Last-minute rumor: iPhone 3GS with longer battery life at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 61 of 162
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by metavoy View Post

While I like Gruber, he has proven to be quite unreliable in his predictions....

Has he? My impression is that he has a pretty good track record, although I could be wrong.
  • Reply 62 of 162
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skate71290 View Post

Check this link:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment....5&d=1244312440

If they release this tomorrow i will run 20 miles to my nearest Apple Store !!!

That would be nice.
  • Reply 63 of 162
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

You guys do realise he said that was its CODENAME! Not its product name.

Usually codenames are something so people don't know what you're talking about, e.g. "Nehalem." It would be unusual if iPhone 3GS was the codename.
  • Reply 64 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by over View Post

I'm just sick that this story/forum thread is at the top of Google News.

I really wish I believed that Hell existed, because that's the appropriate place for people who think what Apple does is newsworthy.

Did you read the article before posting?

If so, you think it's newsworthy.

If not, why complain here? Complain to Google.
  • Reply 65 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

BTW I will personally crap in my pants if Apple actually says, here is the all new, all exiting, iPhone 3GS ... 3G..S...Wha?

That nomenclature makes no sense. I think it's just a codename at this stage. iPhone 3G Video or iPhone Video makes more sense.

If they are keeping the current iPhone 3G 8GB, then, "Would you like a iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS?" makes no sense in terms of marketing/ sales/ etc. Too confusing.

Like, someone walks in to an Apple Store, says, "Hi, I'd like iPhone 3Gs"... "Er, madamé, do you mean a few iPhone 3G units, or the new iPhone 3GS?"... "I told you, iPhone 3Gs...!!! WTF"

Anyway my prediction is 50% chance on front-facing camera.

Why are people getting upset about it? It's just a designation. One letter. It's not even on the front of the phone.
  • Reply 66 of 162
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Sounds like the hardware will be much the same albeit more RAM options and maybe a faster processor.

Honestly, after 2 years I'm looking for something fresh in design. I suppose there's not much that can be done when the entire face of the phone is a screen. How about some artwork on the back eh?

What would be neat (wink wink) is if a front facing camera were behind the screen.
  • Reply 67 of 162
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:

Check this link:

I'd be coming from 500 miles away and beat you there! That is freaking awesome!!! AWESOME!!!
  • Reply 68 of 162
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

FINALLY!

VIDEO

Something every phone has been able to do since 2005.

How do you do video on a Nokia 1100/1101?

Does it have a detachable camera?

Note:- This is the worlds largest selling phone with over 200 million sold.
  • Reply 69 of 162
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Sounds like the hardware will be much the same albeit more RAM options and maybe a faster processor.

Honestly, after 2 years I'm looking for something fresh in design. I suppose there's not much that can be done when the entire face of the phone is a screen. How about some artwork on the back eh?

There should be a small redesign. The ear speaker may shift upwards, there's supposed to be a matte back for better grip and style, and no metal bezel. That's what the rumours are anyways...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

What would be neat (wink wink) is if a front facing camera were behind the screen.

DEFINITELY. If there is a front-facing camera it will not be in a "hole". It should be discretely behind the glass like the iSight cameras.

Imagine though, if the REGULAR back camera HAD NO "HOLE" but that would mean a glass back.
  • Reply 70 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

I'd be coming from 500 miles away and beat you there! That is freaking awesome!!! AWESOME!!!

You'll have to climb over my dead, trampled body first...!!! OH THE INSANITY.
  • Reply 71 of 162
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Battery life is frankly the only feature, which may have appeal for serious iPhone admirers. However, we're quite uncertain about products, which are not recommended by Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 72 of 162
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

We expect that each OS revision will be a little more power efficient (thought 15-20% won?t liekyl happen with just an OS update), but this is about the new iPhone hardware.

I hope I am wrong but this could be the biggest WWDC yawn ever.
  • Reply 73 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

I hope I am wrong but this could be the biggest WWDC yawn ever.

I might be tempted to flush an Apple product down the toilet in rage if new iPhones are NOT announced.
  • Reply 74 of 162
    bareddbaredd Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Check this link:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

You'll have to climb over my dead, trampled body first...!!! OH THE INSANITY.

I have got a Lockheed Blackbird SR-71 fuelled and sitting on the runway waiting for if they announce that phone, I may have 5,000 miles to travel but I WILL be there before both of you, and I will have the bays loaded for use of disrupting ANYONE who tries to get there before me! Sadly, the likelihood of that phone being released is less than that of me owning the Blackbird in the first place. But man I LOVE that concept.
  • Reply 75 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

How do you do video on a Nokia 1100/1101?

Does it have a detachable camera?

Note:- This is the worlds largest selling phone with over 200 million sold.

Its called sarcasm. Comprende?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How many of those videos taken on a cell phone are watchable?

Actually you'd be very amazed to see what some of these other PDAs can do. Before the iPhones I had a Sprint 6700 that took great video for just a 1.3MP camera. And I was able to set her on her side for video purposes. The phone too.

Quote:

Check this link:

Beautiful. That would be nice.
  • Reply 76 of 162
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I like Engadgets live updates. Have been using them for years. They are very fast and do it in reverse order so the new stuff is at the top. I also try to find a slower one that have larger, better resolution images and more thorough text of the presentation, too, though Engadget is where I?ll usually reside as they never seem to have server issues.

+1 for Engadget.

Here's the linky: http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/08/p...rom-wwdc-2009/
  • Reply 77 of 162
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:

Check this link:

Wow!

That's so HOT!

It looks so HOT! My head is gonna asplode of all the joy and lust!

Can't wait to get my hands on it.
  • Reply 78 of 162
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    news flash news flash news flash news flash news flash news flash news flash news flash

This just in minutes ago !.The hottest, latest news for all of us news junkies to feed our rumour habit's.

<< Cloud's gather over R I M, may mean bad news for the storm.>>

Of note the fact that there is real quote's in the article make's for a good read. There is no new info at all. Zippo

++++++++++ cut and paste below ++++++++++ http://www.financialpost.com/news-se...tml?id=1673217

Clouds are gathering over Research In Motion Ltd.'s BlackBerry Storm and its other consumer-oriented handsets as the battle over next-generation smartphones heats up this summer.

On Monday, Apple Inc. is widely expected to introduce the next iPhone at its Worldwide Developers Conference in California, while Palm Inc.'s long-awaited Pre, pictured, went on sale in the United States on the weekend. Both the iPhone "Pro" as some have dubbed it, and the Pre are the latest in a new era of handheld do-it-all wireless devices with sleek designs and even sleeker software that interacts effortlessly with the Web. Alongside a slew of smartphones that carry Google Inc.'s touted Android operating system, they're expected to put pressure on sales for RIM's Storm and Curve, the Waterloo, Ont.-based company's top-selling handsets.

Equity analysts and media have been speculating for weeks that Apple will unveil its third version of the wildly successful iPhone at its annual gathering with developers in San Francisco. The Cupertino, Calif.-based company isn't likely to gamble with a winning formula in the iPhone 3G, analysts say. The touchscreen design will remain unchanged, but what's inside will be better, faster and stronger than what predecessors offered.

The new device will boast a beefed-up 3.0 operating system with more memory and a quicker processor making for better responsiveness, said Mike Abramsky, equity analyst at RBC Capital Markets.

Combined with new features like push notification, RBC expects the iPhone to continue to be the top choice for consumers in the United States.

"We see iPhone's superior user experience, further innovations [and] breadth of applications sustaining its leadership position against the pending launches from Android, BlackBerry and Palm," Mr. Abramsky wrote in a note to clients last week.

Apple doubled its share of the global smartphone market to 10% last quarter, while RIM increased its hold to about 20%. The BlackBerry maker, which has become the top-performing smartphone maker in the world as incumbents like Nokia and Motorola continue to lose momentum, will also have to contend with the Pre, which went on sale in the United States on Saturday and is slated for a Canadian launch later this year.

The new device from Palm combines the best from the iPhone and BlackBerry's designs, offering both a touchscreen and slide-out keyboard. The device also boasts WebOS, Palm's new operating system that analysts say is a powerful salvo in the Sunnyvale, Calif.-based company's attempt to outpace Apple and RIM, and now Google. The latter's Android will also put pressure on RIM, analysts say.

Citi Investment Research analyst Jim Suva said the flurry of releases are akin to "shooting the rapids for RIM shareholders." "We expect RIM shares to face trickier waters over the next few weeks."

RIM's response to the growing cavalcade of competition will be a raft of new and improved products of its own. "RIM is expected to launch a broad range of handsets [in the coming year]," Mr. Abramsky said. First will be an updated Curve, which will go on sale in the United States as early as next month, the analyst said. There's also developing hype around a model named "Niagara" by some, or "Tour" to others, which is touted to be an executive-level or enterprise-focused product like the Bold, which will help maintain RIM's grip on corporate users.

Analysts expect the new offerings to keep RIM, which reports financial results June 18, from losing ground in the medium term. "We expect a Tour announcement in the coming months and would use any [share price] weakness around Palm's Pre ramp at Sprint or Apple's development conference to add long positions," wrote Broadpoint AmTech analyst Mark McKechnie in a May 27 note.
  • Reply 79 of 162
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

I would love to see that new design that was posted above, but I don't see the home button being an Apple designed part of it. It just doesn't really look right I guess. I doubt Steve Jobs would have approved of that.

Steve Jobs is retiring today.
  • Reply 80 of 162
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Is it possible that the new iPhone will use integrated solar panels to use the light from LCD? I believe Apple already patent that but is the technology there yet?

They should call it iPhone without any additions.

This will still just be an 'iPhone' but consumers should have easy access to a more detailed model number or name to help diagnostics. I used to spend a lot of time over in Apple's iMac forums and it's a real pain explaining to everyone that their new iMac isn't an 'iMac (Flat Panel)'. Apple must have known when they release the iPhone 3G that it wasn't going to be their only 3G iPhone.

I have often thought that the black area around the iPhone/iPod touch screen would be idea for solar panels - they certainly won't provide power for HD video but who knows after a few minutes in the sun they might allow you to make that one 999 (911) call.

EDIT; Spooling and grammar.