Live coverage from Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference

Comments

• Reply 121 of 166
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I know! There should have been more explosions!

Hopefully not in anybody's sealed battery. ( I couldn't resist)
  • Reply 122 of 166
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As I said. I didn't read it. I was reading Engadget as well.

You didn't read it either.

That doesn't say anything about the iPhone being INCLUDED in the numbers, just that sales have gone up since the iPhones introduction.

This is something they've said several times before.

So you're saying that they have sold 50 million macs in the two years since iPhone shipped? Do Apple's sales numbers back that up?
  • Reply 123 of 166
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

It is odd. You would think they'd be the first out of the gate, considering their relationship.

Yeah. I agree. It's embarrassing: an Indian company (Bharti Airtel) is on the list!
  • Reply 124 of 166
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

So you're saying that they have sold 50 million macs in the two years since iPhone shipped? Do Apple's sales numbers back that up?

He said that OS X use has gone from 25 million three years ago to 75 million. Not that they sold 50 million machines during that time.

As I said, 3 years ago it was estimated that there were about 40 million Macs out there, many of them not yet on OS X.

Even with a fair number of those people buying new machines and getting rid of the old, with many upgrading to OS X over that time, along with new sales of over 30 million, I can see the number of 75 million OS X users.

Besides, the numbers with the iPhone AND the iPod Touch, which runs the same OS as the iPhone added into the mix, that would give us a lot more than 75 million OS X users.

A good number of the 40 million, plus the over 30 million in new sales, plus the over 40 million in iPhone and iPod Touch sales.

How would you reconcile those numbers?
  • Reply 125 of 166
    Quote:

Can't be.

In the six months ending March 2009, Apple had sold 4.7M Mac units. So, let's simplify and say they've sold about 8M per year on average.

The iPhone and its features have been known since Jan 2007, so that's 2.5 years that someone contemplating a Mac in the post-iPhone era. So it would be in the ballpark of 8*2.5 = 20M.

PS: Let me see if I can get more precise numbers.
  • Reply 126 of 166
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Will address book photo contacts be in "Cover Flow" format?

Oh do shut up about this thing.
  • Reply 127 of 166
    Quote:

He said that OS X use has gone from 25 million three years ago to 75 million. Not that they sold 50 million machines during that time.

As I said, 3 years ago it was estimated that there were about 40 million Macs out there, many of them not yet on OS X.

Even with a fair number of those people buying new machines and getting rid of the old, with many upgrading to OS X over that time, along with new sales of over 30 million, I can see the number of 75 million OS X users.

Besides, the numbers with the iPhone AND the iPod Touch, which runs the same OS as the iPhone added into the mix, that would give us a lot more than 75 million OS X users.

A good number of the 40 million, plus the over 30 million in new sales, plus the over 40 million in iPhone and iPod Touch sales.

How would you reconcile those numbers?

My (optimistic) guess is 25M Mac units sold since Jan 2007. So, going from 25M to 75M would have to imply that an additional 25M switched to OSX from OS9, and in their pre-2007 Macs.

Seems a bit too high.

(I can't easily find more precise figures, so this is a bit speculative.....)
  • Reply 128 of 166
    legend79legend79 Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Most of Palms apps are crap too.

I've been using Palmphones since the Samsung i300. My last was the Treo 700p.

So, I'm pretty familiar with Palms apps.

And unless they drop the prices on most of them by a lot, they will fade away even more quickly than otherwise. Most are no longer worth what is being charged for them.

And I said "about".

I'm not disagreeing. I think that the whole app thing is really somewhat of a Joke until *real* apps come along. Games are actually looking somewhat decent. It's just a pain that the input system sucks for generally anything fast-paced.
  • Reply 129 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My (optimistic) guess is 25M Mac units sold since Jan 2007. So, going from 25M to 75M would have to imply that an additional 25M switched to OSX from OS9, and in their pre-2007 Macs.

Seems a bit too high.

(I can't easily find more precise figures, so this is a bit speculative.....)

I don't think it's too high.

But assuming the 40+ million "i" units would give a number that's way too high. It they were included, I would think the number they would have announced would have been over 100 million, and if so, they wouldn't have been so conservative so as to say 75 million.
  • Reply 130 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by legend79 View Post

I'm not disagreeing. I think that the whole app thing is really somewhat of a Joke until *real* apps come along. Games are actually looking somewhat decent. It's just a pain that the input system sucks for generally anything fast-paced.

I like the accelerator controls. There are on-screen controls in some games that work pretty well too.

What I think we might see now that we have third party support for devices, is a gaming controller that the iPhone will sit inside of, with controls on either side.

The whole thing would still be smaller than the PSP.
  • Reply 131 of 166
    Quote:

....assuming the 40+ million "i" units would give a number that's way too high. It they were included, I would think the number they would have announced would have been over 100 million, and if so, they wouldn't have been so conservative so as to say 75 million.

I do agree with that.

It is a mystery.

Perhaps it will become the source of debate similar to "10M iPhones in/during/before-the-end-of 2008"!
  • Reply 132 of 166
    Macworld thinks the 75M number includes iPhones.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1408...6/keynote.html
  • Reply 133 of 166
    Quote:

Macworld thinks the 75M number includes iPhones.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1408...6/keynote.html

No, MACWORLD doesn't think that. The writer at the show interpreted it the way you did, without thinking about the numbers first.

Reflection doesn't seem to make that right.

And again. Apple didn't say that it included the "i" devices, only that the numbers increased since they have been selling the iPhone, which is quite different.
  • Reply 134 of 166
    Quote:

No, MACWORLD doesn't think that. The writer at the show interpreted it the way you did, without thinking about the numbers first.

Reflection doesn't seem to make that right.

And again. Apple didn't say that it included the "i" devices, only that the numbers increased since they have been selling the iPhone, which is quite different.

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough.

A writer for Macworld thinks the 75M number includes iPhones.
  • Reply 135 of 166
    Quote:

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough.

A writer for Macworld thinks the 75M number includes iPhones.

I imagine this will be cleared up within the next few days.
  • Reply 136 of 166
    flash_beezyflash_beezy Posts: 239member
    Will the current 3g have most of the new features with the 3.0 update?
  • Reply 137 of 166
    Quote:

I imagine this will be cleared up within the next few days.

Just like the whole "10M in 2008" thing? Oops, sorry to bring that up after you got it wrong for such a long time...
  • Reply 138 of 166
    Quote:

Just like the whole "10M in 2008" thing? Oops, sorry to bring that up after you got it wrong for such a long time...

I knew it! (See #132 above).
  • Reply 139 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Will the current 3g have most of the new features with the 3.0 update?

Anything that doesn't require a hardware upgraded phone, such as

New camera, video recording, compass, 32 GB memory, voice recording, longer battery life, faster processor.

For the current phones we get turn by turn programs, in program purchasing, much better location using Google maps, cut/paste, remote wipe and hardware encryption, third party hardware and software integration, etc.
  • Reply 140 of 166
    Quote:

What are you talking about? Oh. That's was a stupid debate for all of us. and I wasn't wrong about it either.

And your numbers are so far off as to be unreasonable. Yu haven't addressed that, have you? Why?