Palm surprises with Pre smartphone running new webOS

Comments

• Reply 181 of 209
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It doesn't do that on mine. Is that maybe after a long time? For example, if you leave Safari after posting to AI and go back in, it doesn't refresh and lose your reply.

If it's after a long time, it may do this to get the latest version of the page. If for example, you have a news page up, auto-refresh would be expected so you know you have the latest news.

It could be a setting in the preferences so that it doesn't refresh for people who don't want that though.

You're probably right, but it seems like the time scale is kind of short, maybe 30 minutes? I guess I'm used to programs that stay open on a page all day and not force a refresh when I get back to it. Certain pages do legitimately need to auto log-out for security, but I don't think it's a blanket necessity.
  • Reply 182 of 209
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

Actually, when you get a call, the iphone terminates the audio app and starts the phone app.. it is not running both at the same time. It only comes back to what you were playing cause it saves the sate of the last application. also, not sure taking a call is an application. That is what the phone does, take a call, everything else is an app. if you use that definition, then all phones multitask (doesn't all phones allow you to take a call regardless of what you are doing?).. sorry, that is not example of multitasking.

You can listen to music and write an email, browse the internet using Safari, Write a note using text program.. etc. The iPhone OS can multitask but it is limited to specific programs by Apple to increase memory and battery efficiency. For example, why run a text editor in the background while it is possible to save where the user left off and close it?!

Multitasking is mainly useful for IM programs. To make up for that Apple promised to give us push notification service months ago but they didn't.
  • Reply 183 of 209
    "Pre's introduction, website, technology packaging, industrial design, UI, product naming and positioning...down to the flow of its CES presentation were pointedly, but perhaps not surprisingly, Apple-like. Of all the current iPhone competitors, Pre clearly captures the "soul" of the iPhone as much as any product not-from-Cupertino can. Whatever Pre "borrows" from the iPhone, it does so not with the brazen indifference of recent iPhone-killers, but with care and purpose."

However:

"Palm is clearly late to iPhone's party. By the time the first Pre is sold, the iPhone will likely have 30 million users in 70+ countries, 15,000 apps, a huge developer and peripherals ecosystem, perhaps a third of the market share and 40% of smartphone revenues. And that's before the next generation iPhone device and OS are introduced."

I explored Pre's chances in:

Strategic shortcomings of Pre in the post-iPhone era
  • Reply 184 of 209
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

It is not as simple as that. They won't simply be "web" apps. Bottomline is that the Palm Pre sdk will allow native apps. Its just that the programmers will be using programming languages normallly associated with web apps. Uh uh dude Palm is out for blood! \

I think this is the hardest part of the Pre announcement to understand.

I don't see how iPhone's Web SDK and Pre's Web SDK differ.

What made the iPhone more valuable was a *real* SDK running native cocoa applications.

Perhaps the Pre can cache the web-apps somehow so users don't have to wait to load them.

I am excited by the Pre - I think the cards interface, global search and other innovations are significant.

I just don't buy the web-apps thing any more than I bought it when it was Apple's famous "shit sandwich". (as Gruber called it.)

C.
  • Reply 185 of 209
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    with limited hands on, i don't see the "deal" with the pre far too many questions a hands on review for more than 15 seconds can answer

this article says loads it makes more sense than some company throwing something out there to build a stock price

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/19692/
  • Reply 186 of 209
    I have an iPhone. I like what I see thus far of the Palm Pre.

1. Slide-out keyboard: The thumb-board on my old Palm Treo is much easier to type on than the on-screen keyboard of my iPhone. The slide-out keyboard of the new Pre is similar to the Treo's and should allow much faster text entry and texting than the on-screen keyboard of the iPhone in my experience. Let's face it, buttons simply give better tactile feedback than a glassy screen. And BTW, my Treo worked in portrait mode and that wasn't a real problem, I usually use my iPhone in portrait mode too. I hated my old HTC Windows Mobile phone where, if you wanted to do text entry, you *had* to slide out the slider and do it in landscape mode.

2. One-handed operation: Everything on the Treo could be operated one-handed. You try that with the iPhone, and you end up with the thing squirting out of your hand as you try to hit that one link at the top of the web page. Palm is famous for making everything usable one-handed.

3. Elegant multi-tasking UI design. You can definitely see the Apple influence there. Android and Windows Mobile are butt-ugly, inconsistent, hard to use, and cannot be used one-handed at all (the iPhone at least can *sort* of be used one-handed, though you better have big hands). For Windows Mobile I have to use a product called "Magic Button" to make their multi-tasking work right. What I saw of Android at a demo was so butt-ugly that I just shook my head and asked, "Why should I prefer this to Windows Mobile?" That's just how ugly it was, and I didn't see anything it did that Windows Mobile didn't do. But it looks like Palm is doing it right (i.e., the Apple way ).

4. Ability to sync anything anywhere. It peeves me that I cannot sync memos on the iPhone via the normal iTunes sync mechanism, for example. I have to use the Evernote system and rely on its cloud mechanism. Coming from Palm-land, where you had conduits, the iPhone's sync system seems ridiculously crude and primitive.

5. Ability of applications to cooperate via a standard communications protocol: it's irritating that the iPhone API does not allow applications to cooperate with each other. The LastFM service, for example, cannot "scrobble" based on your iTunes play lists the way it does when you run its client on the Mac because a) it's not allowed to access anything belonging to iTunes, and b) not allowed to run in the background and monitor what iTunes is doing. While Apple has now added their "Genius" service that does something of the same thing as LastFM's "scrobble", it's not *exactly* the same because LastFM uses its "scrobble" to pick tunez via Internet radio, vs. just putting you into the Itunes store. Also: Pandora and LastFM would work much better if they could forward you to the iTunes store to buy something you're listening to. But they're not allowed to do that by the design of Apple's API, which doesn't allow applications to multi-task and communicate with each other.

I've used every smartphone on the market today. I have an iPhone right now because it's the best one on the market right now, Windows Mobile has usability problems typical of Windows products, Android is a mess, Blackberry has limits almost as bad as that of the old PalmOS, and the old PalmOS is excruciatingly primitive if you want to access the web or email on the platform. If I could have the Windows Mobile's multi-tasking innards combined with the old PalmOS's easy one-handed usability and Apple's brilliant mobile browser and modern UI innovations such as swipeable panes, I'd be much closer to my "perfect" smartphone than I am now. Palm's Pre, from the descriptions thus far, gets me closer to that perfect phone than anything currently on the market. We'll have to see whether the actuality matches with the hype, but if it's as good as it sounds, when it hits the market I may well head back to Palm-land again, even with it being tied to Splint.
  • Reply 187 of 209
    So which Symbian phone phone have you been using, since you seem to have oddly left that out? It's funny because from what you want to do with your phone, it sounds like a Symbian device matches most closely. Good browser, easy multitasking, one handed operation, and with the 5800 at least, touch screen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by badtux View Post

1. Slide-out keyboard: The thumb-board on my old Palm Treo is much easier to type on than the on-screen keyboard of my iPhone. The slide-out keyboard of the new Pre is similar to the Treo's and should allow much faster text entry and texting than the on-screen keyboard of the iPhone in my experience. Let's face it, buttons simply give better tactile feedback than a glassy screen. And BTW, my Treo worked in portrait mode and that wasn't a real problem, I usually use my iPhone in portrait mode too. I hated my old HTC Windows Mobile phone where, if you wanted to do text entry, you *had* to slide out the slider and do it in landscape mode.

2. One-handed operation: Everything on the Treo could be operated one-handed. You try that with the iPhone, and you end up with the thing squirting out of your hand as you try to hit that one link at the top of the web page. Palm is famous for making everything usable one-handed.

3. Elegant multi-tasking UI design. You can definitely see the Apple influence there. Android and Windows Mobile are butt-ugly, inconsistent, hard to use, and cannot be used one-handed at all (the iPhone at least can *sort* of be used one-handed, though you better have big hands). For Windows Mobile I have to use a product called "Magic Button" to make their multi-tasking work right. What I saw of Android at a demo was so butt-ugly that I just shook my head and asked, "Why should I prefer this to Windows Mobile?" That's just how ugly it was, and I didn't see anything it did that Windows Mobile didn't do. But it looks like Palm is doing it right (i.e., the Apple way ).

4. Ability to sync anything anywhere. It peeves me that I cannot sync memos on the iPhone via the normal iTunes sync mechanism, for example. I have to use the Evernote system and rely on its cloud mechanism. Coming from Palm-land, where you had conduits, the iPhone's sync system seems ridiculously crude and primitive.

5. Ability of applications to cooperate via a standard communications protocol: it's irritating that the iPhone API does not allow applications to cooperate with each other. The LastFM service, for example, cannot "scrobble" based on your iTunes play lists the way it does when you run its client on the Mac because a) it's not allowed to access anything belonging to iTunes, and b) not allowed to run in the background and monitor what iTunes is doing. While Apple has now added their "Genius" service that does something of the same thing as LastFM's "scrobble", it's not *exactly* the same because LastFM uses its "scrobble" to pick tunez via Internet radio, vs. just putting you into the Itunes store. Also: Pandora and LastFM would work much better if they could forward you to the iTunes store to buy something you're listening to. But they're not allowed to do that by the design of Apple's API, which doesn't allow applications to multi-task and communicate with each other.

I've used every smartphone on the market today. I have an iPhone right now because it's the best one on the market right now, Windows Mobile has usability problems typical of Windows products, Android is a mess, Blackberry has limits almost as bad as that of the old PalmOS, and the old PalmOS is excruciatingly primitive if you want to access the web or email on the platform. If I could have the Windows Mobile's multi-tasking innards combined with the old PalmOS's easy one-handed usability and Apple's brilliant mobile browser and modern UI innovations such as swipeable panes, I'd be much closer to my "perfect" smartphone than I am now. Palm's Pre, from the descriptions thus far, gets me closer to that perfect phone than anything currently on the market. We'll have to see whether the actuality matches with the hype, but if it's as good as it sounds, when it hits the market I may well head back to Palm-land again, even with it being tied to Splint.

• Reply 188 of 209
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badtux View Post

[...]

Unless Palm provides some really good UI standards and developer tools to create them, I can easily see 3rd party web apps being butt-ugly and inconsistent.

Quote:

I bailed on Palm mainly because their Mac syncing was crappy. You're not going to want to sync gigabytes of media files over the air, and I don't want my contacts stored on someone else's servers. Do you know if the Pre even has a memo app and/or what it would sync to? I seriously doubt this new WebOS supports anything like Palm OS's conduits (or how many years before they'd support them on OS X).

I'm going to enjoy my iPhone until the Pre is actually available and then make a judgement. This discussion about sometimes fictional features of the Pre (not to single out the person I quoted) is really a waste.
  • Reply 189 of 209
    thttht Posts: 5,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

I bailed on Palm mainly because their Mac syncing was crappy. You're not going to want to sync gigabytes of media files over the air, and I don't want my contacts stored on someone else's servers. Do you know if the Pre even has a memo app and/or what it would sync to? I seriously doubt this new WebOS supports anything like Palm OS's conduits (or how many years before they'd support them on OS X).

Considering the dearth of information about a desktop sync application, I believe the Pre will not come with desktop sync software. If you want to put gobs of music or video or other non OTA syncing data onto the device, you'll have to connect it through USB and it'll appear as a USB flash drive.
  • Reply 190 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

So which Symbian phone phone have you been using, since you seem to have oddly left that out? It's funny because from what you want to do with your phone, it sounds like a Symbian device matches most closely. Good browser, easy multitasking, one handed operation, and with the 5800 at least, touch screen.

Uhm, except I'm in the United States. I can't get a Symbian phone in my area. Can't test out what I can't buy. Just goes to show how backwards U.S. cell phone operators are, that they refuse to sell the #1 smartphone worldwide because, well, just because, I guess. Go check out AT&T's web site right now and tell me how many Symbian phones you see listed there. (Hint: if there are any, they're hidden -- and certainly not the 5800).
  • Reply 191 of 209
    Quote:

You forgot to say slow, laggy and a UI no where near as intuitive or nice as iphone.
  • Reply 192 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

You forgot to say slow, laggy and a UI no where near as intuitive or nice as iphone.

Clearly someone hasn't used a modern Symbian phone . The iPhone is slower and more laggy than S60 Nokia's these days, but the interface certainly isn't as intuitive.
  • Reply 193 of 209
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    I've written off all the old blood long ago. Sony Ericson,, motorola's mobiles, nokia sybian, and for sure as hell WinMo.

Palm is the only one I've seen so far try to actually do something new. Them and Android.

And of course the company that actually started the new wave.....Apple.

Blackberry had better go back to the drawing board lest they end up being part of the old school crew.

I see Apple being the number one mobile maker with Palm being 2nd (based on what I see with WebOS) and android....yes android third.

Blackberry will end up being fourth with all the rest becoming very tiny market sharers.
  • Reply 194 of 209
    Quote:

I've written off all the old blood long ago. Sony Ericson,, motorola's mobiles, nokia sybian, and for sure as hell WinMo.

Palm is the only one I've seen so far try to actually do something new. Them and Android.

Blackberry had better go back to the drawing board lest they end up being part of the old school crew.

I see Apple being the number one mobile maker with Palm being 2nd (based on what I see with WebOS) and android....yes android third.

Blackberry will end up being fourth with all the rest becoming very tiny market sharers.

Never say never, but I think your predicitions are completely unrealistic. Nokia with a very tiny market share?! That just isn't going to happen!
  • Reply 195 of 209
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Really?.. Apple being #1, with a single product line?..Is nokia supposed to fold up and die?.
  • Reply 196 of 209
    Quote:

Really?.. Apple being #1, with a single product line?..Is nokia supposed to fold up and die?.

It's akin to saying Apple will be the number 1 maker of computer OS with Microsoft having a tiny share
  • Reply 197 of 209
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

I used to be a Nokia stockholder - folding up and dying is exactly what they are doing. Margins on the bulk of their phones are getting pushed to zero, the smart phone market is the only place left to make money, and Apple and RIMM own the space.
  • Reply 198 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I used to be a Nokia stockholder - folding up and dying is exactly what they are doing. Margins on the bulk of their phones are getting pushed to zero, the smart phone market is the only place left to make money, and Apple and RIMM own the space.

Pretty certain Nokia still have by far the largest Market share on the smartphone side of things.
  • Reply 199 of 209
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Pretty certain Nokia still have by far the largest Market share on the smartphone side of things.

Their market share is dropping fast, and it is only a large market share for a pretty liberal interpretation of "smart phone".

show me a Nokia smart phone that people are excited to buy. Nokia has large market share the same way that General Motors used to have large market share.
  • Reply 200 of 209
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    How exactly do you measure this? I cannot speak for the S60, but the iPhone isn't slow and laggy in general.

Their can be slow downs and lag when the processor and memory are saturated. But then that's the same situation for any computer.

Quote:

Clearly someone hasn't used a modern Symbian phone . The iPhone is slower and more laggy than S60 Nokia's these days, but the interface certainly isn't as intuitive.