'Mark the Spot' iPhone app aims to find AT&T trouble areas

Comments

• Reply 41 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I seriously doubt Apple would let VZ publish an app into the App Store for the sole purpose of ridiculing AT&T's network. I seriously doubt most iPhone users would even be bothered with such an app. Why would AT&T publish an app that would actually help shore up its network to then discard the data?

Do people think before they post?

It's the conspiracy theory mentality.
  • Reply 42 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Like I have time to run this AT&T app- " Oh excuse me I have to run an app and issue a report to my cell phone carrier- I'll be with you in a minute."

Not really trying to diss you, but in the time it took you to complain about AT&T in these forums, is the time it would've taken you to complain about AT&T to the the people in AT&T who can actually do something to help! (PS. Not saying AT&T has good coverage, just saying that if someone's gonna complain, complain to AT&T)
  • Reply 43 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shinrah View Post

if its crap dont use it please go to verizon and live happily ever after

That is not the answer. Opening the phone up to other carriers so everyone can get good coverage is the correct answer. I would think everyone on this forum would be in favor of that.

I downloaded this app today and will put it to good use. I ride the train every day so I wont break any laws using it.

Too bad I had to hear about this from an Apple Rumor site instead of hearing it from AT&T. They couldn't send me an email?
  • Reply 44 of 147
    Quote:

What a joke! This amounts basically to a publicity stunt to give the impressioon that they're on it. Us iPhone users are supposed to help salvage their crap reputation? HA!

Dude, you whine when it breaks, you whine when they make an attempt to fix it, or at the very least try to find the problem areas. IMHO, those who whine like this never have been in a position to put their decisions on the line. It's one thing to throw stones all the time, another to hop up on the pedestal and lead.

I do agree with another comment, it would be cool if Apple would build this into the OS, so the phone could report on signal strength silently. Betting there would be some sort of privacy issue with that though.
  • Reply 45 of 147
    Lots of computer programs have bug report options. AT&T has simply created a similar feature for their network. Treating this like some evil act by AT&T is just silly.

The iPhone has put a tremendous stress on the AT&T network. iPhone users consume far greater amounts of bandwidth than almost any other smartphone group. Customers want more and more network capacity for lower and lower prices.

Early indications are that Android owners are showing similar increased usage rates. It'll be interesting to see if competing networks can handle the load as more and more of these smart phones come to market.
  • Reply 46 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AT&T has released an iPhone application that gives customers the ability to notify the carrier of their location when they experience poor service.

Considering what and how the information will be captured, not only will it help to direct AT&T where the bottlenecks are, but since you have to be a customer, the true issues can be identified.

Certainly, this initiative can only help fix the areas where it it most needed. The only people that I can think of that would complain are not iPhoners. Many of which are here as I write.

With one noticeable exception.
  • Reply 47 of 147
    The problem I have is that it is too little too late. When I first moved to DC, I immediately called AT&T to complain about the service. Here is how it went:

AT&T: Hello this is AT&T how can I help you?

Me: I just moved to the DC area and the coverage in my house is terrible, here is my address

AT&T: Well sir, our "map" shows full 3G coverage, your phone must be bad.

Me: I have three phones in the house and all of them do not work.

AT&T: Well sir then all your phones must be bad, our map says you should have coverage, anything else I can do for you today?

Me: Yes, do you have the number to Verizon?

With that kind of customer service I am supposed to believe they all of sudden will fix things because I plugged it into an app? Not likely, just a ploy to counter the Verizon attacks. I can guarantee many upon many customers call about bad service and nothing is done.
  • Reply 48 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cargillk View Post

It could be an effort to improve the service now that Verizon has embarassed them

Regardless, it's a good step for them to take. Hopefully, they'll respond with some real investment and fortify their coverage.
  • Reply 49 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

This is a tough crowd to please.

If AT&T did not ask for customer feedback, you'd be all over them. And now when they do, you complain. AT&T is doing exactly what they should: Identify the most critical problem areas, and allocate resources to correct them...ASAP. It's called "low hanging fruit". It increases customer satisfaction and reduces costs.....which is exactly what every company should do.

I had AT&T ten years ago and left them because I literally could not complete a phone call.

When the iPhone came out, I gave them another chance based on the coverage map on the website and I figured in ten years they would have improved their network somewhat.

The reality is that coverage in my area is almost exactly the same as it was (or was not) before. The map was not accurate.

Instead of improving their network, they decided to partner with Apple and take a free ride without any expenditure.

Now their crapping in their pants because they're going to loose their exclusivity contract. So they came up with a "rant app" figuring it will keep customers around a little longer.

Nice try. It's only 18 days until Christmas. I hope the 64 gig verizon iPhone is almost ready to ship. Cause I'm ready to buy.
  • Reply 50 of 147
    What about the rest of AT&Ts customers? They just gave the big FU to anyone that does not have an iPhone on their network.
  • Reply 51 of 147
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Dude, you whine when it breaks, you whine when they make an attempt to fix it, or at the very least try to find the problem areas. IMHO, those who whine like this never have been in a position to put their decisions on the line. It's one thing to throw stones all the time, another to hop up on the pedestal and lead.

I do agree with another comment, it would be cool if Apple would build this into the OS, so the phone could report on signal strength silently. Betting there would be some sort of privacy issue with that though.

When does tethering arrive?
  • Reply 52 of 147
    In silicon valley, specifically around Palo Alto and Stanford U., AT&T reception/signal strength is abysmal. N.B., that this is only a few miles away from Apple corporate headquarters in Cupertino, CA. When a friend of mine called AT&T to complain about this problem, he was asked, "Are you in a building? We don't guarantee reception in buildings." He next went outside and experienced the same problematic reception. Upon reporting this to AT&T he was next asked, "Are you near any trees? We don't guarantee reception near trees." Does this mean that AT&T only guarantees reception in open fields (presumably) in range of cell tower(s)? Unbelievable!

antediluvian
  • Reply 53 of 147
    Quote:

It shouldn't require an App - plain and simple. If something fails - this info should be automatically sent to AT&T just like when your Mac applications fail. You're automatically asked if you want to send a report to Apple detailing the log, etc. AT&T is trying to reboot their image and this ap crap is lame. I for one am not using my HD to give AT&T a helping hand. I doubt the info they get will even get looked at for a long time. Is AT&T going to update us on how they intend to coorrect the situation. Hell no.

Oh that's funny after all the complaints about apple, a 3rd party app that runs on an OS your constantly whine about (since everyone knows Steve Jobs builds/designs computers solely for teckstud) is supposed to do every imaginable thing you can spew out of your nonsensical mind should be offered on 1.0....huh.

Additionally, you also constantly complain about At&T service and tout Verizon's inferior non-simultaneous data/voice network as much better. But when the chance for you to pro-actively do something about it you instead choose to...wait for it....whine about it. Geez I have been saying since the 3G came out, that's the best thing for the Iphone, because of the simultaneous data/voice, I had to point that out to a girl yesterday on her BB on verizon, and she said hers does too....shortly there after she called me while sitting there, she had to said...oh nevermind....you cant.....ding, ding, ding! I am glad the commercials came out, now I can stop having to tell people myself..

Frankly I dont see how you would have time to use the app anyway since you spend most of your time on this forum boo-hooing like a 5 y/o that didn't get exactly what they wanted for their birthday..
  • Reply 54 of 147
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

Oh that's funny after all the complaints about apple, a 3rd party app that runs on an OS your constantly whine about (since everyone knows Steve Jobs builds/designs computers solely for teckstud) is supposed to do every imaginable thing you can spew out of your nonsensical mind should be offered on 1.0....huh.

Additionally, you also constantly complain about At&T service and tout Verizon's inferior non-simultaneous data/voice network as much better. But when the chance for you to pro-actively do something about it you instead choose to...wait for it....whine about it. Geez I have been saying since the 3G came out, that's the best thing for the Iphone, because of the simultaneous data/voice, I had to point that out to a girl yesterday on her BB on verizon, and she said mine hers does too....shortly there after she called me while sitting there, she had to said...oh nevermind....you cant.....ding, ding, ding! I am glad the commercials came out, now I can stop having to tell people myself..

Frankly I dont see how you would time to use the app anyway since you spend most of your time on this forum boo-hooing like a 5 y/o that didn't get exactly what they wanted for their birthday..

Dude- do you know how many people actually use that data/voice BS that has suddenly become the only lame comeback to counter Verizon ? I would venture next to none. Who cares? I've never had any desire to interrupt a call and browse the web and I doubt most people do as well. Besides that and playing music in the background( a nice feature but hardly a real app ) why can't I browse the web and answer my text messages simulaneously. Why? Where the real multi app functionality? We'll probably get it in June to combat Plam , google, etc. but for now it's virtually non-existent. Your pom pom chearleading is what's really juvenile not my stating what should be included on my device. And where is tethering for that matter?
  • Reply 55 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antediluvian View Post

In silicon valley, specifically around Palo Alto and Stanford U., AT&T reception/signal strength is abysmal. N.B., that this is only a few miles away from Apple corporate headquarters in Cupertino, CA. When a friend of mine called AT&T to complain about this problem, he was asked, "Are you in a building? We don't guarantee reception in buildings." He next went outside and experienced the same problematic reception. Upon reporting this to AT&T he was next asked, "Are you near any trees? We don't guarantee reception near trees." Does this mean that AT&T only guarantees reception in open fields (presumably) in range of cell tower(s)? Unbelievable!

antediluvian

No one, not even our beloved Apple, can promise wireless signals thru buildings (even tinted glass reflects signals), thru trees, thru trucks, and up and around hills/valleys. Laws of physics can not be changed. Hence this App to help them spot troubles and implement solutions.
  • Reply 56 of 147
    Quote:

Dude- do you know how many people actually use that data/voice BS that has suddenly become the only lame comeback to counter Verizon ? I would venture next to none.

I use that feature all the time. It's sort of like "power windows"...you don't know how nice a feature is until you use it.

I use the iPhone for business and personal use. I run Cisco's WEBEX App almost every day. I can dial into a conference call AND view the data presentations live over 3G. All of the remote Verizon participants sit idle....only able to hear....hearing all of their sales opportunities evaporate. Thank you Apple and AT&T....you have put me at a competitive advantage.

Concurrent Voice/Data is PRICELESS. Verizon is so last century.
  • Reply 57 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antediluvian View Post

antediluvian

The key word in their response is "guarantee." None of the wireless carriers guarantee reception anywhere, ever. You could be at an absolutely optimal location relative to a cellular tower, on a clear day, with no one else on their network for miles, and reception is never guaranteed. That's weasel-wording in the support manual.

Regardless, I think the app is a nice first step. They've got to do something with the data they collect to improve coverage, reliability, and quality for it to be more than lip service. It is certainly no substitute for solid, continual testing. Since I'm sure AT&T's professional testers have to keep to public land and common areas, it could help with indoor coverage issues, assuming the iPhone locates the users adequately. Remember that the iPhone geolocation relies on GPS, cellular towers, and WiFi hotspots (all wireless systems) to accurately locate the issue, as well.
  • Reply 58 of 147
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Dude- do you know how many people actually use that data/voice BS that has suddenly become the only lame comeback to counter Verizon ? I would venture next to none. Who cares? I've never had any desire to interrupt a call and browse the web and I doubt most people do as well. Besides that and playing music in the background( a nice feature but hardly a real app ) why can't I browse the web and answer my text messages simulaneously. Why? Where the real multi app functionality? We'll probably get it in June to combat Plam , google, etc. but for now it's virtually non-existent. Your pom pom chearleading is what's really juvenile not my stating what should be included on my device. And where is tethering for that matter?

Dude, I don't get your point about SMS and the web. How do you do both on Verizon. The whole multitasking issue is blown way out of proportion. Most Apps on the Iphone open rapidly and save state when shutdown so for the average end user there are only a couple use cases which really cry for a background demon. Social networking and Navigation are at the top of my list for Apple and Voice with Data for Verizon. As far as it being non-existant that is you buying the marketing bullet. The Iphone OS multitasks. The functionality is not available to 3rd party applications.
  • Reply 59 of 147
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    AT&T knows exactly where its calls are dropping.

Cellphone connections from moving people suddenly dropping only to be reconnected later.

AT&T has that information.

They just failed to act on it so far.

To me this app is much more a marketing gag than anything else.

Motto: 'see my dear (eager to leave) customers we are proactively sorting this mess'.

BS
  • Reply 60 of 147
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shinrah View Post

if its crap dont use it please go to verizon and live happily ever after

Actually I just did what you suggested. I had (still have) an iPhone 2G which I was using on Tmobile. I was willing to use it with AT&T but they wanted a 2 year contract to activate the phone. No thanks. A friend was so desperate to have my calls and texts being answered properly again that he GAVE me his BB STorm for free after he upgraded to the Droid. It isn't an iPhone but multitasking Pandora and Google maps while still being able to get email and even hit a web page or two doesn't stink. I'll admit I didn't experience pre-5.0 software nor have the phone before the time when the GPS was locked so I'm experiencing it at it's best time.

That said we now have three out of four phones out of contract and the last one will be out of contract on Mother's Day. I will be looking for the next iPhone release and make a decision there again. I'll be happy to give Apple my money if they can make sure my iPhone won't be an expensive iPod Touch. I also want reasonable costs and coverage. I get 20% off data and 15% of plans and have perfect coverage. Apple has to realize there may not be a phone that is better than the iPhone but there are plenty of smartphones that are good enough for consideration.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

GOOD JOB AT&T - at least you're proactive (or reactive) and seem to want to fix the problem. Now, if only my fellow iPhone owners can provide solid data - maybe your service can continue to improve.

Oh, and nice job with the ads. I didn't realize that with Verizon, I can't talk on the phone and use data services. A very good point indeed.

Now, can we get the voice and data plan for iPhone down to that of other phones - if you could, I think a lot of AT&T haters would start to change their tune.

Maybe you should also realize that you can only do voice and data on 3G parts of the network so any time you are on EDGE you are stuck with one or the other. Also remember that everything most folks don't mind multitasking with wifi and the network since they can multitask with APPS all the time rather than just the Apple approved exception.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Lets be real. Noone here is leaving for VZ because they're not getting the iphone anytime soon. Noone here is leaving their iphone behind for another carrier because lets face it, there's nothing better out there. So why don't all you disgruntled iphone users enjoy your product by assisting att in this trivial matter. I mean how hard is it to report your outage. Worst case data gets discarded, best case...hey, your network will get better.

It's not your responsibility but neither is helping to clean up your block when trash is everywhere but in front of your doorstep

I believe I stated that I just left the iPhone for another phone on another carrier. I'll easily admit the Storm isn't as good as the iPhone for certain things, though it is a MUCH, MUCH better phone and messaging device. Finally it works EVERYWHERE. The network is as close to perfect as I can imagine. Verizon even sent me a gift for coming back.

Tmobile was great for customer service though the mostly attempted to fix things by tossing minute at you. I really had no problems with them except for the fact that their coverage was not Verizon's. At least they didn't charge you an arm and a leg for it though AT&T does.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I had AT&T ten years ago and left them because I literally could not complete a phone call.

When the iPhone came out, I gave them another chance based on the coverage map on the website and I figured in ten years they would have improved their network somewhat.

The reality is that coverage in my area is almost exactly the same as it was (or was not) before. The map was not accurate.

Instead of improving their network, they decided to partner with Apple and take a free ride without any expenditure.

Now their crapping in their pants because they're going to loose their exclusivity contract. So they came up with a "rant app" figuring it will keep customers around a little longer.

Nice try. It's only 18 days until Christmas. I hope the 64 gig verizon iPhone is almost ready to ship. Cause I'm ready to buy.

If the iPhone shipped on Verizon, I would slap down money for the biggest and best version of it today without a single qualm. As it is I'll evaluate the situation next June.

Quote:

When does tethering arrive?

No doubt. I use tethering on Verizon and it is amazing. It is expensive but since I only use it when camping and you can prorate it, it is totally worth it. When the family is at the dunes for a week, $7 for 1.5 mbps downloads all week is cheap.