Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.7, Safari 3.2.3 & 4.0 beta update

Comments

• Reply 81 of 145
    same here

Quote:
    Originally Posted by physics View Post

I'm not able to download the update, as I get an error message about 2MB into the DL about a corrupted digital signature and the fact that it can't be saved. I have 10.5.6 that has been running fine with no problems so far. I was also getting a reported 4-7 hours DL time after having gone through software update. Should I contact Apple customer support on this issue?

• Reply 82 of 145
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tyrihans View Post

Cannot install OS update (10.5.7) because Software Update is not able to identify Apple (checksum error) as the originator

???

I can't download/install it either.

The update "Mac OS X Update" can't be saved.

The digital signature for this package is incorrect. The package may have been tampered with or corrupted since being signed by "Apple".

I restarted a couple of times, and still get the same error every time. Never had any issues with updates before.

Oh well, I guess I'll wait.
  • Reply 83 of 145
    jasonq13jasonq13 Posts: 35member
    I think 10.5.7's fixed the issue with the Microsoft Office 2008's toolbox moving to another Space and not returning to the Space with the document.
  • Reply 84 of 145
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I had this problem, too. If you have a personalized sound that is not on the list the sound won't always play.

I have a personalized "New Mail" sound not on the default list. I saw a few posts about the sound not playing; so I sent myself an e-mail and it didn't play. It should either play every time or never.

Actually, the sound did play, but very faintly. So, I tried to figure out what the problem was. I converted the sound file from an mp3 to an aif. That didn't help.

Then, I noticed a mismatched setting for Sound Preferences in my SoundSource menu bar settings in which my Output was set for Speakers, but my System Volume was set for headphones. I changed the System Volume to Speakers and my personalized sound file works for new mail. Once I had the two settings matched, it would not allow me to mismatch the settings for the below picture:

SoundSource is a menu bar item that allows one to adjust Sound Preferences from the menu bar without needing to access System Preferences.
  • Reply 85 of 145
    dinopoopdinopoop Posts: 1member
    Anybody else notice that the optimization settings are back in the menubar battery icon? YAY!
  • Reply 86 of 145
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Also, I downloaded the larger Combo Update file from:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/M...7_Combo_Update

Then, I rebooted into Safe Mode by holding the Shift key during reboot. After the boot into Safe Mode, the Mac has limited items running, no wi-fi, and, from what I understand, is the best status in which OS installations should be performed.

After the installation and auto-reboot, everything seems as it should (except for the new mail sound that I explained in my previous post above).

Then, I downloaded the new Safari 4 Beta update from:

http://www.apple.com/safari/

and I just installed it without needing to reboot into Safe Mode.

Everything seems fine.
  • Reply 87 of 145
    danvid36danvid36 Posts: 80member
    No problems here with my Hack Pro...
  • Reply 88 of 145
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physics View Post

I'm not able to download the update, as I get an error message about 2MB into the DL about a corrupted digital signature and the fact that it can't be saved. I have 10.5.6 that has been running fine with no problems so far. I was also getting a reported 4-7 hours DL time after having gone through software update. Should I contact Apple customer support on this issue?

Didn't have the same long download time, but got the same "corrupted digital signature" error twice. Still have 10.5.6. Guess I'll wait a few days; doesn't look like I was the only one to get this error.
  • Reply 89 of 145
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 706member
    Used Software update, fist for 10.5.7 & HP drivers, then Safari beta.

Ran all the new stuff thru Monolingual.

Snappier? Perhaps.
  • Reply 90 of 145
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Warning - If you use VideoBox, Safari will be completely disabled after installing this update. You'll need to remove the tastyapps SIMBL plug in to get it to get Safari up and running again.

I also had separate issues with my G5 iMac, which shut down after the install reboot and had to be booted manually twice before it was functional. Seems to be working otherwise.
  • Reply 91 of 145
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Wow, this is a nice surprise. Downloading now. Probably should have backed-up first but...I'm a risk taker.
  • Reply 92 of 145
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

It's just something around 220 MB for me. The lag when opening multiple tabs within Safari 4 seems to have gone, but I've only installed 10.5.7 for just a few minutes.

Yeah, that bugged me a lot. Glad to hear that's fixed.
  • Reply 93 of 145
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday released Mac OS X 10.5.7, a recommended update for all Mac OS X 10.5.x Leopard users that includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of Macs. Separately, the company released Safari 3.2.3, an update to Safari 4.0 beta and security updates for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Mac OS X 10.5.7

The Mac OS X 10.5.7 client software is available as a 442MB delta download for Macs running Mac OS X 10.5.6 and as a 729MB combo update for Macs running earlier versions of the Leopard operating system. A list of specific enhancements included in the release follows:

GeneralIncludes latest security fixes.Includes additional RAW image support for several third-party camerasImproves performance of video playback and cursor movements for recent Macs with NVIDIA graphicsResolves an issue with Dvorak keyboard layout in Mac OS X 10.5.6Improves the reliability and accuracy of Unit Converter, Stocks, Weather and Movies Dashboard widgetsAddresses a situation that may cause issues when logging into GmailImproves reliability when syncing contacts with Yahoo!Expansion Slot Utility for Mac Pro now reports the correct PCIe slot configurationImproves network performance when connected to certain Ethernet switches that have Flow Control enabledImproves stability for network home directories hosted by Mac OS X Server v10.4Improves Finder search results for network volumes that may not support Spotlight searching, such as Mac OS X Server v10.4, Time Capsule, and third-party AFP serversIncludes several improvements to Directory Service and Client Management, which are described in the About Mac OS X Server 10.5.7 Update articleiCal

Improves overall reliability with CalDavImproves reliability when automatically syncing with MobileMeMail

Addresses reliability and sync issues with NotesAddresses an issue that may cause the BCC field to populate incorrectly when redirecting a message from the Sent mailboxParental Controls

Improves consistency with Parental Controls and application restrictionsAddresses an issue in which time limits may not work properly with full-screen games and Fast User SwitchingPrinting

Resolves an issue that may cause certain third-party printers to print to the incorrect paper trayNon-admin user accounts can now be allowed to add and remove printers by enabling Parental Controls and selecting "Can administer printers"Includes other printing reliability and stability improvements

Mac OS X Server 10.5.7

Mac OS X Server 10.5.7 is available as a 452MB download for servers running 10.5.6 Server and a 951MB download for those running earlier versions of Leopard server. A specific list of enhancements is available here.

Safari 4.0 beta 1 (second update)

Readers will recall that Safari 4.0 beta 1 failed to function with betas of Mac OS X 10.5.7 while it was under development. Therefore Apple has quietly updated its Safari 4.0 public beta with a new version supporting -- as well as requiring -- Mac OS X 10.5.7.

The new beta also addresses 3 security issues with the Safari 4.0 beta 1, including vulnerabilities with the browser's URL input validation, a heap buffer overflow problem with libxml, and a memory corruption issue in WebKit's handling

of SVGList objects.

Safari 3.2.3

Separately, Apple on Tuesday also released Safari 3.2.3, which addresses security issues with the web browser. The update is available as a 40MB download for Mac OS X 10.5.x Leopard, a 26.29MB download for Mac OS X 10.4.x Tiger, and a 19.69 download for Windows XP and Vista.

Tiger Security Updates

For users running Mac OS X 10.4.X Tiger, Apple also released Security Update 2009-002. It's available as a 165MB download for Intel Macs, a 75MB download for PowerPC Macs, and a 203MB download for all Mac OS X Tiger servers.

download size 286mb time taken 11 mins. no issues with installation. application icons got bit sharper! (or i am over excited) now i need the 10.6

Apple where is the 10.6 and NetBook
  • Reply 94 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitro View Post

download size 286mb time taken 11 mins. no issues with installation. application icons got bit sharper! (or i am over excited) now i need the 10.6

Apple where is the 10.6 and NetBook

I don't think their sharper now, they either all gained drop shadows on the dock or I never noticed them previously having icon shadows.
  • Reply 95 of 145
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm going to wait on this one.

Let the guinea pigs come forth!

Oink Oink! I am downloading now.
  • Reply 96 of 145
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    I downloaded the 286MB file for my MacBook Air in about 12-13 minutes. Installed, booted up, works fine first-try. No system surprises so far. I'll give it a good run-through at the office tomorrow.
  • Reply 97 of 145
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JasonQ13 View Post

I think 10.5.7's fixed the issue with the Microsoft Office 2008's toolbox moving to another Space and not returning to the Space with the document.

Yes! Thank you (and Apple) so much! That freaking bug had bothered me for ages D:
  • Reply 98 of 145
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Upgraded my MBA... will wait on my other machines to make sure all apps work right for crucial projects.

Safari 4 Beta is actually now a usable browser; it used to be so slow I could almost run to the library faster.
  • Reply 99 of 145
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

I updated my Macbook through regular automatic updates. It downloaded 449 MB delta installed, rebooted and it seems to run fine.

My early 2008 Mac Pro would not do automatic update (it said it needed only 286 MB delta even though it and Macbook are clone copies of each other). I have attempted the update at least 5 times.

Each time it was going slow and said that the file could not be saved because it is corrupted or tampered with (basically it failed the checksum test).

So, I downloaded the combo update. Installed it (it took 6 times as long to install as the Macbook), and finally said I needed to restart. I said ok, and then it went into infinite loop. It would display the blue shutdown screen and progress bar, then it would flash, the progress bar would disappear and mouse pointer briefly would show up, then it would repeat it all.

I waited good 10 min, then manually shut down the computer. Started again, and it went through the boot cycle twice, and finally came up with the login screen. But then it rebooted again.

It scared the crap out of me, I thought I would have to rebuild it from scratch. It finally booted again and I am able to login. The console log shows a lot of errors and one of them relating to the login screen being wrong version 0, and that it can't talk to it as a consequence.

Makes me wonder if anyone ever tested this crap on this hardware.

Download the Combo updater. This should fix any problems you have.
  • Reply 100 of 145
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Updated using the Combo updater on my 24" iMac 3.06 (2008)

Took 4 minutes to download, 7 to install. All working well. Safari 4 seems unchanged, it was always lightning fast for me.