Live coverage from Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference

Comments

• Reply 61 of 166
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Yes, nice price cuts for consumers.. From an investor perspective, I wonder how this will affect margins?

Apple protects their margins, so you can be sure that the lower prices reflect lower costs of production, not some expectation that they'll sell more units at a lower margin.
  • Reply 62 of 166
    wirespeedwirespeed Posts: 13member
    The people in this thread who are still running Tiger, or running Tiger on 1 of 3 computers appear to be complaining about the cost (which I think is ludicrous). $29 isn't the greatest thing ever, but selling an OS upgrade that takes 6GB less HD space, costs $29 and is out a month before Win 7 is the greatest thing ever.
  • Reply 63 of 166
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Copies? I assume you mean units?

My reply was in reference to the MBP price cuts not the SL upgrade..

Ah, somehow I did think you were talking about the upgrade. Sorry.

But speaking about the Macbook+, yes, I think they will sell more units.

It seems that both the recession AND MS's Ads pointing out the prices has had an effect.
  • Reply 64 of 166
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Apple protects their margins, so you can be sure that the lower prices reflect lower costs of production, not some expectation that they'll sell more units at a lower margin.

Good.
  • Reply 65 of 166
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Okay Apple, you don't have to demo every iPhone App, we get the picture.
  • Reply 66 of 166
    15 minutes left.

Phones anyone?
  • Reply 67 of 166
    m24om24o Posts: 5member
    I'vew been waiting for this day because of the iphone os 3.0 , and then i'm told that we'll get the software at June17th? Why? I bet, the final version is waiting on Apple's servers...
  • Reply 68 of 166
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

15 minutes left.

Phones anyone?

Looks like.
  • Reply 69 of 166
    Hah!

The "S" is real!
  • Reply 70 of 166
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Okay Apple, you don't have to demo every iPhone App, we get the picture.

Yeah, I have to agree....

Steve would have been a tad more pithy.

But give them time: overall, they seem to be doing well.....
  • Reply 71 of 166
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirespeed View Post

The people in this thread who are still running Tiger, or running Tiger on 1 of 3 computers appear to be complaining about the cost (which I think is ludicrous). $29 isn't the greatest thing ever, but selling an OS upgrade that takes 6GB less HD space, costs $29 and is out a month before Win 7 is the greatest thing ever.

I don't see that complaining. I see a bit of asking for clarification about specifics but I don't see any complaining about $29.
  • Reply 72 of 166
    legend79legend79 Posts: 32member
    I suppose Phil forgot that Palm has an app store that is MUCH bigger than Apple's app store. Heck they've been doing this app store thing since the Palm 3c days and all apps run on the Pre. Ignorance is bliss!
  • Reply 73 of 166
    new 3 MP camera can focus to 10 cm (4 inches).

Bar code reading is here.
  • Reply 74 of 166
    VIDEO.

That should make some people happy.

VGA 30 fps with audio.

Voice control, voice dialing—finally!
  • Reply 75 of 166
    wirespeedwirespeed Posts: 13member
    I must not be making myself clear... They're complaining about having to pay the $129... For their machines that are running Tiger, instead of just the $29 to go to Snow Leopard. There was also someone complaining about not being able to use the $49 family upgrade pack to update all of his three machines because 2 are running Leopard, but one is running Tiger.
  • Reply 76 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by legend79 View Post

I suppose Phil forgot that Palm has an app store that is MUCH bigger than Apple's app store. Heck they've been doing this app store thing since the Palm 3c days and all apps run on the Pre. Ignorance is bliss!

Yup. All the old apps, more than a few that don't work, more that don't work well, and more than a few that you need to be an expert in so as to be able to set up on the Pre through Classic.

Yup, plenty of good old apps.

No touch interface for them either in most cases.

And, there are about 30,000 of those old apps as compared to over 50,000 for the iPhone.
  • Reply 77 of 166
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Wow, 75 million OS X users.

Difficult to tell from the text feed, but it sounds to me from the fact that they say it grew from 25M to 75M in the last two years that they're including 40M iPod touch/iPhone users in that figure.
  • Reply 78 of 166
    I like this zinger from Phil Schiller: "To call the iPhone 3G a hit would be the understatement of the year. It's changed how people think about their phones. It wasn't that long ago that we were so frustrated with these... crappy devices."

Well put.
  • Reply 79 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Difficult to tell from the text feed, but it sounds to me from the fact that they say it grew from 25M to 75M in the last two years that they're including 40M iPod touch/iPhone users in that figure.

Yes, they are. So?
  • Reply 80 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

No I don't think so. OS X for the iPhone is not the same.