Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.7, Safari 3.2.3 & 4.0 beta update

Comments

• Reply 101 of 145
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Delta update through Software Update worked. On 10.5.7 now. Interestingly, 10.5.6 was downloading the 10.5.7 update and wanted to download 200MB+ of Canon drivers (I recently installed a Canon printer driver from a downloaded file). Now it's not asking to download the Canon drivers.

Hmm...

Other than that bit of interesting news, it's snappier! At least psychologically.
  • Reply 102 of 145
    stashmanstashman Posts: 90member
    So the currency converter may actually work now?

I will miss £1 = $52.652 (USD)
  • Reply 103 of 145
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Installed and running without any incidents so far on a Mac Pro running FCPro Studio2.
  • Reply 104 of 145
    One "incident" ... My headphones were plugged in all the time before and during the update. Then upon restart, opened iTunes, BOOM! literally, almost blew my ears off. For some reason the volume setting (global sound volume, not the iTunes volume) was turned way up.

Just a warning for y'all. Could be related to the update, could be a minor quirk. I think my hearing will survive, though...?!!
  • Reply 105 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Installed and running without any incidents so far on a Mac Pro running FCPro Studio2.

Mac Pro and FCS2... Updating immediately to 10.5.7... Ah, you Sir, are a brave soul.
  • Reply 106 of 145
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Upgraded my MBA... will wait on my other machines to make sure all apps work right for crucial projects.

Safari 4 Beta is actually now a usable browser; it used to be so slow I could almost run to the library faster.

That is so weird, Safari 4 Beta has been very fast for me on Mac Pro. I wonder what the difference in our set up is?
  • Reply 107 of 145
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    has actually been fixed. And then what exactly was fixed? Only 10.5.7 incompatibilities?
  • Reply 108 of 145
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Download the Combo updater. This should fix any problems you have.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

I updated my Macbook through regular automatic updates. It downloaded 449 MB delta installed, rebooted and it seems to run fine.

My early 2008 Mac Pro would not do automatic update (it said it needed only 286 MB delta even though it and Macbook are clone copies of each other). I have attempted the update at least 5 times.

Each time it was going slow and said that the file could not be saved because it is corrupted or tampered with (basically it failed the checksum test).

So, I downloaded the combo update. Installed it (it took 6 times as long to install as the Macbook), and finally said I needed to restart. I said ok, and then it went into infinite loop. It would display the blue shutdown screen and progress bar, then it would flash, the progress bar would disappear and mouse pointer briefly would show up, then it would repeat it all.

I waited good 10 min, then manually shut down the computer. Started again, and it went through the boot cycle twice, and finally came up with the login screen. But then it rebooted again.

It scared the crap out of me, I thought I would have to rebuild it from scratch. It finally booted again and I am able to login. The console log shows a lot of errors and one of them relating to the login screen being wrong version 0, and that it can't talk to it as a consequence.

Makes me wonder if anyone ever tested this crap on this hardware.

Same problem for me, too, on my new mini after using the Combo update. Software Update kept stalling and failing which prompted me to go get the full download. After installation and getting this loop preventing shutdown, I finally did the forced shut down with a manual reboot. I'm tempted to re-install the Combo update just to be sure something didn't fail along the way (and not readily detectable) which threw the mini into this loop preventing the normal shutdown.
  • Reply 109 of 145
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stashman View Post

So the currency converter may actually work now?

I will miss £1 = $52.652 (USD)

We will miss the throngs of British tourists lured here by this!
  • Reply 110 of 145
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Safari runs snappy now- but for how long?
  • Reply 111 of 145
    danacamerondanacameron Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Not for me it didn't.

Software Update didn't replace the bulb for me either, but the Combo Updater did.
  • Reply 112 of 145
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrod View Post

10.5.7's out. Get it while it's hot! :-)

Noticed on one game, xplane flight sim, colors if clouds a ban of rainbow lines instead if clouds. Will test same game on 10.5.6, external start up boot drive. Wire if wisdom, either wait a week I'd always have a clone if your os backed up on another hard driver, partition. What dies it fix? Airport I hope. Gate idle= loss connection it FireWire VERY HIGH END audio recording interface going to sleep too. Hope those are fixed.
  • Reply 113 of 145
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Same problem for me, too, on my new mini after using the Combo update. Software Update kept stalling and failing which prompted me to go get the full download. After installation and getting this loop preventing shutdown, I finally did the forced shut down with a manual reboot. I'm tempted to re-install the Combo update just to be sure something didn't fail along the way (and not readily detectable) which threw the mini into this loop preventing the normal shutdown.

I must say that I had a fairly similar nightmarish experience on my Mac Pro. I got stuck in the blue screen of death, had to manually interrupt the power etc. and that was on the combo update. I used the regular updater on my work computer and that went fine.

Quite shocking though. I've rarely had *any* problems installing Apple updates and I usually do it at least once or twice a week in my job. This has to be the rockiest update in a long long time.

If I wasn't as experienced, I would have totally freaked at a couple of points. I'm sure there are some scared and angry Apple owners out there this morning.
  • Reply 114 of 145
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Software Update didn't replace the bulb for me either, but the Combo Updater did.

Yeah, I used the combo updater on my home computer.
  • Reply 115 of 145
    call me crazy, but i think i've discovered a new feature: quicklook now reads .flv files! also, the finder displays a preview for them on the desktop or in a folder. (previously, they displayed as generic, white documents.)

sweet!
  • Reply 116 of 145
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

then, I rebooted into Safe Mode by holding the Shift key during reboot. After the boot into Safe Mode, the Mac has limited items running, no wi-fi, and, from what I understand, is the best status in which OS installations should be performed.

Not true....unless you are running programs (haxies) that hack Mac OS X, which are the cause of almost all incompatibilities with software updates. I don't use those programs and I have never had a problem with an update, ever.
  • Reply 117 of 145
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Yeah, I used the combo updater on my home computer.

I updated via Software Update, but noticed some things had not changed as noted by others here in these comments. I then ran the Combo Update from the support link and now everything is where it should be.

Besides, it's much snappier!
  • Reply 118 of 145
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Delta update through Software Update worked. On 10.5.7 now. Interestingly, 10.5.6 was downloading the 10.5.7 update and wanted to download 200MB+ of Canon drivers (I recently installed a Canon printer driver from a downloaded file). Now it's not asking to download the Canon drivers.

Hmm...

Other than that bit of interesting news, it's snappier! At least psychologically.

Yeah, I'm noticing some definite graphical speed improvements, especially with higher res. I have the 13" unibody attached to a 21" screen at 1680x1050. Graphics before were not terrible, but not completely smooth. Now, very smooth, even when moving a window around like this one.

10.5.6 broke graphics & power management for me, so far 10.5.7 is working but this will take some time to prove. The update for me was not super smooth. I installed combo updater on both my personal laptop & on our OS X Server. Both had to be powered off because it got stuck at the logout right before rebooting to install updates. Then both booted up, rebooted, booted up, rebooted, 3 times in a row. But all is fine now & no noticeable quirks.
  • Reply 119 of 145
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    PRETTY HUGE HUGE HUGE BUG... in that I have never witnessed this before.

My system, connected to external hard drive with 10.5.6 and 10.4 on it, bootable target disks.

Anyway, had open a .text edit document from 10.5.6 opened on 10.5.7 desk top. Tried to SAVE, document could NOT BE SAVED..... on 10.5.6 hard drive, fine saving on 10.5.7 desktop.

Not sure if this affects all types of files. WOW.

Will advise
  • Reply 120 of 145
    hngfrhngfr Posts: 72member
    downloaded and installed after running disk utility,

no problems, took two start up chimes and the blue screen was up for a few seconds,

i have noticed my widgets are much "snappier"