Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.7, Safari 3.2.3 & 4.0 beta update

Comments

• Reply 121 of 145
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

PRETTY HUGE HUGE HUGE BUG... in that I have never witnessed this before.

My system, connected to external hard drive with 10.5.6 and 10.4 on it, bootable target disks.

Anyway, had open a .text edit document from 10.5.6 opened on 10.5.7 desk top. Tried to SAVE, document could NOT BE SAVED..... on 10.5.6 hard drive, fine saving on 10.5.7 desktop.

Not sure if this affects all types of files. WOW.

Will advise

WOW - worse than I thought, on some documents, like PAGES, they won't even open on 10.5.7.

This is HUGE, this is bad bad news I would update the OS, but I have tiger on one partition for a REASON.

Those documents won't open either.

How can this be?!?!?!

Can someone confirm?
  • Reply 122 of 145
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

PRETTY HUGE HUGE HUGE BUG... in that I have never witnessed this before.

My system, connected to external hard drive with 10.5.6 and 10.4 on it, bootable target disks.

Anyway, had open a .text edit document from 10.5.6 opened on 10.5.7 desk top. Tried to SAVE, document could NOT BE SAVED..... on 10.5.6 hard drive, fine saving on 10.5.7 desktop.

Not sure if this affects all types of files. WOW.

Will advise

did you check to see if in 10.5.7 you have it set to ignore permissions on that drive. Probably that is set on 10.5.6, but not vice versa & that is why the inconsistency.
  • Reply 123 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Then why are you pooooosting.

• Reply 124 of 145
    mrodmrod Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Same problem for me, too, on my new mini after using the Combo update. Software Update kept stalling and failing which prompted me to go get the full download. After installation and getting this loop preventing shutdown, I finally did the forced shut down with a manual reboot. I'm tempted to re-install the Combo update just to be sure something didn't fail along the way (and not readily detectable) which threw the mini into this loop preventing the normal shutdown.

I have three machines. The two I didn't cleanly boot before installing the Combo update hung in the same way. The machine I cleanly booted before the install worked.

So, my advice is to reboot just before installing the update.
  • Reply 125 of 145
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrod View Post

I have three machines. The two I didn't cleanly boot before installing the Combo update hung in the same way. The machine I cleanly booted before the install worked.

So, my advice is to reboot just before installing the update.

Thanks for the observation, good to know. I think I may run the combo update one more time as well.
  • Reply 126 of 145
    I rebooted my machine into safe mode (hold shift on startup) to install the second time, it seemed to work better that way. The first time I had the loop of different blue shaded screens...

Except bluetooth seems to have dissappeared. I have a Santa Rosa MBP, and the bluetooth was finicky before the update, but now it's just gone. Any ideas on how to get it back? System Profiler shows a bluetooth entry (with no information available), it's no longer visible in System Prefs, and the bluetooth.plist file is gone.
  • Reply 127 of 145
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    Folks,

i updated to the latest using the "software update" from the "apple Logo" --update size 286MB. then safari 4 update ~30MB. is there anything else i need to do i.e. disk verification etc..???

thanks in advance...
  • Reply 128 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitro View Post

Folks,

i updated to the latest using the "software update" from the "apple Logo" --update size 286MB. then safari 4 update ~30MB. is there anything else i need to do i.e. disk verification etc..???

thanks in advance...

It's a good idea to do a repair of disk permissions after updates.
  • Reply 129 of 145
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sgt Zeppelin View Post

thank you -- i will cross my fingers while doing it
  • Reply 130 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Remember when Leopard came out and it didn't have the British Pound Sterling in the list?

Yeah, funny... and yet it's sti££ there and worth£ess to boot
  • Reply 131 of 145
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

has actually been fixed. And then what exactly was fixed? Only 10.5.7 incompatibilities?

Thanks for the details. More to the point, download WebKit nightly to see if those details continue to haunt you.
  • Reply 132 of 145
    10.5.7 installed without a hitch on my Powerbook G4 15" 1.5Ghz.
  • Reply 133 of 145
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

And a better one to run "fsck -fy" after having rebooted in single-user mode, before applying the update. Just to make sure that the hard drive structure has no problems.
  • Reply 134 of 145
    Quote:

Hey Zep,

I was gonna mention,

way earlier today,

just a reminder,

don't we do "Permissions",

and any other disk repairs we are capable of, BEFORE this sort of update?

Cool to do it after.... as well.

See ya,

I think I'll do that now!!!

P

ASB
  • Reply 135 of 145
    le studiosle studios Posts: 204member
    Actually I notice one thing different. I been keeping Activity Monitor on my Dashboard open to memory usage since I had got a 4GB DDR3 installed in a 2009 Mac mini and the same apps is not consuming as much memory but one key thing is previous used app that used a lot of memory when the app is closed and it returns the memory allocation back to almost full depending on apps. I have 9,570 photos in iPhoto '09. between that and iTunes that's my main used app and yeah I occasionally use iMovie but it been a couple of weeks since my last edit or preview. Before my memory allocation didn't return it it was usually I had to restart the Mac to get almost a 95% Green Pie Chart Diagram. It is different, the New Beta 2 of Safari 4 is way faster! If this is a prelude to Snow Leopard then I can't wait!
  • Reply 136 of 145
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Thanks for the details. More to the point, download WebKit nightly to see if those details continue to haunt you.

Glad to enlighten on. Precisely, I'm not happy with tab titles of RSS feeds, being grouped in folders. May I hope this is in nightly WebKit builds?
  • Reply 137 of 145
    Quote:

Glad to enlighten on. Precisely, I'm not happy with tab titles of RSS feeds, being grouped in folders. May I hope this is in nightly WebKit builds?

I'm with you on the new look being less than pleasing to the eye with that change.

At the very least, we should be given the option of two looks.

The new look is still in the WebKit nightly.
  • Reply 138 of 145
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'm with you on the new look being less than pleasing to the eye with that change.

At the very least, we should be given the option of two looks.

The new look is still in the WebKit nightly.

I'm not sure you understand.

It's not tabs on the top feature which irritates my eyes. Tabs are absolutely perfect where they are now in Mac OS.

Scenario:
    1. Bookmark RSS feed;

2. Create bookmark folder, name it "Stupid bookmark folder"

3. Put the feed bookmark in that folder; put regular url bookmarks there as well

4. Configure Safari to open everything in "Stupid bookmark folder" at startup;

5. When the folder is opened the title of RSS tab is "Stupid bookmark folder" and not the title of the feed;

This is clearly an issue. But I doubt seriously this is part of WebKit.
  • Reply 139 of 145
    wow my downloading speed was lightning fast too @ 6mb/s !!!!

just 53s to download the update
  • Reply 140 of 145
    Quote:

I'm not sure you understand.

It's not tabs on the top feature which irritates my eyes. Tabs are absolutely perfect where they are now in Mac OS.

Scenario:
    1. Bookmark RSS feed;

2. Create bookmark folder, name it "Stupid bookmark folder"

3. Put the feed bookmark in that folder; put regular url bookmarks there as well

4. Configure Safari to open everything in "Stupid bookmark folder" at startup;

5. When the folder is opened the title of RSS tab is "Stupid bookmark folder" and not the title of the feed;

This is clearly an issue. But I doubt seriously this is part of WebKit.

Yes it's part of WebKit. But if that's your complaint try bookmarking useful tags and not Stupid Bookmark Folder as one expects an entire Folder to be an abstraction to a group of items/files and not to gleen off the first indexed item --which can change, based upon it's sorting preference--thus the conundrum of what to name it other than a meta name you assign.

Unless they make AppKit aware of the live changes that may occur in that listing [adding and removing items that precede the index's first item that you expected to be the name of the Bookmark folder] it seems a pointless amount of overhead to add.

It just seems pointless to have AppKit make a special case for Bookmark folders via WebKit subclassing AppKit to populate a listing and assign the name of that listing to be the first indexed item's name gleened from the title entity.