Microsoft's latest ad attacks Mac aesthetics, computing power

Comments

• Reply 201 of 520
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

What a useless argument, why don't you line up at a foodbank instead of buying food, after all it's cheaper and everone is thinking cheap these days.

What a useless reply also. If you want to go that route, show me a loaf of bread that cost $2000 vs a loaf of bread that cost $1.00.

If there is such a thing you would buy that $2000 dollar loaf of bread because its softer and has twice the shelf life. That just about sums up your point.
  • Reply 202 of 520
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Great advantages, but it doesn't matter. It will never be mentioned on the ad. The only thing that rings a huge bell to potential viewers/buyers is the price and the seemingly bigger spec numbers on the product. For some who need a new computer or upgrade, this is good enough than the pricier Mac.

You do have a point.

Apple doesn't really target the kind of consumer that is pictured in the ad. Would be nice to coax that segment into a Mac purchase as well, but I really don't think it's going to happen.
  • Reply 203 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You do have a point.

Apple doesn't really target the kind of consumer that is pictured in the ad. Would be nice to coax that segment into a Mac purchase as well, but I really don't think it's going to happen.

I'm not giving up though. Whenever a person asks me for advice, I will drill in their head the advantages of the Mac and why the price is justified. As a Mac fan, I hope we all keep doing so to counter this sleazy cheap shot that MS has finally pulled out of its ass.
  • Reply 204 of 520
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The Apple fanbase is hurting in this economy too.

If your a Mac user with an older Mac and just lost your job or have a fear of losing your job, had your wages cut, and you need a new computer, which will you buy?

I'd like to think I'd chose make a long term decision and get a Mac. If I was in a position to be financially hurting and I did 'need' a new machine (which I have to assume means my current one is broken otherwise I don't see why that would be need) I would go for a used Mac over a new PC.

If I thought it was only for the short term I might go for a desktop instead of my usual notebook, which allows me to get more machine for my dollar. That in itself is something to be discussed as most people by notebooks in the US over desktops yet most people don't need notebooks, they simply want them for their portability.

There are so many things I can do to save money and cut back that don't require me to buy a new HP notebook.
  • Reply 205 of 520
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:

The Apple fanbase is hurting in this economy too.

If your a Mac user with an older Mac and just lost your job or have a fear of losing your job, had your wages cut, and you need a new computer, which will you buy?

I fully agree with this. Apple needs to have at least one computer in each category aimed at being "affordable quality." It doesn't have to be the cheapest. In fact it can still be the higher priced compared to comparable specs but not the highest specs out there. It just needs a medium specced computer where the base model is attractive, not stripped down, but a good machine priced at the top end of what consumers in a contracting economy will be willing to pay for the middle tier product in their overall lineup within a category.

I guess that is the difficulty Apple has always struggled with, that sweat spot of price just at the tipping point that gets people to say to themselves, "it's a little pricey, but what the hell I'm going for it" vs. "It's a high end machine and I really want one, but I just can't spend that much for a computer when I don't need really that much computer."
  • Reply 206 of 520
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    I wonder how much this insurgency of trolls has cost Microsoft's advertising company? Time to administer the Ritalin nurse! The little darlings are getting out of hand.
  • Reply 207 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Is English your first language?

Have you ever even *been* to a college or University? ...

You are a very lucky guy not to be banned form this site for all the personal attacks you make...

Forums are for debates and conversations...

• Reply 208 of 520
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Hours installing antivirus and antispyware programs? Yeah right. Vista comes with Windows Defender...

And what about the HP's firewire port, express card slot, HDMI out and, from what I can tell from their web site, an optical drive with Blu-ray capability? Don't see those on the MacBook anywhere.

I prefer not needing an anti-virus, most are a PITA; I've seen (seemingly) well-behaved enterprise McAfee installs however.

Such laptops break down in my experience- those with 10-in-1 readers and ports galore. Toshibas, HP/Compaqs, inexpensive notebooks, etc. They overheat and sustain MOBO damage.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by randomdude View Post

A 15-inch Macbook Pro with
    • 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

• 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2 Dimms)

• 250GB Serial ATA HDD @ 5400rpm

• 8x optical disc drive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

• NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT graphics card with 256MB dedicated video memory

costs $2099.00.

I then went to dell.com and looked at a computer there, and customized it a bit.

A 16-inch Dell Studio XPS 16 with
    • Intel® Core? 2 Duo T9800 (6MB cache/2.93GHz/1066Mhz FSB)

• Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-bit (yes, it really can handle the next entry...)

• 5GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms)

• 320GB Serial ATA HDD @ 7200rpm

• 8X optical drive (DVD+/- R/RW CD-RW)

• ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 3670 graphics card with 512MB dedicated video memory

costs $1,949.00.

...What does a Macintosh have that could possibly justify this? And don't tell me that Macs are more reliable. They may be, but I have had a Dell laptop for three and a half years, and I have had zero problems with the hardware.

Great work.

Get XPS/Alienware/Sager if you want raw performance, but like a sports car, don't expect low-maintenance, amenities, or a usable cupholder.

Get Macbook/Pro if prefer a smooth problem & stress-free ride, with great amenities.
  • Reply 209 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd like to think I'd chose make a long term decision and get a Mac. If I was in a position to be financially hurting and I did 'need' a new machine (which I have to assume means my current one is broken otherwise I don't see why that would be need) I would go for a used Mac over a new PC.

If I thought it was only for the short term I might go for a desktop instead of my usual notebook, which allows me to get more machine for my dollar. That in itself is something to be discussed as most people by notebooks in the US over desktops yet most people don't need notebooks, they simply want them for their portability.

There are so many things I can do to save money and cut back that don't require me to buy a new HP notebook.

Unless something has changed I don't know about, Snow Leopard is Intell only. That means if you want to remain current (which is pretty much a necessity unless you plan to only run unsupported legacy aps for the next few years) you'll need a new machine in a few months if you have a PPC (and you want to stick with the platform you've invested in as an Apple customer). This is true even if a G5 still suits your needs processor wise. Also, for professionals who need a computer at home they pay for out of their own pocket to match the one they have at work, there is a point where the difference in performance (read don't want to stay up all night waiting for something to render on my G5 when it would render in minutes on a newer machine) makes keeping the older machine costly time-wise, but buying a new computer means "jumping in again" a difficult decision to make money-wise.
  • Reply 210 of 520
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

I fully agree with this. Apple needs to have at least one computer in each category aimed at being "affordable quality." It doesn't have to be the cheapest. In fact it can still be the higher priced compared to comparable specs but not the highest specs out there. It just needs a medium specced computer where the base model is attractive, not stripped down, but a good machine priced at the top end of what consumers in a contracting economy will be willing to pay for the middle tier product in their overall lineup within a category.

I guess that is the difficulty Apple has always struggled with, that sweat spot of price just at the tipping point that gets people to say to themselves, "it's a little pricey, but what the hell I'm going for it" vs. "It's a high end machine and I really want one, but I just can't spend that much for a computer when I don't need really that much computer."

They have the Mini, although it's still lacking in RAM and HD. Other than that, it's OK, but I think Apple could really reduce costs if they went to something a bit bigger (even an mATX board, with standard desktop components).

For most everything else has, I see a premium price, but lacking premium components. The 20" iMac and MB use fairly crappy LCDs, they use the same RAM and HDs as everyone else, but skimp a bit on HD size (when everyone else is including 250+ GB drives, Apple is still sporting a 5400 RPM 120 GB drive in the MB). And the Nvidia 9400M is just another IGP, I mean Nvidia is going to be using that GPU in their Ion platform before too long (and Acer just released a Atom-based nettop with the Ion platform IIRC).
  • Reply 211 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

i WANT an iMac, but with todays economy, i think im going to end up with something else. most likely the new Dell All-in-one that is releasing this month or next. the reason? cost. no other reason, there is a very large difference when spending teh same amount of money... worth $700+ in differences. in todays world, thats huge.

thats one sale right there. i would spend $300 more on a comparative apple all-in-one. i think thats a fair amount to ask, not $700+.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...mco=Mjk1NDEwOQ
  • Reply 212 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

They have the Mini, although it's still lacking in RAM and HD. Other than that, it's OK, but I think Apple could really reduce costs if they went to something a bit bigger (even an mATX board, with standard desktop components).

For most everything else has, I see a premium price, but lacking premium components. The 20" iMac and MB use fairly crappy LCDs, they use the same RAM and HDs as everyone else, but skimp a bit on HD size (when everyone else is including 250+ GB drives, Apple is still sporting a 5400 RPM 120 GB drive in the MB). And the Nvidia 9400M is just another IGP, I mean Nvidia is going to be using that GPU in their Ion platform before too long (and Acer just released a Atom-based nettop with the Ion platform IIRC).

Take the iMac, put it in a minitower, pizza box, whatever format, minus the premium for laptop components and the cost and limitations of built in monitor, SOLD (to me at least).
  • Reply 213 of 520
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randomdude View Post

Mac OSX is worth nine hundred fucking dollars? Get real.

I could by an entire computer for that much money.

So I get two computers with Windows, you get one with OSX, and you are honestly telling me that you think you got a better deal? What the hell is wrong with you?

OS X is worth quite a bit in time savings. I never got a virus when I ran Windows, but many people asked me for help when they got one. It was a nightmare - and you never really knew it was gone.

And Windows Update is a disgrace, plain and simple.

Is the Mac perfect? No. But I wouldn't trade mine for three PCs. I used to make my living as an MCSE, I know how to manage computers. I don't miss anything about Windows.

I think OS X is worth at least double its retail price - especially given Microsoft's price sheet.

Why can't I just stay out of Mac vs PC discussions??
  • Reply 214 of 520
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    The discussions of Mac vs PC really are pointless. What's more interesting is how these ads are polarising opinion in a way that hasn't happened for a while; hence the quite juvenile trolling going on here. Presumably MS are trying to staunch the loss of market and mind share by being faux-honest about the cheapness of the PC hardware offerings. They must be fully aware that a) anybody who understand the Apple ethos isn't going to give a toss about these ads and b) the ads can only re-enforce the Apple brand. They must surely also be aware of how God-awful the ads are. What's the mind game going on here?

Very odd but highly entertaining.

Meanwhile Apple is quietly creating the next monopoly platform with which MS has already lost the chance of competing (shh... over here. Look at this. Its called an iPhone)
  • Reply 215 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

OS X is worth quite a bit in time savings. I never got a virus when I ran Windows, but many people asked me for help when they got one. It was a nightmare - and you never really knew it was gone.

And Windows Update is a disgrace, plain and simple.

Is the Mac perfect? No. But I wouldn't trade mine for three PCs. I used to make my living as an MCSE, I know how to manage computers. I don't miss anything about Windows.

I think OS X is worth at least double its retail price - especially given Microsoft's price sheet.

Why can't I just stay out of Mac vs PC discussions??

I'd like to stay away also, but Microsoft has dealt a low blow with this ad campaign.

Rather than argue the merits between each OS/Software/Hardware, MS decides to take advantage of the current economic crisis. Its now not about why each company can truly empower the user. MS instead borrowed from the old sleazy used car salesman technique. Cheap sells.
  • Reply 216 of 520
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

The discussions of Mac vs PC really are pointless. What's more interesting is how these ads are polarising opinion in a way that hasn't happened for a while; hence the quite juvenile trolling going on here.

The ads are bringing a lot more people to these forums. I wonder if these ads will do more to sell more Macs than they will to sell more HPs. I do find it odd that they include a part where he emotionally states that the Mac is so sexy. That isn't something I would have included in a commercial against Macs.
  • Reply 217 of 520
    >>Microsoft are now LITERALLY resorting to propaganda techniques used in World War II.

Uh no joke, business is war. So it is ok for Apple to poke fun at Microsoft in advertisements, but when they fight back, you can't handle it, so grow up.
  • Reply 218 of 520
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    There's a difference between a mosquito biting an elephant, and an elephant excreting all over the mosquito. What we are seeing here is the latter. And we are supposed to be impressed!
  • Reply 219 of 520
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The ads are bringing a lot more people to these forums. I wonder if these ads will do more to sell more Macs than they will to sell more HPs. I do find it odd that they include a part where he emotionally states that the Mac is so sexy. That isn't something I would have included in a commercial against Macs.

Well, the issue is that its not a commercial against Macs per se.

its a commercial that the macs are sexy and cool, but if you have a set bunch of requirements (however worthless they are) or a specific budget, then apple does not provide a lot of choice. With "PC's" you can get it the way you want, they are offering choice.
  • Reply 220 of 520
    Quote:

I'd like to stay away also, but Microsoft has dealt a low blow with this ad campaign.

Rather than argue the merits between each OS/Software/Hardware, MS decides to take advantage of the current economic crisis. Its now not about why each company can truly empower the user. MS instead borrowed from the old sleazy used car salesman technique. Cheap sells.

That's just forum's like this one where, let's face it, geeks like us talk about this stuff for entertainment purposes for the fun of intellectual debate (or the fun of fighting with strangers). The vast majority of people who see these (and Apple's ads) don't give a rats a$$. Most people I'm guessing don't rely on either MS or Apple's ads when they make their final decision and plunk down their hard earned cabbage. They rely more on personal experience and the opinions of friends and acquaintances more.