Apple releases iPhone Software v2.1

Comments

• Reply 281 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

is APPLE paying off people to post 'good' things about this update to confuse us??

I knew i should've waited - but since i read the post in here - i thought well Heck i needed to update and ITS WORSE!!!!! URRRRRRRRRGH i am getting so mad at APPLE ... Steve J. are you reading the blogs and the post in here???? its NOT better... its worse... my phone is acting like a Windows PC running 'OS '98

i want to get a verizon phone now i hear its better recept and just works or maybe a dare i dunno-- they better fix this crap and FAST. They are losing a real APPLE HARD CORE FAN , i usually defend APPLE products but i am getting more & more disillusioned with my 3rd iphone replacement so far ---

DON"T UPDATE I WARN YOU.... wait until they review this on the blogs and other post here.... so, so unhappy with my i-phone--- yea and please don't tell me to return it and get my $$$ back --

http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...ies/1oyvey.gif

Yep, you're right. Apple is paying off every darn one of us for posting nice things here. So far, I have amassed a small fortune in my 100+ posts. Well, actually about $.03 . But I do think you should return your iPhone - just don't ask for any money back!
  • Reply 282 of 314
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Yes, much the same argument was made regarding Compuserve and AOL not needing email gateways to the general internet. Today we regard those people as having been hopelessly backwards and limited.

You again missed the point. iPhone email -> SMS. You email, they get it *ON THEIR PHONE*, and they get immediately. From their end, reception of an SMS looks *EXACTLY THE SAME*. There is no difference. There is no CS degree required. I send my brother 140char emails to his phone all the time - he never knows the difference, other than the sending number isn't mine. Just select their phone email address and send. It's just like regular email from your end, just like regular SMS from theirs. If that's too complicated for anyone... I dunno, perhaps they shouldn't be using SMS. "OMG! It's just like before! It's *blowing my mind*!"

For them to send you an email, show them how to do it from their phone - hell, just teach them how to send an email to anyone. I have yet to meet someone who didn't think it wasn't the slickest thing. "You mean I can *do that*?" Show them how to save a template with your email address, and use that as the seed instead of your phone number. (Who punches in a phone number? Almost no one - you save it, you look it up. Looking up a pre-saved gateway address is just as simple.)

No one has to do anything different to receive anything from you.

To send to you, they just have to select a different phone number entry from your contact.

Hmm, maybe you're right, that's *entirely* too complicated for people.

No, it's not. Lack of information about how to use send email to an SMS account is the problem. The phone is fine. MMS is not. It's a horrible kludge that is being used as a scam.

Bollocks. I send them from my Mac, through email. I get them on my Mac, through email. An email client is an email client.

Only ignorance of how to append the carrier domain to the recipient's phone number is preventing iPhone users from doing so. Ignorance is easy to fix, as long as it's not willful ignorance.

And yes, I've heard the "ZOMG, I have to ask them their carrier *too*?" response. Uh, yes, just like you have to ask them their domain for the email. How ever do we survive doing that, I wonder?

Here's a quick solution: set up some email templates that massage your email address into the form needed for various carriers. (What's the most there, half a dozen for most people?) When someone asks you for your phone #, send it and the template for their carrier. (After all, you did ask for their carrier, right?) They save the info just like they would any other phone #, and voila. Their work is done. Now they have all the info to MMS to you, and they had to do no more than they would otherwise. You sent it, they saved it, they use it. Done.

Because no hoops are needed to be jumped through. It's right there in your email.

It's only a shortcoming if you refuse to recognize that there's really little difference other than how you look up the address for an email, or a phone number, from an address book. This isn't complicated, it's not some arcane workaround. It's simple, straightforward, and turns the knife just that little bit more on SMS.

Hell, who's up for writing a tiny little app for the iPhone that hooks into the Contacts DB and lets you select the carrier when you enter a phone number, so you get the corresponding email gateway info entered in as an email address marked 'SMS/MMS', automatically? Couldn't be simpler in that case - ask them for their phone #, ask them for their carrier, pick from the pop-up list, it creates the entry *and* creates the proper return template for that carrier, and sends to them. They save, and you're both done.

Anyway, it's obvious you're never going to convince me that MMS is a necessary feature, and I'm never going to convince you that there are alternatives that don't require advanced technical skills... the carrier marketing is apparently pretty good. How about we skip this topic, and get back to the iPhone 2.1 update?

My only rebutal to that massive post... if the MMS workaround were really that simple, it could have been described in just one sentence.

I think we'll just have to disagree on this one.
  • Reply 283 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

It is astounding that attitude that some people take toward MMS...

Some feel that simply because they don't use it, it must not be very popular. Others are waging a dogmatic and political smear campaign because they feel the business model is unjust. Then there is the crowd that offers up hopelessly cumbersome workarounds. Finally there are the theoretical arguments which take the long term view, wanting to replace MMS with something better.

None of that addresses the fact that MMS is the most convenient and popular way to send pictures to other phones. While apple may eventually replace it with something just as easy to use and superior in other ways as well, that doesn't help in the here and now. It doesn't help people who actually want to send and receive pictures to their friends and coworkers... today.

Lack of MMS is a huge shortcoming. It may pay off in the long run if apple succeeds in switching the industry over to something better. That is a quite debatable subject. But what can't be argued is that the lack of this functionality is preventing iPhone users from joining the rest of mobile phone users in conveniently sharing pictures with each other. This isn't a theoretical assertion. It is the way things are today, not tomorrow, but today. iPhone users are not sending pictures to other phones. iPhone users aren't jumping through the hoops to receive pictures from other phones.

I still love my iPhone. But let's be honest about this shortcoming.

Well yes of course abandoning a popular if inferior technology has some inconvenience at first. Much these same argument have been made about Apple in the past.

Today no one would argue for parallel ports or floppy drives, which were popular and widely used when Apple first abandoned their use.
  • Reply 284 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrg_uk View Post

Not me. Across previous phones that I've had that were MMS capable I must have used it about three or four times in total. My GF's phone (a cheap Nokia, no camera) doesn't support it either.

One time when I tried it completely failed to work, but (so the intended recipient told me) kept failing to send to his phone.

In the early days I think the UK networks were bundling in a small allowance of MMS messages to get their customers to use it (in the hope that they'd use it more, like SMS, and it would make them more money.) But the cost they charge per message, compared to the actual amount of data required to send a picture, is such a rip-off.

So, sure, it could be a nice 'tick-box' feature to have on the phone (and it would mean the whiners need to find something else to complain about), but it's really no huge loss. I don't miss push-WAP messages either - they just seem to be used by phone spam fraudsters.

What I would really like is the ability to highlight/select text in an email, reply, and only get that included text though! (Or, to be able to select text and delete it in one go.) I dislike having to include the entire previous text of an email when I reply.

You would think that a phone like the iphone would at least give people the option of how to send a pic can it really be that difficult?? Being able to send a pic to someone without a computer is a handy feature....and while we are on it how about bluetooth file transfer??
  • Reply 285 of 314
    Quote:

Others are waging a dogmatic and political smear campaign because they feel the business model is unjust.

I do feel the SMS/MMS business model is unjust. I get unlimited data on my iPhone but have to pay 20¢ for a 140 character message. An email header carries more data. There is the argument that if it's too much money that people won't use it, but most phones don't have other text options available to them so they are locked into what the carriers charge. i think the practice, at least in the US, could be defined as a cartel. There is one politician who has recently questioned the practice of charging $1300 per MB. It's been reported that it's more than than the data from the Hubble telescope.

What I don't understand is why there is no SMS and MMS app on devices that do allow for 3rd-party apps. Especially MMS on the iPhone. There is at least one MMS app that has been submitted to Apple's App Store but has not yet been given approval. I have not read that it has been denied. If it is denied then the free market is definitely not being allowed to work.

Quote:

Then there is the crowd that offers up hopelessly cumbersome workarounds. Finally there are the theoretical arguments which take the long term view, wanting to replace MMS with something better.

The work arounds are just that, work arounds. Therefore they tend to be more complex. Even using MMS on a jailbroken iPhone running 1.x was a work around, but at least it was simple after the initial set up.

Quote:

None of that addresses the fact that MMS is the most convenient and popular way to send pictures to other phones.

I'll agree that it's more convenient and popular on phones that don't have email, but on iPhones and Blackberries anecdotally I'd say that email is the most popular and convenient way. I can't speak for S60 or WinMo devices. In your defense, most phones are simple phones that don't have a proper email app so SMS and MMS is really the only way and since email requires some sort of data package a handful of MMS messages a month isn't a lot of money if I only had a basic phone that couldn't do any real "interneting".

Quote:

While apple may eventually replace it with something just as easy to use and superior in other ways as well, that doesn't help in the here and now. It doesn't help people who actually want to send and receive pictures to their friends and coworkers... today.

I am not one to SMS or MMS, but I'm surprised that MMS is not included. I don't understand why Apple include SMS but not MMS if it's reasoning is that it's limited and outdated. I don't understand why AT&T or other carriers didn't demand that MMS be included since the infrastructure is already there and they obviously make money off it. I don't see any technical limitation to it. There seems to be a piece of the puzzle that is not being considered. What is Apple's long game here?
  • Reply 286 of 314
    Is there a way to LISTEN to a music video without displaying the video, therefore freeing the iPhone to run other apps whilst playing? Previously in 1.x tapping a music vid in any tab except "videos" accomplished this. Now in 2.x it plays the video but stops playing upon exiting the iPod app. Thoughts?
  • Reply 287 of 314
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bradley View Post

Is there a way to LISTEN to a music video without displaying the video, therefore freeing the iPhone to run other apps whilst playing? Previously in 1.x tapping a music vid in any tab except "videos" accomplished this. Now in 2.x it plays the video but stops playing upon exiting the iPod app. Thoughts?

I noticed this too. I think your only recourse is to use an app like QT Pro or VLC to extract the audio and make a separate file.
  • Reply 288 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I noticed this too. I think your only recourse is to use an app like QT Pro or VLC to extract the audio and make a separate file.

Thought I'd mention... if the music video starts playing while not in the iPod app, it plays in the background as desired. Hence, you can pick the song preceding the video, exit iPod, skip track using iPod controls, but that is annoying to say the least.
  • Reply 289 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Turning it off and then back on it not a hard reset.

Hold both the "Home" button and the button at the top(the one that turns the display on/off) until it shuts off and you see the Apple logo appear. That is a hard reset and should fix your issue.

Thanks for that. I just tried it and I have full 3G reception indoors. Excellent!
  • Reply 290 of 314
    steste Posts: 119member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antonypg View Post

I have just noticed that the iPhone 2.1 software now lets me switch the 24 hour clock off and revert back to good old AM/PM. The 12 hour clock has not been available if the time zone was set to London.

This is a welcome fix. However, it's still not perfect. When you go into your e-mail (with AM/PM set), the info bar at the bottom reads, for e.g., "Updated 14/09/2008 01:54 PM PM."

I know it's only cosmetic, but that double PM looks pretty silly.
  • Reply 291 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdawg92 View Post

Phone is definitely more responsive. Contact list comes up nice and quick. Backups are also much faster now and that is one thing I was really looking for in this update. Wow, Safari is really responsive. Gmail comes up alot quicker now, did they improve the javascript engine? Never really had a problem with 3G here in Atlanta so can't tell if calls are better. Will have to play some more.

My contact list is still pretty slow, albeit better than before. In contacts, it takes 5 to 10 seconds to get into the contacts list and there's about a 2 second lag on selecting a letter from the alphabet. Phone is a bit zippier (not sure why) with only a 4 second lag or so and pretty responsive on the alphabet once the initial load is complete. Granted I have a really large contact list but I still long for the version 1 speeds....

The good news is the sluggish speed only applies to the full list. The groups I synchronize are quite quick once you get into them.

I had some trouble with some application updates - kept getting an odd error indicating that the update didn't occur. I was able to get around the problem by deselecting them in the iTunes Applications, synching, reselecting them, and then resynching.
  • Reply 292 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geov View Post

Hey guys

I seem to have a big problem.

I updated my iphone with the latest software update and ever since I haven't had 3g connection at all. I had it before with no problems but with the latest update I don't seem to ever have it.

Any clues or tips you may be able to share to get this issue fixed?

Thanks a lot.

Geov

Seems like a stupid question to ask, but did you check if ENABLE 3G was turned ON?

Secondly, did you check if your iPhone's CARRIER settings showed you that 3G was currently available at your present location at this time? And on Automatic?

Thirdly, if the second is yes, suggest you RESTORE your iPhone in iTunes.

Note that your 3G service may be temporarily unavailable. Either because your carrier turns it off, you are out of range or you haven't set/reset your phone to receive it.
  • Reply 293 of 314
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

My only rebutal to that massive post... if the MMS workaround were really that simple, it could have been described in just one sentence.

The workaround is easy. Getting through to you is not.

Quote:

I think we'll just have to disagree on this one.

Quite likely.
  • Reply 294 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Thanks for that. I just tried it and I have full 3G reception indoors. Excellent!

No problem.
  • Reply 295 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Not everyone has MMS on their phone. Not everyone wants MMS on their phone.

Email is open, MMS is not. It's that simple, IMO... with email, you can send to anywhere in the world, with MMS, you can send to phones only. It's a closed system, like Compuserve or AOL in the 80s. And like them, it will die out as soon as people realize it's a lame, legacy, expensive scam.

1) Call them and ask.

2) Most carriers have email/MMS gateways. If you know their phone number, you can email them short emails at <phone#>@<carrier>.net and it gets delivered to them on their SMS/MMS system, to their phone.

I don't pay for SMS either - it's a total scam.

Email it to the above phone#@carrier... keep the following list handy: http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-.../gateway-list/ When I get a phone number, I ask for their carrier as well. Sometimes I get funny looks, but when I explain that it means I can send them things through email, they think it's really cool.

You email, they get it through SMS/MMS. You pay nothing, they pay for their end.

And, it works the other way too on some carriers... phones can email out by sending to a special SMS number: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gat...Email_Gateways

See 4. They get it immediately.

And, on the other hand, I don't get fleeped with random cutesy crap all day.

Nice post, I can't tell you how many times I've asked for someones email to their carrier and they say "what?? My phone can do email??". I always have to explain to them basically everything you said. Hopefully your post will clue a bunch of people in on the fact that MMS is a joke and we need to start using email for this stuff.

LanPhantom
  • Reply 296 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Because music is just a bunch of files that are able to be accessed, the apps are actually getting installed and becoming part of the operating system. I agree, it should still not be THIS slow, but there is still a lot more going on when you install apps than a simple file transfer.

Actually, I had a problem installing the applications from 2.0.1... it refused to install, or at least iTunes said so. Thanks to a little jailbreaking I got down to the bottom of this and installed Netatalk. And I found it installed the old applications MULTIPLE times in the folder... so I go about deleting them hoping that it'll make the applications show up on the home screen when I sync them again. Nope

Anyway, so I decided to restore and start from scratch... which is about the worst you can expect from this phone Still, not exactly the transition I was hoping for... well, at least it's acting much faster now, with backups being ultra zippy and syncs taking literally seconds. I guess the total wipeout of my data wasn't without its benefits (clearing up all that space and apparently making backups faster)... take advice from me, you want to copy down all your notes and sms on your computer and then restore from scratch before you go through the pointless headache of trying to fix a broken update.
  • Reply 297 of 314
    I just thought I'd add that with 2.1 there is a night and day difference between backup times and WiFi App Install times compared with the iPhone 2.02 SW.
  • Reply 298 of 314
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:

It is astounding that attitude that some people take toward MMS...

Some feel that simply because they don't use it, it must not be very popular. Others are waging a dogmatic and political smear campaign because they feel the business model is unjust. Then there is the crowd that offers up hopelessly cumbersome workarounds. Finally there are the theoretical arguments which take the long term view, wanting to replace MMS with something better.

None of that addresses the fact that MMS is the most convenient and popular way to send pictures to other phones. While apple may eventually replace it with something just as easy to use and superior in other ways as well, that doesn't help in the here and now. It doesn't help people who actually want to send and receive pictures to their friends and coworkers... today.

Please don't reply by suggesting workarounds involving email and gateways and etc... While I have degrees in CS and manage server rooms, none of the people I'm communicating with have those credentials. Their expertise is elsewhere. If I were to send any of them a MMS, they'd receive and view it with no training or difficulty. It is unfortunate that is impossible without wasting a bunch of time. If I were to email a picture, they wouldn't see it until later in the day or even later in the week. If they were to send me an MMS, i'd have to use a pencil and paper to view it.

Lack of MMS is a huge shortcoming. It may pay off in the long run if apple succeeds in switching the industry over to something better. That is a quite debatable subject. But what can't be argued is that the lack of this functionality is preventing iPhone users from joining the rest of mobile phone users in conveniently sharing pictures with each other. This isn't a theoretical assertion. It is the way things are today, not tomorrow, but today. iPhone users are not sending pictures to other phones. iPhone users aren't jumping through the hoops to receive pictures from other phones.

I still love my iPhone. But let's be honest about this shortcoming.

With all your abilities you would have thought you would have found out about the lack of MMS BEFORE you bought the Phone.
  • Reply 299 of 314
    Don't know if anyone else has noticed (or posted) this but I like the way the text message alert repeats after a few minutes if you don't read it. Ideal if someone texes you while you're in another room.

• Reply 300 of 314
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philbot View Post

Don't know if anyone else has noticed (or posted) this but I like the way the text message alert repeats after a few minutes if you don't read it. Ideal if someone texes you while you're in another room.

That is one of the things Apple listed for v2.1. It said it will remind you twice, but it didn't say in what intervals.