BlackBerry unseats iPhone as most popular smartphone in Q1

Comments

• Reply 101 of 166
    conradconrad Posts: 10member
    Definately USAish (Pronounced yoo-saw-ish)
  • Reply 102 of 166
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

And this is *why* people love to hate the US. I personally don't hate the country, just the attitudes of *some* of it's citizens. But I'd never move there... I like my socialzed medicine too much.

Does anyone else see the ironic parallelism between an American who thinks the rest of the world wants to live in America, and a Mac owner who thinks all PC users secretly want a Mac?
  • Reply 103 of 166
    *pfft*
  • Reply 104 of 166
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Cheap and plentiful tends to sell.

Apple with just ONE phone with just ONE provider shook up the entire industry and took #1 position in the US and #3 worldwide and held it for quite some time.

Now, in a lousy economy, RIM offers a Wal-Mart-esque promotion on their ancient e-mail/texting machines and they manage to get into a top spot in Q1. And so far only Q1.

Are we supposed to be impressed that a company that has been in business forever, that has produced the Storm-flop, has managed not to suck for once??

That was sort of what I was thinking. How many phones does blackberry offer? How many carriers? The playing field isn't exactly level in this scenario.
  • Reply 105 of 166
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    Boy, did I send everyone down a rat hole or what? Didn't mean to. Just brainstorming ways for Apple to further differentiate the iPhone from Blackberry to get an edge on sales. Now we are in political land.
  • Reply 106 of 166
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

Americanite

That sounds like some kind of mineral.

I had always assumed they were at least the same species as the rest of the people on the planet.
  • Reply 107 of 166
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

One of the more sensible and rational comments in this thread.

I can wait for the next version iPhone (the first for my wife and I)!

BS

He's actually doing "smooth" trolling. As always ¬¬
  • Reply 108 of 166
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

What is the proper term? United Statesian ? USAish?

American.
  • Reply 109 of 166
    I know the Manifest Destiny is important to US Citizens, but claiming the whole of TWO continents as your own!? Not even Australia tried that!
  • Reply 110 of 166
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I know the Manifest Destiny is important to US Citizens, but claiming the whole of TWO continents as your own!? Not even Australia tried that!

Saying you are American in context to the USA is not "claiming the 'whole two continents as your own." It's like when I someone says they are from Georgia or from The City.
  • Reply 111 of 166
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I would like to see numbers of iPod Touches stealing from iPhones. There are a lot of people out there who would love an iPhone, but will not switch to AT&T. I think that's where Apple is loosing business to RIM (I don't think that's a bad thing as it can inspire Apple to do better)

I do think that in the next update to iPhone and iPod Touch, we may see more differences between the two devices to make sure that we buy iPhones instead, and we'll see the numbers surge. iPod Touches will be more limited, and thus making many prospective buyers unhappy. Just a guess... Apple's done it before. MacBook Firewire anyone?

But yeah, right now, the only product I would buy from Apple would be the iPod Touch. Minus the crippled hardware (bluetooth!) and crippled App Store, its an amazing device! Even with those short falls I still want one! But WILL not buy an iPhone on AT&T... ever. I'd go BB first!

I'd say that perhaps some of the iPod Touch sales is also just part of the previous iPod upgrade cycle, bolstered by people on the fence about iPhone 3G.

Regarding moving people over, I'd say that if Apple can increase their productions numbers, sales numbers, and drop another $50-$100 off the purchase price, they'll move people from the iPod Touch to iPhones just by increasing the price gap (along with also upping the memory to equal the iPod Touch).

Also, regarding the Blackberry bragging rights...kudos to them. If they have to give one away, I'd hate to see the effects on their margins. If they are not subsidizing as well as Apple, their margins have to take quite a hit. At that rate...

Someone's comment about seasonality, and the likely upcoming June launch of a new model is a fair consideration too.
  • Reply 112 of 166
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I guess you missed the subtle part. I wouldn't want a big ugly flag-waving campaign built around this notion. Apple is masterful at making its message disarmingly funny without being mean spirited. Can't you just see it? "Hi, I'm an iPhone." "And I'm a Blackberry." I won't even go to the RIM job jokes . . . . Okay, contest: cast the two actors to play the two devices. Anyone . . . ?

• Reply 113 of 166
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randythot View Post

Regarding moving people over, I'd say that if Apple can increase their productions numbers, sales numbers, and drop another $50-$100 off the purchase price, they'll move people from the iPod Touch to iPhones just by increasing the price gap (along with also upping the memory to equal the iPod Touch).

easy. just price the iPhone what it's worth in reality, about $100 more than the iPod Touch. and of course, sell it unlocked through your usual channels. then, only then will people move away from the iPod.
  • Reply 114 of 166
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Is it this Blackberry news that has AAPL up almost four bucks (USD) today?
  • Reply 115 of 166
    Quote:

Saying you are American in context to the USA is not "claiming the 'whole two continents as your own." It's like when I someone says they are from Georgia or from The City.

Ummm... no. Both are Georgia. It's not America. It's the United States OF America. It's like the difference between Assistant Regional Manager and Assistant to the Regional Manager.

[CENTER][/CENTER]

/threadjacking
  • Reply 116 of 166
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Thanks for picking up the challenge! Either one would make a fine Blackberry personification. Now we need an iPhone. Should wear designer sunglasses instead of earmuffs. Paris Hilton? Oh wait, acting is involved.
  • Reply 117 of 166
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Just for the record, this is quite inaccurate.

First, there is hardly an iPhone advertisement every hour. Secondly, the iPhone advertisements are from Apple only and are the same ones, shown with the same frequency as all the others shown around the world.

The *carriers* in Canada, don't advertise the iPhone at all. Period. None.

All the carrier phone commercials are for the Blackberry or similar phones. This includes Rogers and fido who actually carry the iPhone as well as all the other carriers that only carry the Blackberry.

I don't know about other countries, but in Canada at least, the iPhone is not promoted by the carriers and the amount of Blackberry commercials far outweigh the iPhone commercials by a factor of six or eight to one IMO.

That is your opinion. I see the Ads a lot. I watch a lot of TV.
  • Reply 118 of 166
    Quote:

Ummm... no. Both are Georgia. It's not America. It's the United States OF America. It's like the difference between Assistant Regional Manager and Assistant to the Regional Manager.

You claimed that by not specifying that Americans of the USA are claiming that they own both continents. By your argument, if there is another place with that same name and you don't specify which one you are claiming all of them. Again, by your own logic, saying that I'm from The United States is also wrong as there are numerous countries with states that are united. I guess every time I say I'm the US I mean I'm from all those countries with states, too. The idea that you haven't heard of a colloquial term is a bit upsetting.

PS: Why remove the name of the person you are replying to?
  • Reply 119 of 166
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm finding that there is a growing number of Central Americans that are being taught or choosing to believe that Central America is not part of North America.

That's because it's not.

There is North, Central, and South- Americas.

What planet are you from, Klaatu?
  • Reply 120 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's because it's not.

There is North, Central, and South Americas.

What planet are you from, Klatuu?

As usual, Teckstud doesn't have the faintest clue about anything. Doesn't even know how many continents their are or that Central America is a subset of the North American land mass.