Review roundup: Motorola Droid, Verizon's first Android handset

Comments

• Reply 21 of 165
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Yeah, I saw that during the game too. Nice to have a team that spends the most money finally win a world series in this decade. Very proud moment.

The Yankees are an organization that only caters to obtaining premium players reulting in premium results. That's why Derek Jeter has 5 Rings. The Yankees won in 2000 - what decade was that?

I wonder if they use Apple's premium computers?
  • Reply 22 of 165
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

[CENTER]

This is not the droid your looking for.[/CENTER]

Awesome!!!
  • Reply 23 of 165
    The real fascinating thing about all this? Seeing the now famous Verizon/Droid ad "iDon't" right there on top of this article in the AppleInsider page. Think about it a second: this site lives Apple, breathes Apple, even uses the name Apple. And then, it advertises Droid. Voluntarily? Probably not, which is even worst. Did somebody say (Google)Ads here??? Or (Google)Droid, (Google)search, (Google)Analytics, (Google)Docs??? Oops. I really hope Apple is getting ready for this kind of war!
  • Reply 24 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Awesome!!!

Who is that a picture of?
  • Reply 25 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I love the review roundups.r.

Me too! Great job, AI! Thx for saving me a lot of time!
  • Reply 26 of 165
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Dunno why Moto made that phone look so fugly.

The Andriod phone I'm interested in is Sony's XPERIA X10. Hopefully it wont suck but it sure is better looking than the Droid. If the Kurara was Android I'd be thinking about it as well.

But these would be for development. My personal phone will be a 3GS.
  • Reply 27 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

More of the blazing speed and a phone that's not a chore to use.

What about the iPhone do you find to be a chore to use?
  • Reply 28 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I wonder what's on tap for iPhone v2010. Any predictions on whether/how Apple will advance the ball?

I like the question, and don't mean to be flip.

It will be thinner, faster and have a zoom camera, flash....

Others?
  • Reply 29 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Others?

Larger screen....but same footprint. There is too much empty space above and below the screen. Software drivers can automatically compensate for additional pixels.
  • Reply 30 of 165
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Android still only has three panels for displaying apps, versus 11 on the iPhone.

Seeing as the Droid only has ~500MB of space for apps, 3 panels seem like more than enough. That 16GB microSD card you get with it? That's only for your music, videos, pictures, etc. All according to Pogue.
  • Reply 31 of 165
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Others?

It'll send the competition back about 2 years. Again.

It's Apple.

As long as Steve Jobs and the current iPhone team exist, the competition will always be at a loss. It might sound simplistic, but it's true. Since 2001, Apple has successively redefined the handheld space. Even *wIth* the existence of Apple handhelds, as an example for others, no one was able to release anything as remotely successful and desirable as what Apple released.

Biggest threat to the competition: the very fact that Apple is a player in this space.

The only thing that can trump an iPhone . . . is the next iPhone. We have another iPod phenomenon here.
  • Reply 32 of 165
    Quote:

Others?

OLED, longer battery?
  • Reply 33 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

As long as Steve Jobs and the current iPhone team exist, the competition will always be at a loss. It might sound simplistic, but it's true. Since 2001, Apple has successively redefined the handheld space. Even *wIth* the existence of Apple handhelds, as an example for others, no one was able to release anything as remotely successful and desirable as what Apple released.

Biggest threat to the competition: the very fact that Apple is a player in this space.

The only thing that can trump an iPhone . . . is the next iPhone. We have another iPod phenomenon here.

?? Steve Jobs dies - the iPhone dies? Is that what you suggest?

And the last time I looked more people are still running around with Crackberries so not quite sure how you justify those claims. iPhone is not quite there yet.
  • Reply 34 of 165
    Quote:

Others?

Full Muti-app functionability.

Definitely a flash- though don't mention that to solipsism. He says that's not realistic and that we should get a real camera if we need it that bad.
  • Reply 35 of 165
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The Yankees won in 2000 - what decade was that?

The last decade, the last century, in fact.
  • Reply 36 of 165
    lets have two screens, one for the keyboard, that can double to run two apps at the same time, watch your email on one screen and internet on the other. or better turn by turn gps. and if its a little thicker, I don't care.
  • Reply 37 of 165
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Larger screen....but same footprint. There is too much empty space above and below the screen. Software drivers can automatically compensate for additional pixels.

I like the aspect ratio and size. The curved sides make the iPhone quite durable while retaining a svelte design. I do hope for higher pixels and a higher quality panel tech (if that is possible), though some of these devices are going overboard with pixels density when power is still an issue. At what point does it become pointless to increase the ppi? IOW, how many ppi can the human eye discern as better or worse when looking at very images?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

OLED, longer battery?

Is OLED durable for longterm usage and does it offer any power savings at such a small size? I?ve heard that it really doesn?t. Between LED-backlit LCDs and OLED, the LCD seems like a better choice.

How about those silver-oxide batteries that made a splash a couple years ago as the future of portable battery tech?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

Seeing as the Droid only has ~500MB of space for apps, 3 panels seem like more than enough. That 16GB microSD card you get with it? That's only for your music, videos, pictures, etc. All according to Pogue.

I find this to be a serious problem for the device. I understand the desire for some to have a microSD card slot, but in this era of App Phones 500MB can be an issue.
  • Reply 38 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It'll send the competition back about 2 years. Again.

It's Apple.

The Blackberry is still the #1 smartphone and Apple hasn't been able to change that in two years. So I'm not sure where you get no one has been abot to release anything remotely successful, its more successful.
  • Reply 39 of 165
    ....better be sure you like Verizon and the new DROID....termination fee has been doubled to $350.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10622...s-outrage.html
  • Reply 40 of 165
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

I've seen a lot of statements that the Verizon network can not support simultaneous phone calls and data access. Is that true? If so, the network advantage would still have to go to AT&T and iPhone. That capability is becoming too useful to even consider a network without simultaneous voice and data as a viable contender.

True. However, there was an update to the CDMA standard finalized earlier this year which allows for simultaneous voice/data. Even after Verizon rolls out their 4G network, it will exist side-by-side with the CDMA network for the forseable future. So the question is whether Verizon will upgrade their CDMA network to the new standard?

But as of today, Verizon can not support simultaneous voice/data.

However, you should also keep in mind that ATT only supports simultaneous voice/data on their 3G network (from my understanding). And as Verizon clearly and correctly points out in their recent adds, ATT's 3G coverage is very limited. Basically, if you don't live in a big city, you won't have 3G and won't have simultaneous voice/data.