Apple's Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to retail for $29 in September

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

Nope.. For the first time in my life I will not be buying an OS from Apple, nor will my next hardware purchase be an Apple until the have Full BluRay support. I mean Full. The pro apps getter be able to author BluRay, I better be able to play it and iDVD better have that functioning added too. To have to boot into Windows to run a BluRay is absolutely Pathetic Apple. It's very possible my next machine will be a PC. At least MS tries to support STANDARD technologies.

Hmmmm...while Apple should have Blu-ray support, I guess you've never heard of Toast, or Adobe's Encore?
  • Reply 42 of 124
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I don't see 10.6 competing with or stealing Windows 7's thunder.

Windows 7 is being marketed as a major new OS and OS X 10.6 doesn't offer anything new or exciting for the consumer that you can see on the outside.

What have they added new to Windows 7 that isn't in Vista? I've used the beta of Win 7 and Vista and the only big difference I noticed was the new Taskbar.

There are a number of visual enhancements in Snow Leopard, the Dock and Exposé being big ones. The difference is Apple isn't marketing these as big features, they are just slipping them in.

Windows 7 makes a big play of the new taskbar, because they haven't got as much going on in the back-end (things like HomeGroup are cool and all), but they play catch up to Bonjour, and open standard Microsoft could have been using for years.

For me Snow Leopard is a steal, easily as many features as 10.2 and 10.3 added, but with a far smaller price.
  • Reply 43 of 124
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

So, with the new Dock Expose, will the traditional action menu be no more? In the demo they said you active Dock Expose by clicking on an icon in the Dock and holding the click. Currently, that does the same as a right click or a control-click.

This is an interesting point. I wonder though how many people used the action menu. I suspect right click will still active it though and click hold will be a separate action for Dock exposé.
  • Reply 44 of 124
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I've gotta say I'm very happy about this upgrade and the pricing! I have no problem with my mini only being able to go up to the top of 10.5 and my macbook and mac pro will live on! Slimming the OS is a nice surprise as well!
  • Reply 45 of 124
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    They didnt mention a price to upgrade from Tiger, so will Tiger users on the early Macbooks be able to upgrade for $29? or will there just be no upgrade option, maybe requier an archive and install?

That said, I would rather get this next week and the new iphone in 4 months
  • Reply 46 of 124
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Windows 7 is being marketed as a major new OS and OS X 10.6 doesn't offer anything new or exciting for the consumer that you can see on the outside.

They can market it however they want, but that doesn't mean people are going to bite. And at $29, 10.6 doesn't have to offer much that is new or exciting - even if it offered nothing beyond being faster and more efficient (and it does), that would be enough for many people to upgrade.
  • Reply 47 of 124
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

Nope.. For the first time in my life I will not be buying an OS from Apple, nor will my next hardware purchase be an Apple until the have Full BluRay support. I mean Full. The pro apps getter be able to author BluRay, I better be able to play it and iDVD better have that functioning added too. To have to boot into Windows to run a BluRay is absolutely Pathetic Apple. It's very possible my next machine will be a PC. At least MS tries to support STANDARD technologies.

What's the point of Blu-rays? They are more expensive than hard drive space and less versatile. I use my $20 16 GB flash driveon my PS3 to play HD video. They are hardly a standard, more like a Sony standard.
  • Reply 48 of 124
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

I don't see 10.6 competing with or stealing Windows 7's thunder.

How do you quantify this? You don't know what is or isn't exciting to anyone but yourself. Though it's an interesting opinion you have here it cannot be support via facts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

$29 it is pretty good deal

Developers please post the what is the performance difference between Leopard and Snow Leopard

Apple has a lot of performance figures for improvement in wakup from sleep, shutdown and more on their site now. Clearly SL is going to feel much snappier lol. I'm in for a family pack. Even Time Machine is twice as fast. Kudos Apple!
  • Reply 49 of 124
    maximemaxime Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

when some enterprising people get this working on Dell and HP laptops, i'll be all over it. i'm not in a position to buy a high end laptop right now.

Already running OSX on a Dell.
  • Reply 50 of 124
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    Software guys work for 2 years to get a measly $29 profit from us. My system seems zippy as it is on Leopard without the 'Snow'. I don't get it. I'll get 6GB more space, and better use of memory. What's the catch?
  • Reply 51 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

Software guys work for 2 years to get a measly $29 profit from us. My system seems zippy as it is on Leopard without the 'Snow'. I don't get it. I'll get 6GB more space, and better use of memory. What's the catch?

You can't run it on PPC ..that's the catch.
  • Reply 52 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

What's the point of Blu-rays?

Playing blu-ray disks? Is that really so hard to figure out?

And it's a particularly important feature for people who are actually trying to author blu-ray disks...most of whom have probably already switched to PC.
  • Reply 53 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maxime View Post

Already running OSX on a Dell.

Seems obvious he was talking about 10.6...
  • Reply 54 of 124
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

until i can legally or otherwise rip a movie i buy from disc to electrons, i'm not buying blu ray so i can rebuy the same content 20 times for different devices. DVD's you can rip

AnyDVD HD can rip Blu-rays and HD-DVDs. Admittedly, it's a Windows program but then it haven't made much sense to develop one for OS X yet.
  • Reply 55 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Playing blu-ray disks? Is that really so hard to figure out?

And it's a particularly important feature for people who are actually trying to author blu-ray disks...most of whom have probably already switched to PC.

Yup...those who are %.0005 of Apple's userbase.
  • Reply 56 of 124
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

You can't run it on PPC ..that's the catch.

Okay, there goes 1 machine.. any other catches?
  • Reply 57 of 124
    Quote:

Yup...those who are %.0005 of Apple's userbase.

Gee, then I guess Apple is wasting their time by going to the trouble of creating Final Cut Studio? I thought media used to be one of Apple's strong points?
  • Reply 58 of 124
    Quote:

Gee, then I guess Apple is wasting their time by going to the trouble of creating Final Cut Studio? I thought media used to be one of Apple's strong points?

It is but Blu-ray was a boondoggle from the beginning. The draconian DRM and licensing costs couple with a craptastic BD-Java menu system that still causes fits. Total non starter. iHD was better and preferred by Apple and Blu-ray's licensing of course did not make Apple feel any rosier.

I never felt like the HD optical formats had much more than 6-7 years and I still feel that way. Who the hell is the BDA to tell me that I "must" license AACS encryption for my disc? They can go....to....hell.
  • Reply 59 of 124
    Quote:

It is but Blu-ray was a boondoggle from the beginning. The draconian DRM and licensing costs couple with a craptastic BD-Java menu system that still causes fits. Total non starter. iHD was better and preferred by Apple and Blu-ray's licensing of course did not make Apple feel any rosier.

Boondoggle or not, money is being made selling BD disks, and money is being made authoring BD disks. Just not by people who use macs.
  • Reply 60 of 124
    Quote:

Boondoggle or not, money is being made selling BD disks, and money is being made authoring BD disks. Just not by people who use macs.

Great if you're a major...sucks if your Indie. In a way I'm glad Apple's not sucking off the Blu-ray teet. Perhaps in 5 years we'll have more open standard for encapsulating media content with metadata that doesn't come with draconian DRM and licensing requirements.

My guess is if we see this it'll be with nextgen encoding. Until then we'll see and I'll be enjoying Snow Leopard ...even sans Blu-ray.