Palm CEO, former Apple exec says he's never used an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 221 of 259
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

that does mean that no one does.

You do so that means everyone should? How about stop complaining that your needs aren?t in sync with most of the world and just deal with it. You have a poor internet provider where you live. Suck it up or move. You have to wait month until shows for finish their season before you can watch on disc because you can?t afford to stream or download it the next day. Sure that can suck, but why would you want everyone to have to deal with the same crap you do? Blame your ISP not the rest of the world.
  • Reply 222 of 259
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Yeah you can actually stream saved iTunes content from your Mac to your PS3 or 360. You just cant stream directly from Apple which is what the ATV does.

If the PS3 didnt have such a horrific browser and terrible flash compatibility id get rid of my Mini and keep my keyboard and magic mouse since they both sync with PS3 (sans flick scrolling)

Yeah, that PS3 browser is atrocious, isn't it?

Shame, really... otherwise I could see myself plugging in 500+ GB HDD, adding decent Bluetooth kbd and mouse (or kbd with touchpad) and replacing my HTPC completely.
  • Reply 223 of 259
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You do so that means everyone should? How about stop complaining that your needs aren’t in sync with most of the world and just deal with it. You have a poor internet provider where you live. Suck it up or move. You have to wait month until shows for finish their season before you can watch on disc because you can’t afford to stream or download it the next day. Sure that can suck, but why would you want everyone to have to deal with the same crap you do? Blame your ISP not the rest of the world.

You need to slow down a little, take a couple of breaths, and re-read that message in context. You are away on one of your rants and making a fool of yourself like usual.

The message you quote was referring to that persons lack of knowledge of dlna, but no, you have to have another rant about how you are superior to everyone else. What has anything you posted about above got to do with dlna, nothing. Even reading the details in your post, it is pure rubbish as usual.
  • Reply 224 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But they don't. The PS2 is second banana to the Wii, and younger people watch less Tv.

They watch less TV program, but they still watch TV

And PS2 is still number one. They should have around 140 million units sold by now.
  • Reply 225 of 259
    Quote:

Mostly a game machine.

I'd agree that it is primarily a game machine, but it is pointless as long as it does all other things well. Having more options is always good.

That being said, I did purchase mine mostly for BR. Having option to play games and stream/play DivX and other media was just added bonus over stand-alone BR players.

A couple of friends have seen mine and are considering it for same reasons; as all of us are 30+ and having capable PCs for gaming, that is not much of a surprise, especially that PS3 rates high in BR playback quality.
  • Reply 226 of 259
    Quote:

We really don't know what those numbers mean. Most people using Live Gold are playing games after all.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/goldBenefits.htm

It's still mostly used for games.

Both MS and Sony have high hopes for their consoles, but so far they're used almost all for games.

Most people that have them also have DVD players which they use for movies and Cds. A DVR for Tv shows. They do a better job of it.

It is not really important here.

If Macs are more used for checking emails, browsing web and updating Facebook profile than for editing photos and videos, no one will say that Macs are mostly Internet machines, or that they are not good for editing videos. We all know that they are perfectly capable personal computers for whatever people are using them (except games).

Likewise, PS3 is great multimedia centre. Yes it plays games, but yes it plays BRs, DVDs, CDs, other digital media. Trying to play it down just because more people will game on them than play DVDs is like playing Mac down for more people emailing than doing home videos.
  • Reply 227 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desides View Post

In other words, Rubenstein doesn't see the benefits of going about things the correct way. He doesn't even want to leverage iTunes' plugin system, as RIM does with their new Blackberry Desktop Software, to access iTunes and sync with Mac apps legitimately.

Either Palm's programmers are intensely incompetent or Rubenstein is just looking for headlines. With such low sales of the Pre and Pixi, it might just be the latter.

He's ticked cause he bought into an irreversible disaster. Palm was tanking & the Pre was a last ditch effort to pull it out of the pits. With no clout left in the hardware game they decided to go exclusive with Sprint, yet another catastrophic mistake.

Two simple things could have really changed the course of their now failed product:

1) Build your own sync app ya floozies!

2) Either no non-exclusive or make the deal with Verizon! I think an exclusivity deal with Verizon might have very well changed this whole story, including the success of the iPhone.

Palm seems to have little to no insight regarding how much work actually needs to go into making something a success. They also should have known better than to get an ex Apple employee to head up the team, it almost seems like the attempts to be an iPod fake were really just Rubenstein carrying a grudge. People don't blame Apple for their sync constantly breaking, they blame Palm. Palm should have known this would happen.
  • Reply 228 of 259
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desides View Post

Either Palm's programmers are intensely incompetent or .....

Ummm yea, I'm gonna go way out on a limb and say you've never had the extreme pleasure to have run Palm Desktop over the many many many painful years of its existence.

• Reply 229 of 259
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

1) Build your own sync app ya floozies!

You sir are giving them WAY too much credit...
  • Reply 230 of 259
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:

Yes, until you crash. Defensive driving is still best.

But you never will be the record breaker. Risk to be irrelevant by falling behind as defensive driving are equally scary.
  • Reply 231 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vngannxx View Post

If he never uses a iPhone then he uses a iPod touch?

from wiki:

"Developing the iPod

Due to the relatively low sales of its Mac computer brand, Apple decided to expand its ecosystem in order to increase its consumer awareness. The iPod came from Apple's "digital hub" category,[9] when the company began creating software for the growing market of personal digital devices. Digital cameras, camcorders and organizers had well-established mainstream markets, but the company found existing digital music players "big and clunky or small and useless" with user interfaces that were "unbelievably awful",[9][10] so Apple decided to develop its own. Even though it was a space with immense market potential, previous products had not enjoyed any notable market penetration[11][12].

Steve Jobs charged Rubinstein with coming up with a portable music player on a rushed, eight-month timetable.[9][10] It was Rubinstein who recognized the utility of the iPod?s key technology, the tiny, 1.8-inch hard disk drive on which music is stored; he came across it while on a routine visit to Toshiba.[9] Engineers there had developed the drive, but were not sure how it could be used.[9] It was Rubinstein who assembled and managed a team of hardware and software engineers to ready the product.[11] The team?s engineers needed to overcome a number of hurdles, including figuring out how to play music off a spinning hard drive for more than 10 hours without wiping out a battery charge.[11] Rubinstein?s production contacts proved invaluable, too; the iPod?s sleek, minimalist design, with its high-gloss, engraveable metal back, was a mass-manufacturing triumph.[10] The success of the first-generation iPod was almost overnight.[13] By 2004 the business became so important to Apple that the iPod was spun off into its own division, which Rubinstein took over.[9]

Other iPod models were released on a regular basis, increasing the device?s capacity, decreasing its size, and adding features including color screens, photo display and video playback. By early 2008, more than 119 million iPods had been sold,[14] making it not only the most successful portable media player on the market today but one of the most popular consumer electronics products of all time.[15]

While Rubinstein?s fingerprints are on the iPod?s development,[16] he was also instrumental in creating a robust secondary market for accessories such as speakers, chargers, docking ports, backup batteries, and other add-ons.[10] That gear, produced by a network of independent companies that came to be known as "The iPod Ecosystem", generates more than $1 billion in annual sales.[17] In the 2007 fiscal year, the iPod generated $8.3 billion in revenue, or about a third of Apple's sales.[18]

In October 2005, Apple announced that Rubinstein would be retiring on 31 March 2006.[19] It was later announced that he would make himself available for up to 20% of his workweek on a consulting basis.[20]"
  • Reply 232 of 259
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

If Macs are more used for checking emails, browsing web and updating Facebook profile than for editing photos and videos, no one will say that Macs are mostly Internet machines, or that they are not good for editing videos. We all know that they are perfectly capable personal computers for whatever people are using them (except games).

Likewise, PS3 is great multimedia centre. Yes it plays games, but yes it plays BRs, DVDs, CDs, other digital media. Trying to play it down just because more people will game on them than play DVDs is like playing Mac down for more people emailing than doing home videos.

MBP 15 IN 2 GPU CHIP MODEL IS A GAMING COMPUTER

SHOW EMA fasTER BETTER WINTEL BOX

please
  • Reply 233 of 259
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

What is DLNA and why should I care? Haven't heard much about it, all the gadget sites hardly ever mention it as well, in my experience.

Because it's still in its infancy (yes, it's been around a while but 2009 was when it was supposed to become big...not so much) and only starting to become useful for anyone not a geek streaming video from a NAS, PC or MCE. It might become really important but I'm thinking it's DOA given that streaming directly from YouTube and Netflix via something like NetCast (LG BR and HDTVs) and Connected HDTV (802.11N in Vizio HDTVs) is more useful to anyone not a geek with a 3TB NAS worth of ripped DVDs.

When that sort of stuff is in a $150 BR player or being built directly into HDTVs DLNA doesn't matter much at all.
  • Reply 234 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

MBP 15 IN 2 GPU CHIP MODEL IS A GAMING COMPUTER

SHOW EMA fasTER BETTER WINTEL BOX

please

Number of mobile core i7 and i5 notebooks with much more powerful graphics than MBP were introduced on CES... like ASUS G73Jh, or NX90 for example:

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=3708

But that is irrelevant - when I sad Mac doesn't excel in gaming, I was more referring to "Mac as it is supposed to be used" - with OSX. With Windows, it is just another Wintel box, after all.
  • Reply 235 of 259
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:

I have problem following you here.

For example, I'm a hobbyist photographer, however my cameras are not beta - they are, actually, very mature products.

My friend is flying model planes, some of them very expensive, non of them beta.

Since when hobby means beta?

How can a product - being sold to consumers - be beta? Software freely distributed, yes... but actual product? Being sold? For money?

If that is true, I sincerely hope SJ will not go into car industry. I'd really be scared to see some beta cars on streets.

It isn't really beta.

It's just that Apple is acknowledging that they haven't yet figured out what they want to do with it long term.

There is quite a hobby market that's grown up around it though as Apple treats it more like a computer than a closed device.

Jobs said to do whatever you want with it.

You can get keyboards, hard drives, Software that will allow 1080p playback. Software that will allow playback of just about any audio or video standard etc. Games are there too. Plugins that will let it work with Boxee.

Tons of stuff.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...addons&spell=1

It seems at times that Apple is letting this group of people decide what this thing is going to do.
  • Reply 236 of 259
    Quote:

They watch less TV program, but they still watch TV

And PS2 is still number one. They should have around 140 million units sold by now.

I did say less. But it's MUCH less. And going down.

Yes, the old PS2 s still going strong. But unit sales have been falling, and PS3 unit sales have been rising. How many have abandoned their old PS2's and gone for 3's? A lot by now.
  • Reply 237 of 259
    Quote:

I'd agree that it is primarily a game machine, but it is pointless as long as it does all other things well. Having more options is always good.

That being said, I did purchase mine mostly for BR. Having option to play games and stream/play DivX and other media was just added bonus over stand-alone BR players.

A couple of friends have seen mine and are considering it for same reasons; as all of us are 30+ and having capable PCs for gaming, that is not much of a surprise, especially that PS3 rates high in BR playback quality.

I bought mine for BD playback as well, except for a couple of games. But my daughter and her friends used it for games all the time. Now that she's away in school, it remains idle unless we're watching a movie. But when she came home for vacation this past month, the game room was open again.

One reason they like it so much here, rather than at someone else's home is because of the 61" Tv and high end audio system connected to it.
  • Reply 238 of 259
    Quote:

Yes, but his case is that this is a BIG use for the machine, which it's not. Same for the 360.
  • Reply 239 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1st View Post

But you never will be the record breaker. Risk to be irrelevant by falling behind as defensive driving are equally scary.

There's a difference in being a good driver, and one who cowers behind the wheel. Even race car drivers say they don't feel comfortable driving in the street.

The point is that you have to see what others are doing, and anticipate them. That doesn't mean that you must just follow the herd.

And look at Apple.

Other than with the original GUI OS, which Jobs got the basic idea for when he was invited to Palo Alto by Zerox, and the short lived Newton, what has Apple done that's revolutionary?

Well, nothing really.

That's not what Apple does. Apple looks at what's out there, and waits to see where things are going, and how it's being done. Only if they think they can do something better, do they involve themselves. That's Jobs thoughts. He said that.

So, in a way, Apple is a defensive driver. A very good one. Maybe the best.

But you can't work in a vacuum.

It's almost impossible to believe that Jon hadn't held and used an iPhone or an iPod Touch, if just to get the feel of it.

"Used" can mean a lot of things, but it doesn't have to mean that he bought an iPhone and a two year plan with it to mean that he used it.

Used can mean five minutes. His statement gave the impression than he never even held one.

If Palm was a sprawling company, with hundreds or thousands of products, I would believe that the CEO never used most of them from their competitors. But Palm is a small company with a very few products, and is tightly focussed. That's why this is so tough to believe.

Has he also not used the Blackberry, Windows Mobile phones? What about smartphones from Nokia, or Samsung? How about HTC?

You see why this is so impossible?

Also, to say they weren't focussed on the iPhone is nonsense! It's pretty obvious it was.

Sorry to put all this in the reply, but I thought that I might as well, in explaining what I meant.
  • Reply 240 of 259
    Quote:

There's a difference in being a good driver, and one who cowers behind the wheel. Even race car drivers say they don't feel comfortable driving in the street.

The point is that you have to see what others are doing, and anticipate them. That doesn't mean that you must just follow the herd.

Sorry to put all this in the reply, but I thought that I might as well, in explaining what I meant.

Melgross, I really appreciated your reply. But HE is no other, He was the designer of the Apple ipod. What kind of vacuum is that? If he is anyone else, I would agree with you 100%.