BlackBerry unseats iPhone as most popular smartphone in Q1

Comments

• Reply 121 of 166
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's because it's not.

There is North, Central, and South Americas.

What planet are you from, Klaatu?

There's a whole wiki on it for anyone wondering about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_America

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As usual, Teckstud doesn't have the faintest clue about anything. Doesn't even know how many continents their are or that Central America is a subset of the North American land mass.

might want to learn the difference between "there" and "their" before telling someone they don't have a clue

(sorry man, I'm just teasin ya, not tryin to be a dick or anything)
  • Reply 122 of 166
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

There's a whole wiki on it for anyone wondering about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_America

"[Central America] is the southernmost, isthmian portion of the North American continent..."

Quote:

might want to learn the difference between "there" and "their" before telling someone they don't have a clue

(sorry man, I'm just teasin ya, not tryin to be a dick or anything)

Yep, I made a mistake, but the difference is I know the difference, just wasn't paying attention. I'll make that grammatical error and many others again.
  • Reply 123 of 166
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:

"[Central America] is the southernmost, isthmian portion of the North American continent..."

Yep, I made a mistake, but the difference is I know the difference, just wasn't paying attention. I'll make that grammatical error and many others again.

It's all good. Trust me, I see much worse while playing left4dead and listening to some kid rage in the chat room, calling everyone "morans" and "idiets" and saying things like "Your cheating" LOL

I want to get "Your a moran" on a t-shirt :P
  • Reply 124 of 166
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

As usual, Teckstud doesn't have the faintest clue about anything. Doesn't even know how many continents their are or that Central America is a subset of the North American land mass.

Solipism- I don't know what they teach you on your planet but Central America exists and is a place. Look on any globe. .

The north american continent is completely different than North America.

What do they teach you Brits? I bet you don't believe England is European either.
  • Reply 125 of 166
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Solipism- I don't know what they teach you on your planet but Central America exists and is a place. Look on any globe. .

the north american continent is different that North America.

What do they teach you Brits. I bet you don't believe England is European either.

The word continent doesn't mean "to exist as a place". I understand that learning is difficult for you but with so much access with the internet and a supplied link above perhaps one day you will realize that Central America is not a continent, that is part of the North American continent. I don't know how old you are, the level of schooling you've had or what horrible accident as made learning so difficult for you but US children learn this very early on in grade school.

Right from the Oxfrod American Dictionary 2nd edition:
    North America |ˈnɔrθ əˈmɛrəkə|

— a continent comprising the northern half of the American landmass, connected to South America by the Isthmus of Panama. It contains Canada, the U.S., Mexico, the countries of Central America, and usually Greenland.
    PS: Back to the ignore list with you as this is not the homework helpline forum and I don't wish to tutor you.
  • Reply 126 of 166
    While RIM did an excellent job I have to say that the iBoys (aka fanboys) will not give credit where credit is due unless Apple is on the winning end of the stick. So Republican of them....

Anyway, why compare the iPhone with anything other than another iPhone. Clearly the iPhone is more of a media player, less of a phone and clearly not a smartphone. All of this is pure hype. The iPhone is in a category by itself and to be fair, it dominates that category. It is a pretty decent device. For the most part I am very pleased with mine and will continue to use it. However, when I really need to do something serious telephony wise, I will turn to my Nokia because it gets the job done.
  • Reply 127 of 166
    Quote:

The word continent doesn't mean "to exist as a place". I understand that learning is difficult for you but with so much access with the internet and a supplied link above perhaps one day you will realize that Central America is not a continent, that is part of the North American continent. I don't know how old you are, the level of schooling you've had or what horrible accident as made learning so difficult for you but US children learn this very early on in grade school.

Right from the Oxfrod American Dictionary 2nd edition:
    North America |ˈnɔrθ əˈmɛrəkə|

— a continent comprising the northern half of the American landmass, connected to South America by the Isthmus of Panama. It contains Canada, the U.S., Mexico, the countries of Central America, and usually Greenland.

Central America (Spanish: Centroamérica or América Central) is a central geographic region of the Americas.

WHAT'S An OXfrod Dictionary- maybe that's your problem.
  • Reply 128 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

While RIM did an excellent job I have to say that the iBoys (aka fanboys) will not give credit where credit is due unless Apple is on the winning end of the stick. So Republican of them....

Anyway, why compare the iPhone with anything other than another iPhone. Clearly the iPhone is more of a media player, less of a phone and clearly not a smartphone. All of this is pure hype. The iPhone is in a category by itself and to be fair, it dominates that category. It is a pretty decent device. For the most part I am very pleased with mine and will continue to use it. However, when I really need to do something serious telephony wise, I will turn to my Nokia because it gets the job done.

That's always been its main criticism- that it's more a toy than a tool.
  • Reply 129 of 166
    Quote:

That's always been its main criticism- that it's more a toy than a tool.

Nothing wrong with toys/tools. I am quite happy with my iToys and Noki-toys. They work for me very well. My problems with the iPhone are not with the phone as it is a sound design. My problem is with Apple and its almost Nazi like control that is pervasive with all things iPhone, hell even in general. In the area of telephony even SonyEricsson kicks the iPhones butt, however the tight integration between phone and services, MobileMe, the AppStore, iTunes, etc... Apple wins hands down. Nokia will flop big time with their Ovi Store, Music Store, Ovi Service. The only saving grace is that their phones are technologically better (people know this even iBoys but they will not admit it), and Nokia Maps is a pretty nice tool. On the integration front, it is game, set, match: Apple. Luckily for me, I get the best of both worlds.
  • Reply 130 of 166
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

ATT and Apple would be very pleased to hear the logic that causes you to think that your iPod was free. It only cost you $1500 or so.

I could use some help making sense of this. Apple had a promotion in the education market of including an iPod touch with each iMac sold. I have an iPod touch and I've never paid AT&T a penny. In my case Apple has never charged anything beyond the original $200. Where does your $1500 figure come from?
  • Reply 131 of 166
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

My problems with the iPhone are not with the phone as it is a sound design. My problem is with Apple and its almost Nazi like control that is pervasive with all things iPhone, hell even in general. I

Which is why they're in business today and absolutely shining in this economy, and showing the rest of the industry how it's done. There are very, very good reasons for that "Nazi like control", and I for one am grateful that Apple actaully givers a damn about how thier product is implemented, marketed, and supported.

That control ensures you don't end up with a lousy product, a substandard user experience, and basically an also-ran copycat item.
  • Reply 132 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Which is why they're in business today and absolutely shining in this economy, and showing the rest of the industry how it's done. There are very, very good reasons for that "Nazi like control", and I for one am grateful that Apple actaully givers a damn about how thier product is implemented, marketed, and supported.

That control ensures you don't end up with a lousy product, a substandard user experience, and basically an also-ran copycat item.

Then why does AT&T and their subpar network have you by the balls?

Regardless this surge will change come June.
  • Reply 133 of 166
    1013media1013media Posts: 7member
    This is good news... I'm a "longtime" (as in since inception) iPhone user and a big fan of the device... and news such as this is what spawns innovation and perhaps even a price-point correction for the iPhone...
  • Reply 134 of 166
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:

... However, when I really need to do something serious telephony wise, I will turn to my Nokia because it gets the job done.

I ask the question because I'm genuinely curious. Could you explain in more detail what "something serious telephony wise" might be? I have my own vague idea of what might be involved but I suspect your angle is probably quite different.
  • Reply 135 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Let me clarify. I am talking about basic telephony features. The iPhone as an iPod works well. No problem with that at all. Mmmkk?
  • Reply 136 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

I ask the question because I'm genuinely curious. Could you explain in more detail what "something serious telephony wise" might be? I have my own vague idea of what might be involved but I suspect your angle is probably quite different.

The things that I wish my iPhone could do are most likely going to be addressed in 3.0 but only 2 phones and 2 years late. Some of the most very basic include: forwarding an SMS, or how about having real VoIP options, not just wifi as the connection point. Just about every phone on the market (supposed smartphone) has had this functionality for years and years. Apple is now playing catch up.
  • Reply 137 of 166
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Damn learn how to spell and make sense.

hahahahahahahahaha

lol Those were my thoughts but I didn't have the heart to tell him myself.
  • Reply 138 of 166
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Good job, RIM!

However, the big question is:

Is the iPhone getting out of steam and the Blackberry on the rise long-term?

I think Apple can still feel comfortable. No matter what the market-share figures for the last quarter show, Apple is still the leader in the smartphone sector because everybody and his dog are trying to copy Apple - the OS capabilities, the interface, the AppStore, the iPhone/iPod ecosystem, the developer following. No one is even remotely close. The fact that RIM outsold Apple does not mean the have outdone Apple. The most recent customer surveys still places Apple ahead of the pack. To put it in a different way: did RIM sold more phones because they make better devices or have better OS? Definitely not. BTW, RIM's gross margins fell more than 10% during the last quarter, from more than 50% to less than 40%. This brings up the question whether their business model is sustainable long-term.

There are several reasons iPhone sales experience slow down now, and none of them suggests Apple is in trouble IMO:

- the iPhone is locked to AT&T and the underdog carriers in the majority of the countries worldwide. Apple is more after the profit than the market share. I personally hate this, but the investors should be happy. Well, I still believe that Apple erroneously copies a successful US model worldwide but the net effect is that they lose more than they get outside the US, but that's my wild guess, Apple has the figured and trends to look at.

- Apple is consistently following it's own strategy and it's own pace of development. Currently, the RIM's strategy seems a bit like the rest of the pack - to copy Apple and beat them on price, bundles and wider availability. Does not look like a winning strategy for me.

- Everybody expects the new iPhone and many will hold off their purchase until the nect version is released. I have no idea why so many people were convinced by a RIM fanboy (investor, actually) that coming June all 1st-gen iPhone users will have their contracts expired and will start looking for a new phone, presumably from a different carrier and different vendor. This is such a BS, almost every word of it! To begin with, only a small portion of iPhone contracts compared to the entire user base expire in June. The spike of the 1st gen iPhone sales in September/October (after the price drop) was higher than the initial sales, to say nothing about the next 18-20 months. Second, the high customer satisfaction figures would suggest that those customers are much more likely to extend their contracts, and even buy a new iPhone. Third, changing carrier is a bit more of an issue than changing your sport shoes. It is absolutely unrealistic to believe that users will switch their carrier en masse just because someone introduced a marginally better phone (arguably) and toss out their apps and iPhone accessories along the way. The only phone that had measurable effect on subscriber migration was the iPhone, and this was US only. This did not work at all outside US.
  • Reply 139 of 166
    msheredymsheredy Posts: 22member
    It's bound to happen when they are giving their phones away, literally.

http://shop.verizonwireless.com/?id=...KNC-PaidSearch

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tekdud, ?I mean tekstud?

Wow that one flew right over your pea-brain didn't it . He's talking about the user experience of an Apple product. [It] is by far better then any other electronic device out there. Customer satisfaction surveys continue to back this up as well.
  • Reply 140 of 166
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Regardless this surge will change come June.

I'm with Rogers.

I have no problems with their service.