BlackBerry unseats iPhone as most popular smartphone in Q1

Comments

• Reply 81 of 166
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Just FYI also ... It's incredibly insulting to most "Americans" to refer to USA citizens as "American" anyway. There are millions of "Americans" in North and South America that are not citizens of the USA. The USA is not really "America" it's just one of the American countries.

That's such a waste of your breath. I'm pretty sure you're targeting that at US citizens, most of them don't care what you say on this matter and will call themselves Americans for the next 500 years. Can't speak for the millions of other Americans, but if they find it insulting (I can see the point, easily) they should probably move on, it's not going to change.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American. First bullet.
  • Reply 82 of 166
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

iPhone 2G/3G

Notice your signature line above.

Is this one phone (a 2nd gen, 3G phone) or did/do you have a 2G network iPhone ( whatever that is) and also a 3G network iPhone?
  • Reply 83 of 166
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

I'm a fan of Apple products; have been for 20 years; the G3 is brilliant because of what I no longer cart around: watch, alarm clock, dictionaries, PDA, calendar, weather report, iPod, camera, photo library, google, tube/metro maps, and so much more, all in one device. It's a must-have for the well-traveled, June will raise the bar again. It's not just me. Everywhere I go in the UK, I see iPhones. The knowing glance that iPhone owners share often says, "this is the coolest thing ever"

How RIM grabbed market share when faced with such a game-changing device as the iPhone can only be explained by the 2:1 promotion; that won't last for much longer; be prepared for another tumble in RIMM's share price when that day of reckoning comes. If I were RIMM, I'd be terrified

Right- and Apple gives away iPod Touches with Mac purchase and includes them in the OS percentages. So what?
  • Reply 84 of 166
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    Quote:

Maybe because "buying American" is xenophobic, old-fashioned, rude, etc.?

Apple is finally trying to become a global company and having a moderate amount of success at it. Why would they now start a series of advertisements that were explicitly designed to piss off the largest and fastest growing segments of their market?

Even if you ignore the fact that "buying American" is counter-productive even for Americans and just doesn't work anymore, it's a stupid idea because if it did work it would sink the biggest portion of the market.

Just FYI also ... It's incredibly insulting to most "Americans" to refer to USA citizens as "American" anyway. There are millions of "Americans" in North and South America that are not citizens of the USA. The USA is not really "America" it's just one of the American countries.

Yikes! Lighten up. Look, I'm a card carrying liberal (labor union officer, Obama voter, on and on), not a mindless Lou Dobbs xenophobe. Buying an American product is just one of many choices a consumer can make, it's not an insult to every other country on the planet. I'm just sayin' . . . .

I hear your argument and I take your comments seriously. I had the same second thoughts myself. All in all, one strategy to get us out of this serious economic downturn is to help each other.

I never envisioned this campaign to go international; that would be foolish. I was thinking of U.S. based ads only. I don't think it would go viral and have the world mad at us. But, maybe you're right. Maybe this wouldn't work so well here anyway.

As far as my being "incredibly insulting" to refer to U.S. citizens as Americans--that's a little silly don't you think. What you say is quite true, we're all Americans, north and south. But in common parlance, the term is well understood to indicate U.S. citizens. In High School in the 60's we hosted a student from Colombia for a year. My Colombian sister educated us on their sensitivity to being Americans too. So I didn't use the term out of ignorance or insensitivity. Just didn't think I needed to be so precise in this informal discussion.

Again, thanks for your challenges.
  • Reply 85 of 166
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Slow day on Neowin?

I give credit where it's due. And Apple deserves a helluva lot. If it weren't for them we'd still be in the dark ages of tech. That of course isn't to say that some other company wouldn't have stepped in to innovate and implement like nothing else (history isn't inevitable), but I sure as hell don't see anyone even remotely in the same class as Apple today. Perhaps Google, or even Sony. But I don't have a Google 3G phone, nor an Google OS that's tops in design and usability, nor anything Sony that clearly differentiates it in terms of form and function from everything else.

OK_ SHow me then the equivalent of the SOny Rolly or are you just talking phones.
  • Reply 86 of 166
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Speaking as a fellow citizen of a non-USA North American country, I personally am absolutely not insulted in the least by the use of the term "American" to refer exclusively to US citizens.
  • Reply 87 of 166
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Indeed, RIM is a stunning c...

Good catch, Foo2! I wrote that phrase half-accidentally and it made me smile when I finally got my own joke. As I sent it, I wondered if anyone would get it, and you did!
  • Reply 88 of 166
    Apple has secured 1.1% global market share, and an even more substantial share of the smartphone market. They're here to stay. Some quarters they'll outsell others, some they'll be outsold. It's an incredibly competitive market, and always will be.

If you are an iPhone user, you can go to bed every night knowing that Apple will keep making them. If you're not an iPhone user, you can go to bed every night knowing Apple will keep making them. In other words, if you're happy with your cell phone choice, WHO CARES who outsells who?
  • Reply 89 of 166
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Speaking as a fellow citizen of a non-USA North American country, I personally am absolutely not insulted in the least by the use of the term "American" to refer exclusively to US citizens.

Nor should you be. It's like Georgians from the state or country getting offended because the term was not qualified despite the context being clear.

What country are you from? I'm finding that there is a growing number of Central Americans that are being taught or choosing to believe that Central America is not part of North America.
  • Reply 90 of 166
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Absolutely! I've only invested over $100 in apps so that when I finally decide to replace my 1st Gen iPhone (which amazingly still feels like new thanks to all the apps) I'll be sure to decide to buy a Touch so I don't waste all that money and then buy a CrackBerry to replace my iPhone because, heck, I've got a pocket on either side of my pants - both should be full!!

Most people underestimate the app store effect. If you are an iPhone owner with many apps and decided to buy a Blackberry (or maybe your company gives you one) you are still going to stick with Apple by buying an iPod Touch in order to use the apps you love.

For Apple it is about the platform not only the device. If they can't get you for an iPhone they can get you for an iPod Touch (a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush). In my opinion, this is genius marketing. Notice people here who don't want an iPhone because of AT&T still buy a Touch.
  • Reply 91 of 166
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Last time I checked Apple only has one 1 iPhone, whats with the all models?

Depending on how you slice it, there have been 2, 5, or 6 iPhone models so far:

1) Original iPhone

2) iPhone 3G

or

1) Original 4GB iPhone

2) Original 8GB iPhone

3) Original 16GB iPhone

4) 8GB iPhone 3G

5) 16GB iPhone 3G

or

1) Original 4GB iPhone

2) Original 8GB iPhone

3) Original 16GB iPhone

4) 8GB iPhone 3G

5) 16GB Black iPhone 3G

6) 16GB White iPhone 3G

If you really wanted to get pedantic, you could note that the iPhone has been sold with several different part numbers depending on the country of origin, and each of those might be considered a different iPhone model. I wouldn't go that far unless someone came up with a very good reason to do so.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

What country are you from?

I am Canadian.
  • Reply 92 of 166
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    US market: RIM's #1. They always were, no one knows where's that big surprise.

Globally: Nokia's #1 - 40.8% market share, 15.6 million units; RIM's #2 - 19.5% market share, 7.4 million units; Apple's #3 - 10.7% market share, 4.1 million units.

• Reply 93 of 166
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No it isn't.

The title:

BlackBerry unseats iPhone as most popular smartphone in Q1

it's set up as A vs. B. It's set up as a competition. It doesn't read: "Blackberry sells well this quarter." It's calling out the iPhone. That's how the article/author wants to play it.

And I'll play it that way as well.

Oh gee ok. You're totally right. It's completely obviously this article is about determining which phone is best, and reading the title is all you need to discuss it. Why didn't I see it that way?
  • Reply 94 of 166
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Maybe because "buying American" is xenophobic, old-fashioned, rude, etc.?

Apple is finally trying to become a global company and having a moderate amount of success at it. Why would they now start a series of advertisements that were explicitly designed to piss off the largest and fastest growing segments of their market?

Even if you ignore the fact that "buying American" is counter-productive even for Americans and just doesn't work anymore, it's a stupid idea because if it did work it would sink the biggest portion of the market.

Not to side track this discussion, however most everyone I ever meet outside the US, either from north America or central or south, tend to refer to themselves from their county of birth like Mexican/Latino, Canadian or Brazilian, I personal never had any of them refer to themselves as "American" they actually tend to try to stay way from that reference since "American" has bad perceptions outside the US. They are much more proud of their birth heritage and put that forward.

It like going to Europe and calling them all European, you would be corrected real fast.
  • Reply 95 of 166
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm finding that there is a growing number of Central Americans that are being taught or choosing to believe that Central America is not part of North America.

NAFTA was not that great of an idea IMO. People love to hate the USA but if they ever get a chance to live here they rarely turn it down. American envy
  • Reply 96 of 166
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

OK_ SHow me then the equivalent of the SOny Rolly or are you just talking phones.

I'm talking phones, useful devices, etc.

I didn't mean things like the Rolly . . . which does seem to be one of a kind, actually. LOL . . . it looks like a fun toy, I suppose.
  • Reply 97 of 166
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I think the real suck on the iPhone's marketshare is the iPod Touch and Skype.

That number is probably miniscule/insignificant. I doubt very much that Skype is a factor in not getting an iPhone.
  • Reply 98 of 166
    conradconrad Posts: 10member
    Quote:

People love to hate the USA but if they ever get a chance to live here they rarely turn it down. American envy

And this is *why* people love to hate the US. I personally don't hate the country, just the attitudes of *some* of it's citizens. But I'd never move there... I like my socialzed medicine too much.
  • Reply 99 of 166
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    What is the proper term? United Statesian ? USAish?
  • Reply 100 of 166
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

What is the proper term? United Statesian ? USAish?

Americanite