Last-minute rumor: iPhone 3GS with longer battery life at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 121 of 162
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Wow...more battery life. Isn't that already obvious? Don't know why people here get excited. All you do is find reasons to complain about what is eventually released because you rely on rumor sites, and then get upset when either the information officially announced is already known, or the rumor you kept believing in wasn't true.

So can't wait for that.
  • Reply 122 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If you gave someone the choice of the exact same battery with the otion of either having it sealed or replaceable most would choose the latter. SO the issue is not old. The arguement on here to support a sealed battery is just tired. It's strictly a fanboy mentality.

You talked about getting a Pre, if you do get one will you buy a second battery?

With your current phone do you have a second battery?

The sealed battery has pluses,

Smaller design

Doesn't fall out as phone ages.

On my old phone dirt and grim started to corrode the terminals.

Only time battery replacement became an issue was when battery life became 30 min

(Now that the iPhone no longer solders in the battery you can replace it for that reason)
  • Reply 123 of 162
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Why don't you just carry a whole power generator around with you then?

You know, when you get a battery low warning, and you're in the middle of something, it's easier to:

Get the plug-in battery/recharger out of your pocket and plug it in while continuing to do what you were doing, than to:

Get out of the app, or say goodby to whomever you're on the phone with, then;

Turn off your phone and wait for it to close down.

Remove the battery cover.

Take out the old battery.

Get the new battery out.

Put the old battery in your pocket.

Put the new battery in.

Get the cover from wherever you put it.

Put the cover back on.

Turn the phone back on and wait for it to finish re-booting.

Find the app you were using and re-start it,

Or call the person you were speaking to before.
  • Reply 124 of 162
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

If you gave someone the choice of the exact same battery with the otion of either having it sealed or replaceable most would choose the latter. SO the issue is not old. The arguement on here to support a sealed battery is just tired. It's strictly a fanboy mentality.

Only YOU want a replaceable battery. How many extra batteries do you lug around with your cell phone, laptop, etc.? Do you fill up your pockets with batteries wherever you go so you will always have one available? Your argument for replaceable batteries is getting old.
  • Reply 125 of 162
    Quote:

You THINK most people would choose it. You don't KNOW most people would choose it.
  • Reply 126 of 162
    Quote:

Hello- I own a phone, a camera , and a video camera- all of which have swappable batteries. Therefore I know of what I speak. You can put your iPhone back where it belongs now- -OUCH!.

Even though its a bad premise because those are very different then phones.

Do you own multiple batteries for all of them?
  • Reply 127 of 162
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

You talked about getting a Pre, if you do get one will you buy a second battery?

Smaller design

Only time battery replacement became an issue was when battery life became 30 min

(Now that the iPhone no longer solders in the battery you can replace it for that reason)

Unfortunately he's not gonna get Pre because his pocket is even too tight for the giant iPhone, not to mention the thicker Pre.
  • Reply 128 of 162
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    He is... BATTERY MAN
  • Reply 129 of 162
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

Smaller design

? Can charge all batteries at once without middle of the night swapping. Some even allow power-passthrough, therby requiring only one charger.

? Many more options for external batteries to fit more user needs. For example, an external that costs less than internal battery but holds several charges compared to internal equivalents.

? Can still be used with each new generation of iDevice.

? Stronger shell and larger internal battery due to lack of a user accesssible slide panel.

I don't think anyone begrudged Beetlejuice's preference for a wanting an user replaceable internal battery but, per his usual MO, having a differnet need or seeing the value of other choices makes us fanboys. It really does get old.
  • Reply 130 of 162
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Let's hope this longer battery life model idea spreads to the iPod touch. I'd be delighted to see Apple drop the easily scratched stainless steel cover for a slip-resistant plastic and offer two models, one thicker and more curved with a longer battery life. The current version is thinner than necessary and it'd be nice to have that life for playing movies on longer trips.

And lets hope Apple improves Bluetooth on the iPhone/touch. My years-old Razr has more Bluetooth capabilities. That and WiFi-n.
  • Reply 131 of 162
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You know, when you get a battery low warning, and you're in the middle of something, it's easier to:

Get the plug-in battery/recharger out of your pocket and plug it in while continuing to do what you were doing...

I forgot about that benefit. Those external charge to 80% in something like 10-20 minutes so you don't need to keep it attached the entire time.
  • Reply 132 of 162
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member

The advantage of replaceable battery is not that you carry 55 batteries in your pockets and swap them on the go.

It comes in handy, when someone manages to produce better battery, more capable, than your actual one. Then you replace your battery.
  • Reply 133 of 162
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Get the plug-in battery/recharger out of your pocket and plug it in while continuing to do what you were doing, than to:

Get out of the app, or say goodby to whomever you're on the phone with, then;

Turn off your phone and wait for it to close down.

Remove the battery cover.

Take out the old battery.

Get the new battery out.

Put the old battery in your pocket.

Put the new battery in.

Get the cover from wherever you put it.

Put the cover back on.

Turn the phone back on and wait for it to finish re-booting.

Find the app you were using and re-start it,

Or call the person you were speaking to before.

And how do you do that in some unfamiliar city half way through your trip from one side of the planet to the other? If you fly Sydney to Europe that's 22 hours just flying time on one flight. In reality it's usually a 3 day trek even if you don't stop anywhere. Then time stuck in lounges, buses, trains, eating. So when my iPod (or iPhone, which I don't have) dies after 4-8 hours, that's it, end of utility, it's just more junk to carry around. Or I just go through that horrible rigmarole, about the same time I swap SIMs, with my Nokia and can navigate, call people, read my email (the web is fairly pointless, though, including on an iPhone) for the whole trip.

Why don't you just admit that you're a sad apologist for Apple? If they announce a polished turd today you'll probably be here gushing about it and admonishing people who complain about the smell. Really, either that or you just don't actually do anything useful other than stroke your Apple products all day.
  • Reply 134 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

The advantage of replaceable battery is not that you carry 55 batteries in your pockets and swap them on the go.

It comes in handy, when someone manages to produce better battery, more capable, than your actual one. Then you replace your battery.

Uh, no, frogtard, that never happens. Battery technology is stuck on lithium polymer and hardly improves year to year. It what's holding us all back.
  • Reply 135 of 162
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

And how do you do that in some unfamiliar city half way through your trip from one side of the planet to the other? If you fly Sydney to Europe that's 22 hours just flying time on one flight. In reality it's usually a 3 day trek even if you don't stop anywhere. Then time stuck in lounges, buses, trains, eating. So when my iPod (or iPhone, which I don't have) dies after 4-8 hours, that's it, end of utility, it's just more junk to carry around. Or I just go through that horrible rigmarole, about the same time I swap SIMs, with my Nokia and can navigate, call people, read my email (the web is fairly pointless, though, including on an iPhone) for the whole trip.

And I suppose that you have 4-5 extra batteries that you charge-up in advance for your Nokia so you can last a full 3 days without plugging in to the wall? You know as well as everyone else that there are power-outlets everywhere throughout a journey (even on some airplanes -- and certainly those that are used for long flights). How are extra internal batteries any different than extra external batteries? I would think that the external pack (which would get much longer battery-life than an internal battery) would be the perfect solution for a long trip. When I went to Europe a number of years ago, I bought an external battery for my 1Gen iPod Shuffle into which I could pop AAA batteries. How much better a solution was that than being able to access the internal battery to swap it out?
  • Reply 136 of 162
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Why don't you just admit that you're a sad apologist for Apple? If they announce a polished turd today you'll probably be here gushing about it and admonishing people who complain about the smell. Really, either that or you just don't actually do anything useful other than stroke your Apple products all day.

That's ridiculous. (1) How often do you take 22-hour flights? (2) Even if/when you do, and assuming an aggressive 6 hours of battery life, don't you, according to your own argument, have to carry three extra batteries? (3) Why not just get an adapter for lounges, etc, since after all, you'll need it for your charger anyway, once you get to that country (or in transit)? (4) Why not just choose an airline that provides power outlets? (5) Why not just buy an external battery pack?
  • Reply 137 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Unfortunately he's not gonna get Pre because his pocket is even too tight for the giant iPhone, not to mention the thicker Pre.

I don't know why this isn't brought up more. The iPhone is a truly large phone. My current phone is 10 x 45 x 110 mm. My next phone is about the same dimensions and has 3 band HSPA, GPS, BT, WiFI, FM, VOIP, VGA video camera and a huge battery. Now I like to wear tight jeans, as you'll all be pleased to know, and even I don't notice my phone my jeans, except when I sit down.
  • Reply 138 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

There are two small screws at the bottom of the case of the iPhone (and I imagine of the Touch as well). Remove the screws, and you can replace the non-soldered-in battery for a more powerful one when one comes out. These batteries, available from several vendors when they come out, are also much cheaper than the external batteries from companies like Palm for their own phones.

It takes a short time to do, and you only have to do it once as the batteries last a long time these days.
  • Reply 139 of 162
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

Uh, no, frogtard, that never happens. Battery technology is stuck on lithium polymer and hardly improves year to year. It what's holding us all back.

Just don't be so quick in judging the technology, nor in writing in English. It's a fault for a blog writer.
  • Reply 140 of 162
    Quote:

You post makes no sense at all. None!

You haven't shown the advantage of having several rechargeable batteries as opposed to external ones. None!

Don't be childish here. If you have nothing useful to say, don't bother.