this time.\

Yeah, I know, but it may help if you knowwhy the "update" is so large. So many people seem to miss the fact that on the iPhone, you replace the entire system each time you perform an "update". So basically you are installing a completely new system with whatever changes they made already included.

The good news? Perhaps fewer update mishaps due to incomplete or corrupted file installs.

The bad news? Each update is a complete operating system install, so it will pretty much suck if you are on dial-up.
  • Reply 206 of 314
    eom
  • Reply 207 of 314
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdhaag View Post

The Caps Lock feature seems to have disappeared.

I didn't even know it was available, except for this thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

has anyone noticed interference when using their iphone with 2.1 as a phone? i'm getting loud interference which seems to be occurring when the unit is receiving email while i'm on the iphone...

does anyone else use their iphone as a phone?

As far as I know, all GSM phones cause some level of interference with audio devices. I hear it very often with my iPhone. Doing it during email (or other data app) is new to me.

Quote:

Try this

1. Open a folder or open explorer

2. Click the Layout button (to the left of the Views button) as shown in the picture below

3. Click Folder Options

4. Click the View tab

5. Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types

6. Click OK

You should reply to the proper post rather than quoting an unrelated post. At first, I didn't understand what you were up to when you were quoting someone talking about bluetooth audio.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's interesting that Apple isn't supporting an expensive, poor quality way to send images, in favour of a more robust, free method. Just imagine the backlash if Apple were pushing a feature that cost you money over a free one.

Is email really more robust?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I would say the carriers have made a concerted effort to push usage of SMS/MMS by making it easier to use. Because they can monetize SMS/MMS, cannot monetize email/IM.

I really don't see how they couldn't monetize email / IM. Maybe it is easier for them to do so with SMS, but I don't think a multibillion dollar company couldn't figure out how to charge per message for those systems if they wanted to. I think in the end, the business plan is to push people into paying for to data plans rather than charge per email/IM.
  • Reply 208 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is email really more robust?

I believe MMS resolution is 174x136. With email you can send multiple images of any size, type and quality you want. You can also send robust text with the images and even include attachments.

Quote:

I really don't see how they couldn't monetize email / IM. Maybe it is easier for them to do so with SMS, but I don't think a multibillion dollar company couldn't figure out how to charge per message for those systems if they wanted to.

What I don't understand is why this isn't a currently a jailbroken app or App Store app. A 3rd-party could make a lot of money managing an SMS/MMS server that undercuts the current AT&T SMS fees and offers decent MMS rates. Is Apple preventing an MMS from popping up?
  • Reply 209 of 314
    Quote:

You can make them easy enough on the PC. Below is how. Garage band doesn't actually take and shorten MP3's so unless your writing your own song.. it would be useless to you.

2. Now you need to shorten this song to less that 40 seconds. It will recognize it in iTunes if not, but will not allow you to sync it to your phone. Trust me i just tried. You can find all sorts of bits of software out there for the PC that can do this.

3. Save it it.

4. It needs to be in apples .acc format (also known as .m4a). If its an MP3 you can convert this in iTunes. In iTunes 8 its easier, just select the file, go the the advanced menu and click create ACC version.

M4A = Audio

M4V = Video

M4R = RIngtone

Done

I make heaps of ringtones from my music with garageband. Don't post unless you google it first.
  • Reply 210 of 314
    Quote:

I believe MMS resolution is 174x136. With email you can send multiple images of any size, type and quality you want. You can also send robust text with the images and even include attachments.

What does resolution have to do with robustness? To me, when I see "robust", I think reliability, not beauty.
  • Reply 211 of 314
    Quote:

What does resolution have to do with robustness? To me, when I see "robust", I think reliability, not beauty.

Robust isn't the best choice of words. Versatile is much better. MMS is just too limited. As for reliability, I've had more issues with SMS not showing up right away than I have with emails, but reports hear go the other way.
  • Reply 212 of 314
    Quote:

Robust isn't the best choice of words. Versatile is much better. MMS is just too limited. As for reliability, I've had more issues with SMS not showing up right away than I have with emails, but reports hear go the other way.

That makes more sense. I really don't care so much about SMS/MMS, just that adjective didn't make sense.
  • Reply 213 of 314
    Quote:

That makes more sense. I really don't care so much about SMS/MMS, just that adjective didn't make sense.

Definitely the wrong word. I'm a little under the weather right now so hopefully you'll give me a pass.
  • Reply 214 of 314
    Quote:

I really don't see how they couldn't monetize email / IM. Maybe it is easier for them to do so with SMS, but I don't think a multibillion dollar company couldn't figure out how to charge per message for those systems if they wanted to. I think in the end, the business plan is to push people into paying for to data plans rather than charge per email/IM.

I suppose you are right. But email is far less in their control than SMS. I imagine it was just easier to work with SMS/MMS since its built right into GSM. My point over all is they monetized and locked us into a system to slowly bleed us for extra revenue.

Quote:

I took robust to mean email has more positive attributes.
  • Reply 215 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leland9 View Post

OK, I downloaded 2 new apps. 1 over 3G and 1 over 2G. Both downloaded quckly and installed quickly. In fact, they installed so quickly I assumed it must have been an error, but no, they worked great. These were not updates, but apps I did not already have. Installing apps before used to take 5 to 10 minutes, and these installed in less than 2 minutes each. Much improved.

Also, 14 hours since I installed 2.1 and no app crashes yet. Was getting crashes at least once an hour before if not more depending on the app.

ok this message is a test. Normally when I post a comment on this website with my iPhone it lags then crashed.... Well it did lags but has not crashed!!! Wooot it's working smooth. Well except when it gets to the right side of the page. But it didn't crash!!

The genius does work pretty well that's cool. I love how fast texting is now. I really love how fast new applications download. And I had 7 updates for apps I didn't install because I wanted to test them today. I love it!! They all updated individually in less than 10 seconds and all the apps stay in their same place which is cool! So many things are better I now have 4-5 bars of 3g and my average download speed with the speed test app is 480kb/s edge was only 160. No apps have crashed everything is perfect. Only thing is my text messages have not chimned more than once when receiving a text. I tested by leaving it untouched after a text for 15 minutes. Woot! I love the iPhone again. Btw I types this entire message on my iPhone in my loving room with 3g. no problems!!
  • Reply 216 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sylvaticus View Post

I hope it's OK to ask this question:

Some had suggested that we might see a 64GB iPod and 32GB iPhone announced, but that clearly didn't happen.

I'm still really new to the Mac word (Mac Pro back in late May), so, do any of you know if this is a "reasonable rumor" and might still happen in the "near" future, or if it seems unlikely, that if it happens, it will likely be a year or so away?

Going Mac caught me by surprise, and I bought a new phone in March. So, I'm going to take a huge hit because of the subsidy thing. I'm willing to pay the money today to get a 16GB if the 32GB model is unlikely, but I would die if I bought one after work today and then in October or December (or January?), one was released.

Since I'm going to pay that penalty, I'm OK waiting a little longer if there's any chance, but I hate not synching my phone to my new computer. I've seen a couple utilities (Missing Sync) but they don't appear to sync mail, and I'd prefer going all Mac (I'm now saving for the new Macbook Pros coming out! WOO HOO!!).

I'd love it if some of you who are more used to Apple's product cycles and such could offer any advice on this.

Sincerest thanks,

Keith

The key thing to remember when noting what Apple does and does not offer is time. You say things like "Apple doesn't have a 32GB iPhone... yet." or "Apple doesn't having a sub-$1000 notebook... yet." or "Apple doesn't run a small country... yet."

With Apple it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Seriously though, iPhone updates have so far, only occurred in July. There may be an announcement at MacWorld, but the actual products have since its inception been July. iPods as you just witnessed get pushed out during WWDC in September or August if they're ambitious about it. Mac updates seem to fall on Fall and Spring of each year (October, November and April, May). At least these are the cycles Apple has been relaxing into for the past couple of years. If you need a new phone, get one now cause it'll be a while. If it's space you're worried about buy a classic to augment your library, Apple will be selling the outdated 160s on the cheap on their store now so get them while they're there. Then just get the lowest capacity iPhone. With things like Pandora, the other internet radio apps and that app that beams your computer-based library to the iPhone it's almost obsolete to carry copies of your music around with you.
  • Reply 217 of 314
    iPhone 2.1 installed without any problems. It took 5 minutes to download the update, and about 20 minutes to back up, prep, and install the update before the phone was ready for use again.

I did have to do a manual sync again with iTunes 8 before the Genius icon would appear while playing music in the iPod section of the phone.

2.1 fixes the chapter skip bug while playing movies. Previously I could only skip 1 or 2 chapters before the forward skip refused to skip forward and instead would skip backwards to play the current chapter from the beginning.

The phone is much more responsive to touch now. Contacts no longer has any delay in trying to scroll or tap a contact. It still takes a second or two to load, but I believe it did that under 1.1.4 as well.

I like the new fade effect with the accelerometer. Instead of the screen using a rotating animation, it now just fades from portrait to landscape. Much nicer.

I like the new E icon for Edge. Easier to see than the outlined box.

Thanks to this forum, I didn't realize the Caps Lock option was off by default. I was wondering why I couldn't turn on Caps Lock after reading about the double-tap feature.

An excellent update!
  • Reply 218 of 314
    Is anyone know that the multiple calendar color bug fixed?
  • Reply 219 of 314
    Quote:

3. Save it it.

M4A = Audio

M4V = Video

M4R = RIngtone

Done

Well, it is actually so much easier on GarageBand. You don't have to change any extension or file names. In GB you use the Media Browser to choose your song, choose the portion you want as a ringtone, and then choose Send Ringtone to iTunes. Everything is automated and very easy
  • Reply 220 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Please, lets agree to use another adjective to describe iPhone software update 2.1 then "snappier".

Remember, that was the term used to describe iPhone software update 2.0.2 to correct all the "bug fixes", and we know how beneficial that software update was in fixing all the "bugs".

Lets not jinks it by have 50 posts saying "its snappier" is all I'm saying.

is APPLE paying off people to post 'good' things about this update to confuse us??

I knew i should've waited - but since i read the post in here - i thought well Heck i needed to update and ITS WORSE!!!!! URRRRRRRRRGH i am getting so mad at APPLE ... Steve J. are you reading the blogs and the post in here???? its NOT better... its worse... my phone is acting like a Windows PC running 'OS '98

i want to get a verizon phone now i hear its better recept and just works or maybe a dare i dunno-- they better fix this crap and FAST. They are losing a real APPLE HARD CORE FAN , i usually defend APPLE products but i am getting more & more disillusioned with my 3rd iphone replacement so far ---

DON"T UPDATE I WARN YOU.... wait until they review this on the blogs and other post here.... so, so unhappy with my i-phone--- yea and please don't tell me to return it and get my $$$ back --

http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...ies/1oyvey.gif