iPhone rival Palm Pre to sell for $199 after rebate on June 6th

1161718192022»

Comments

• Reply 421 of 429
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macagent View Post

It is possible that Palm's Pre would become a cheaper alternative to Apple's iPhone, just like Microsoft's Windows smartphone.

So far, that is not the case. Best Buy has listed the retail cost for the device as $850, which still means it?s locked to Sprint and probably means that you still can?t use a SERO plan with it since they?ve seem to locked that out, regardless of the how you purchased the device.

On top of that, They are charging the same as Apple charges for the 8GB device now, but if Flash has come down enough in price we may see a 16GB iPhone as standard for that price, especially if Apple feels at all threatened. There is some evidence to suggest that Apple upped the capacity of the Nano to match the Zune awhile back.

If the Pre fails, Palm may have no alternative but to license WebOS to other device makers. Better than WinMo, that is for sure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Curious of: how exactly is the user supposed to scroll screens by that small triangle at the bottom? Are they sure it's convenient?

You use emoticons like crazy so it?s hard to tell what you are joking about and what you are serious about, but assuming that your comment above was not in jest the Pre uses jesture-based controls like the iPhone. The small arrow pointing down is merely indicating that there are other options below if you were to flick the page up.
  • Reply 422 of 429
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You use emoticons like crazy so it’s hard to tell what you are joking about and what you are serious about, but assuming that your comment above was not in jest the Pre uses jesture-based controls like the iPhone. The small arrow pointing down is merely indicating that there are other options below if you were to flick the page up.

You're absolutely correct. I was jeering Pre. And in general, I'm always mocking at something. There're very few my posts, which are serious.

Thank you, I see it clearer now (this is rare serious post).

P.S. I'm always serious when I thank people.
  • Reply 423 of 429
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:

PS: Have you not seen a single US political campaign ad? They go for the jugular! They will take anything out of context and are still within their right to use it so long as it is technically truthful. It?s quite obscene, actually.

The political Ads in this country are mild compared to what is seen elsewhere.
  • Reply 424 of 429
    Quote:

If the Pre fails, Palm may have no alternative but to license WebOS to other device makers. Better than WinMo, that is for sure.

Given that WebOS is one of the main features of the Pre, if not the main feature, if it fails, it will be mostly because of WebOS. Considering that, what company would want to license it?
  • Reply 425 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The political Ads in this country are mild compared to what is seen elsewhere.

Crazy! I can?t even stand the campaigns we have so I can?t imagine what other countries do.
  • Reply 426 of 429
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

Crazy! I can?t even stand the campaigns we have so I can?t imagine what other countries do.

In ads? Nothing much. There're debates for obscenities.
  • Reply 427 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Given that WebOS is one of the main features of the Pre, if not the main feature, if it fails, it will be mostly because of WebOS. Considering that, what company would want to license it?

I think there are some other factors to consider with Palm. For starters, there is a potential lingering lawsuit over the IP they used, namely the capacitance touchscreen and gesturing. Besides that, if the Pre itself fails because Palm can’t afford to R&D the complete widget they still have what looks like a quality, modern, lightweight mobile OS to license. At the very least, I’d think they would be sell WebOS to another mobile vendor. It may even work out well for a company like HTC or Nokia. Symbian and WinMo aren’t scaling up well these days, this may be what is needed alongside the other options.

Interesting read…
  • Reply 428 of 429
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Curious of: how exactly is the user supposed to scroll screens by that small triangle at the bottom? Are they sure it's convenient?

Being pleased and surprised by: They develop on Mac. So, Mac becomes the standard in the area of mobile development.

Well scrolling will be a flick of the finger. If you mean how will they view notifications, I think it'll be fine. I can easily click smaller things on my wm phone.

What gives you the notion that Mac is the standard in the area of mobile development? The videos come from a guy with a mac, big deal. The developer's kit was made for osx, windows, and linux.
  • Reply 429 of 429
    Quote:

I think there are some other factors to consider with Palm. For starters, there is a potential lingering lawsuit over the IP they used, namely the capacitance touchscreen and gesturing. Besides that, if the Pre itself fails because Palm can?t afford to R&D the complete widget they still have what looks like a quality, modern, lightweight mobile OS to license. At the very least, I?d think they would be sell WebOS to another mobile vendor. It may even work out well for a company like HTC or Nokia. Symbian and WinMo aren?t scaling up well these days, this may be what is needed alongside the other options.

Interesting read?

It's interesting. But there is nothing that article that we haven't known for months to years. It doesn't give a single reason why the Pre will sell. It hardly even mentions WebOS. Actually, they didn't mention WebOS at all in there. They just said that Palm needed a new OS.

But I really have to disagree with you here.

I said it in my last post, and I'll say it again.

WebOS is the main feature of the Pre. If the Pre fails, or doesn't do as well as it needs to do, the main reason given will be the failure of WebOS. The physical part of the phone is obviously important, but it's the OS that matters the most.

So if the phone has poorer sales than hoped for, and the OS doesn't live up to its pre-market hype, not one will want it.

There is no point in licensing a failed OS. And a failed OS with nothing going for it, such as a successful store, which it won't have if developers see it isn't going anywhere.

In that case, the OS is dead.

I don't know why you think other companies will be in such a hurry to license a dead OS.

And, by the way, Nokia is moving to Linux, and away from Symbian.

Win mobile needs a major overhaul. The one thing it's got going for itself it is its owner, MS. They will, if they feel they have to, pour as much money into it as they need. We don't really know what they're doing with 7, because it's been pushed back so much. But some believe it's to make it more iPhone-like. If so, and it's done well enough, it may even gain some marketshare back.