BlackBerry unseats iPhone as most popular smartphone in Q1

Comments

• Reply 141 of 166
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

They could also opt for a Touch and a really good phone.

I'm moving from Verizon to AT&T as I've waited long enough for the product to mature. I sure as hell could care less about Verizon and what it's provided me in terms of service.
  • Reply 142 of 166
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Who cares about RIMM. I'll take AAPL's stock performance any day!
  • Reply 143 of 166
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I really doubt that iPhone owners, even those whose contracts will expire, will leave the iPhone along with the money they invested in buying their iPhone apps anytime soon.

I don't know why people think of Jun/July as the magic date where iPhone owners will expire their contracts?!! The 1st generation iPhone was sold for a whole year before it was replaced by the 3G version and the majority of 1st iPhone owners (in the US) upgraded. I am also sure that almost all of those who did not upgrade will go for the new iPhone coming this summer so they can keep using their apps (professional, games, .. etc).

I agree, people are ignoring a couple big factors.

1. iPhone 3.0 & possibly a hardware refresh for iPhone supporting 4G are coming down the pipe. A lot of would be purchasers will hold out for this.

2. BlackBerry is pretty much where it's gonna be for a while & cell providers are practically giving away some of their cheaper models. People who aren't looking for the power of iPhone & are more focuses on e-mail are going to typically get the cheaper BlackBerry.

I'd also be curious to know the rates of people switching from one to the other. I've know of a couple people who got a BlackBerry & traded it in for an iPhone, don't know anyone yet to do the opposite (though I'm sure there are some). The number of people switching from one to the other because it provides valuable data on loyalties to a device. You can sell a lot of crap but if people quickly exchange it for something else that doesn't necessarily equal success.
  • Reply 144 of 166
    bl3bl3 Posts: 1member
    Blackberry Curve = The Poormans iPhone

iPhone = Those who are not credit challenged

The reason why the Blackberry curve has more sales?

1) verizon =buy 1 blackberry get 1 Free (haha) <----desperate to get rid of blackberrys

2) spirint = The place where the credit challenged go for a phone (simple as that)

ANYONE can say whatever the heck they want about iPhone not beating the "Poormans iPhone" sales.

Honestly tho, the customer service lately from AT&T has been outstanding. The times I've phoned in for support I'm ALWAYS greeted with proactive professionalism from someone very knowledgable and helpful who DOES SPEAK ENGLISH. Thank God

Where as with verizon/sprint from my past experiences has been OMG pure hell. I guess that just goes with the territory of who your choice of carrier is LOL.

Besides iPhone is built alot better stronger less flimsy and overall the best all in one mobile device out there. And Apple just keeps getting better and better at thier products.

Granted the Blackberry Bold is an excellent business device, but the Bold is also on AT&T hehe.
  • Reply 145 of 166
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Damn learn how to spell and make sense.

It's native iPhone. I see it here from time to time.

Not just my posts but others.

Normally you will see "fir" instead of "for", live instead of love, Love the iPhone but sometimes I try and type much to fast for it to keep up. Additionally, if you go past a few lines of text, forget editing the post on the iPhone.

When you try to edit text, the paragraph comes up but the text you want to edit is below the screen and there is no way to scroll down in text edit mode on a forum, hoping this and SCROLLING PAGE DOWN is fixed in 3.0. Better yet would be to see Mac Rumors and Apple Insider optimized for the iPhone like CNET.

Have you ever read a forum thread on an iPhone only to use your finger to scroll down, down, down, to catch up to where you left of. Since you touch the top of the phone browser to go to the top of the page, wouldn't it make sense to do the same for the bottom.
  • Reply 146 of 166
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

When you try to edit text, the paragraph comes up but the text you want to edit is below the screen and there is no way to scroll down in text edit mode on a forum, hoping this and SCROLLING PAGE DOWN is fixed in 3.0. Better yet would be to see Mac Rumors and Apple Insider optimized for the iPhone like CNET.

Have you ever read a forum thread on an iPhone only to use your finger to scroll down, down, down, to catch up to where you left of. Since you touch the top of the phone browser to go to the top of the page, wouldn't it make sense to do the same for the bottom.

The scrolling in edit mode and getting to the bottom of a page can be tedious. I think additional RAM will improve the former but the latter will require an added feature. I go for double clicking the top bar to jump to the bottom.
  • Reply 147 of 166
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Damn learn how to spell and make sense.

Normally you will see "fir" instead of "for", the auto spell will replace words it doesn't know, et-cetera. Love the iPhone but sometimes I try and type much to fast for it to keep up. Additionally, if you go past a few lines of text, forget editing the post on the iPhone.

• Reply 148 of 166
    p lp l Posts: 64member
    Quote:

That's his gestalt- that daft mantra- over and over no matter what the product.

Pay it no mind.

I wonder whom the rimmers are bashing on their forum?
  • Reply 149 of 166
    Quote:

Normally you will see "fir" instead of "for", live instead of love, Love the iPhone but sometimes I try and type much to fast for it to keep up. Additionally, if you go past a few lines of text, forget editing the post on the iPhone.

I empathize.
  • Reply 150 of 166
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Right from the Oxfrod American Dictionary 2nd edition

Oxfrod??

Is that like a low budget alternative to the Oxford?
  • Reply 151 of 166
    Quote:

It's native iPhone......... to catch up to where you left of. Since you touch the top of the phone browser to go to the top of the page, wouldn't it make sense to do the same for the bottom.

Hmmmm..... the iPhone also made you hit 'submit reply' twice?

(This was in response to Post #148, not #146!)
  • Reply 152 of 166
    themoofthemoof Posts: 1member
    Saying that the Blackberry 83XX series beat the iPhone is a little misleading. Why not compare the 83XX to the entire iPod and iPhone line?
  • Reply 153 of 166
    duecesdueces Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

RIM didn't SELL 7.8 million BlackBerries, they SHIPPED that amount. When you get so desperate that you give away half of your products, you may be able to bump up your volume temporarily, but it's a doomed business model.

Either the Blackberries are highly overpriced when they are sold at regular price, or they are losing money with this promotion. In either case, RIM is engaging in an unsustainable practice. The company should not be applauded for making a superior product, they should just get that sarcastic, slow clap for pulling off a cunning stunt.

RIM didn't have anything to do with the BOGO promotion, that was strictly a Verizon promotion.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

"They are going to sell it below cost, and make it up on volume!"

A lot of businesses choose this misguided approach to keep the "numbers up...."

They're chasing market share thinking that will eventually give them profit!

Once again this was a Verizon promotion and had absolutely nothing to do with RIM. RIM doesn't need to advertise their Blackberries, they sell themselves. When is the last time you seen a Blackberry commercial that was done by RIM? Me....never. I see Verizon Blackberry Storm commercials all the time and Sprint Blackberry commercials every once in a blue moon.

On the flip side 90% of iphone commercials I see are by Apple and not by ATT.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Cheap and plentiful tends to sell.

Apple with just ONE phone with just ONE provider shook up the entire industry and took #1 position in the US and #3 worldwide and held it for quite some time.

Now, in a lousy economy, RIM offers a Wal-Mart-esque promotion on their ancient e-mail/texting machines and they manage to get into a top spot in Q1. And so far only Q1.

Are we supposed to be impressed that a company that has been in business forever, that has produced the Storm-flop, has managed not to suck for once??

Yes the iphone is in ONE carrier in the US, but the iphone is sold in 3x as many markets as all Blackberries combined, don't take that fact lightly because it is a scorcher.

Once again RIM did not offer the promo, Verizon did. One carrier in 1 country in the whole world.

The Storm-flop? I think you better check the stats, the Storm did VERY well for Verizon.
  • Reply 154 of 166
    duecesdueces Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

That was sort of what I was thinking. How many phones does blackberry offer? How many carriers? The playing field isn't exactly level in this scenario.

Did you even read the article? ONE Blackberry model beat ALL iphone models. Yes the Curve is sold on more carriers in the US. And yes the iphone is sold in 3 times as many markets globally as all blackberry models combined.
  • Reply 155 of 166
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

I see Verizon Blackberry Storm commercials all the time and Sprint Blackberry commercials every once in a blue moon.

On the flip side 90% of iphone commercials I see are by Apple and not by ATT.

This is one thing that Apple required with their exclusivity that Verizon wasn't going to go for. Most, if not all, cellphones are marketed by the carrier in the US, but Apple wanted to control this themselves. I think even the in-store marketing is supplied by Apple.

Quote:

Yes the iphone is in ONE carrier in the US, but the iphone is sold in 3x as many markets as all Blackberries combined, don't take that fact lightly because it is a scorcher.

Is it really 3x as many markets? Do you refer to a market as a country? Would also say that the iPhone has 3x as many potential customers when you add up every account on every carrier that each company sells their devices? I don't think that would be true. How about when we adjust for price variances since RiM sells plenty of <$100 Blackberries.

Saying a market is a country is disingenuous to prove that the iPhone should have 3x as many sales. For instance the Cameroon market consists of 4.5M cell phone users according to the CIA World Fact Book. When you consider how many are on their Orang e network and how many are potential smartphone users the number drops significantly. Then you have populace countries like India where both the BB and iPhone are sold but the BB is sold for all carriers while the iPhone only for Vodaphone. All these factors make a difference in potential sales. This doesn't nullify RIM achievement but it should put it into some perspective.

Quote:

The Storm-flop? I think you better check the stats, the Storm did VERY well for Verizon.

What are the stats? Last I saw they had a quick upswell, as one would expect, with a 50% return rate within the first month. Of course, that was with the initial firmware, how have things changes since the updates. It can be hard to change a bad first impression and until they get rid of their touchscreen type I don't think that will change regardless of how good the firmware is.
  • Reply 156 of 166
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:

That's because it's not.

There is North, Central, and South- Americas.

What planet are you from, Klaatu?

WRONG!! North America and South America refers to two of the seven continents of the world. Central America is a geographical region in NORTH AMERICA!! Please do some research! Now please, can we all stick to the subject at hand??!

http://www.worldbook.com/wb/images/c...ca_climate.gif

• Reply 157 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

Care to provide the stats, or a link?
  • Reply 158 of 166
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    This jump is a natural reaction to all the white collar layoffs, a lot of people used their corporate cells as personal cells too, plus, they want mobile email for their job search, so they buy what they know so they don't have to learn a new phone during a job hunt.

Plus I have heard of a few companies that pulled the cells and told their people to get their own and pay for it if they wanted one...so that could be a few too
  • Reply 159 of 166
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bl3 View Post

Blackberry Curve = The Poormans iPhone

iPhone = Those who are not credit challenged

Just so ya know, as you seem to associate BB with VZW, VZW has a much higher minimum credit standard than ATT, I have seen people with really high credit scores need a $300 deposit on VZW when I sold them a while back.
  • Reply 160 of 166
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Oxfrod??

Is that like a low budget alternative to the Oxford?

He's a Brit- knows nothing about the Americas- Obsessed with continents. I guess that's because England thinks it's their own Continent!