Apple releases iPhone Software v2.1

Comments

• Reply 181 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

237.8MB

The only MMS app for jailbroken iPhones I know about still isn't ready for v2.x, and their App Store request still hasn't been approved.

thank you...i wish my internet speed was fast enough to attempt the download at this time.\
  • Reply 182 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john_howells View Post

My understanding is that from a Mac, setting ringtones is easy with Garage Band but those of us still using a PC (I'm gonna make the switch when the new Macbooks/Macbook Pros come) it seems to be a pain in the ass that I can't work out from looking round and only seems possible with jail breaking?!?!?! If Im wrong, please tell me how!

You can make them easy enough on the PC. Below is how. Garage band doesn't actually take and shorten MP3's so unless your writing your own song.. it would be useless to you.

1. Choose the song you want to make a ringtone. (it will need to be DRM free).

2. Now you need to shorten this song to less that 40 seconds. It will recognize it in iTunes if not, but will not allow you to sync it to your phone. Trust me i just tried. You can find all sorts of bits of software out there for the PC that can do this.

3. Save it it.

4. It needs to be in apples .acc format (also known as .m4a). If its an MP3 you can convert this in iTunes. In iTunes 8 its easier, just select the file, go the the advanced menu and click create ACC version.

5. Locate that file in your music folder.

6. Change the extension that it has (either .acc or m4a) to m4r

M4A = Audio

M4V = Video

M4R = RIngtone

7. Drag it into itunes and it'll suck it up

Done
  • Reply 183 of 314
    I just installed an application and noticed that there is now a Size detail on the Application page in the App Store. There used to not be that detail before the 2.1 update.

Definitely useful so you know how long it might take to download the application (especially for things like games) when you aren't on WiFi.

--Alex
  • Reply 184 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I would count that as a blessing.

Do you really need something to "recommend" music to you and make up bogus playlists? -take all your information and "know" your likes and dislikes?

Yes. Genius is a good concept and will get better.

Quote:

Isn't shuffle good enough?

No. Why would I want a slow piano ballad followed by a techno club song...that shits me. I don't have time to go through and classify each song according to genre, and I would have to do each song because you get singles that contain a remix and a b-side for instance...

Quote:

Do you like when Amazon or Ebay "recommends" crap to you because you bought something vaguely like it? Do you need someone to "recommend" a pair of socks or a shirt to go with your pants you're buying when you shop?

No, the stupid Genius says I'm missing songs that are clearly in my Library...
  • Reply 185 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iandean1980 View Post

You can make them easy enough on the PC. Below is how. Garage band doesn't actually take and shorten MP3's so unless your writing your own song.. it would be useless to you.

1. Choose the song you want to make a ringtone. (it will need to be DRM free).

2. Now you need to shorten this song to less that 40 seconds. It will recognize it in iTunes if not, but will not allow you to sync it to your phone. Trust me i just tried. You can find all sorts of bits of software out there for the PC that can do this.

3. Save it it.

4. It needs to be in apples .acc format (also known as .m4a). If its an MP3 you can convert this in iTunes. In iTunes 8 its easier, just select the file, go the the advanced menu and click create ACC version.

5. Locate that file in your music folder.

6. Change the extension that it has (either .acc or m4a) to m4r

M4A = Audio

M4V = Video

M4R = RIngtone

7. Drag it into itunes and it'll suck it up

Done

OK, done all that above but can't change the extension in Vista?? Still shows as a .m4a (tried just adding .m4r after too) and there isn't the option like in XP to change the extension?? Sorry, I am completely dense!
  • Reply 186 of 314
    I am so glad that I can once again listen to voicemail messages via my connected BT headset. It was getting really old having to use speakerphone with a headset in my ear, not to mention the handsfree law in California which makes me feel like a criminal now if I hold a phone near my head.
  • Reply 187 of 314
    Quote:

OK, done all that above but can't change the extension in Vista?? Still shows as a .m4a (tried just adding .m4r after too) and there isn't the option like in XP to change the extension?? Sorry, I am completely dense!

Oh buggar.. Hmmm

Maybe go the the windows explorer, click the tools menu and then folder options. there maybe an option on there that says show file extension?

I'm not sure im running blind...
  • Reply 188 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussGJohnson View Post

I am so glad that I can once again listen to voicemail messages via my connected BT headset. It was getting really old having to use speakerphone with a headset in my ear, not to mention the handsfree law in California which makes me feel like a criminal now if I hold a phone near my head.

Try this

1. Open a folder or open explorer

2. Click the Layout button (to the left of the Views button) as shown in the picture below

3. Click Folder Options

4. Click the View tab

5. Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types

6. Click OK
  • Reply 189 of 314
    Quote:

Try this

1. Open a folder or open explorer

2. Click the Layout button (to the left of the Views button) as shown in the picture below

3. Click Folder Options

4. Click the View tab

5. Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types

6. Click OK

You are an absolute legend! Worked straight away! Thank you sooooooo much!

Now how about make me able to use Bluetooth on my iPhone so I can transfer files to and from it!
  • Reply 190 of 314
    Quote:

You are an absolute legend! Worked straight away! Thank you sooooooo much!

Now how about make me able to use Bluetooth on my iPhone so I can transfer files to and from it!

I'll work on it... hmm maybe i could also get the iphone to give me head too..
  • Reply 191 of 314
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    YES! Apple finally fixed Russian language wording on iPhone.

Thank God. All translations were in different tense. Looked like Google translated it. Before a lot of long words would break apart email buttons and Voicemail buttons. Now its all fixed. They fix long words with shorter ones or in some cases put (...) three dots.

THANK YOU APPLE!
  • Reply 192 of 314
    Just got in but not going to update to 2.1 jst yet as im shattered. But how are you all finding it?
  • Reply 193 of 314
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Can I ask a question as from the UK, the MMS doesn't seem such an issue to US, Canada etc, is this because you guys dont use it as much as email from mobiles??

Not at all we here on this side of the pond just don't run with the up skirt crowd and other pervs. For the most part that is the demgraphic that MMS appeals that and the drunken crowd.

The other issue is that and SMS cost money, money better spent else where. Especially when you have better alternatives.

Dave
  • Reply 194 of 314
    Quote:

when did the AI forum become a vista how-to forum?
  • Reply 195 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saveasnail View Post

I totally agree.... MMS is big in the UK and has been for a long time. So to have the latest all singing, all dancing phone but that cant do MMS is a shock to the system. Most people assume they can MMS you and it is an embarrassment to tell them your beautiful iPhone youve boasted over for so long cannot do something so simple. I dont think it would be too much of a stretch to add it to the phone. This is a phone catering for a worldwide market and just because MMS isnt as popular in the US doesnt mean it shouldnt be on the iPhone.

On the subject of Genius - its a great feature and by far superior to plain old shuffle. With a huge library of songs, it has helped me rediscover music I hadnt heard in a long time. Im not sure why people are so negative about it.

Where in the UK are you from? MMS is NOT big in the UK. I myself have only used it once ever and I dont know anyone that uses it. Its a nice feature but like video calling it wasnt marketed right and hence flopped. I dont think people would raise an eyebrow becasue iphone doesnt support MMS. Something like file transfer over BT however is a bit of a silly issue but thats something else altogther.
  • Reply 196 of 314
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

The 2.1 firmware now supports a triple click to skip to the previous track when playing music.

This makes me sooooooo happy!

How Gay am I?

Pretty gay.
  • Reply 197 of 314
    Updated my 3G iPhone to 2.1 this morning.

-Update took about 15 minutes, and there were no flaws or hang ups, went smooth.

-Overall the UI is smoother and faster, not sluggish as before.

-Contacts don't have the dreaded lag anymore, at least not on my iPhone.

-Applications load faster.

-Updating applications went much faster, and FINALLY the icons stay where they were!!!

-Loading new applications was much faster too.

-Syncing is dramatically faster with iTunes, backup only took a few seconds, then it synced everything else. All in all about a minute or so total.

-3G network seems to be present more and not dropping or switching to Edge like it used to.

-I've tried it with 3G on all day, so far the battery still has plenty of life, though I must admit I wasn't making many calls or browing with Safari much, but at least I know it has enough juice to get me through the day with moderate use.

Still looking around on it for any other improvements or features.

All in all this doesn't feel like a beta version anymore. I only wish they would have added COPY AND PASTE, can you hear all the noise about this Apple? How many people will have to complain until they add such a fundamental feature?

I'm finally mostly satisfied with this truly revolutionary device. Kudos Apple!
  • Reply 198 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Lets not jinks it by have 50 posts saying "its snappier" is all I'm saying.

Nobody's trying to *jinks* (jinx) it; you didn't have to snap at him!
  • Reply 199 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by denislemire View Post

Previous to 2.1 when a call came in the entire screen was dominated by the photo of the incoming caller from your contacts.

Now it just shows a small photo and caller details at the top overlaid over your background image.

I'm probably just being resistant to change here, but my initial thought is I like the old way better.

This dates back to iPhone 1.0 with the original iPhone. My brother had the same issue. It has something do with the photos set for each contact. When the phone syncs with the Mac, it would update photos from the Address Book application. This would create the smaller photos. If photos were attached to contacts from the phone's photo library, the full size images would appear as you described. I never had the problem when I bought my 16 GB phone with 1.1.4.

So you might want to troubleshoot it yourself by choosing photos from the iPhone vs. the photos stored in your address book application on the Mac.
  • Reply 200 of 314
    Each update, I hope and pray that youtube will be fixed!! no. If i switch wifi off youtube flies...I know youtube is sending a reduced size but hey...wifi should be usable.

Anyone else have this issue?