Live coverage from Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference

Comments

• Reply 41 of 166
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    It's $29 for ALL Mac users, right? You can buy it in a store for $29, and if you have Tiger it's not like it won't install, right? Why are you mentioning "Leopard" users? I hope it's only because most users are on Leopard they're only saying that for simplicity, but if Tiger users have to pay extra isn't it kind of Microsoft-esque. I mean, nothing against an upgrade path, but if they charge differently, then they would have to put in some software restrictions which lots of people hate about Windows, and then they would also be forced to say that you can buy a 'full' copy and make a hackintosh because it's NOT an upgrade?
  • Reply 42 of 166
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

It's $29 for ALL Mac users, right? You can buy it in a store for $29, and if you have Tiger it's not like it won't install, right? Why are you mentioning "Leopard" users? I hope it's only because most users are on Leopard they're only saying that for simplicity, but if Tiger users have to pay extra isn't it kind of Microsoft-esque.

No, I think it would be all LEOPARD users.

Strange that they didn't mention any release date or timeframe.
  • Reply 43 of 166
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ortal View Post

10:46 Snow Leopard will be available for all Intel Macs -- past and present. How should it be priced? Leopard was $129 and they want all Leopard users to upgrade to Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard will be $29 for those users.

uhhhh finally

oh uh , Intel only. ouch. that's gonna leave a mark.

glad i sold my Quad core G5 year ago but i feel for the guy who bought it.
  • Reply 44 of 166
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

It's $29 for ALL Mac users, right? You can buy it in a store for $29, and if you have Tiger it's not like it won't install, right? Why are you mentioning "Leopard" users? I hope it's only because most users are on Leopard they're only saying that for simplicity, but if Tiger users have to pay extra isn't it kind of Microsoft-esque. I mean, nothing against an upgrade path, but if they charge differently, then they would have to put in some software restrictions which lots of people hate about Windows, and then they would also be forced to say that you can buy a 'full' copy and make a hackintosh because it's NOT an upgrade?

All it needs to do is check if the current OS is Leopard. The last time Apple did something similar (I think it was 10.2), the check procedure was easily defeated. In any event, I'd assume that an upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard will be $129, but we'll have to see.
  • Reply 45 of 166
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

No, it's $29 for Leopard users.. Tiger (or previous) users will have to pay $129, just as they would if they were to upgrade before today, except they'd get SL instead of L. The release is September.
  • Reply 46 of 166
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

No, I think it would be all LEOPARD users.

Strange that they didn't mention any release date or timeframe.

All Leopard users and nobody else? They allowed Jaguar users to upgrade to Leopard... And I thought it was going to support PowerPC?

And I think they said September... Engadget has more info: "$29 for Leopard users, and a family pack is $49. It will be available this September, and today we're making a dev preview available."

So get a family pack for $50 and use it on previous versions??? Some computers here are Leopard and one is Tiger... can we buy one family pack?
  • Reply 47 of 166
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ortal View Post

ahhhhh I just bought a macbook pro and of COURSE they revamp it. ALWAYS happens to me.

You and me both. But I'm still very happy with my late 2008 MBP. I'll definitely be upgrading sooner or later to get that 8 GB of RAM limit, though. Once Adobe's Creative Suite can actually address that much RAM usefully, it'll be invaluable.
  • Reply 48 of 166
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

10:14 PT - DM: Standard configs: $1199 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of memory, 9400M graphics, 160GB hard drive, SD card slot; $1499, 2.53GHz, 4GB memory, 250GB hard drive. And it's available today. And that completes the MacBook Pro family. Most affordable lineup ever.

10:13 PT - DM: 13-inch can also take up to 8GB; up to 500GB of storage, or 256GB SSD. The built-in backlit LED keyboard is standard as well. And it's got FireWire 800 port. MacBook Pro deserves it. So the 13-inch is bumped up to "MacBook Pro" and it starts at just $1199. Less expensive than the 13-inch aluminum MacBook it replaces.

10:11 PT - DM: And then there's the 13-inch unibody design. Updated, with the same built-in battery. It gets up to 7 hours of battery life. 2 hours longer than before, 40% more battery life, same dimensions. It has the new 60% greater color gamut display. And it has the SD card slot as well. Challenge to fit (looks like there may be no audio input?). At what point isn't this a MacBook Pro? What can we add to make it a MacBook Pro?

So does the MacBook no longer exist??? Is it now called the MacBook Pro 13, 15, and 17? The MacBook Air finally got a realistic price drop.

I think Apple listened to and corrected just about every single concern I can think of here.
  • Reply 49 of 166
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    So finally the announcement that it's Intel only, at least they are supporting the early 32 bit intel hardware. Still stings for all the quad G5 owners who never really got full support though.

And glad to see the pricing, I'll enjoy seeing all those who said it would be $129 and that anyone expecting it to be cheaper are insane eat a big steaming plate of crow.
  • Reply 50 of 166
    ebrunnebrunn Posts: 75member
    lol, end of summer for MMS. ATT is a joke.
  • Reply 51 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I think Apple listened to and corrected just about every single concern I can think of here.

Yes, nice price cuts for consumers.. From an investor perspective, I wonder how this will affect margins?
  • Reply 52 of 166
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Don't forget his aliases/bed-buddies ItalianKid and Seahawk Fan. They're cranking up their whining generators as we speak.

C'mon guys, be cool!
  • Reply 53 of 166
    Quote:

All Leopard users and nobody else? They allowed Jaguar users to upgrade to Leopard... And I thought it was going to support PowerPC?

All intel users will be able to upgrade, I just assume that those without Leopard will have to pay more.

And there has been strong speculation for a long time that it would dump PPC.
  • Reply 54 of 166
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    I wonder what MacMini pricing is going to be. For just couple hundred more (2.26Ghz version) i can have unibody macbook that's same in specs but is notebook instead of lonely desktop without keyboard/LCD/trackpad.
  • Reply 55 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Yes, nice price cuts for consumers.. From an investor perspective, I wonder how this will affect margins?

They'll probably sell a lot more copies. It's still mostly profit.
  • Reply 56 of 166
    Remote wipe on the iPhone. This is a big one for business. It's one of the last major security problems Apple had to address.
  • Reply 57 of 166
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

And I think they said September... Engadget has more info: "$29 for Leopard users, and a family pack is $49. It will be available this September, and today we're making a dev preview available."

So get a family pack for $50 and use it on previous versions??? Some computers here are Leopard and one is Tiger... can we buy one family pack?

Learning how to read might help you. It is an upgrade price for people that already own Leopard, $29. For those with Tiger, it will be $129. You thought it would support PowerPC? I guess you haven't read anything about Snow Leopard. You can buy a family pack upgrade, but it won't install on your Tiger OS. You need to buy the full version of Snow Leopard to upgrade Tiger, legally anyway. Why is one Mac running Tiger and the others on Leopard? Since you thought it ran on PowerPC, I am guessing your Macs are not Intel, so you don't need to worry about upgrading.
  • Reply 58 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

They'll probably sell a lot more copies. It's still mostly profit.

Copies? I assume you mean units?

My reply was in reference to the MBP price cuts not the SL upgrade..
  • Reply 59 of 166
    wirespeedwirespeed Posts: 13member
    It's remarkable to me that people who haven't bothered to upgrade to Leopard are so indignant about pricing for an upgrade to Snow Leopard. Development costs money people. New software just doesn't fall from the sky. Get over yourselves or move to Linux.

On an iPhone note... MMS 'sometime this summer', and no support for tethering on AT&T? I think it's time for Apple to say enough is enough.
  • Reply 60 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirespeed View Post

It's remarkable to me that people who haven't bothered to upgrade to Leopard are so indignant about pricing for an upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Who exactly are you talking about?

Before today, there was strong sentiment that $129 wouldn't be fair for SL. Turns out Apple agrees. Now that the $29 pricing is known, is there anyone complaining that that is too much?