Apple's Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to retail for $29 in September

Comments

• Reply 21 of 124
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

when some enterprising people get this working on Dell and HP laptops, i'll be all over it. i'm not in a position to buy a high end laptop right now.

I assume people have been trying it with the betas, and probably will with the release getting handed out to developers today. The smaller hard drive footprint and better efficiency and speed will be big plusses for netbook hackintoshes.
  • Reply 22 of 124
    freakboyfreakboy Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Windows isn't going anywhere, OS X isn't going anywhere, Linux isn't going anywhere. They all will co-exist just fine in the way they have for years. How much will it cost Tiger owners to get 10.6? Probably $129.

i think its just 29$.

They aren't going to have 2 disks at retail. The upgrade price for a machine bought between now and when SL is released is 9$.

EDIT: OH SHIT ITS NOT! WTF!
  • Reply 23 of 124
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

i think its just 29$.

They aren't going to have 2 disks at retail. The upgrade price for a machine bought between now and when SL is released is 9$.

fb

See above.

Tiger upgrade is in a box set for $169 with iLife '09 + iWorks '09.
  • Reply 24 of 124
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

G4/G5 no more?

By this it appears that you're concerned that you won't be able to use your G4 or G5 based Mac anymore come September when Snow Leopard is released.

Rest assured, those computers will not magically stop working on that day. (On the other hand, my G5 iMac died several months ago, apparently due to exploding capacitors, but that's another story...) And all the same apps that ran on them before will still run on them after.

If you're concerned about the end of security support, your fears are also unfounded. Note that Apple is still actively releasing security updates for Tiger.

If you're just concerned about the fact that new OSes are not being released for PowerPC-based Macs, well, all I can say is, this shouldn't be coming as a surprise: We've heard for quite some time now that the Snow Leopard betas would only run on Intel-based systems.
  • Reply 25 of 124
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Is the Finder now 100% Cocoa, or just partially Cocoa? I read different opinions on this.
  • Reply 26 of 124
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    So, with the new Dock Expose, will the traditional action menu be no more? In the demo they said you active Dock Expose by clicking on an icon in the Dock and holding the click. Currently, that does the same as a right click or a control-click.
  • Reply 27 of 124
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

i think its just 29$.

EDIT: OH SHIT ITS NOT! WTF!

EDIT: Yes it is! From the Apple Press Release on Snow Leopard:

"The Mac OS X Snow Leopard Up-To-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller between June 8, 2009 and the end of the program on December 26, 2009, for a product plus shipping and handling fee of $9.95 (US). Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 90 days of purchase or by December 26, 2009, whichever comes first."

Also part of Snow Leopard's page: Snow Leopard Up-to-date
  • Reply 28 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

Nope.. For the first time in my life I will not be buying an OS from Apple, nor will my next hardware purchase be an Apple until the have Full BluRay support. I mean Full. The pro apps getter be able to author BluRay, I better be able to play it and iDVD better have that functioning added too. To have to boot into Windows to run a BluRay is absolutely Pathetic Apple. It's very possible my next machine will be a PC. At least MS tries to support STANDARD technologies.

me too...and what the hell happen to final cut studio 3......
  • Reply 29 of 124
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilovemacs View Post

me too...and what the hell happen to final cut studio 3......

What do you mean what happened to it? It's not like anyone expected any word of it today.
  • Reply 30 of 124
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Very impressive all round. Apple are such a deft, coherent and classy company it is hard not to be impressed I'd say. What a contrast with that malodorous dinosaur lumbering round up the coast, loudly breaking wind as they brutishly try to stamp on anything that moves.
  • Reply 31 of 124
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    My iBook G4 with Tiger is 4 years old. It would have been nice to get Snow Leopard for it, but I can understand why it won't be available, given that the PowerPC part of the market must be around 10% or less now, and many of them will be looking to upgrade in the near future anyway. It might be worse for PowerMac owners, who might have bought for longevity.

Instead I will look at buying a new Mac come 10.6.2, but what shall I get?! Let's see how the money situation is in January.
  • Reply 32 of 124
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

Nope.. For the first time in my life I will not be buying an OS from Apple, nor will my next hardware purchase be an Apple until the have Full BluRay support. I mean Full. The pro apps getter be able to author BluRay, I better be able to play it and iDVD better have that functioning added too. To have to boot into Windows to run a BluRay is absolutely Pathetic Apple. It's very possible my next machine will be a PC. At least MS tries to support STANDARD technologies.

Just for you:

• Reply 33 of 124
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    I just can't believe the price of $29. All those guys at Mac Night Owl have been whining about not wanting to pay $129 for SL, I guess they were right. Still some great technologies coming in September and happily some always welcome refinements to the GUI, In some way SL might be looked at as version that sheds all the shackles of the Classic Mac OS and become the operating system that the Next Open Step promised. On a purely geek level SL will blow Win 7 out of the water, then again Win 7 is so bogged down with legacy code and bloat it is embarrassing.
  • Reply 34 of 124
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Looking forward to Snow Leopard & iLife family pack. I think Apple has a habit of updating iLife at MacWorld in January, but they're not participating in that any more, so maybe new iLife with Snow Leopard release?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 35 of 124
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Just for you:

I was looking for a sad violin picture but this is even better.
  • Reply 36 of 124
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Surprising price, but I'll accept it.
  • Reply 37 of 124
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Apple is very smart. They don't want Macs out there that aren't displaying the ultimate in performance based upon their latest technology, so with pricing at $29, they'll get a very high portion of users to upgrade. The truth is, it probably would have been worth the $129, even though people (especially on here) would have groused about it.
  • Reply 38 of 124
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    To: macxpress...

Perfect!!! Best laugh of the day!
  • Reply 39 of 124
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I don't see 10.6 competing with or stealing Windows 7's thunder.

Windows 7 is being marketed as a major new OS and OS X 10.6 doesn't offer anything new or exciting for the consumer that you can see on the outside.
  • Reply 40 of 124
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    $29 it is pretty good deal

Developers please post the what is the performance difference between Leopard and Snow Leopard