Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 1801 of 2639
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Still pretty expensive for one season. Still not a mainstream kinda buy that's going to drive massive sales or prevent massive sales.

Then your objection of NeXTSTEP as a major Jobs contribution makes no sense since it was innovative (IB and other UI aspects) and was THE foundation for the best and most widely used unix desktop on the market (OS X).

If that's descriptive of a participant, hey...shoe, fit, etc. Did you in fact look at Jobs' involvement with the Mac? No. How could anyone think that Jobs had LESS to do with the Mac than the LISA?

Which is why there are millions of PSPs, NDS, 360s and PS3s sold. None of these are inexpensive. But obviously the 18-24 male demographic has no disposable income. Because you say so. Based on your vast experience. As a former TV sales guy. In the 80s.

Note that the 'definitely interested' iPhone demographic is 15-24, 32% 24-34 and 31% 35-49.

50+? 6%.

http://www.srgnet.com/pdf/iPhoneBuye...ysisJune07.pdf

Boomers are not the target demographic for cool new technologies even when you count the under 50 set of which some arguably belong to the "Generation Jones" trasnition years.

LOL...I'm not the one declaring "done" and then coming back for another helping. Posture much? How about being done and staying done?

Whatever.

I notice that you have this feeling of " Gotta have the last word " probably due to being insecure about your age.

You don't need to be.
  • Reply 1802 of 2639
    The new PS3 update for 2.20 is now Live and running.

This will introduce Blu-Ray Live with internet downloaded content to the world via the PS3!
  • Reply 1803 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylen01 View Post

The new PS3 update for 2.20 is now Live and running.

This will introduce Blu-Ray Live with internet downloaded content to the world via the PS3!

Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to go see if I can install it now.
  • Reply 1804 of 2639
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Whatever.

I notice that you have this feeling of " Gotta have the last word " probably due to being insecure about your age.

You don't need to be.

Having worked at both NeXT and Apple I can calmly say you are talking out your arse if you don't grasp the advances NeXTSTEP brought to the entire Operating System History, period.

If it weren't for political ego jousting between Gosling, Tevanian and a few others you would have seen Solaris deliver on it's Openstep for Solaris which was completely ported, but never released due to legal issues.

You would have seen Sun Microsystems do what SGI did in the high end workstation Graphics world.

Now that we have OS X bringing the best of NeXT, Sun and SGI in OpenGL among other advances we are just finally seeing how important and influential NeXT and Steve Jobs teams were on the Industry.

Yes, we at NeXT were touted as arrogant OOA/OOD advocates and everyone spent years copying Interface Builder, WebObjects, the once mocked MVC Smalltalk advocated and NeXT religiously advocated and duplicating with hundreds and thousands of Engineers what a couple dozen Engineers did at NeXT.

It's rather ironic that an entire company of roughly 200 technical personnel [NeXT] reinvented Apple and was the driving force for it to become the darling of the industry, once more.

It has taken ten years for most of Apple's legacy to be removed and we are just now seeing why the founder of both corporations was so vital in seeing such a vision succeed.

Having Linux,FreeBSD,OpenBSD,NetBSD,OpenSolaris, ironically IBM/Novell/Trolltech/Suse/ and the FOSS Community has also been the other best half of the Industry this past decade.

What hasn't been the biggest influence of the Industry was Be Inc. BeOS had some interesting and fantasic ideas that with it's creators have lived on in OS X [Spotlight] and other companies.

Yet, when you look around Be Inc., was and never would have been a big player in the Industry.

It all began and ends with it's Founder, Gassee.
  • Reply 1805 of 2639
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Having worked at both NeXT and Apple I can calmly say you are talking out your arse if you don't grasp the advances NeXTSTEP brought to the entire Operating System History, period.

If it weren't for political ego jousting between Gosling, Tevanian and a few others you would have seen Solaris deliver on it's Openstep for Solaris which was completely ported, but never released due to legal issues.

And Solaris would have likely not suffered as great a mindshare loss to Linux as it did. The disaster that was CDE made Solaris just another pointlessly broken legacy unix without a clue. Like HPUX, AIX, IRIX, etc.

Had Sun run with OpenStep and not charged an arm and a leg for Solaris X86 then perhaps Windows might never have gotten a lot of traction on the low end server front.

And Sun would have gotten traction on the desktop.

Gods did Sun blow some seriously great chances to dominate computing. Folks whine about MS but many of the injuries suffered by their competitors (Netscape, Sun, etc) were self inflicted. Yes, they played dirty but had their competitors capitalized on some grand opportunities it never would have mattered.

I don't recall what year Dell decided to carry Solaris X86 (short lived...but they carried it like they do Ubuntu today) but can you imagine if OpenSTEP were on those machines?

Quote:

You would have seen Sun Microsystems do what SGI did in the high end workstation Graphics world.

Exactly. And been far more future proof than SGI turned out to be.

Quote:

Now that we have OS X bringing the best of NeXT, Sun and SGI in OpenGL among other advances we are just finally seeing how important and influential NeXT and Steve Jobs teams were on the Industry.

Well, not quite. The advantages of Solaris with scalability still cant be beat if you're looking at "big iron". But that's pretty niche. And we still don't have ZFS in OSX. I do obviously agree with the last part of the statement.

Quote:

Yes, we at NeXT were touted as arrogant OOA/OOD advocates and everyone spent years copying Interface Builder, WebObjects, the once mocked MVC Smalltalk advocated and NeXT religiously advocated and duplicating with hundreds and thousands of Engineers what a couple dozen Engineers did at NeXT.

Well you guys WERE arrogant but it was reasonably well deserved. IB and WebObjects were brilliant. WebObjects was one of the only frameworks that didn't SUCK for the longest time. CF sucked big time scalability wise in comparison to WO.

I still remember getting my pizza box and being floored how great that thing was in comparison to every other unix box out there.

Hmmm...now we've driven far off topic. Um...but Apple, Jobs, OSX CAN'T be off topic for any thread on AppleInsider!
  • Reply 1806 of 2639
    Quote:

Whatever.

You don't need to be.

No rebuttal on being only 6% of the iPhone demographic huh?

I have data. You have...extremely childish attempts at some come backs that didn't work too well even in grade school.

Seriously, did that ever work on anyone? "you just want the last word". No genius, I was just further debunking your unsupported assertions. As I bump into more data I'll keep on making your position look even more untenable.

Here's another quote: "M:Metrics revealed the demographic composition of iPhone users, which are similar to the demographics of other smartphone owners. They are more likely to be: male, aged 25-34, earn more that $100,000 and have a college degree, than the average mobile subscriber"

http://www.mmetrics.com/press/PressR...318-iphonehype

But hey...here's a little help. "Almost 25%" of buyers were 50+...too bad the actual largest buying demographic was still 20-30 males. That demographic you claim has no money. But hey, almost 25% sound a heck of a lot better than 6%. Never mind it still disproves your assertion.

http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/33429

Moving to another tech area

"Young Demographic - As is often typical with new technologies, young people are more likely than their older counterparts to engage in audio or video podcasting."

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4395550&EDATE=

It appears thus far that the young male demographic (I guess we'll want to go to the expanded 18-34 demo based on these numbers but leaning toward 18-24 segment due to the PS3 effect) is the one that likely will make or break BR over the next couple XMas.

Win these and BR will have sufficient momentum forward to overtake DVD in several years.
  • Reply 1807 of 2639
    Quote:

And Solaris would have likely not suffered as great a mindshare loss to Linux as it did. The disaster that was CDE made Solaris just another pointlessly broken legacy unix without a clue. Like HPUX, AIX, IRIX, etc.

Had Sun run with OpenStep and not charged an arm and a leg for Solaris X86 then perhaps Windows might never have gotten a lot of traction on the low end server front.

And Sun would have gotten traction on the desktop.

Gods did Sun blow some seriously great chances to dominate computing. Folks whine about MS but many of the injuries suffered by their competitors (Netscape, Sun, etc) were self inflicted. Yes, they played dirty but had their competitors capitalized on some grand opportunities it never would have mattered.

I don't recall what year Dell decided to carry Solaris X86 (short lived...but they carried it like they do Ubuntu today) but can you imagine if OpenSTEP were on those machines?

Exactly. And been far more future proof than SGI turned out to be.

Well, not quite. The advantages of Solaris with scalability still cant be beat if you're looking at "big iron". But that's pretty niche. And we still don't have ZFS in OSX. I do obviously agree with the last part of the statement.

Well you guys WERE arrogant but it was reasonably well deserved. IB and WebObjects were brilliant. WebObjects was one of the only frameworks that didn't SUCK for the longest time. CF sucked big time scalability wise in comparison to WO.

I still remember getting my pizza box and being floored how great that thing was in comparison to every other unix box out there.

Hmmm...now we've driven far off topic. Um...but Apple, Jobs, OSX CAN'T be off topic for any thread on AppleInsider!

I met quite a few really wonderful people who worked at Sun and a few at SGI. Back in 1996 the Industry was truly just starting to get hot again and people were trying all sorts of interesting projects.

Today seems like 50 projects on the same idea with all but 2 or 3 that ever seem appealing.

When the world stops fixating on Weblogging it will be a much better place and hopefully we can actually solve some real problems besides people and their narcissistic obsession about revealing often the worst traits the world was never really interested in knowing.

I'd love to make another run in Silicon Valley, but I'll wait just after it's been economically depressed enough to make it feasible to try again.
  • Reply 1808 of 2639
    Quote:

When the world stops fixating on Weblogging it will be a much better place and hopefully we can actually solve some real problems besides people and their narcissistic obsession about revealing often the worst traits the world was never really interested in knowing.

Is there an award for "most perfect sentence on the web"?
  • Reply 1809 of 2639
    Quote:

I met quite a few really wonderful people who worked at Sun and a few at SGI. Back in 1996 the Industry was truly just starting to get hot again and people were trying all sorts of interesting projects.

Today seems like 50 projects on the same idea with all but 2 or 3 that ever seem appealing.

I'd love to make another run in Silicon Valley, but I'll wait just after it's been economically depressed enough to make it feasible to try again.

Mmm...blogging tools and the like helped avoid another trundle down the middleware hell of heavyweight, RPC-like obfuscation of SOAP. RSS and REST have proven to be good enough for most purposes with the advantage of no heavyweight contract implemented by various vendors in slightly incompatible ways.

Twitter and others have been looking at XMPP pub-sub as their backbones over other opaque heavyweight and expensive alternatives.

And if weren't for blogging, we'd have almost no documentation on some projects.
  • Reply 1810 of 2639
    Quote:

No rebuttal on being only 6% of the iPhone demographic huh?

I have data. You have...extremely childish attempts at some come backs that didn't work too well even in grade school.

Seriously, did that ever work on anyone? "you just want the last word". No genius, I was just further debunking your unsupported assertions. As I bump into more data I'll keep on making your position look even more untenable.

Here's another quote: "M:Metrics revealed the demographic composition of iPhone users, which are similar to the demographics of other smartphone owners. They are more likely to be: male, aged 25-34, earn more that $100,000 and have a college degree, than the average mobile subscriber"

http://www.mmetrics.com/press/PressR...318-iphonehype

But hey...here's a little help. "Almost 25%" of buyers were 50+...too bad the actual largest buying demographic was still 20-30 males. That demographic you claim has no money. But hey, almost 25% sound a heck of a lot better than 6%. Never mind it still disproves your assertion.

http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/33429

Moving to another tech area

"Young Demographic - As is often typical with new technologies, young people are more likely than their older counterparts to engage in audio or video podcasting."

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4395550&EDATE=

It appears thus far that the young male demographic (I guess we'll want to go to the expanded 18-34 demo based on these numbers but leaning toward 18-24 segment due to the PS3 effect) is the one that likely will make or break BR over the next couple XMas.

Win these and BR will have sufficient momentum forward to overtake DVD in several years.

" You have...extremely childish attempts at some come backs that didn't work too well even in grade school. "

See what I mean.

And you call me childish.

Gotta have that last word.
  • Reply 1811 of 2639
    Quote:

Whatever.

You don't need to be.

yet obviously YOU are
  • Reply 1812 of 2639
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Laurie Fincham, Chief Scientist at THX, talks to Home Cinema Choice Magazine about Blu-ray's chances to become a dominant format of the future.

"In the future I want to be able to carry four to five movies around with me in a wallet, or walk into a store and have someone copy me a movie to a USB device. Stores will like that idea, because it's all about having zero inventory. I don't want to take up shelf space with dozens of HD movies."

"By the time Blu-ray really finds a mass market, we will have 128GB cards. I would guess that getting studios to supply movies on media cards, or offer downloads, will be a lot easier than getting them to sign up to support a disc format." he concluded.

Source. Personally, I think this guy's a nut. All of the studios are already supporting Blu-Ray, so I don't know how he thinks getting them to support something else would be easier than getting them to support something they already support. And I highly, highly doubt studios would be accepting of retail employees simply copying films to flash drives for customers; that would be like handing the entire film library over to pirates on a silver platter.

Who the hell would want a drawer full of hundreds of flash drives as their movie library anyway? Sounds very undesirable, and would never be as cost-effective to produce as discs anyhow. A 16GB flash drive is still $80, and you can't press millions of them quickly with content pre-loaded like you can discs.
  • Reply 1813 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Source. Personally, I think this guy's a nut. All of the studios are already supporting Blu-Ray, so I don't know how he thinks getting them to support something else would be easier than getting them to support something they already support. And I highly, highly doubt studios would be accepting of retail employees simply copying films to flash drives for customers; that would be like handing the entire film library over to pirates on a silver platter.

Who the hell would want a drawer full of hundreds of flash drives as their movie library anyway? Sounds very undesirable, and would never be as cost-effective to produce as discs anyhow. A 16GB flash drive is still $80, and you can't press millions of them quickly with content pre-loaded like you can discs.

He is a nut. A drawer full of flash drives is really annoying. I can see having a bunch of movies on my iPhone. Oh yeah...I can...

But it wouldn't be all that awesome if I didn't have FiOS or decent cable service. In areas without competition, internet service is still meh at times. 128Kbps ISDN over POTS or some creaky DOCSIS 1.0 plant servicing too many users on a pipe and aTV/iTunes isn't nearly as attractive even for DVD rez.

I suppose he's thinking like instead of having those RedBox machines dispensing a DVD you slide in your key and getting a movie. But that's the easy part...what the heck do you play it on? Some $300 device you have to buy to do secure playback? Your PC? Mkay...
  • Reply 1814 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

yet obviously YOU are

Hey Walter you're another one. I've given up as in you guys don't want to have a real discussion about BR it's pros or cons ( which is part of the format war and the subject of this thread ).

So I'm done and you guys can stay in your little bubble. I still hope BR succeeds but I'm just saying that's not a sure thing for reasons I've already listed.
  • Reply 1815 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

The hard part will be getting the studios to ok a transfer of that kind legally. Especially HD content. If you can copy it there's always a chance yopu can pirate it. That's what's holding stuff like that back. Not the technology. In the current climate the studios are so paranoid about this it has the same drawbacks as downloading movies.

They would have to figure out some kind of anti piracy protection and as we all know that stuff always gets broken.
  • Reply 1816 of 2639
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    The thing I love about this thread is that you can come in on any given day of any given month and you will find the same few people mercilessly slinging the same shit at each other.

Getting back to the story, I think the THX guy is dreaming too, the physical CD medium is too cheap to ever be taken over with flash. How was he thinking of doing this? Do the rental stores stock Flash or do you BYO? BYO is dangerous - you may as well just give the movie away free as the DRM will be cracked in a day. Stocking Flash Cards is out of the question - every store would have hundreds of thousands of $$$ in flash cards sitting around and not getting returned etc. Nightmare.

Downloads, maybe, but for many countries outside the US, we have download quotas and the speeds aren't great, so while thats going to take a portion of the market, dont expect it to take over any time soon.

We're stuck with Blu-ray for a while to come I think...
  • Reply 1817 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    While I'm not a charter member of the BR chorus, I have to step in on Walter's side here.

We've been discussing the pros and cons of Blu-Ray for YEARS now. Jimmac only showed up in this thread very recently and just at the end of the format war itself.

People who have been here a long time can't be expected to go over everything they've been saying for the last 3-4 years, just because somebody came in very, very late.
  • Reply 1818 of 2639
    Quote:

Hey Walter you're another one. I've given up as in you guys don't want to have a real discussion about BR it's pros or cons ( which is part of the format war and the subject of this thread ).

So I'm done and you guys can stay in your little bubble. I still hope BR succeeds but I'm just saying that's not a sure thing for reasons I've already listed.

Very few have said it's a "sure thing" given that BR is neither death nor taxes.

However it's not a binary choice between "sure thing" and "never happen". Right now it seems like a good probability that it will succeed. Not a "sure thing" but far better than the "low prob" you want folks to think with your "hopeful" talk.

If BR fails to get it together for this Christmas then it might become a "low prob" item but claiming it is today makes you just another hater. One that wont own up to it to boot.

Not like you want a "real" discussion anyway given that you continue fail to address the actual meat of any post and go for the fluff.

Buh bye.
  • Reply 1819 of 2639
    Quote:

The. War. Is. Over.

what? forgetful now?

Ps Bye then.
  • Reply 1820 of 2639
    Quote:

Mmm...blogging tools and the like helped avoid another trundle down the middleware hell of heavyweight, RPC-like obfuscation of SOAP. RSS and REST have proven to be good enough for most purposes with the advantage of no heavyweight contract implemented by various vendors in slightly incompatible ways.

Twitter and others have been looking at XMPP pub-sub as their backbones over other opaque heavyweight and expensive alternatives.

And if weren't for blogging, we'd have almost no documentation on some projects.

No one's slamming Technical Blogging. The original Internet had technical journaling and project collaboration as it's basis for existing.

For every technical blog that adds to the collective knowledge and advancement of Society I'd wager there are 100k - 1 million useless blogs centered around some narcissistic dweebs rantings and ravings, not to mention bling bling photos of their most often non-flattering body parts.

If it weren't for PORN the Internet as we have seen it advance would still be in the dark ages. It's when Porn goes Softcore and marries Blogging by calling itself MySpace, Facebook and every other clusterf*** of virtual stripmalling that we have on the Digital domains what we all hate and despise across the earth terrain--Urban Sprawl.

Am I against Pornography? Of course not. I will add, the reason Pornography is such a booming business is that most people do enjoy the beauty in the body and recognizes they most likely don't have that luxury in their personal lives. Most people live around that urban sprawl and all that it contains, including the scarred and damaged goods walking the streets turning tricks. Legalize it and don't be surprised if most of those street walkers have to get another job because they have nothing to compete against when quality will be legally available.

How does this correlate with the urban weblogging sprawl of the Internet? You can have a well-thought, well-designed and well intended solution to providing a Social Networking environment, but when you go for volume you target the lowest common denominator. That folks starts at the urban sprawl, stripmall mentality that has become America. You end up with MySpace and all the junk in the trunk and it's many mental impairments of thought and bad taste on personal weblogs.

Facebook attempts to clean it up by making everything more upscale. Then they turn every tidbit of code into an application that must be installed in order to once again, share junk in the trunk and bad taste of most consumers.

When you turn your Wall into nothing but another MySpace slutzone it may look a little nicer, but it doesn't have that vogue appeal anymore.

Meanwhile, serious conversation will never be massively popular as most folks don't know nor care about doing anything other than preoccupying their dull lives with mental distractions.

Perhaps that is one of the reasons the Internet2 has been kept away from the masses and their need for Billboarditis on the Web?

PHP and other "good enough" toolkits have made a lot of "good enough" solutions for the average hack and high school GED equivalent computer drone who now feels they've got game and understand the science behind computers.

Marketing money and advertising to the urban sprawl has reaped billions for Google, Myspace and Facebook. It hasn't created a sustainable revenue stream, but we really don't care about long-term in the world, when it's all about Now and what I can do to feed my boredom.

We spend thousands of responses about which medium will win out for the temporary timespan it will capture this latest generation of short attention span burnouts.

We've gotten so bored and unmotivated that geriatrics are putting up their own Porn Sites to make ends meat. It brings new meaning to carnality when people actually make money rollin' with someone one foot in the grave.

Meanwhile, we are ranting and raving about ``BluRay sucks cause it's Sony, '' to ``HD-DVD is DRM Free'' and ``Screw them both it's all Digital Baby'' and no one seems to really stop and think about THE PRODUCERS OF THE CONTENT other than which platform they select.

People spend countless hours belittling each other about which political candidate is best most often not having the capacity to discern their own candidates policy goals, while we continue to slowly expand and sit on our fat asses hopin' the next rumor will show us some other trinket we just gotta have to keep us from realizing how pathetically dull life has become.

0------0

I'll stop here. We used to debate for the sake of advancing ideas and ideals. Now we bitch, moan and complain archaic ideas and ideals to keep us from worrying about the unknown.

Innovation is about conquering the unknown. When are we going to actually focus on this again?