Apple releases iPhone Software v2.1

Comments

• Reply 141 of 314
    It's hard for me it miss the 3G icon but I don't miss the edge one.
  • Reply 142 of 314
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iandean1980 View Post

the 2.1 firmware now supports a triple click to skip to the previous track when playing music.

sweet! I've been wanting this feature since day one.
  • Reply 143 of 314
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Also, snappier.
  • Reply 144 of 314
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

It's hard for me it miss the 3G icon but I don't miss the edge one.

I'd be happy never to see that E again.

Of course, where I live, AT&T will take another century to put in 3G,

so I'll have to enjoy it only while travelling, and keep seeing the E in

my home area.

• Reply 145 of 314
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

While MMS is a dirty hack, it is a dirty hack that is widely supported and simple to use. There isn't yet a suitable replacement.

Email or IM is superior from a technical design standpoint. But for actual usage, MMS is more desirable in the here and now. Apple's refusal to implement it may be good in the long run if they succeed in replacing it with something superior. But as of yet, we're stuck without the ability to exchange pictures with the vast majority of people.

Sure, email and IM on a phone is great... but that doesn't make it possible for me to actually send or receive pictures from friends today. For that, MMS is required.

No, it's not. Check my post on the previous page.

To email (iPhone) -> SMS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gat...o_SMS_gateways

http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-.../gateway-list/

http://www.accutracking.com/sms-email.html

To SMS -> email (iPhone):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gat...Email_Gateways

Together, we can kill SMS dead.

I mean good lord, my current POS phone doesn't have MMS... so what does Verizon do? Set up an email forwarding. Which I turned off. The point is, every major carrier has these gateways - we just need to *USE* them.
  • Reply 146 of 314
    Well, so far so good indeed

from Google News, search for iPhone 2.1:

• Reply 147 of 314
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Not everyone has an MMS capable phone. Now if you were going to start over, which function would you include first:

a) a phone-only, picture-only system that lets your carrier charge you outrageous fees?

b) somethat that connects for free to every source of information in the world and works on computers, consoles and other systems too?

I'm not saying don't have email on phones. I love my push email from MobileMe.

However, nearly every phone sold in the UK supports MMS. I'm a university student, and I would wager 95% of students have MMS capable phones.

Quote:

Tie phone numbers to e-mail accounts. That is, allow me to send an e-mail to a "phone number". This is essentially how MMS works.

If this happened, it'd be great.

The solutions that some companies have suggested (like email <phonenumber>@<carrier>.com) is useless, because that requires knowing which network they are on.

Quote:

As opposed to "Can you see this web page" and your phone can't do that?

Which do you want to do more often? I don't know about you, but I've used MMS about five times in the last five years, three of which failed. I've sent hundreds of pictures from my iPhone. Why? Because they go directly in e-mail, FaceBook, Flicker, etc. This is where I keep all of my pictures in the first place.

I want to see webpages most often. Which is why I have an iPhone.

My point is that it should do both. Obviously if I had to choose one I'd choose web browsing, but there's no reason why the two functions are mutually exclusive.
  • Reply 148 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Power Apple View Post

Well, so far so good indeed

from Google News, search for iPhone 2.1:

So, is this what Steve meant by a "killer app"?
  • Reply 149 of 314
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

So, is this what Steve meant by a "killer app"?

• Reply 150 of 314
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

While MMS is a dirty hack, it is a dirty hack that is widely supported and simple to use. There isn't yet a suitable replacement.

Email or IM is superior from a technical design standpoint. But for actual usage, MMS is more desirable in the here and now. Apple's refusal to implement it may be good in the long run if they succeed in replacing it with something superior. But as of yet, we're stuck without the ability to exchange pictures with the vast majority of people.

Sure, email and IM on a phone is great... but that doesn't make it possible for me to actually send or receive pictures from friends today. For that, MMS is required.

There was nothing natural about the development of MMS, its strictly about money. The only reason for MMS convenience is because the software was install on millions of feature phones and email was not.

Email is clearly a better and more ubiquitous system. As smartphone and data usage grow MMS will die.
  • Reply 151 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

I'm not saying don't have email on phones. I love my push email from MobileMe.

However, nearly every phone sold in the UK supports MMS. I'm a university student, and I would wager 95% of students have MMS capable phones..

I totally agree.... MMS is big in the UK and has been for a long time. So to have the latest all singing, all dancing phone but that cant do MMS is a shock to the system. Most people assume they can MMS you and it is an embarrassment to tell them your beautiful iPhone youve boasted over for so long cannot do something so simple. I dont think it would be too much of a stretch to add it to the phone. This is a phone catering for a worldwide market and just because MMS isnt as popular in the US doesnt mean it shouldnt be on the iPhone.

On the subject of Genius - its a great feature and by far superior to plain old shuffle. With a huge library of songs, it has helped me rediscover music I hadnt heard in a long time. Im not sure why people are so negative about it.
  • Reply 152 of 314
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saveasnail View Post

I totally agree.... MMS is big in the UK and has been for a long time. So to have the latest all singing, all dancing phone but that cant do MMS is a shock to the system. Most people assume they can MMS you and it is an embarrassment to tell them your beautiful iPhone youve boasted over for so long cannot do something so simple. I dont think it would be too much of a stretch to add it to the phone. This is a phone catering for a worldwide market and just because MMS isnt as popular in the US doesnt mean it shouldnt be on the iPhone.

This isn't new, Apple has not supported technologies before that were popular but Apple viewed as inferior to better technology. Everytime Apple does this people think they are crazy, but more often than not proves to be the correct choice.

In the larger picture MMS isn't as good or as ubiquitous as email, its use will fade as data usage grows.
  • Reply 153 of 314
    I am also a little confused by the "alledged" ability to be able to "...Repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages..."

Having downloaded the updated user manual and looked for a while I have not managed to find any reference to it!

Any ideas anyone???
  • Reply 154 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This isn't new, Apple has not supported technologies before that were popular but Apple viewed as inferior to better technology. Everytime Apple does this people think they are crazy, but more often than not proves to be the correct choice.

In the larger picture MMS isn't as good or as ubiquitous as email, its use will fade as data usage grows.

Yup it may not be as good but its still popular and in huge usage in the UK. The majority of people still dont have iPhones here and will be using a standard mobile phone which does have MMS , but not readily or easily accessible email. Im just confused why the iPhone cant to both.
  • Reply 155 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I think on the whole yes your right BUT I for one would like the ability to choose whether I use an Email or MMS.

Whilst every service provider may have the ability to email [email protected] in the UK this is used very very very little. I guess it's horses for courses and country by country it's going to differ but its one thing I do miss being able to send them!

I also miss Bluetooth transfer of images/data, copy and paste and being able to set my own ringtone but it's not going to make me like the iPhone any less!
  • Reply 156 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john_howells View Post

I am also a little confused by the "alledged" ability to be able to "...Repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages..."

Having downloaded the updated user manual and looked for a while I have not managed to find any reference to it!

Any ideas anyone???

From what ive read, this isnt a feature you can switch on or off, this is automatic. If you havent read a text message, it will repreat the sound again after an interval.
  • Reply 157 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john_howells View Post

Whilst every service provider may have the ability to email [email protected] in the UK this is used very very very little.

Exactly. I dont know anyone with a phone other than an iPhone, who knows how to email from their mobile, or even wants to.
  • Reply 158 of 314
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

On the subject of Genius - its a great feature and by far superior to plain old shuffle. With a huge library of songs, it has helped me rediscover music I hadnt heard in a long time. Im not sure why people are so negative about it.

Some developers released MMS applications for Jailbroken iPhones. They also did release some video recording and VOIP applications (for jailbroken iPhones too). We just need someone to do them for the App Store now. As far as I know, there is nothing in SDK agreement that forbid such apps.
  • Reply 159 of 314
    updated my iPhone and much much faster in all areas so far.
  • Reply 160 of 314
    Quote:

From what ive read, this isnt a feature you can switch on or off, this is automatic. If you havent read a text message, it will repreat the sound again after an interval.

Thank you! Not sure how I haven't found this forum earlier!