Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 1621 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Microsoft to Unpimpz HD DVD?

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...80/352701.html

Quote:

Article by Rachel Konrad 06/04/07 The Associated Press

There is Bad news on the horizon for X-Box 360's HD-DVD Drive owners as Peter Moore told Rachel Konrad on a recent trip to Japan while entering negotiations with Pioneer. Microsoft's Xbox corporate VP of worldwide marketing and publishing Peter Moore told Japanese site ITmedia that the imminent release of the Blu-ray Xbox 360 peripheral could appear for the system before Christmas. Moore admitted that Microsoft's opinion on HD-DVD as the Next Generation format winner is bleak with the worst-case scenario being a repeat of the Beta vs.VHS war of the '80s. Moore also added Microsoft is giving the consumers the most cutting edge technology out there and In this moment in time Blu-Ray is that.

As per usual Peter Moore couldn't help but have a go at Sony and the PS3 "However, he suggested that whatever the outcome of the HD-DVD/Blu-ray war, the Xbox 360 can adopt the dominant format since its uses an external drive. He also suggested that it's a weak point for PlayStation 3, saying Sony's system is stuck with only 1 format. Microsoft announced the Blu-Ray peripheral will connect to the Xbox 360 using one of the system's USB ports. Moore once again confirmed that the Blu Ray add-on for the Xbox 360 is only for watching movies, and there are currently no plans to use it for games, nor are there plans to release an Xbox 360 with an internal Blu Ray drive.

Damn. That's cold...that's almost Blu-cold if there is truth to it.
  • Reply 1622 of 4650
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    "He also suggested that it's a weak point for PlayStation 3, saying Sony's system is stuck with only 1 format. Microsoft announced the Blu-Ray peripheral will connect to the Xbox 360 using one of the system's USB ports. Moore once again confirmed that the Blu Ray add-on for the Xbox 360 is only for watching movies, and there are currently no plans to use it for games, nor are there plans to release an Xbox 360 with an internal Blu Ray drive."

That is what Microsoft doesn't get, the blu-ray drive in the PS3 means they can produce much bigger games too. Even if the format failed, it wouldn't fail as a medium for PS3 games. That being said, if MS is really releasing a Blu-Ray drive (which I question), that would be another blow to HD-DVD.
  • Reply 1623 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Currently I don't have a Blu-ray player...

Are you taking the piss? If not, you've got a lot of sack!
  • Reply 1624 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

"He also suggested that it's a weak point for PlayStation 3, saying Sony's system is stuck with only 1 format. Microsoft announced the Blu-Ray peripheral will connect to the Xbox 360 using one of the system's USB ports. Moore once again confirmed that the Blu Ray add-on for the Xbox 360 is only for watching movies, and there are currently no plans to use it for games, nor are there plans to release an Xbox 360 with an internal Blu Ray drive."

That is what Microsoft doesn't get, the blu-ray drive in the PS3 means they can produce much bigger games too. Even if the format failed, it wouldn't fail as a medium for PS3 games. That being said, if MS is really releasing a Blu-Ray drive (which I question), that would be another blow to HD-DVD.

I question it as well...hopefully we'll get more info as time rolls on. I equate it to the mythical wet dream of HD DVD proponents of cheap HD DVD players at Wal-mart as of right now...but entertaining to say the least.
  • Reply 1625 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

Are you taking the piss? If not, you've got a lot of sack!

Hahahahaha. I love that European saying...it cracks me up every time i hear it..."Ya takin a piss!"
  • Reply 1626 of 4650
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    It is odd that you're the primary blu-ray flag waver here and you have not put any money into the game.
  • Reply 1627 of 4650
    Why is it odd? I enjoy technology and discussing it. My financial needs and wants are different as I assume yours are as well. Listen, we all have different lives and different wants/needs in terms of tangibles. If anything, this fact as of right now, just makes me a bit more "fair and balanced" in that I don't own the piece of equipment that I'm purporting. In other words, I haven't sunk a monetary amount in this war yet and thus am trying to justify my purchase and try and have others do the same. I simply have seen both technologies and have walked away more impressed with Blu-ray. Yes, I do intend to buy a PS3 soon, what so odd about this?
  • Reply 1628 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    It's ok Marzetta7. I know you've been waiting for THIS drive.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=844378

Yeah baby. Blu-ray recorder/HD DVD playback.

I imagine that Niveus and other HTPC manuf will be all over this drive. Eventually we're going to have a combo recording drive.
  • Reply 1629 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It's ok Marzetta7. I know you've been waiting for THIS drive.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=844378

Yeah baby. Blu-ray recorder/HD DVD playback.

I imagine that Niveus and other HTPC manuf will be all over this drive. Eventually we're going to have a combo recording drive.

Nice.... that will complete my HTPC!...... Unless Apple supports HiDef format movie playback with HDCP compliance.....
  • Reply 1630 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

I'll second this. My 60" seemed absolutely massive when we first brought it down, but now...it's normal. It's kind of disconcerting. I find myself wishing it was 100".

The affordable way is with a projector...1080p for $3K now but 720p for only a grand or so (+ screen).

There are downsides to front projection but size typically isn't one of them.

Vinea
  • Reply 1631 of 4650
    Universal Going Neutral?

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=180&page=0

Quote:

Heise Online, a German IT website, is reporting that during a press conference, representatives from Pioneer announced that Universal will break their exclusivity agreement with HD DVD. This would allow Universal, the only large studio exclusively supporting HD DVD, to freely distribute their movies on Blu-ray. It is important to note that this announcement has not yet been confirmed by Universal.

It has long been speculated that Universal was receiving monetary compensation for being an exclusive HD DVD studio. This announcement would signal that they have decided to forgo the compensation in order to release titles on Blu-ray. Most would agree that this move would effectively end the war, and no matter what side you support, a single HD format is the best long term solution.

Keep watching this space, and we'll update the story as needed.

Wow, this would effectively end the format war...no doubt about it.
  • Reply 1632 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I don't know that it'd be the last nail in HDDVD's coffin, but it'd at least be the hinges on the lid.
  • Reply 1633 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Whatever Toshiba was giving them, it's not enough. From a logical standpoint, if the format you're championing is losing, you'd be a fool to stick by your guns and snub the other format. At the bitter end, how many companies were exclusively Beta? On top of that, there's probably some face-saving at work here. Very few executives want to be seen as betting on the wrong horse all the way to the finish line.
  • Reply 1634 of 4650
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Well this somewhat sucks. Now I have to hope that BD+ gets 'broken'. Why? Because I would love to be able to down-convert my purchased HD collection to 720P (since that is all my HDTV can handle), store the 5GB files on a hard drive, and have them readily available ondemand via my Mac Mini. With Blu-Ray (as it is now, without BD+) and HD DVD this is currently possible, and has been for over 3 months (don't know why 'the key' is getting so much play now that it is invalid...) But if Blu-Ray wins out this format war, things look like a locked down future.

This is what I am doing now, although with an AppleTV instead of a mac mini. I am ripping all my DVDs (anamorphic h.264 via HandBrake) so I can play them ondemand via my AppleTV. It is nice being able to just scroll through my list of movies on screen to pick one out, rather than having to go to the shelf and scan all the cases.
  • Reply 1635 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Universal Going Neutral?

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=180&page=0

Wow, this would effectively end the format war...no doubt about it.

keep the FUD to yourself..... but what would BD cheerleaders do w/out it?... Slow on BD flash?
  • Reply 1636 of 4650
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    What makes it so FUD-tastic??
  • Reply 1637 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

What makes it so FUD-tastic??

What makes it not?... Knowingly posting bad rumors?.....

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/05/09...going-neutral/
  • Reply 1638 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I saw a post by murch there. Hey Murch, that's not the Kevin Murphy is it?
  • Reply 1639 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

keep the FUD to yourself..... but what would BD cheerleaders do w/out it?... Slow on BD flash?

Did you say the same to murch and others writing about the WalMart players?
  • Reply 1640 of 4650
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

What makes it not?... Knowingly posting bad rumors?.....

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/05/09...going-neutral/

You do realise even that url makes the comment, "As much as we love to get the official word straight from the horses mouth, we can't help but feel like this is like the time the head coach was denying rumors of his star quarterback getting traded, right before the trade goes through." Even your post to deny the rumour is stating they feel it has credibility.

At this stage it should only be a matter of time. If I had an interest in that company I'd want to know why they were ignoring 70% of the market this year.